All about the Autotrain

Just passing Quantico --20 mins. We have been going really slow.

Well, no way this afternoon's departure will be on time. I can't imagine they could do a turn around quickly enough to even leave before 5. Hopefully, they can make up some time heading south since weekends have less commercial rail traffic.

We are finally heading home. We were close to last vehicle off the train. Incoming passengers had cars already checked in and in lines in the parking lot. The line in the driveway was backed up to the main road and even in the turn lane for the autotrain.

We are now sitting in traffic on 295N

According to Amtrak.com the AT left Lorton at 5:31, so only 1.5 hours late. They should be back on schedule for tomorrow's train from Sanford.

No lunch was served. We have been on delayed AT where they keep the breakfast car open later. This one closed at 815am. Also been on delayed AT in sleepers were they did have lunch type food.

We know to expect delays -- happens in any mode if transportation.... We believe it was the coach dining car that had AC issues. It was originally stated electrical work they were doing. Guess they could not get it going so they switched out the dining car, it could have been worse if something happened in the tracks that delayed us. Also we had 3 engines pulling us down southbound only 2 north bound. DH says we sat for a while on SC too. Not sure if it was Florence stop.

We are almost to the GWB. Hoping to be home in 2 hours.,

Planning travel with 3 adults, a toddler, and 3mo.

If I buy 5 seats we can pair each kid with an adult, giving us a seat to place the infant car seat for baby to sleep in. Anyone do this with bungees?

I also considered just getting 4 seats and infant carrier could go on for of toddlers seat. Not sure on logistics of footrest or actual space available.

Edit: Based on this photo ( http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=48815136&postcount=26) I think 4 seats may be enough? With footrest tilted up, as I have read people do with small children, infant seat will fit on the floor fine.
Looks like there will be room for DS4 to get in and out of the seat during daytime as well.

Thoughts?

slzer0, book 4 seats for lower level coach. You are on the same level as the bathrooms, plus there is a lot of extra room in the cabin, which only has 12 or so seats b/c of extra space for handicap maneuvering. Ask for seats near the back, if possible, when you check in. There is room to put a sleeping bag in back of those seats for your toddler and I think car seat could fit between the seats on the floor. If you do not have a handicap person in the cabin, ask for the front seats, ample room for sleeping bag and carseat on the floor. in front of you. I do not think the car seat will fit in front of a regular seat on the floor. But, again, you'll have lots of room in the lower level and many more options b/c of the space.

slzer0, book 4 seats for lower level coach. You are on the same level as the bathrooms, plus there is a lot of extra room in the cabin, which only has 12 or so seats b/c of extra space for handicap maneuvering. Ask for seats near the back, if possible, when you check in. There is room to put a sleeping bag in back of those seats for your toddler and I think car seat could fit between the seats on the floor. If you do not have a handicap person in the cabin, ask for the front seats, ample room for sleeping bag and carseat on the floor. in front of you. I do not think the car seat will fit in front of a regular seat on the floor. But, again, you'll have lots of room in the lower level and many more options b/c of the space.

Yep. I agree. You can rest a baby carrier on the floor. If that's allowed by Amtrak.

Thanks for the tip!
I hear lower level views aren't as great, but that's what the lounge car is for.

Thanks for the tip! I hear lower level views aren't as great, but that's what the lounge car is for.

I would not count on the lounge car now that there is only one lounge car for the entire train...gotta get there quickly to snag a seat.

I do agree that views are better on top and depending when you go, there is much to see, esp crossing rivers, going through small towns, passing the military base, etc. however if it gets dark early, then it really doesn't matter that much...

Yeah I'm planning it over Xmas so it'll be dark most of the way.
That said, I bet a crying 3mo and a rowdy 3yo will clear that lounge car in minutes. Lol

A week from today I will be on the train heading to Florida. I can't wait. We used to take the train every year for vacation and stopped and started to fly in 2000, so it has been a while.

Will let you all know how it goes.

I would not count on the lounge car now that there is only one lounge car for the entire train...gotta get there quickly to snag a seat.

I do agree that views are better on top and depending when you go, there is much to see, esp crossing rivers, going through small towns, passing the military base, etc. however if it gets dark early, then it really doesn't matter that much...

We just got back. We managed to have no problem snagging tables. The kids and DH went in right away, however, our section still had to be connected so some people already in there, and they got table )round one).
then, after our 7 pm dinner, they went back and went to the downstairs booth lounge and got a booth one. this was during movie time, so wasn't sure if they would, but they did.

Train was 2 3/4 hours late getting into Lorton this morning. We got here to board @12:30. They had us park in the driveway & walk in to check in. They were still off loading cars. At 2:30 they started processing the incoming cars. It is now 3:00 & we are in the station waiting. No problem. This is why we left home in eastern Pennsylvania @ 9:30am to get here on time. We are going on a DCL cruise leaving on Sunday & like to get in a day early in case there are problems like this. No worries. We are on our way to be with the Mouse.

I am on the same train! We arrived at 11:15, checked in, then headed out for lunch & a little shopping at a local mall. Just leaving Lorton now, and happily ensconced in coach on the lower level; it is surprisingly roomy and calm down here. Husband & I just cracked open some adult beverages, and the kids are enjoying their cool reclining seats and extendable tray tables. Am very excited for this trip!

Disneyholic, we got off that train today! It arrived 4 hours late to Sanford & we didn't board until 4 or so leaving out of there around 5.Then we got stopped behind a train and so on. I was lucky to get my car right before 2pm after getting off the train at 12! No back up plan for the auto train!!!

We are in a deluxe sleeper car. Glad we didn't get going too late. Passing Quantico now. We have 9:00 dinner. We brought 2 bottles of wine from home. A red & a white. Half each tonight, half tomorrow night. Hopefully this trip is uneventful, unlike yesterdays. We do have time figured into our schedule though for any delays. Wouldn't want to miss the ship.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest