Am I the only one puzzled by Pandora?

Would I have preferred they find or better yet CREATE better IP for this? Sure! But I still think Pandora will be incredible.
It annoys me to no end that Disney seems unwilling to develop anything new that is not connected to an existing IP. With that approach in years past, think of how many great attractions wouldn't exist now.

I would not get too attached to a Phase II at this point, though... ;)
To paraphrase our friend Jim Hill:

"wellllllll. . . . . . "

I'm just sayin'. But I'm not sayin'. You didn't hear it from me.

I don't know that they HAVE TO know that. There are some people who rather liked Avatar and feel that it had a very strong story (probably many more than the Internet would suggest). By my estimate the narrative is much stronger than Frozen. It felt big and important and presented conflict and growth. Sure, it's a bit cliche, but if that's such a cardinal sin, almost every movie ever made has committed it to some extent.

The idea that Avatar got where it is solely because of the visuals doesn't hold water. If that were the case, plenty of other really great looking movies wouldn't have failed.
We just disagree completely, and that's ok!!

When I see that...
... tells me they knew they didn't have a strong story or compelling characters to build on here.

They went for the VISUALS and the THEME of protecting the environment.

That's what I'm basing my thoughts on.

And as I've said, I think there's a very good chance that the box office had a lot to do with the technology that was NEW at the time -- combined with the visuals.

It annoys me to no end that Disney seems unwilling to develop anything new that is not connected to an existing IP. With that approach in years past, think of how many great attractions wouldn't exist now.

This I agree with. There are still a few minor things they have done that are not IP related, but nothing huge. Some of these original theme park ideas can become huge IPs too, like Pirates has. I do also understand developing their new IPs for the parks too, but it'd be nice to have a balance.

We just disagree completely, and that's ok!!

Oh, it's totally ok and all that, but there is no way to know why they made the decisions that they did. It could just as well be that they felt the story had too much conflict for a land at AK and didn't want to include battle mechs and industrial aspects in the area. James Cameron was heavily involved in the design. Do you think he actually said "Well, the story of my film that I worked on for 10 years really wasn't that strong, so lets avoid all reference to it in the word completely based on that creation"? You can think what you want, but I'm not buying it.

You can think what you want, but I'm not buying it.
Thanks! Back at ya'! ;)

Cameron was heavily involved. Clearly Disney drives this bus. My guess is that Disney knew they did not have great story or characters here (they bet on box office, visuals, environmental theme), and I've listed my reasons clearly for guessing that. :thumbsup2

You're guessing something different. That's all any of us can do on this -- guess. Vive la différence!!

a healthy, mature discussion on the DIS, who knew? ;)
Without know anything about the movie (still have to watch it before I go) and just on what I have seen from the interviews they did a couple of weeks ago
spoiler alert in case you did not want to watch the interviews

Both Joe Rhode and James Cameron say that Pandora-World of Avatar is set after the original movie, where there's a different dynamic going on, they went as far as to say that there are minor spoilers in the new land that touch on the next couple of movies.

My mom and kids will experiBut ence this in the Fall with me. I am the only one who saw the movie back then. God it's been like 10 years maybe.. was I even a mom back then.??? That is how "old" Avatar is for me. I remember the big deal was the 3d and tech stuff. My DH and I went to an Imax place to see it.. the move was long I believe??? was an ok movie.. Did not pull any strings where I bought the DVD or had to see again.. I was surprised Disney bought into this.. I mean I get into a lot of other movie Franchises.. Star Wars AND HP for example pull my emotional strings. But Avatar??? Dud for me..

But I can see without any movie knowledge the beauty of the landscape being an experience for all. So I HOPE my mom and kids enjoy Pandora.. maybe even more at night... so I do not go into this with bad feeling..

What lacks is the excitment... There that is a good way of saying it.. I am not excited and thinking of this and cannot wait.. I can see though millions could not wait for HP or for Star Wars.. there is that more emotional connection.. Or maybe I miss something from Avatar.

ONe other thing... the blue avatar characters.. they are scary.. sorry but ugly. I cannot see if they implement these into the pandora world people getting excited about this... I mean Ewoks were cute but Avatars???

minor spoilers in the new land that touch on the next couple of movies.
To bring down the maturity level (!!), I'll share what my kids have said: "I'm on the edge of my seat for those new movies...

... NOT!"

(Been ages since I've evoked Wayne's World... even longer than it's been since Avatar came out...! :rolleyes1) :D

Last edited:
Exactamundo OP. Avatar was the meh-est of the meh.
But, like many have said, there are a ton of kids who love Tower of Terror that have no clue that there was once a show called the Twilight Zone.
If it's cool, it will be cool regardless of it's affiliation with Averagetar.

Funny thing about Avatar, the top grossing film, is that there are zero cultural references to it. Many times I've looked at my kids and said "I am altering the deal, pray I do not alter it further" or when there is work to be done "Spit spot, well begun is half done", Or when dropping them at school "Prepare for dust off!" (an Aliens reference but they did not figure that out for many years). I can't think of a single Avatar reference that anyone has ever made. It has no social impact.

"I see you"

Yeah I dont know anyone who references this quote and if I hadn't re-watched it recently I doubt I would even remember it.

It's not classic like "help me Obie won Kenobi" or "there's no place like home". Its also not like "youre killin me smalls" or"Bye Felicia" or something that you hear people say all the time and has become part of cinema culture. It really doesnt have that one line that repeated. Not all movies do though and that doesnt make them somehow less good. I cant think of a single quote from my favorite movie (The Notebook)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter