Alligator dragged 2 year old into 7 seas lagoon

Is it really "relocated" if it finds its way home?
The act of moving something implies relocation. Results may vary. I personally, and just to throw some fun in here, am a vegan(but not for religious purposes) and I would kill every gator and poisonous snake within miles of Disney. The reason is because as I stated, not all people know that gators are in the water, and they think they have the "Disney protection force" around them when they are on vacation.

It sounds like most experts believe that this was a rogue alligator. I don't see how they can avoid such creatures but I think it's important to remember that this is very rare. Not that this is a consolation for the family of course.

Any animal, especially reptiles, can be relocated. Whether or not they survive is entirely up to their survival skills.
Only in the sense that Syrian refugees can be "relocated" to the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea

We can "relocate" anything theoretically, as long as we don't care whether it lives or dies. After all, it's "entirely up to their survival skills."

People whose profession it is to deal with wildlife know that wild animals of most species don't survive "relocation," including reptiles. "Relocation" helps only those whose interest is theoretical -- it doesn't work for actual critters.

But there is also a question of priorities -- and I'm not being facetious here.

Do we care more about wildlife, or a mother and father whose son has been snatched from them and is still missing?

It's a value judgement, to be sure, but I'm with Sheriff Demings. I'm going to use everything at my disposal, including killing alligators, to find the little boy's body.

The act of moving something implies relocation. Results may vary. I personally, and just to throw some fun in here, am a vegan(but not for religious purposes) and I would kill every gator and poisonous snake within miles of Disney. The reason is because as I stated, not all people know that gators are in the water, and they think they have the "Disney protection force" around them when they are on vacation.

Gators and snakes play an important role in the ecosystem. Your "solution" would have devastating consequences.

Fortunately, Disney's wildlife management team has done a fairly good job of preserving what they can, while also protecting guests. I would not want to see the Florida wetlands destroyed just to make the resort "safer".

Not to downplay the seriousness of this tragedy, but one gator death since the park was built in 1971 is a pretty good safety record. Update the signs, educate guests, and it's unlikely we'll see another in the next 50 years. Or 100, for that matter.

Only in the sense that Syrian refugees can be "relocated" to the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea

We can "relocate" anything theoretically, as long as we don't care whether it lives or dies. After all, it's "entirely up to their survival skills."

People whose profession it is to deal with wildlife know that wild animals of most species don't survive "relocation," including reptiles. "Relocation" helps only those whose interest is theoretical -- it doesn't work for actual critters.

But there is also a question of priorities -- and I'm not being facetious here.

Do we care more about wildlife, or a mother and father whose son has been snatched from them and is still missing?

It's a value judgement, to be sure, but I'm with Sheriff Demings. I'm going to use everything at my disposal, including killing alligators, to find the little boy's body.

JimMia, Gators in FL and GA are found on golf courses in water hazards. They weren't born there. They migrated. They are also found in retention ponds, swimming pools, etc... They will survive where they have a habitat that supports them (water) and a food source. Also since there are over 1.4 million in Florida alone I am not too concerned if the Disney gators end up as watch bands. Call me cruel, but to be more truthful you can call me realistic.

Gators and snakes play an important role in the ecosystem. Your "solution" would have devastating consequences.

Fortunately, Disney's wildlife management team has done a fairly good job of preserving what they can, while also protecting guests. I would not want to see the Florida wetlands destroyed just to make the resort "safer".

Not to downplay the seriousness of this tragedy, but one gator death since the park was built in 1971 is a pretty good safety record. Update the signs, educate guests, and it's unlikely we'll see another in the next 50 years. Or 100, for that matter.

We don't need 1.4 million of them in a single state so much so that we cant have a human MAN MADE habitat without them.

I have a few thoughts on the blame that is being directed at either the parents or Disney, which many seem to be doing on twitter, Facebook, etc.

This is a horrible tragedy, but I believe no one is at fault here. Not Disney, not the parents, really no one. We can't go through life pointing fingers at someone for every horrible occurrence. It used to be (not too long ago, really) that we as humans live at our own risk. Meaning, we make our decisions and if one of those decisions ended up resulting in a tragic event, that's just the way it goes. Now it seems that nothing can happen without blame. Like people can't process an event unless they can point a finger at someone or an entity who directly or indirectly caused it. How about terrible stuff just happens?

We are not all supposed to live to be 100. Accidents happen, people die at all ages, and it is very tragic for sure. However, why must someone be to blame whenever there is an accident? Sometimes negligence on someone else's part is a factor, but not always.

The act of moving something implies relocation.
Good point. Can't argue that.
I personally, and just to throw some fun in here, am a vegan(but not for religious purposes)
WHEW!!! :scared:
and I would kill every gator and poisonous snake within miles of Disney. The reason is because as I stated, not all people know that gators are in the water, and they think they have the "Disney protection force" around them when they are on vacation.
I can totally relate to that, and if I work a little, can probably own it.

My family and I recently spent a magical 4 hours at Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary in the Florida Keys. We saw all the regular stuff.

But we also saw reef sharks (which frankly, I was not looking forward to seeing!), a 400 pound Goliath Grouper, a Spotted Eagle Ray bigger than my politically-incorrect SUV, and several pods of Bottlenose Dolphin.

We were not expecting to see any of those...so we killed them all.
(just kidding)

JimMia, Gators in FL and GA are found on golf courses in water hazards. They weren't born there.
Um...it's JimMIA...with the MIA standing for MIAMI. Florida. And I WAS born here.

So were the alligators, BTW -- they didn't fall from the sky during a full moon.
They migrated.
Really? From where?

There are only two places on Earth that have alligators -- the Southeast United States, and China.
They are also found in retention ponds, swimming pools, etc...
Not sure what a "retention pond" is unless you're talking about Everglades restoration...which would be smack-dab in the middle of the American Alligator habitat in Florida.

Just checked my pool, and it is gator-free!
Also since there are over 1.4 million in Florida alone I am not too concerned if the Disney gators end up as watch bands. Call me cruel, but to be more truthful you can call me realistic.
First of all, watch bands (or Magic Bands) would be illegal if produced from wild alligator hides.

But more important -- do you realize that this "realistic" statement is diametrically opposed to everything else you have said about "relocation"???

Here's an idea for WDW to consider: take some of those big bucks and begin combing the lakes, catching the gators, and relocating them to areas that are not near humans. Maybe even Gatorworld.

Really bear warnings are all over BC
They are here in the states too. However, they aren't posted at every access point to the wilderness. Last time I visited the smokies, I saw one but it's expected that you know you are possibly going to see a bear or some other animal. They did have it posted on some of their vacation pamphlets.

Just to share one of the sign posts warning of crocs in Port Douglass Australia.
As you can see this is from a childrens playground, but with the sign I know not to let me kids even ankle deep in that water.

All those little ponds you see by the road in and around Disney, those are retention ponds. They are designed to retain water from areas they don't want water standing.

We don't need 1.4 million of them in a single state so much so that we cant have a human MAN MADE habitat without them.

A very small portion of the land is "MAN MADE". Most of it is in, or near to, it's original state.

Why are the Wetlands important? http://www.mbgnet.net/fresh/wetlands/why.htm

Why are gators important? http://www.esa.org/esablog/ecology-...and-its-importance-to-the-florida-everglades/

Gators are a protected species, and not just because people think they're cool, or don't love their children enough to kill them all off.

I realize that no parent would think that a child wading in water would get snatched up by an alligator at Disney but we now know it can happen. I am sure that Disney will be making some changes in the near future. Let’s not blame the parents or Disney for this unfortunate accident. I am glad that they were able to finally locate the child’s body.

No matter how many signs (and the words on them) that Disney (or anyone) puts up, people tend to think they don’t apply to them. How many times have you seen people feeding the wildlife (ducks, birds, squirrels, etc.) at the parks and resorts even though there are signs telling guests not to feed the wildlife? It is not good for the wildlife and it causes the wildlife to become aggressive towards people who are sitting outside trying to eat. How many times have you witnessed children (and adults) putting their hands in the water when riding rides that are surrounded by water? Guests are warned against this, but again, they don’t think this warning is for them! Let’s take responsibility for our own actions.

A very small portion of the land is "MAN MADE". Most of it is in, or near to, it's original state.

Why are the Wetlands important? http://www.mbgnet.net/fresh/wetlands/why.htm

Why are gators important? http://www.esa.org/esablog/ecology-...and-its-importance-to-the-florida-everglades/

Gators are a protected species, and not just because people think they're cool, or don't love their children enough to kill them all off.
They are no longer protected from hunting as there is now a hunting season for them in Florida.
I never said they weren't important, but we don't need 1.4 million of the things roaming Florida. Please don't make a leap of faith with my comments. Take them for what I state as I am very succinct in my comments. Basically that means that I mean what I say with no, zero ambiguity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter