All Things Galveston (Updated - 5/21/14)

Thanks for the info! We're staying at Harbor House in Nov. I know the hotel is close to the port. Is it within walking distance? If you don't have a car to park, how do you get to the Hotel Galvez to get the shuttle?

If you don't have a car, then then shuttle from the Galvez stops at Harbor House on it's way to port. You can walk to the port from Harbor House, it just depends on how much luggage you have as to how difficult it would be.

Thanks for the info! We're staying at Harbor House in Nov. I know the hotel is close to the port. Is it within walking distance? If you don't have a car to park, how do you get to the Hotel Galvez to get the shuttle?
Yes! You are close enough to walk! Like ukintheus said...it really depends on how much luggage you have and how much you want to carry!

We also booked the 2 bedroom suite and our cruise is Nov 9th so I will let you know how it goes :) I called the front desk to ask about the shuttle service and they said the shuttle guy arrives early morning (7:45am ish) and can take us to port anytime we need to go!

kjackson83 - Thanks so much!!! Really looking forward to staying here... I think it will be a great start to our cruise vacation! That's great news about the shuttle! ;) Enjoy your cruise!!!

If you don't have a car, then then shuttle from the Galvez stops at Harbor House on it's way to port. You can walk to the port from Harbor House, it just depends on how much luggage you have as to how difficult it would be.

Thank you!

Have not found an answer to this by searching, need a little Galveston help here. We are driving from the Midwest and departing 12/14 - the night of the 13th we plan to arrive at Lafayette, LA and spend the night there, finishing our drive the morning of the 14th. (Looks like about 4 hours which is fine - we have no need to be "first on the ship" since we can't get into our stateroom and it's a 7-night cruise.)

ANYWAY, the real question is that we are planning to NOT drive anywhere near Houston and want to take I-10 to Winnie and go south on 124/87 and take the ferry. Is this going to be a problem? Anyone know if the ferry is extremely packed on Saturdays?

Have not found an answer to this by searching, need a little Galveston help here. We are driving from the Midwest and departing 12/14 - the night of the 13th we plan to arrive at Lafayette, LA and spend the night there, finishing our drive the morning of the 14th. (Looks like about 4 hours which is fine - we have no need to be "first on the ship" since we can't get into our stateroom and it's a 7-night cruise.)

ANYWAY, the real question is that we are planning to NOT drive anywhere near Houston and want to take I-10 to Winnie and go south on 124/87 and take the ferry. Is this going to be a problem? Anyone know if the ferry is extremely packed on Saturdays?

Probably not packed during that time of the year. Typical trip usually takes about 20 minutes. I would make sure that you left a little earlier in case there is traffic. Good luck

Probably not packed during that time of the year. Typical trip usually takes about 20 minutes. I would make sure that you left a little earlier in case there is traffic. Good luck

Thank you so much! We plan to have a cushion of several hours, of course, just to be safe. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't foolishly assuming that we would not have to wait a terribly long time to get on a ferry. Thanks again! :goodvibes

Help me decide!

My two best friends and I are on the 11/30 cruise. When we originally booked, we included DCL transfers to/from IAH ($90 round trip per person, $270 total).

I just looked at car rentals for the week, and I can rent a car for $199 (including all fees and taxes). Adding in $65 for parking at the port, its break-even with the DCL transfer cost (maybe a bit more figuring in tolls and gas, but not a huge deal for us).

Are we better off renting a car and driving ourselves?

Pros: 1) No waiting for a DCL bus to fill up before it leaves the airport, maybe saving us some time. 2) Allows us to stop at a liquor store on the way to buy alcohol to carry on board (since we don't want to deal with checking it on the airplane but can't carry it on). 3) Gives us freedom on our last day to go to Houston for a few hours (our return flight doesn't leave IAH until 8:12PM, but DCL would just take us right to the airport early in the AM after disembarking).

Cons: 1) Need to deal with rental check-in/check-out. 2) Our flight arrives in IAH on the day of cruise departure at 10:14AM...if we hit traffic or any other snags (obviously not related to airfare issues) we have a better chance of the ship being held for us if we are on a DCL transfer. 3) It just adds one more thing that could go wrong as we get ready to head on our amazing vacation.

I have no idea if DCL transfers are refundable at this point, so this question might not even matter. I'm just curious what y'all thought before calling DCL to figure that out.

I (briefly) played with the idea of using a private limo company, but again it'd be around the same price after adding in gratuities.

Thanks in advance!

Help me decide!

My two best friends and I are on the 11/30 cruise. When we originally booked, we included DCL transfers to/from IAH ($90 round trip per person, $270 total).

I just looked at car rentals for the week, and I can rent a car for $199 (including all fees and taxes). Adding in $65 for parking at the port, its break-even with the DCL transfer cost (maybe a bit more figuring in tolls and gas, but not a huge deal for us).

Pros: 1) No waiting for a DCL bus to fill up before it leaves the airport, maybe saving us some time. 2) Allows us to stop at a liquor store on the way to buy alcohol to carry on board (since we don't want to deal with checking it on the airplane but can't carry it on). 3) Gives us freedom on our last day to go to Houston for a few hours (our return flight doesn't leave IAH until 8:12PM, but DCL would just take us right to the airport early in the AM after disembarking).

Cons: 1) Need to deal with rental check-in/check-out. 2) Our flight arrives in IAH on the day of cruise departure at 10:14AM...if we hit traffic or any other snags (obviously not related to airfare issues) we have a better chance of the ship being held for us if we are on a DCL transfer. 3) It just adds one more thing that could go wrong as we get ready to head on our amazing vacation.

I have no idea if DCL transfers are refundable at this point, so this question might not even matter. I'm just curious what y'all thought before calling DCL to figure that out.

I (briefly) played with the idea of using a private limo company, but again it'd be around the same price after adding in gratuities.

Thanks in advance!

Hmm...I've been mulling this over and can't really decide what I would do if I were in your place. :confused3 I can give you some information, I don't know if it will help anything. :crazy2: All of the car rental companies are in one place, separate from the terminal buildings, and require a shuttle. The shuttle can take from 5 to 10 minutes to get from the terminal to the rental location. The same is true that when you drop the car off you have to drop at the rental building and take a shuttle back to the terminals.

OK, so if I had to make a decision this is what I think I would do. I am wondering if you can do DCL to get down to Galveston (there is a liquor store on the Strand that is walking distance from the cruise terminal) and then a private town car back to IAH, which means you could spend the day in Galveston? Dickens on the Strand is going to be going on in Galveston the Saturday that you get back. It starts at 10 am, so you could spend almost all day enjoying that and then get a town car back to the airport at about 5 pm.

HTH's. :thumbsup2 Let us know what you end up doing. :goodvibes

Help me decide!

Thanks in advance!

Personally, if you aren't planning anything else besides transportation to and from the port and a visit to a liquor store, then I would use Disney transportation instead of the hassle of a rental and dealing with traffic. Like PP said, there is a liquor store within walking distance of the port. Using Disney transportation assures that you will board the ship in Galveston even if there is a traffic delay, which is not unheard of on I-45 between Houston and Galveston. On the flip side of that, I can understand the desire to have your own transportation and not having to ride a bus (not one of my more favorite activities).

Does anyone know if BOI VALET went under? They are not answering phone and link broken to reserve online. Been trying for two weeks, thanks!

Does anyone know if BOI VALET went under? They are not answering phone and link broken to reserve online. Been trying for two weeks, thanks!

When we cruised in September we passed it and we noticed that there is a sign outside it that has a different name on it, so I believe the answer is, yes. I can't remember the name on the sign but it isn't showing up when you google cruise parking in Galveston and it was not open when we went past. :confused3

We live in Austin and will be driving over to Galveston the night before our cruise (Dec 13th). What is the best way to get around Houston and avoid the traffic getting to Galveston. Unfortunately my daughter has school until about 12 or so on the 13th so by the time we get on the road out of Austin that should put us right into the middle of rush hour in Houston.

We'll probably take 71 to 10 where should we get off to avoid traffic if possible? I read somewhere to take Grand Parkway south in Katy to Westpark Tollway to 45 and take that into Galveston. Is this the best way?

I have a toll tag on our van so we can use any toll road and I would rather not sit in traffic with kids :)

We live in Austin and will be driving over to Galveston the night before our cruise (Dec 13th). What is the best way to get around Houston and avoid the traffic getting to Galveston. Unfortunately my daughter has school until about 12 or so on the 13th so by the time we get on the road out of Austin that should put us right into the middle of rush hour in Houston.

We'll probably take 71 to 10 where should we get off to avoid traffic if possible? I read somewhere to take Grand Parkway south in Katy to Westpark Tollway to 45 and take that into Galveston. Is this the best way?

I have a toll tag on our van so we can use any toll road and I would rather not sit in traffic with kids :)

Unfortunately Houston traffic on a Friday afternoon is just not going to be good. If there was any way you could pick your daughter up around noon and be on the road then, coming down 290 would be the straightest best shot, and you probably wouldn't hit too much traffic to take 290 to the Beltway and then the Beltway all the way around to 45.

I'm not really sure that the Westpark Toll takes you to I-45? :confused3 I thought it hit 59, which means you would then have to head north on 59 to pick up 45, and it would be very close to downtown, so you would still have the traffic on 45 south for quite a while. If you take the Westpark, then I would take it to Beltway 8 (another toll) and take that south/east all the way around to I-45.

Maybe some others will have some input, but HTH's! :goodvibes

Unfortunately Houston traffic on a Friday afternoon is just not going to be good. If there was any way you could pick your daughter up around noon and be on the road then, coming down 290 would be the straightest best shot, and you probably wouldn't hit too much traffic to take 290 to the Beltway and then the Beltway all the way around to 45.

I'm not really sure that the Westpark Toll takes you to I-45? :confused3 I thought it hit 59, which means you would then have to head north on 59 to pick up 45, and it would be very close to downtown, so you would still have the traffic on 45 south for quite a while. If you take the Westpark, then I would take it to Beltway 8 (another toll) and take that south/east all the way around to I-45.

Maybe some others will have some input, but HTH's! :goodvibes

Sorry I misspoke. I meant taking the Westpark Toll to 8 and go counterclockwise to 45. Would there still be significant traffic on that route?

My daughter should get out of school around 12 or 1. Unfortunately I can't pull her out early because I believe she is part of a play that happens on that day. They do have a short day so she doesn't have to go until 4 (her normal time).

I live in SW Austin so I was going to take 71 to 10. 290 frustrates me with all the lights all the way to Houston.

Sorry I misspoke. I meant taking the Westpark Toll to 8 and go counterclockwise to 45. Would there still be significant traffic on that route? My daughter should get out of school around 12 or 1. Unfortunately I can't pull her out early because I believe she is part of a play that happens on that day. They do have a short day so she doesn't have to go until 4 (her normal time). I live in SW Austin so I was going to take 71 to 10. 290 frustrates me with all the lights all the way to Houston.

I understand about 290. I always forget about the lights!!

On any given day traffic can vary but the scenario above, Westpark to 8 and then to 45 will be about as good as any.

Don't forget to check houstontranstar.org for up to the minute road maps. That way if there is a major wreck you can try to avoid it :-)

I understand about 290. I always forget about the lights!!

On any given day traffic can vary but the scenario above, Westpark to 8 and then to 45 will be about as good as any.

Don't forget to check houstontranstar.org for up to the minute road maps. That way if there is a major wreck you can try to avoid it :-)

Thanks for the web link. We'll check on the way maybe an hour out from Houston. Hey if there is a wreck on our route would taking 6 off of Westpark all the way to 45 be the best alternative? I have read that route can be slower but if there is a major wreck on 45 or 8 I am thinking that is the only real alternative.

Thanks for the web link. We'll check on the way maybe an hour out from Houston. Hey if there is a wreck on our route would taking 6 off of Westpark all the way to 45 be the best alternative? I have read that route can be slower but if there is a major wreck on 45 or 8 I am thinking that is the only real alternative.

Hwy 6 lights are worse than 290, ten times worse! :eek: I avoid 6 at all costs because the lights back up during rush hour - even if you sat waiting for a wreck to clear on 45 it would probably still be faster than taking 6 all the way down. Your alternate might be 610 all the way around to La Porte and then down 156 if there is something major. Unless it's a hazmat spill though they will clear anything very quickly. :thumbsup2 Hopefully there won't be any issues and you can get on through with normal traffic. :drive:

Hwy 6 lights are worse than 290, ten times worse! :eek: I avoid 6 at all costs because the lights back up during rush hour - even if you sat waiting for a wreck to clear on 45 it would probably still be faster than taking 6 all the way down. Your alternate might be 610 all the way around to La Porte and then down 156 if there is something major. Unless it's a hazmat spill though they will clear anything very quickly. :thumbsup2 Hopefully there won't be any issues and you can get on through with normal traffic. :drive:

Thanks again! Sounds like grin and bear it to me. :) I'll keep an eye on the traffic and take 610 around the way you said if there is an accident on 45 or 8.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter