Alice and the Hatter - A Free-For-all and a Gluten Free Taste of Wonderland!

Oh, my ears and whiskers, how late I am! My apologies for the hiatus...we were on Spring Break! The Hatter and I did manage to get to Disney for a day though, and went to 1900 Park Fare for a big breakfast before heading over to Downtown Disney to catch a matinee of The Hunger Games!

Now, back to the reviews!

We had both been looking forward to this lunch long before our vacation actually arrived. Jeremy had never experienced Yak and Yeti before, and I had never gone Gluten Free. I was ready to put the chefs to the test!

A bit of Gluten info for you - Soy sauce is laden with it, and getting around this key ingredient can be akin to dining at a French restaurant and asking them to hold the butter. But Disney always rises to a challenge, don't they?

After a morning spent in Animal Kingdom running from one ride to the next – with breaks only for lion-spotting on a Kilimanjaro Safari – we hungrily approached our lunch spot.

yak-and-yeti1.jpg

Let me take a moment to mention how pretty this restaurant is! The decor is very authentic, as several of the hosts pointed out during our short wait. We were welcomed to have a look around either before or after our lunch, in order to check out the artifacts that had been collected in the making of this dining locale. They claimed that wherever possible, owners had used antique furniture and relics. It really is one of the best themed restaurants in Disney World, but doesn’t get appreciated in the rush to get in and out quickly.

decor.jpg

Our waiter was SO friendly, and he informed me that I would be able to order their most popular appetizer - the Lettuc Cups - which could be modified to be gluten-free. Jeremy and I decided to split this. (My apologies for the small photo! I couldn't seem to make this one larger)

LettuceCups.jpg

These were so delicious they could have been a meal on their own! The sauces were fantastic, and I would never have known it was made with gluten-free soy sauce. They tasted just like PF Changs or Pei Wei, of which the Hatter is a HUGE fan!

CrispyChicken-1.jpg

Obviously feeling nostalgic after those Lettuce Cups, Jeremy ordered the Crispy Honey Chicken. We typically do not eat at Asian restaurants (much to his dismay), and this was a treat he couldn’t pass up. With the exception of a few grains of rice, he cleaned his plate – stopping just short of making it sparkle.

CoconutCurry-1.jpg

I chose to go with something a bit different, based on the chef’s recommendation and my own need for something other than the standard. The Malasian Seafood Curry was comprised of Mahi, scallops, clams, mussels, shrimp, zucchini, and tomatoes, all in a coconut red curry broth. While it traditionally came served atop a bed of jasmine rice, I chose to forgo that large amount of carbs and simply opted for the soup. To put it simply, it was amazing. The curry was rich, but not overly “coconuty”. The seafood was fresh, the vegetables cooked just right – had I eaten the rice I would have had to be rolled out, because I ate the huge bowl in its entirety.

After all this, there was no question about dessert. Aside from the fact that both of us were in a happy food coma, we knew that purchases of Mickey bars would be in our not-too-distant future. I could easily have eaten at Yak and Yeti more than once on this particular trip alone – it’s a given that we’ll dine here during our next Asian encounter at Animal Kingdom.

We had Yak and Yeti in our original plan. Unfortunately it seems to have lost its slot due to early park closing, the call of Flying Fish and the loss of our second visit because of a Disney Photoshoot.

We had Yak and Yeti in our original plan. Unfortunately it seems to have lost its slot due to early park closing, the call of Flying Fish and the loss of our second visit because of a Disney Photoshoot.

Well I would certainly opt for Flying Fish any day! You'll have to let me know about the photo shoots - we were very interested in doing that during our last trip!

Yum! I love your reviews, photos and writing style. Flying Fish is a favorite of mine. I haven't been to Le Cellier in years and years, and I think that lunch on our next trip would be perfect. Thanks for taking the time to share your reviews - looking forward to more!

I'm really enjoying your reviews! I read your last set as well, when you were vegan, and those were really great too!

Also, I wanted to ask you a question. I'm a gluten free vegan and since you had experience doing Disney both vegan on one trip and gluten free on another, I wondered if you ever noticed any particular items or restaurants where I might have luck with both of those things? Or advice in general? Tricky, I know! Haha. Keep up the great reviews! :thumbsup2

Hi! Great reviews as always, and I can't wait to read the rest! I'm doing the deluxe dining plan this fall and plan to eat at a lot of the same restaurants you did.

I eat a mostly vegan diet at home, but I do eat some fish and dairy sometimes, especially when I eat out, just because it's easier. Do you mind me asking why you switched from vegan to gluten-free? I'm just curious.

Yum! I love your reviews, photos and writing style. Flying Fish is a favorite of mine. I haven't been to Le Cellier in years and years, and I think that lunch on our next trip would be perfect. Thanks for taking the time to share your reviews - looking forward to more!

I feel the same! I think we'll do lunch there again, but probably not dinner. I want to spend my two credits other places, since I can eat there for only one!

I'm really enjoying your reviews! I read your last set as well, when you were vegan, and those were really great too!

Also, I wanted to ask you a question. I'm a gluten free vegan and since you had experience doing Disney both vegan on one trip and gluten free on another, I wondered if you ever noticed any particular items or restaurants where I might have luck with both of those things? Or advice in general? Tricky, I know! Haha. Keep up the great reviews! :thumbsup2

Hi There! Well, it's obvious that going gluten free was easier than going while Vegan, but I had some of the best food I've ever eaten when I ordered as a Vegan!

With that said, doing both will be tricky, but I know that certain places will be easier than others. For example, anywhere there are Mickey Waffles for breakfast, you'll be able to feast on those! The batter they use is both vegan and gluten free. I know they have changed the breads they use in restaurants now, so you may not be able to get rolls (they have two versions - one is gluten free with eggs, and the other is vegan but has gluten). I have no idea why they did this!!

Raglan Road and Chefs De France both had really great veggie dishes that didn't contain any gluten, and I'm about positive that Mama Melrose would also be able to accommodate with their Vegan pizzas. The dough they use will probably be the same scenario as the Mickey Waffles.

Other than that, I would recommend going to the Grand Floridan Cafe, where Chef TJ is now working. Call ahead and make sure you go on a night he will be there. He is a whiz at Special Diets, and will be able to fix pretty much anything your heart desires!!

Hi! Great reviews as always, and I can't wait to read the rest! I'm doing the deluxe dining plan this fall and plan to eat at a lot of the same restaurants you did.

I eat a mostly vegan diet at home, but I do eat some fish and dairy sometimes, especially when I eat out, just because it's easier. Do you mind me asking why you switched from vegan to gluten-free? I'm just curious.

Hi! Nope, I don't mind you asking me at all! Historically, I've had stomach issues since I was about 15. It has only been in the last few years that I've put my foot down and tried to do something about it, though. I first noticed that eating dairy seemed to help, and gave that up, but then quickly gave up all meat and animal products as well, simply because it made me feel so much better!

That only lasted for a few months though, and then I started feeling sick again. It turned out there was just too much soy in my diet since I wasn't eating anything else for protein sources. I decided to add eggs and some meat back in, and then went to a doctor to get to the root of the issue. They found that it wasn't dairy at all, but gluten that was the culprit!

I really enjoyed being Vegan - it made me feel good about myself, and I noticed what a supportive community there is! But because I couldn't eat tons of soy, I found that this works better for me. Hope that answers your question!

Am loving your pictures and reviews! You too are so cute!

Thanks so much!!

I am really loving your review!! Thanks to reading it, I have solved my probelm about what entree to order at Yak & Yeti. The Malasian Seafood Curry looks so good!!

I have a question. I noticed that the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup is made with Moosehead beer. Does it have a strong taste of beer? The only reason I ask is that my bil made us some potato soup that had a very powerful beer taste to it, and I just can't stand beer. I would love to try that soup on our visit, but don't want to if it has a strong beer flavor to it.

I have a question. I noticed that the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup is made with Moosehead beer. Does it have a strong taste of beer? The only reason I ask is that my bil made us some potato soup that had a very powerful beer taste to it, and I just can't stand beer. I would love to try that soup on our visit, but don't want to if it has a strong beer flavor to it.

I just asked my husband, and he said that NO it didn't have a strong beer taste; it had a strong, sharp cheese taste. He said it was terrific :)

I just asked my husband, and he said that NO it didn't have a strong beer taste; it had a strong, sharp cheese taste. He said it was terrific :)

Thank you both very much. One of the things that I am looking forward to the most about out trip is trying out new restaurants.

Also, y'all are just too adorable!! You would make a great Alice and Mad Hatter for the parks.

Staying at an Epcot resort has many perks. We were able to come back from Animal Kingdom, get cleaned up for dinner, and then just walk to Mexico for an early meal before heading to Downtown Disney to see a movie at the AMC theater.

La-Hacienda-1.jpg

We went a bit early in order to make sure we had plenty of time before our show started. With that in mind, we really just wanted to get some appetizers, but our eyes told us differently as we glanced over the menu.

Lights2-1.jpg

Lights-1.jpg

La Hacienda de San Angel is one of Disney's newest restaurants. The decor itself is enough to tempt anyone to stray from their longtime favorites, with its bright tile, eclectic lighting, and a view that rivals anything in Epcot’s World Showcase. But the food – well, that’s another story altogether.

Mango-1.jpg

As per tradition, we began with a cocktail to kick off the evening in a festive manner. I went out on a limb and ordered the Mango Blueberry Basil Margarita, and was surprised at how great the combination of flavors turned out to be. The basil really enhanced the drink. Jeremy ordered a Dos Equis, because “When in Rome,” right?

One thing about Mexican food - it is usually naturally Gluten Free! All I had to do was get corn tortillas for some of the items and - voila - ready to be consumed.

Lahacienda3-1.jpg

We started with the Queso Fundido, which came out bubbling in a ceramic dish filled with peppers and chorizo. Of course chips and salsa accompanied it, as well. The Queso had a really amazing flavor – a little bit smoky and rich, with some spice to it. And while it wasn’t the prettiest dish I’ve ever had placed in front of me, it was great nontheless! One point to make though, don’t expect this to be your typical white cheese dip. It wasn’t very liquidy at all – in fact, we used a fork when placing it on our chips after it had cooled off slightly.

Lahacienda-1.jpg

We also ordered the Botana, which is a sampling of favorites that include a Chicken Tostada, Marinated Pork Sope, and a Cheese Empanada. I usually do not eat pork, but that Sope was so delicious! I couldn't get enough.

Our entrees presented themselves shortly after this. We decided to get one full entree and one appetizer, and split them both so that we could try a little more variety. I’m not sure which one would be the winner, since they were both so tasty!

ChickenFajitas-1.jpg

The Pollo al Pastor was a marinated chicken that was served with roasted veggies, beans and a pineapple relish. We ate this like fajitas, since all entrees were served with homemade corn tortillas and rice.

Lahacienda2-1.jpg

The Taquiza was a taco trio. Sounds straightforward, yes? Well it was much more involved than just mere tacos. It featured a Rib Eye Taco with chipotle salsa, a Roasted Chicken Taco with salsa verde, and a Marinated Pork taco.

After this we were stuffed. I’m not talking about your average Disney vacation post-meal feeling. We had eaten so much we couldn’t even look at the dessert menu, which for me is absolutely unheard of! Please know that you will be seeing dessert photos soon - don't lose hope!

We weren’t even capable of getting snacks at the movie theater, and I had high aspirations of a trip to Goofy’s Candy Co! I regretted the decision not to order dessert later in the week, because I knew I wouldn’t be able to review that course of the meal after the vacation had come to an end. But what I can tell you is that there wasn’t a huge selection…most likely because everyone leaves with overly full bellies!

As was the theme for our week in the World, we loved our dining experience at La Hacienda and will make plans to go there again!

We went to a Tequila Lunch at La Hacienda during last year's Food & Wine Fest and loved it so much! We went back and ordered off the regular menu and it was equally as good. So glad to hear good reviews!:goodvibes

Hi! Nope, I don't mind you asking me at all! Historically, I've had stomach issues since I was about 15. It has only been in the last few years that I've put my foot down and tried to do something about it, though. I first noticed that eating dairy seemed to help, and gave that up, but then quickly gave up all meat and animal products as well, simply because it made me feel so much better!

That only lasted for a few months though, and then I started feeling sick again. It turned out there was just too much soy in my diet since I wasn't eating anything else for protein sources. I decided to add eggs and some meat back in, and then went to a doctor to get to the root of the issue. They found that it wasn't dairy at all, but gluten that was the culprit!

I really enjoyed being Vegan - it made me feel good about myself, and I noticed what a supportive community there is! But because I couldn't eat tons of soy, I found that this works better for me. Hope that answers your question!
Thanks. :goodvibes

I did a 21 day dietary cleanse in January, and aside from it being completely vegan, I also abstained from gluten, sugar, alcohol, and caffiene. I never considered myself to have stomach issues, but I felt so much better without dairy and sugar. Gluten apparently doesn't bother me at all.

But great reviews as always!

With that bit of background information out of the way, I will get on to the good stuff - food!

Thanks. :goodvibes

I did a 21 day dietary cleanse in January, and aside from it being completely vegan, I also abstained from gluten, sugar, alcohol, and caffiene. I never considered myself to have stomach issues, but I felt so much better without dairy and sugar. Gluten apparently doesn't bother me at all.

But great reviews as always!

Wow that must have been a tough cleanse - hard to get used to. I'm guessing you mainly ate vegetables, unless you weren't counting the sugar in fruit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter