Am I the only one who does not really care too much about the view?

DaveH

DIS Veteran
I have reading posts about how great a certain view is, should I call to get such and such. I am not badmouthing folks for doing it. I am more curious is it really worth all the aggravation and heartache. We ask for non-smoking for health reasons. That is must. We ask for top floor so we do not have to hear a lot of nose from folks having a great time in tier rooms. If we do not get the top floor no big deal. I am just curious.

We don't particularly care about the view either. Just being there is enough. Usually the only time we use the balcony is early morning for coffee/tea or later in the day to relax.

That being said, I did request a BW view this time around. We could not get a Standard View, only Preferreed, so we figured we would give the BW view a shot to see if we like it.

If I am in a room with a balcony then the view is very important because I use the balcony a lot but if the room does not have a balcony like a moderate or value resort then the location of the room is important but I could care less about the view. I would never pay extra for a preferred view in a moderate or value resort because you really can not enjoy the view unless you are standing at the window and even then you have a hallway to look out on before you even see the view.

When we go to WDW, I always put in a request for certain views. Sometimes we get them, sometimes we do not. I do not let it ruin our vacation, though. When we stayed at the Poly last year, I had 3 choices of requests that I had faxed to the room controler. I was hoping to get atleast one of them, but it didn't work out. We didn't have a patio or balcony or any kind of view. I was disappointed when we first got to the room, but by that night I loved it. We were on the 2nd floor of Tuvalu, right above the entrance door, with palm trees or bamboo blocking any view of the next building a few feet away. It sounds like it would have been terrible, but it was one of the best rooms we've had. The thickness of the palms or bamboo totally blocked anyones view into our room. It also helped with the noise of the people coming and going. We were able to leave our sliding door open the entire time for the nicer sounds (birds, crickets, etc) and if we really wanted to see we just leaned out the door.

Dave,

I feel the same way, I ask for the NS because of DS's severe allergies, an upper floor if available and then take what I get. We don't spend that much time in the room anyway so view is only something I notice when I sit on the balcony before the kids wake up or before they go to sleep. I figure I don't need to complicate the reservation or "worry" if I'll get what I wanted. Maybe when I'm older and I spend more time in the room that would be of concern to me (LOL i'm always the first one up and ready to go!):)

I never request a certain view either. Non-smoking for health resaons (2 ds's with asthma), but other than that, I really don't care where we are. I'll get to look at some part of WDW no matter what I see out the window, and I'm very happy with that. Also, if I did request a particular view and didn't get it, it might be a bit of a letdown. I'm not willing to take that chance on my first day!! LOL!
All that said, I think I might be unhappy with the "garbage" view I've heard some folks talk about.

We have requested views twice at WDW...once on our honeymoon and once when we stayed at AKL. For our October and January trips to the BCV, we have requested top floor Epcot views, but if we don't get them, so be it. I wouldn't ever request a view if it meant paying extra for it. When we stayed at the BWV, we had a standard view, and it was of the front entrance, and I quite liked watching the activity and thought the lights were very pretty at night. We generally don't spend enough time in the room for the view to matter.

I, too, don't request certain views. The only request is NS. The only time I'm on the balcony is when we first get in the room or to make a cell phone call. For some reason AT&T works better outside than inside the room.

Cyn

Like the others, I don't request a view either. Last year at VWL we were facing the side closest to the bus stops. One afternoon I sitting on the balcony and saw deer out in the woods. Sometimes whats in the view, you have to look for. It was pretty cool. We don't spend much time on the balcony either. I just so happy to be at WDW, that I try not to let things bother me.

:p :p :p :p

At the BWV I seem to like all the views....some of my favorite have been facing the entrance and parking lot.....I just aim for the cheapest points.....and views don't matter.....

I have made requests like to be near others in our party and NS and everytime the only thing that has come through as a request was NS....requests never work for me.....good thing I like all views...

My guess is that most people are like you. I suspect many don't even have that many requests. I usually request only non smoking, also for medical reasons and NOT to have a handicapped room.

I have to request 1st or 2nd floor as my husband has panic attacks on elevators due to his being claustrophobic and has to use stairs. But he doesn't like to go up to the fourth or fifth floor by stairs everytime. I also request non-smoking for my allergies. As for the view, we live on a large mid-western farm and have a beautiful view from our house so view is not that important to us at WDW. Now if I lived in a big city and all I saw was buildings and asphalt and cars, etc. I would probably want a woods or courtyard or lake view. That being said, I usually do request pool view though, but only because we spend a lot of time at the pool and hot tub and that way we are usually located closer to it.

Donna

Views don't matter. At BWV, just get me close to the elevator and give me a nonsmoking room.

To be honest, views mean nothing to me either. I always request non smoking but that's about it.

At OKW I don't like the check in area, too busy so I usually request Turtle Bay Pond. At BWV, I always get a standard view.

In all the times, I've been to Disney, I have never once sat on any patio and looked at anything.

In all the times, I've been to Disney, I have never once sat on any patio and looked at anything.

Oh you should try it sometime! It is great to sit on the balcony first thing in the morning with a cup of coffee and watch your resort wake up or last thing in the evening with a glass of wine and watch your resort all lit up and getting ready to go to bed.
To me a balcony is a BIG consideration when staying in a deluxe resort or DVC. I do not get all bent out of shape if we do not get our requested view but I do always request a view.

I'm not one to sit out at home either, when we get back to our "home" at the DVC, I enjoy sitting inside in the air conditioner and relaxing.

I will tell you we've gotten great use out of that big round table in the one bedroom of the OKW, playing cards on a rainy evening more then one night on our last trip.

I'm not one to sit out at home either,
It is so funny you posted this statement because right after I posted my last reply I realized that I enjoy sitting out and greatly enjoy sitting on my front porch at home in the summer months--I just like this. So I guess if you are a person that would use and care about the balcony then it will be a consideration if you will not use the balcony it will then be a non issue. Once again nothing at WDW is for everyone! Viva le difference!

Don't care as long as we're there! I do have to agree with the non smoking room though. Or as long as they spray the magic spray. That works too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter