American Idol and "I Told You So. . . ."

I also agree with it having no place in WDW because there is nothing Disney about it, so why put in an attraction that is only there because of a TV shows popularity.
If you look at it from the standpoint of "making dreams come true", then there is something Disney about it. Some people have always wanted to sing on a stage and feel what that would be like. At AIE, they have a chance to do that. Some people have always wanted to audition for American Idol but can't, due to age or location or whatever. At AIE, the have a chance to do that.

Now, it may not be YOUR dream to do that, but for some people, it's a really cool and fun and wonderful thing to audition, get chosen, sing in front of an audience and maybe win. To them, that's a "Disney thing" -- the ability to let them do something they'd never otherwise be able to do. But just because it's not YOUR dream, doesn't make it any less.

:earsboy:

Just saw this show during our trip last week, I think we attended an afternoon performance on Sunday 5/10, maybe the same one mentioned by goofygirl as ours also had 2 college age girls and a 14 year old boy. He sang the Disney song "Go the Distance" (from Hercules?) and he won our show. I enjoyed the show. I thought it was very organized and they moved things along really well. All 3 of the performers were decent at our show so that made it nice. We didn't have to wait at all to get in and the show started a few minutes after we got there. It was just about 30 minutes long. My husband and parents aren't AI fans but they enjoyed the show as well.

Here's my feeling....... everyone has different tastes. If you'd rather ride the Rock n Roller Coaster 3 or 4 times instead of going to an AI show, then so be it. But if you are just looking to experience all the different attractions available at DS, then it's a good one to try. It's in an air-conditioned theater with comfortable seats. Not a bad way to spend 30 minutes. If you are adults or have children ages 8+, you're maybe skipping Playhouse Disney, The Little Mermaid, etc. and this is a good replacement show to try. If you don't like to hear people sing, then you might not want to see the show.

Me and my boyfriend tried as hard as possible to not even acknowledge it's existance when we were at DHS last week. Kind of hard, though, when they have recruiters outside the gates in the morning, a huge screen uglifying the area around the hat, a photo opportunity next to a main walkway, and people from the show walking around with signs pinned to their shirts all day.

At the end of the day, it nearly broke my heart to hear "A Star is Born" from Hercules being played from the theatre. Hercules is my favorite Disney movie, and it makes me so mad that they've used one of it's songs to promote such a horrible and stupid attraction. :sad2:

American Idol has no place in Disney parks.
Kind of harsh, don't you think??? I really didn't notice all that much AIE stuff, or people with AIE tags in the park. After all, only 21 people get those 'vote for me' tags. If you don't like an attraction, you don't need to do it.

:eek: If Lights! Motors! Action! bored you to tears, then you might need to check your pulse because you could very likely be dead! Are you kidding me? The amount of precision that goes into the driving, let alone the stunts, is simply amazing! If LMA bored you to tears, allow me to suggest the absolutely thrilling Journey into Narnia: Prince Caspian. Thrill at the . . . um. . . props!
I most certainly have a pulse, but like I said, we just aren't into stunts. We went because my dh wanted to check it out...then a motorcyclist got injured, which really upset my dd. Again, there is something for everyone at WDW.

I see your point,but I tell you I think the show I saw was fixed. We were waiting outside before the show started and the CM made the whole crowd waiting yell,"We love you Shannon!" for the camera. When we got into the theater,we find that one of the contestant's names was Shannon. At the beginning,we were asked a question with choices and they put up the results almost instantly. When we finally voted,they didn't tell us how many people voted for each contestant when they had plenty of time to. Guess who won? Yep,Shannon. Maybe she wasn't a plant,but Disney sure wanted her to win. Why didn't they have us yell we love you for the other 2 contestants?
Wrong.....there are three contestants. At every single show, each contestant placement gets a certain schtick....my dd was in spot #3...she had all those outside yelling...'We love you Kat, you're our AI', the person is spot 2 had a preaudition interview and then shots of them outside the bldg. I forget what spot number 1 had....but it is the same for every single show. I assure you, my dd was not a plant.

We were there last Saturday....About 80% full, but the park was not that busy...It was enjoyable....

:cool1: :woohoo: :wave: :dance3:
BTW - John/Towncrier's daughter had about the same experience as yours last week :).
But it was a day after we came home so we didn't get to see it.

As for the AIE show, I have been pleasantly surprised :thumbsup2. I watch the real show regularly, but I didn't have high expectations for this addition. I expected it to be lame. However, it is a lot of fun. Plus, since it is a show, it seems to be an appropriate attraction for MGM/DHS, which to me is greatly lacking these days. They need more Hollywood/movie/TV stuff, and that's exactly what American Idol is.

My only complaint is that AIE is not as fun for me as WWTBAM Play It!! :snooty: :teeth:. They should have kept Millionaire PLUS added the American Idol Experience AND Toy Story Mania.

I haven't been to the finale show yet, but after hearing all the good things about it, I'm going to make sure that I see one on my next trip.
I miss WWTBM as well....we had some great times there, didn't we?! Wish they would bring it back..ah well.

Wrong.....there are three contestants. At every single show, each contestant placement gets a certain schtick....my dd was in spot #3...she had all those outside yelling...'We love you Kat, you're our AI', the person is spot 2 had a preaudition interview and then shots of them outside the bldg. I forget what spot number 1 had....but it is the same for every single show. I assure you, my dd was not a plant.

Do you get to see/hear the people yelling that on the camera? That'd be pretty cool to see.... I assume you do (it wouldn't make much sense otherwise), but I wasn't sure.

In defense of the attraction, I had about 30 "show choir" students on a trip to Magic Music Days, and they were all excited about the show at first. So it definetely pulls the "teens" in.

But, honestly, after the show, nobody said much about it. They were disappointed/upset with the rude judge! I found that fascinating. On TV, they love Simon. In person, they don't want to hear/see somebody being rude. I think it has to do with the "impersonal" feel of TV. It's fun to watch every week, but no fun to see somebody berated in front of people.

Again, WWWD? Berate, belittle, demean, and be rude to guests? I highly doubt it. . . . . . .

I miss WWTBM as well....we had some great times there, didn't we?! Wish they would bring it back..ah well.

Wonderful times ::yes::.

I did hear on Regis & Kelly the other day that Regis is doing some new prime time WWTBAM shows later in the summer. I'm guessing for ABC. Just proves that they did get rid of the attraction too soon! :snooty:

We were there last Saturday....About 80% full, but the park was not that busy...It was enjoyable....

We went to the 12 noon show, and it was not as bad as I thought it would be.:confused3 However, I have a complaint....the SEATS ARE WAY TO NARROW FOR ANY "NORMAL" SIZED BUTT!!:sad2: If they change the seats, I will go more, but once was enough for me.:rolleyes:

Wonderful times ::yes::.

I did hear on Regis & Kelly the other day that Regis is doing some new prime time WWTBAM shows later in the summer. I'm guessing for ABC. Just proves that they did get rid of the attraction too soon! :snooty:

It'll be on for two weeks this summer. They're doing contestant searches around the country in June. Go to millionairetv.com and look for contestant info if you're interested! I'm hoping they'll come somewhere near Chicago -- I've been on two game shows, didn't win (on both I did as well as you can and not win) and am sick thinking my chance to make good on all this useless knowledge in my head might be past.

- Erin

Me and my boyfriend tried as hard as possible to not even acknowledge it's existance when we were at DHS last week. Kind of hard, though, when they have recruiters outside the gates in the morning, a huge screen uglifying the area around the hat, a photo opportunity next to a main walkway, and people from the show walking around with signs pinned to their shirts all day.

The huge screen is "uglifying" the area around the hat? IMO, the hat has really made ugly the entire front half of the park. It is an eyesore and destroys the views of the Chinese theater.

I just am still shocked that ABC and Disney are the same company, but they promote Fox's biggest show with this thing?

Will they do a Simpson's ride at Diz next? Or a Shrek attraction and promote a difefrent movie maker? I don't think so .... so why a Fox show?

I don't understand your position. AIE is not the first attraction based on a non-Disney movie or tv show. Star Wars is not a Disney movie, yet Star Tours has been in the parks since the '80s. What about Indiana Jones? There's been a stunt show based on that non-Disney movie for years. Disneyland has had a ride based on Indy since 1994. Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disneyland both have Indy inspired rides. Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is based on a non-Disney television show, and you can find a version of this ride in Florida, California, Paris, and Tokyo. Muppetvision opened way back before Disney bought the muppets, both in Orlando and Florida. Rockin Roller Coaster uses Aerosmith music, a group who is not under contract with Disney.

Originally Posted by BayouMickey
Yup just like the show has one.....
Like nobody from day one could not see who was "chosen" to win this years competition "sir scream alot"
I ain't gonna argue with you there...Disney might be running a fair game, but I'd bet the farm that the real show is fixed.

Yup -- the fix was SO in for Adam that Kris won. What is up with all of the conspiracy theorists??

Someone owes me a farm.

Do you get to see/hear the people yelling that on the camera? That'd be pretty cool to see.... I assume you do (it wouldn't make much sense otherwise), but I wasn't sure.
Yep....when that particular performer comes out, to be interviewed, they show a clip of all the 'fans' out front. It is pretty cool.

In defense of the attraction, I had about 30 "show choir" students on a trip to Magic Music Days, and they were all excited about the show at first. So it definetely pulls the "teens" in.

But, honestly, after the show, nobody said much about it. They were disappointed/upset with the rude judge! I found that fascinating. On TV, they love Simon. In person, they don't want to hear/see somebody being rude. I think it has to do with the "impersonal" feel of TV. It's fun to watch every week, but no fun to see somebody berated in front of people.

Again, WWWD? Berate, belittle, demean, and be rude to guests? I highly doubt it. . . . . . .
It was really interesting to see how far the judges would go in their 'rudeness'. The 'Randy' and 'Paula' judges were okay...'Randy' judge actually had some good imput, 'Paula' judge was less useful. But the 'Simon' judge seemed to be able to judge who would take the most criticism. That was one reason we decided to check it out the day before dd was due to audition. We didn't want any surprises if she made it through. She knew going in that the 'simon' judge would be meaner.
But, she did say that she felt better after he spoke to her..one on one. That took away a lot of the sting.

The huge screen is "uglifying" the area around the hat? IMO, the hat has really made ugly the entire front half of the park. It is an eyesore and destroys the views of the Chinese theater.

I'm with ya on that one!! :thumbsup2

Alas, Walt is no longer with us. And times have changed. No one can possibly predict WWWD? in this day and age.

It's a judge in a talent show. A talent show that the guest herself (or himself) has voluntarily chosen to participate in. It's not like people are being kidnapped from the streets, made to sing, and then belittled for the audience's amusement. I would say that 99% of the people who audition are fans of the show (or at least know how AI works) and fully know what they're getting into. No one's forcing them to be up there.

I have only seen a couple of shows, but I have two friends whose daughters have sung in it (e.g goofy4tink). And I spoke to another guy in the audience who was going to be on stage later in the day. All 6 singers that I have heard were good enough to be in a school talent show, or to at least do karaoke without making a crowd wince or laugh hysterically.

To me it seems like with the audition process they have, Disney is actually doing a pretty good job of purposely weeding out the truly awful people. It is Disney, and I don't think they want anyone to be humiliated by the crowd because they are terrible singers who are simply embarrassing themselves. Has anyone seen a genuinely horrible, awful singer who truly thinks he/she can sing up there? Like the bad ones on the TV show at the beginning try-outs? Maybe it has happened, but I would be surprised.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter