American Adventure

Harters2WDW

DIS Veteran
What exactly is American Adventure? By the time we hit WS, our girls are usually asleep and we are just cruising through. Or, they are awake and we are either looking for characters or food! :) We miss a lot -- I know the WS is a whole new world for us to explore one day.

So, is American Adventure something worth taking DD6 and DD2 to this summer?

It's an audio-animatronic show the runs through some of the major events in American history. I really enjoy it, but it's not the most entertaining for young kids. It might be a good place for them to have a nap since it's dark, but they'll most likely get bored pretty quickly, especially the 2 year old.

There is a fife and drum corp that plays in the area in front of the American Adventure building that they might enjoy. DD first saw them when she was 4 and was mesmerized. She's 7 now and still talks about them and how she wants to see them again.

Absolutely it is worth taking your children to see. For many people it is an attraction that is never to be missed. For others it is something that they need to see once, just to tick it off the list. For others it is a welcome respite from the sun and heat on a summer's day. And really, nationality and age has nothing to do with whether or not you will appreciate the attraction. I'm not an American but my family enjoys the show very much. Try it for yourself and see. I've included a link to the Disboard's description of the American pavilion:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guides/epcot/epws-unitedstates.htm

And a link to the WDW site's description of the attraction:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/epcot/attractions/american-adventure/

My DS at 4 loved American Adventure and still does. He was captivated by all the different stories told and liked seeing Benjain Franklin 'alive' b/c he had leared a little about him in preK at that point (the key/kite story kids version). It is a very touching story and as DH always points out if you dont like the show it's a great place for a rest and nap while DS and I enjoy the show.

DS also loved Hall of Presidents at MK b/c Lincoln spoke at at the time he went to Lincoln Elementary school.

I like to think of it as the Hall of Presidents on Steroids.

I like HOP, and LOVE AA.

If you're indifferent about HOP, may not recommend AA.

The singers in the lobby are amazing!! My DD8 & DD5 loved them. The animatronic show was good but I thought too long. It is a very nice break from the heat but my DD5 fell asleep and I almost did. I think it is definitly something to see at least once. I will probably not go back and do it again. With that said my DD8 is really getting into history so I might have no choice. I think the better show about American History is the Hall of Presidents. Just my opinion.

I will repeat some of this from another thread concerning American Adventure.

"The Movie" as it has been referred too...is one of the most elaborate, technically designed show probably anyplace in the world. The whole world, I'm referring too. The anamatronics show is as unbelievable as anything you can imagine. If one doesn't like the "propaganda" that the show unapologetically displays, I don't know how they are not jaw slacked by the show itself. Sometimes it looks so real that you expect actors to come out and take a bow.

American Adventure is a beautifully done show of slides, movies and anamatronics. It depict American History as much as a short presentation can. If you are a US citizen it will leave you a little verclempt. (sp?) Some criticize the historic accuracy of the past, I can only tell you that the part that I have lived through is pretty accurate. If you tell the little ones that the show is acted out by "robots" it might activate their attention a little. :rotfl:

Absolutely worth seeing at least once. I am amazed at how many have gone to Epcot and, in some cases, didn't even know it was there. Put it on your list...I will go out on a limb here and say that I think you will be glad you did.

The Voices of Liberty also sing (you can find the times on the Attractions sheet) several times a day. It is a brief show, that my daughter has seen several times since she was about 2. It's a strong recommend.

We have never seen AA. I thought it was just a movie. It sounds interesting but at 29 minutes long :scared1: I think the kids would get antsy. Is there a way to sneak out early or is everyone trapped like Universe of Energy?

We have never seen AA. I thought it was just a movie. It sounds interesting but at 29 minutes long :scared1: I think the kids would get antsy. Is there a way to sneak out early or is everyone trapped like Universe of Energy?

You aren't trapped like Universe of Energy. If you think you'll need to leave, please go to the far side of the theater and sit on the end nearer the exits. The hosts will help you out. I think the show is wonderful; some kids and adults, not so much. It's very annoying to those of us enjoying the show to have people in the middle of the theater fidgeting and talking about leaving. Just leave already!

AA is a must-see for me, and I think would be worthwhile for kids 6 and up (who presumably have some knowledge of basic American history already, such as the pilgrims, the Revolution, the Civil War, etc. A 2-4 year old, not so much, but hopefully it'll be a good naptime for them. I do think it's the most interesting WS attraction, even though Maelstrom and the Gran Fiesta tour may appeal more to little kids.

It's amazing, is what it is! :thumbsup2

Seriously, though. It's pretty epic. Don't miss out the next time you get a chance to experience it.

I make my DD (12) go and watch both the American Adventure and the HOP show every time we go. I love them both. We generally go during value season. She misses school, so I figure it's the least she can do since she's not in class. She's not impressed, but I'm sure some of it has sunk in over the years!

Definitely worth the time if you haven't seen. I'm pretty patriotic, and generally catch myself choking back tears at AA, HOP, nd the voices of liberty. :thumbsup2

Course, I bawled at the Epcot fireworks too...and when my family visited tinkerbell for the first time!

What exactly is American Adventure? By the time we hit WS, our girls are usually asleep and we are just cruising through. Or, they are awake and we are either looking for characters or food! :) We miss a lot -- I know the WS is a whole new world for us to explore one day.

So, is American Adventure something worth taking DD6 and DD2 to this summer?

It's tells the story of the history of the USA. It is worth it for sure and very interesting! It talks about the struggles of the new nation and how we got to where we are today. Your 6 your old mind be interested in it but it may be boring for your 2 year old.

The quote from Goofyernmost's post above is spot-on. The mutli-media blending is extremely well done. Well worth at least a one-time shot.:earsboy:

My feeling is very simple. Just because you are an American doesn't mean you should skip the show. Part of being in World Showcase is learning about different countries and I'll bet there are some points made in the American Adventure you didn't know about. I'll never go to France or China or most of the places in Canada but I see those films. Why not stop by and see what America has to offer?

And if you are an American, it's kind of tough not to get a bit emotional with the montage of Golden Dreams at the end. If you have kids, it's a great time to explain to them who all those people were. It's better than a school American history lesson if you choose it to be.

DH and I made a point of going in to see the Voices of Liberty and AA last year and it was great. We are not American but we are both interesed in history and we found it informative and well presented. I did not expect to get emotional at the end montage but both DH and I both said it left us choked up.
If you have time the museum has a few cool things to look at. Never many people in there.

I must admit to crying during the voices of liberty when they sang and dream is a dream your heart makes. I really had to fight not to sob my eyes out. Even if you can't spare the time to see AA go and watch the singers. The sound they create from a small group is amazing.

For young kids its going to have limited appeal but they might find the enough in the visuals too keep them interesed. Its not a loud show (I always find Ellen to be super loud) like some so they might just nod off.

Thanks to everyone! It's nowon our list. I told DD6 about it and she wants to see it. Maybe DD2 will actually nap! And on a hot, August day, it will be a welcomed break out of the heat! I'm excited to experience something new!

Just make sure to see it early in your trip, and when you are not tired. I love the show, but it does run about 25-30 mins and sometimes, sitting in a dark theather in comfortable seats....well.....let's say I have had a few naps.
I don't want to...but I can just feel myself going.

My 10yo loved it, 3yo was semi-interested, and 14yo was bored senseless (he resents any attempt to sneak learning into vacation time unless it is science related :rotfl:). I think it is a great attraction and love taking the time out to do it, but we don't get to it every trip just because we always have more things we enjoy than we have time around the World Showcase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter