Am I the only one puzzled by Pandora?

I do see disliking a movie to the point of avoiding a ride that is themed after it - I plan to avoid the Gaurdians of the Galaxy ride in DL for that very reason so I definitely think some people may do just that. Luckily I'm only Luke warm for avatar and thus will still enjoy pandora and all it has to offer. I think most are just apathetic to avatar rather than repulsed so all in all most people will still enjoy it.

It's going to be great! I hope they have some stilt walkers playing Na'vi somewhere in the area, maybe a character spot or a street performer. I bet both rides will be relatively tame, but that's OK as long as they are well done. Who knows... with a few more movies on the horizon maybe they will put in a thrill ride on the level of TOT in the next few years to coincide with one of them.

It's going to be great! I hope they have some stilt walkers playing Na'vi somewhere in the area, maybe a character spot or a street performer. I bet both rides will be relatively tame, but that's OK as long as they are well done. Who knows... with a few more movies on the horizon maybe they will put in a thrill ride on the level of TOT in the next few years to coincide with one of them.

I think I read some where that there will not be any CM's dressed as Navi

We saw it in IMAX and I can honestly say it did nothing for us. As much as I can still remember seeing Star Wars on opening day when I was 15 and the wonder and awe I felt I can remember zilch about Avatar. It did not move me at all.

I would have much preferred a Jurassic Park land instead of Pandora. We will go and enjoy it but it is not something that I am hugely excited about.

It's weird to me how I never seem to meet/talk to anyone that likes Avatar but it did $2.7 billion at the box office.

Over $2 billion (over 70%) of that amount was from overseas explains it.

I didn't care for the movie that much, to be honest. But, the new Pandora at AK looks pretty great. Lucky us, we leave from Disney the day before it opens. Hoping for a soft opening while we're there.

We tacked a couple of days onto an existing vacation in August so we can see Pandora at DH's request. He loved the movie. I'm on board because I haven't been able to get DH back to WDW in 27 years!

Some very fun pictures of the soon to be Pandora can be found here:

http://www.themeparx.com/avatar-land-disneys-animal-kingdom/?page=1

I think it really shows how the land can be enjoyable due to the level of unique immersive world building that the imagineers have come up with. Infact it seems down right interesting enough to be enjoyable by people who have never heard of avatar.
Thank you for the link . . . very interesting pics!
I also am ambivalent about the movie. However, having watched construction from afar & over the fence for the past number of years, am now really interested in checking out the new area. It will be visually stunning & immersive. But I have no interest whatsoever in tie-ins like souvenirs, eating at Avatar-themed restaurants, etc. Universal's HP always makes me want to buy souvenirs for my nieces at home, eat in their themed restaurants and then re-read the books or watch the movies when I go home. Avatar has zero tie-in or cross appeal for me whatsoever. When I talk to other Canadians about it, most can't remember what Avatar was & if they have any memory at all just recall the movie as a one off technical first in 3D. However, when I speak to Europeans about it today, years & years after the movie's release, they light up and want to discuss the plot in detail, the political messages, etc. I don't get that at all but clearly Avatar swept offshore movie theatres. Possibly, WDW had this in mind when selecting Avatar but I still don't understand how that could be decisive in their choice when so many North Americans are either lukewarm about the movie or have forgotten it completely. Avatar remains a real head shaker as an investment choice.

Over $2 billion (over 70%) of that amount was from overseas explains it.

I didn't care for the movie that much, to be honest. But, the new Pandora at AK looks pretty great. Lucky us, we leave from Disney the day before it opens. Hoping for a soft opening while we're there.

Domestically it's the second highest grossing movie of all time and was first until The Force Awakens...so I still think my statement holds water.

When I thought it was going to be something to do with the movie I was very much on the ugh train. When they clarified it will not follow the story of the movie and is about the fantasy planet of Pandora I thought oh cool it won't really matter if you like the movie or not it can just be pretty and cool. It is more what I wish they would have done with HP and Universal. Don't get me wrong I love HP so absolutely get giddy and even teary eyed when I go to Diagon Alley but if you aren't familiar with the books or movies it means nothing that this massive white dragon is on the bank. So I'm glad they took the "timeless" approach that will hopefully be a beautiful fantasy planet.

Disagree. I know people who know zero about Harry Potter and are blown away by Diagon Alley.

Disagree. I know people who know zero about Harry Potter and are blown away by Diagon Alley.

You can disagree but it doesn't change others' experiences. Diagon Alley is trapped in a split second moment of the entire story. Yeah it is cool but it isn't "timeless" like the other section. No matter how cool it is too me it has always felt off that everyone is going about their day like nothing is wrong but there is a dragon on the bank.

Last edited:
You can disagree but it doesn't change ofhers' experiences. Diagon Alley is trapped in a split second moment of the entire story. Yeah it is cool but it isn't "timeless" like the other section. No matter how cool it is too me it has always felt off that everyone is going about their day like nothing is wrong but there is a dragon on the bank.

That's your opinion. Others think it dramatically outdoes Hogsmeade (except for FJ).

The best part about the new Avatar Land is it opens 2 weeks after our next visit. AK is our favorite WDW park on light to medium crowd days and our absolute least favorite when it gets super busy, the peaceful nature vibe pretty much disappears. And this has been our experience pre-Avatar, can't imagine what it's going to be like there this summer.

I'm not understanding what Avatar has to do with Disney.
Pretty much the same thing the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the Starwars franchise do except that Avatar's owner wouldn't sell the entire property outright.

They are each storytelling vectors. A way to connect, differently, to different kinds of people.

The best part about the new Avatar Land is it opens 2 weeks after our next visit. AK is our favorite WDW park on light to medium crowd days and our absolute least favorite when it gets super busy, the peaceful nature vibe pretty much disappears. And this has been our experience pre-Avatar, can't imagine what it's going to be like there this summer.
Be careful though, as your visit may overlap with the soft-opening stages. With the rise of social media, there's no such thing as a quiet soft opening, so the park could indeed be swamped during your visit.

Pretty much the same thing the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the Starwars franchise do except that Avatar's owner wouldn't sell the entire property outright.
Not to mention Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion in the mid-to-late 60s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!