Alaska Excursions-non Disney

DisneyCDE

Mouseketeer
Hi. I just booked a last minute Alaska cruise. We leave in 2.5 weeks. Most Disney excursions are booked. For those that have done non Disney excursions: which ones did you do and what companies were they? How did you find out about them? Thx

We booked a Juneau whale watching/Mendenhall Glacier combo cruise independently. I think it ended up being with the same company used by the Disney Port Adventure. We decided to book independently so that we had more control over the order of the events, to allow us to have more time at the glacier than the Disney excursion we were looking at would have allowed. The added bonus was that it saved quite a bit of money. We used Juneau Tours & Whale Watch (https://www.juneauwhalewatch.com/) and booked directly with them. No complaints. I'd book with them again if returning to Juneau. As to how I found them...internet research...Google, TripAdvisor, looking at some of the companies third party websites for Alaska excursions.

Juneau: Rum Runners Whale Watching
Skagway: Chilcook Charters (bus up, train down, summer dogsled)
Ketchikan: Southeast Sea Kayaks

We loved every single one. There are loads of pics and a full rundown of each day in the trip report in my signature.

Skagway: Chilkoot Charters, Yukon rail/bus with dogcart ride (no dog cart included now)

Juneau: Juneautours glacier shuttle (runs to)from Mendenhall glacier every 30 minutes

Vancouver: Vancouvertours.com. Had a 10pm flight so we did a post cruise tour... picked up us/our luggage at port, dropped off at airport. Did Sea to Sky tour...not sure they do that one anymore though.

I had good experience with Alaska Shore Tours (Ketichan backcountry jeep/canoe) and Chilkoot Charters (Skagway rail tour).

Alaska Shore Tours was also used for our Juneau glacier helicopter/hike but was cancelled due to fog- they refunded immediately.

Will also note we had to reschedule excursions due to COVID before trip and both rescheduled without issue.

Last edited:
In Skagway we used Chilkoot Charters for the Yukon rail and bus tour. In Ketchikan we did a float plane tour of the misty fjord national monument through island wings air.

What everyone above said. Check Viator and TripAdvisor, too. Alaska Shore Excursions. Well-reviewed (especially lots of good reviews) vendors should be fine. Trip Reports. On Cruise Critic, they have forum Threads for each port.

We booked a Juneau whale watching/Mendenhall Glacier combo cruise independently. I think it ended up being with the same company used by the Disney Port Adventure. We decided to book independently so that we had more control over the order of the events, to allow us to have more time at the glacier than the Disney excursion we were looking at would have allowed. The added bonus was that it saved quite a bit of money. We used Juneau Tours & Whale Watch (https://www.juneauwhalewatch.com/) and booked directly with them. No complaints. I'd book with them again if returning to Juneau. As to how I found them...internet research...Google, TripAdvisor, looking at some of the companies third party websites for Alaska excursions.
Thank you

Wild wolf tours Ketchikan was amazing! Renting a car in Skagway would also be possible this close. Have fun!

Juneau - Rum Runners for fishing and whale watching
Skagway - Skagway Private Tours
Ketchikan - Island Wings for bear watching

All are highly recommended!

We booked whale watching in Juneau independently, as mentioned a handful of times above; we wanted it to be private for our full family group (of 11), plus it was less expensive than booking a cruise excursion for all. In Skagway, we booked ziplining independently. Same company that the cruiselines used, but our group of 5 was by ourselves from pier transfer to the return... while the cruise groups were much bigger. We could do extra runs, while the cruiseline groups took much longer to get everyone cycled through. Much better choice to book independently! We also went on a short hike to Yakutania Point, really easy to get to from the pier, if you find nothing you want to book.

For the things we booked independently, I basically sleuthed to figure out who the cruiselines and established tour companies were using.

If you are interested in doing the Bering Sea crab experience in Ketchikan, you can book directly with them.

Like others said, Chilkoot Charters & Tours in Skagway (we did drive up, drive down because in 2021 they didn't allow one way on the train)
We did whale watching with Harv and Marv's in Juneau. It was fabulous. There were just 5 of us on the boat so nobody in your way for pictures. We saw 8 whales and a bunch of seals/sea lions.
Ketchikan we did a DCL tour that wasn't great. We had more fun just walking around the town afterwards. You can just walk off the ship over to the Lumberjack show on your own if you want to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter