Alice and the Hatter - A Free-For-all and a Gluten Free Taste of Wonderland!

I can relate to your eating history - I was vegetarian and then diagnosed with Celiac so I went back to eating meat or there would be nothing left to eat! :confused3

Anyway, I'm bummed because I was told by the woman at Karamel Kuche that the Werther's caramel is NOT gluten free. She went and got the ingredient book and looked it up.:confused:

I wonder if something changed (that was about six months ago)?

I can relate to your eating history - I was vegetarian and then diagnosed with Celiac so I went back to eating meat or there would be nothing left to eat! :confused3

Anyway, I'm bummed because I was told by the woman at Karamel Kuche that the Werther's caramel is NOT gluten free. She went and got the ingredient book and looked it up.:confused:

I wonder if something changed (that was about six months ago)?

Oh no!! I had no idea, and always simply assumed that caramel is gluten free...I mean, it's sugar and milk! How depressing...This day was apparently a bust for me, considering I had blue cheese for lunch!

Thanks so much for letting me know - I'll be checking into that!

I had originally been hesitant about booking a signature restaurant on the day of our arrival - mainly because we were eating a later lunch at Le Cellier and I was unsure if we would even be hungry. Would it be a waste of two credits? I kept wondering this to myself, especially after eating caramel popcorn!

But making the reservations for 7:40pm allowed us plenty of time to wander around Epcot, ride a few rides, and completely unpack and get all dolled up for dinner at the Boardwalk. Perhaps one of our favorite things about staying at the Epcot area resorts is the ability to dine at so many wonderful places without the need for bus transportation!

FlyingFish2-1.jpg

We walked the short distance to Flying Fish Cafe, pausing for a moment to watch a boardwalk magician perform tricks for the crowd. After putting our name in, we were soon led toward the back of the restaurant.

FlyingFishMural-1.jpg

FlyingFishMural2-1.jpg

Aren't the murals that line the walls of this restaurant delightful? The scenes depict by-gone circus days, while the clean lines of the rest of the restaurant make it elegant and not over-crowded.

Our server for the evening, a wonderfully friendly lady, arrived as if by magic and asked for our cocktail order. Jeremy ordered his customary Gin and Tonic, while I opted for a Cosmopolitan…VERY light on the cranberry.

GT-1.jpg

Cosmo-1.jpg

One thing I noted while waiting on our drinks was that surrounding us were quite a few families with smaller children, despite the fact that the meal came with a signature price tag. Everyone was so well-behaved!

When our beverages were placed in front of us, we ordered appetizers. Of course the waitress was aware that I would be dining gluten free, and had called the chef over to the table in advance. He walked me through my MANY options, and we placed our first order.

Luckily, I was able to have more than one appetizer on the menu, so Jeremy and I put our heads together and chose two for sharing. By this point I was actually getting hungry again!

LobsterSummerRoll-1.jpg

The Lobster Summer Roll was served in a thin rice wrapper, which was stuffed with vegetables and - of course - lobster. It came with the most delicious Sweet Chili dipping sauce!

TunaTartare-1.jpg

The Tuna Tartare was certainly as delicious as it looked. It was tempura-fried in a gluten free batter, and served with Wasabi Foam and a Sweet-and-Spicy sauce. Quite a treat, and good enough as a small entree if someone didn't want a large meal.

But for us, entrees would be soon to come. With small alterations, I was able to order almost anything on the menu, which was a wonderful change!

YellowfinTuna-1.jpg

The Hatter was simply mad about tuna this particular evening, decided to go with the Citrus, Sesame, and Szechuan Pepper-crusted Yellowfin Tuna, which came with bok choy, carrots, snap peas, and mushrooms in a delicious asian broth. He loved every little bit of it!

PotatoWrappedSnapper-1.jpg

I ordered the Signature Flying Fish Cafe Potato-wrapped Red Snapper. The chef altered the potato ever-so-slightly. It was absolutely delicious. Underneath was a cheesy Leek Fondue with a Veal Glaze, Red Wine and Cassis Butter Reduction. Heaven! I would say that this restaurant does one of the best jobs accommodating special diets - and that's quite an award to toss out at Disney World!

But the meal was yet to be over, and a final test had to be issued - Desserts. One thing is certain, however. If looks were the judge, Jeremy's certainly took home a prize!

CarmelizedBananaNapolean-1.jpg

The Carmelized Banana Napolean, came enveloped in phyllo, and was accompanied by banana mousse, creme caramel, and bitter chocolate. He ate it in its entirety, and most likely would have done the same with a serving twice as big - it was just that tasty for him.

TrioofSorbets-1.jpg

Once again, sorbet was offered to me - and once again, it was divine! The Season Sorbet came in a trio of Coconut, Strawberry and Cherry Coulis. It was just enough after all that other food.

Flying Fish proved to be icing on the cake of our first day in Disney. We will not hesitate to dine here again - probably multiple times! We were one very happy couple as we hopped, skipped, and jumped back to our resort.

MeandJeremy-2-1.jpg

I'm joining in! While reading your reviews, I began considering things with the letter D... Delicious, Divine, Delectable. Can't wait to read more! :thumbsup2

Glad you enjoyed Flying Fish so much :)
I love the look of both of the tuna dishes and your desserts look yummy
Great picture of you both :)

I'm joining in! While reading your reviews, I began considering things with the letter D... Delicious, Divine, Delectable. Can't wait to read more! :thumbsup2

That is one of my favorite parts of the Alice in Wonderland movie! Johnnie Depp as the mad hatter played that role to a "tea" :)

Glad you enjoyed Flying Fish so much :)
I love the look of both of the tuna dishes and your desserts look yummy
Great picture of you both :)

Thanks so much! Everything was just as good as it looked!

Great FF review! It is one of our favorites!

It's certainly one of ours now, as well!

Great reviews so far, and looking forward to the rest! Your dinner at Flying Fish looked absolutely amazing, and something I would def. consider for a future Disney visit. Love the picture of you both- a very handsome couple, indeed! :goodvibes

Yum yum, Karamell Kuche looks fantastic. DH rarely gets excited about anything I show him on the DIS but his eyes lit up at that picture of the caramel covered choc chip cookie.

That potato-wrapped snapper looks divine (and I am NOT a fish fan).

Great picture of the two of you, by the way :thumbsup2

Great reviews so far, and looking forward to the rest! Your dinner at Flying Fish looked absolutely amazing, and something I would def. consider for a future Disney visit. Love the picture of you both- a very handsome couple, indeed! :goodvibes

Thanks so much! Flying Fish was well worth it - much better than many of the "signature" restaurants I've been to!

By the way, I love all your photos in your signature. I'm assuming you're a model? They are great!

Yum yum, Karamell Kuche looks fantastic. DH rarely gets excited about anything I show him on the DIS but his eyes lit up at that picture of the caramel covered choc chip cookie.

That potato-wrapped snapper looks divine (and I am NOT a fish fan).

Great picture of the two of you, by the way :thumbsup2

Thanks! Guys are so funny that way! My husband zeroed in on that cookie as soon as we walked in and didn't even want to look at the other options! Me, I need to romance the selections first!

Brill start to your review. :thumbsup2 We are staying at Yacht Club with Deluxe Dinning for our wedding stay and will be eating at Flying Fish. Cant wait to read more. Subbing. popcorn::

When we awoke the next morning, the Hatter and I hurriedly readied ourselves for a day at Animal Kingdom. This is one park where we always have a plan. Our favorite thing to do is arrive early, head straight for the back and grab Safari FastPasses, ride it before a long line has had time to form, and then come back later in the day to use the FastPasses we worked so hard to secure! We're certainly organized in this way! :goodvibes

Before we had gone on our trip, and the days of restaurant planning were upon us, I had agreed (with some small amount of sullenness) that I could forgo a few "actual" breakfasts in order to do more Signature dinners. But I am the type of person that MUST have scheduled meals. And food in between those times as well. In this way, you could liken me to a Hobbit from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings:

"What about breakfast? We've had one, yes, but what about second breakfast? What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper?"

MerryandPippin.jpg

The thought of actually skipping a meal and waiting until lunchtime was quite simply unheard of!

It was with this in mind that we made our way towards Boardwalk Bakery and risked the crowds that are drawn like ravenous wolves each morning. Keep in mind that during our last trip, I had called ahead to ensure that they would have Vegan muffins for me, which had turned out to be one big disaster (raw dough...enough said). This time, I continued to have faith in the popular bakery, and thought I would surprise them with my Gluten Free request.

BoardwalkBakery-1.jpg

BakeryMenu-1.jpg

Jeremy - not one for a full breakfast, and certainly not a breakfast filled with sugar - surprised me when I heard him order the Cheese Danish. Sure, the sound of cheese doesn't necessarily SOUND sweet, but we all know different. He found this out for himself soon enough, and threw half the danish into the trash can as we awaited our AK bus. Sad waste!

Danish-1.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised to find that they had two types of Gluten Free muffins that morning - Blueberry and Banana Nut. With the memory of raw, gooey Blueberry dough from my last trip, I wisely chose Banana Nut, and we made our way toward Kilamanjaro. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the muffin, but you can rest assured that it was beautiful. Of course, everything behind the bakery's case was gorgeous, and made me feel much like Alice.

Idontcare.jpg

Alas, I stuck with the muffin and hoped that more substantial food would come my way in a few hours. It was with high hopes that this muffin would tide me over until lunchtime brought us to the doorstep of Asia's Yak and Yeti restaurant!

:rotfl: My roommate and I love to eat and often refer to each other as "Fat Hobbits."

That's too bad that Jeremy didn't enjoy his danish. I'd have to say that most of the bakery items are probably packed full of sugar - something I'm definitely not against, especially on vacation ;)

Looking forward to your review of Yak and Yeti!

:rotfl: My roommate and I love to eat and often refer to each other as "Fat Hobbits."

That's too bad that Jeremy didn't enjoy his danish. I'd have to say that most of the bakery items are probably packed full of sugar - something I'm definitely not against, especially on vacation ;)

Looking forward to your review of Yak and Yeti!

I always say I have a little fat boy living inside of me. Why a boy? I'm not quite sure, it just seems that it should be! A little fat hobbit boy, most likely!

I'm with you on the sugar - I try to pack as much in my mouth as possible while on vacation...like a squirrel packs in nuts! Makes for a great mental image :)

Brill start to your review. :thumbsup2 We are staying at Yacht Club with Deluxe Dinning for our wedding stay and will be eating at Flying Fish. Cant wait to read more. Subbing. popcorn::

Oh, are you getting married in Disney? That was my DREAM!! How exciting! I'm hoping to have a 10 year anniversary vow renewal there (if I can convince Jeremy, that is), complete with wedding dress and everything!

The Hatter here with my quick take on the Karamell! It simply made me amazingly dizzy as the door opens and you're struck right in the kisser with the beautiful warm small of absolute goodness. My Alice said it right, we would catch ourselves simply going in one door and out the other as we walked by just for the smell. The taste did its justice and I was so happy that Alice had several gluten free options and that I had all the options in the world! Go! Even if just for the smell....GO!

Yours truly,
A Mad Hatter Myself

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter