Am I bad parent? Not walking to take my kids again?

I would never go without my kids when they’re little but as teens I can see going without them. I have 2 young ones and 3 teens and Ive actually been lately talking to dh about only taking the younger ones next trip because the teens aren’t as interested in going anymore and last trip they actually spent 3 of our 9 park days in the villa because they didn’t “feel like” going into the parks. This really irritated both of us (dh because of $$ wasted on tickets and me because what kind of kids don’t wanna go to a Disney park??) Long story short, I think it’s ok to go without teens but i can’t fathom leaving little kids behind.

We’ve been fortunate, taking our kids three times during their childhood/teen years. They are now 19, 17, and 15. Originally in 2014, 2016 and 2021. They are old enough to have memories of at least the most recent trip and pictures to jump start older memories.

We want to go without our kids! Experience the parks the way we want, see the things we want to see, etc. Is that wrong? We feel guilty and think that we might feel guilty or sad when we are there and they are not.
Nope - go without and enjoy yourselves

A good friend of mine once told me “guilt is a useless emotion” and now I live by that

DW and I went without any of our kids for our 25th wedding anniversary in 2016. We had more fun on that trip than any of the ones we did with our kids. No agendas, backstage tours, high end dining... there's so much you can accomplish when you do Disney without the little ones.

Your kids have been several times. If you want to try going without them, do it! It makes for a less expensive trip and a different feel. We did a short trip w/o kids last year and it was so much fun. Easier getting around in general. We can eat at different restaurants that we like, but the kids wouldn't. You've taken the kids before and can always take them again. I say give it a try.

Eh, it doesn't make you a bad parent, but I personally wouldn't do it.

Why?

Your oldest is already a legal adult, and your middle child can see adulthood from where he's standing. Your youngest is probably learning to drive. Said differently: Your children are all on the brink of being young adults. In a few short years they'll all be out on their own, and you'll be empty nesters, and you'll have the freedom to take "couples trips" as often as you want ... so look forward to those coming years, but embrace your last years as full-time parents.

My children are adults now. I see them all the time and have a family vacation planned soon ... but it's harder now. They (and their spouses) have jobs, so that's more schedules to work around. They have obligations not only to our side of the family but also their spouses' families.

DW and I went without any of our kids for our 25th wedding anniversary in 2016. We had more fun on that trip than any of the ones we did with our kids. No agendas, backstage tours, high end dining... there's so much you can accomplish when you do Disney without the little ones.
I think it's easier just to travel with one other person no matter who that person is. I have one son that loves to travel and we've taken some European trips together. I've taken a few trips with just my other son or my husband.

When it's just two people it's so much easier. The four of us are taking a trip together in August{not WDW}. I'm the ringmaster. The more people I have to get in line the harder it is. My kids are 18 and 20.

Their kids aren't little ones. They could turn them loose on their own. I think it's difficult now to do that with Genie Plus and the new system. Everyone would need their own account... it's just more complicated than it should be.

Last edited:
We’ve been fortunate, taking our kids three times during their childhood/teen years. They are now 19, 17, and 15. Originally in 2014, 2016 and 2021. They are old enough to have memories of at least the most recent trip and pictures to jump start older memories.

We want to go without our kids! Experience the parks the way we want, see the things we want to see, etc. Is that wrong? We feel guilty and think that we might feel guilty or sad when we are there and they are not.

Taking time just the two of you to do something you enjoy is not only not being a bad parent, it's also necessary and vital for a healthy relationship! If you want to take the trip, then take the trip!

My wife and I did the same thing, we felt that the kids were old enough to stay home, and understand that we were not "ditching" them, or did not want them around. Did we feel a little bit guilty, yes at first, but it was the only time we had gone away on a vacation without the kids, so that helped. We also felt it was important for us to reconnect as a couple, since we were looking at the kids being off to college in the next 2 years and then it would be the just two of us at home. We wanted to remember what it was like to focus on each other. And surprisingly the kids both understood that.

We did have a great time, but we still checked in with the kids daily. They knew we still loved them and thought of them.
In the end it worked out for all of us. We got a reminder of "couple-hood" and the kids got a taste of being on their own.

Mine is a little older now, but has always been a big Disney fan, so I probably wouldn't have gone there without him, but I think it's OK to go somewhere as just a couple's trip. - Is there anyplace else you both want to see that you wouldn't feel guilty about?

Last edited:
I always take our kids on vacation with us.to Europe when the were just in early teens, my 50th that I planned in Vegas, San Francisco ; so when it comes to Disney it’s a no brainer. They also provide more laughs and memories that are priceless. The younger ones are 28 & 30 and are going with us again this summer. After my husband’s brain surgery in 2011, they have been a god send. Don’t think we ever took a vacation without them. We were in Epcot alone one day In 2021 when they went to Universal. And we kept thinking about what they would be saying about all that was going down in the park.

For us it'll always be a combination - we love to take them along. But when they got older, we'd go ourselves sometimes. Usually, it was 'hey, we get the house to ourselves for a few days' response! And with cell phones, so easy to keep in touch and make sure things are good. The first time we did, felt very guilty and kept the trip very short. We learned to enjoy it more over the years.

IMO….the answer to your question depends on how your kids feel about WDW.

Personally….there is no way that I would go to WDW without my DD19 right now. She would be so sad knowing we were there and she wasn’t. She loves it there and she loves being with us there. I would have enormous guilt keeping her home and I would have no fun.

If your kids are just ok with WDW and aren’t huge Disney people then don’t have guilt - go have fun. But if they are anything like my DD, then I’d find another place to go without them, because my DD made me guilty in March when my DH and I just had breakfast at The Poly without her - LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter