Am I the only one who can not make Theme Park ticket Reservation this morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was (is) a large server issue that has impacted multiple sites and companies this morning. It is possible that Disney is a part of that. Multiple games and other websites were also impacted.

There is definitely a CenturyLink issue, but there might be something more than just a ISP/backbone issue for Disney.

My DVC membership is completely unlinked from my MDE account.

FYI... park reservations are back up. And, good news... it seems as if availability for AP holders is way up. We can get into any park today.

There is definitely a CenturyLink issue, but there might be something more than just a ISP/backbone issue for Disney.

My DVC membership is completely unlinked from my MDE account.

Remember, server technology means there is not one single computer handling every aspect of Disney's applications. Functions are distributed across a vast number of servers in multiple locations. Some functions will have failover backups, others will not. In the event of a communication outage, i.e. an ISP has a major disruption, parts of the system may not be able to communicate with others, while other parts are just fine. Where you are located often plays a part as well, as there will be multiple paths that hit different mirrored servers all across the world.

How these type of outages manifest themselves in any particular case is always something of an unknown.

Steve

Remember, server technology means there is not one single computer handling every aspect of Disney's applications. Functions are distributed across a vast number of servers in multiple locations. Some functions will have failover backups, others will not. In the event of a communication outage, i.e. an ISP has a major disruption, parts of the system may not be able to communicate with others, while other parts are just fine. Where you are located often plays a part as well, as there will be multiple paths that hit different mirrored servers all across the world.

How these type of outages manifest themselves in any particular case is always something of an unknown.

Steve
What?? You mean it's not just "the server is down"? Or my personal favorite, "the system" :)

I cannot make Dining reservations this morning. Every single restaurant is showing no availability for Oct 30. I could not even see that an hour ago.

FWIW, Oct 30 is 61 days from today, so you won't be able to make ADRs for that day until tomorrow.

Steve

It's likely just the one issue causing various symptoms like that.

Maybe a failover site with data integrity issues?

That would still be a Disney issue IMO.
What?? You mean it's not just "the server is down"? Or my personal favorite, "the system" :)

As much as I appreciate the condescending, pompous attitude, I am the lead systems engineer for a large tech company.

We actually had the same problem with CenturyLink, but you know, without the service outage to our customers because we architect our systems properly. We have a 5-9s SLA for the majority of our corporate clients. We don't make excuses because a service provider is down.

It still is in fact, a Disney problem. Not everyone has low availability standards.

But, by all means, feel free to enlighten us all with your great wisdom.

Last edited:

Steve

Right, and the issue is that the service isn't designed to withstand their service provider outage.

That would still be an issue with Disney. It's 2020 and they're a big company. It's common to have distributed services not rely on a single external provider nowadays.

No modern RCA process is going to "welp, ISP was down... That's life. What are ya gonna do?"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter