American Idol and "I Told You So. . . ."

My suggestion -- if you don't like AIE, don't go. But don't hope for the show's demise just because it's not your cup of tea.

I agree, I won't be going anywhere near AIE but realise that some people will love it.

Remember as well not everyone gets to go every year or several times a year so things like lights ,camera action which are boring and old for you, will be new and exciting to others.

Its our first trip and DS13 is really looking forward to seeing lights, camera, action and Indiana Jones ("*** they blow stuff up!") :rotfl:

I agree, I won't be going anywhere near AIE but realise that some people will love it.

Remember as well not everyone gets to go every year or several times a year so things like lights ,camera action which are boring and old for you, will be new and exciting to others.

Its our first trip and DS13 is really looking forward to seeing lights, camera, action and Indiana Jones ("*** they blow stuff up!") :rotfl:
Absolutely! I'm very fortunate in that I can go to WDW several times a year. I'm looking at over 20 trips at this time...I've done the Indy show three times..and for me, that was one time too many. But, when you go with someone who has never seen it, well..you just have to go. And when we did the Lights,Motors, Action show, we saw a motorcyclist fall and get hurt...severely messed with my dd's head. It wasn't the best thing for her to see. We did that attraction simply because it was new and dh wanted to see it. There isn't a lot for guys/boys, so this one fits the bill.
But, we've been there, done that. And I'm sure there are those who feel the same about AIE. I know, for sure, that my dh wouldn't be sitting through one of the AIE shows if our dd wasn't performing in it...he hates that kind of stuff!!!

It's funny how the conspiracy theororists keep insisting there are Disney "plants." This is a legal contest with a prize, governed by very strict rules. The only time Disney used plants was during soft openings, and they had to disclose that very clearly at the beginning of the show. Believe what you want (yeah, I'M a Disney plant...I'm part of the conspiracy!), but I have a friend who works Idol and I know without a doubt that all those people are guests. If they weren't, there would be a clear disclaimer.

I see your point,but I tell you I think the show I saw was fixed. We were waiting outside before the show started and the CM made the whole crowd waiting yell,"We love you Shannon!" for the camera. When we got into the theater,we find that one of the contestant's names was Shannon. At the beginning,we were asked a question with choices and they put up the results almost instantly. When we finally voted,they didn't tell us how many people voted for each contestant when they had plenty of time to. Guess who won? Yep,Shannon. Maybe she wasn't a plant,but Disney sure wanted her to win. Why didn't they have us yell we love you for the other 2 contestants?

I see your point,but I tell you I think the show I saw was fixed. We were waiting outside before the show started and the CM made the whole crowd waiting yell,"We love you Shannon!" for the camera. When we got into the theater,we find that one of the contestant's names was Shannon. At the beginning,we were asked a question with choices and they put up the results almost instantly. When we finally voted,they didn't tell us how many people voted for each contestant when they had plenty of time to. Guess who won? Yep,Shannon. Maybe she wasn't a plant,but Disney sure wanted her to win. Why didn't they have us yell we love you for the other 2 contestants?

Depends - when did you go?

Me and my boyfriend tried as hard as possible to not even acknowledge it's existance when we were at DHS last week. Kind of hard, though, when they have recruiters outside the gates in the morning, a huge screen uglifying the area around the hat, a photo opportunity next to a main walkway, and people from the show walking around with signs pinned to their shirts all day.

At the end of the day, it nearly broke my heart to hear "A Star is Born" from Hercules being played from the theatre. Hercules is my favorite Disney movie, and it makes me so mad that they've used one of it's songs to promote such a horrible and stupid attraction. :sad2:

American Idol has no place in Disney parks.

I just wanted to add my two cents. When we went last time, I had no plans and no desire to see AIE but when we were walking by a show was getting ready to start and my group expressed some interest, so I said "sure, why not?".

I do not watch the TV show and had no expectations. The three young performers were pretty good - not great - but I gave them a huge amount of credit for going out there. The bad judge was harsh and the audience booed. The performers did not seem upset by the criticism. I think they were told to expect it. It was great fun and everyone enjoyed it. We will likely go again on our next trip.

I am not a fan of the show so of course I am not a fan of the attraction and I agree with the OP about it being a bust of an attraction being that nobody wants to be criticized while on their WDW vacation, Whether or not the attraction eventually would be terminated I dont care, but I definitely think something much better could be placed there. I also agree with it having no place in WDW because there is nothing Disney about it, so why put in an attraction that is only there because of a TV shows popularity.

. . . the attraction with the cars (Lights! Motors! Action!) which bored me to tears.

:eek: If Lights! Motors! Action! bored you to tears, then you might need to check your pulse because you could very likely be dead! Are you kidding me? The amount of precision that goes into the driving, let alone the stunts, is simply amazing! If LMA bored you to tears, allow me to suggest the absolutely thrilling Journey into Narnia: Prince Caspian. Thrill at the . . . um. . . props!

American Idol Experience. . . it's the new Sounds Dangerous!

Not to gloat from a previous post I made in February where I predicted a huge disappointment with park guests with this attraction. . . . .

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2067441

From what I am hearing (and with the addition of the HUGE sign at the front of the park), it sounds like Disney is struggling to fill the American Idol Experience. Are they actually making announcements during the day on the park PA system? I thought this was ONLY done for emergencies???!?!?!?!?!?! I guess the show has reached "Emergency" status.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Well I don't know about "predictions", but I can tell you that none of my extended family has *any* interest in this attraction. In fact, DS was recently down on a school trip with something like 25 of his classmates, and none of them participated in this attraction.

For me personally, I think AI is highly overrated to begin with and was very dissapointed that they decided to make a whole attraction about it.

I am about as interested in AIE as I am in anything that has to do with High School Musical (1,2 or 3) or Hannah Bannana :banana: Montana. LAME!

We enjoyed the shows 2 weeks ago. We went to the finale show one night and the theatre was packed. We enjoyed it.

I'm looking foward to seeing it in September because I'm a huge idol fan. I just think it is your personal taste

I'm very fortunate in that I can go to WDW several times a year.

:cool1: :woohoo: :wave: :dance3:
BTW - John/Towncrier's daughter had about the same experience as yours last week :).
But it was a day after we came home so we didn't get to see it.

As for the AIE show, I have been pleasantly surprised :thumbsup2. I watch the real show regularly, but I didn't have high expectations for this addition. I expected it to be lame. However, it is a lot of fun. Plus, since it is a show, it seems to be an appropriate attraction for MGM/DHS, which to me is greatly lacking these days. They need more Hollywood/movie/TV stuff, and that's exactly what American Idol is.

My only complaint is that AIE is not as fun for me as WWTBAM Play It!! :snooty: :teeth:. They should have kept Millionaire PLUS added the American Idol Experience AND Toy Story Mania.

I haven't been to the finale show yet, but after hearing all the good things about it, I'm going to make sure that I see one on my next trip.

While we were there in February we personally had absoutely no desire to see American Idol. :)

They do this for every show including the finale and that person does not win every time.I have probably been to 5 or 6 shows total since it opened and that person has won twice so far.

We saw and liked it. Theater wasn't packed, but not empty either. You could tell the "Simon" judge was saying the things he says as part of the show/act. If someone took him too seriously they have never seen the show - that's what he is supposed to do.

Here's the way I look at it...without AIE, there's still plenty of fun to be had at DHS. So each person watching AIE is one less person at GMR, ST, ToT, RnRC, or anything else I enjoy doing. It never ceases to amaze me how some people think that EVERY attraction in a park should be appealing to them. If you want a park to have 100% likability to you, then build your own park. Otherwise, take advantage of the time people are "wasting" in AIE...if they closed it, those people could be in line ahead of you wherever you are.

Very wise words! I suspect I'll catch a show while I'm down there. I'm not a huge fan of Simon, but I'll enjoy some good singing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter