Aladdin not ready for Wish maiden voyage

I am on the 8/5 cruise and I just got it:
We look forward to your arrival onboard the Disney Wish and want to provide you with an update on the entertainment programming for your sailing.

While we had planned to offer Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular as part of our entertainment lineup, the show is still in rehearsals and will not be available during your sailing. In addition to Disney Seas the Adventure and The Little Mermaid in the Walt Disney Theatre, there will be a wide variety of other entertainment options throughout the ship during your cruise.

We appreciate your understanding and hope you enjoy the wide variety of entertainment that will be available throughout your cruise, from our productions in the beautiful Walt Disney Theatre, to our deck parties, interactive dining experiences, first-run movies and more.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line

Same here - received the Aladdin notification for the August 15th sailing. Crazy in my book - the maiden sailing received compensation for the delays. When I booked back in May 2021, I didn’t think a mid-august sailing would still be a guinea pig sailing… but they aren’t giving any sort of compensation or “make good” for not having one of the headliners ready.

It’s disappointing. Everyone in the family was looking forward to all the shows. We watched the live and cartoon Aladdin movies with the kids in advance - a first for my 3yo

We just received our emails for August as well. It seems kind of crazy that they already know a full month out that they still aren't going to be ready.

the show is still in rehearsals and will not be available during your sailing.
If only they had more warning that a new ship was coming on line and the show was needed. Apparently, a few years isn't enough these days.

No seriously, I'm sorry to hear about the cancelation for those on these sailings. I know how disappointing it can be when you consider the shows part of the reason you are paying much more to sail DCL. I am sure COVID has caused its challenges when preparing these shows, but the length of the delay is surprising, even under current conditions.

If only they had more warning that a new ship was coming on line and the show was needed. Apparently, a few years isn't enough these days.

No seriously, I'm sorry to hear about the cancelation for those on these sailings. I know how disappointing it can be when you consider the shows part of the reason you are paying much more to sail DCL. I am sure COVID has caused its challenges when preparing these shows, but the length of the delay is surprising, even under current conditions.

Agreed - it’s doubly frustrating because I booked mid August to AVOID being an early cruise. I understand delays, but when they are removing things that contribute to the elevated DCL costs, they need to have “make goods” for the guests impacted. This is our one and only Wish cruise - it’s not as though we’ll be on it another time to watch. And sure perhaps Disney would give a refund if I complain but I have sunk costs in flights, hotels, and transportation.

I mean...

You're complaining that the old show that is on the Fantasy and has been for years isn't ready yet so they decided to prioritize the two new shows instead of the show that you could have seen on the Fantasy for what? the last 9 years?

I personally think its great they even have the original two new shows running but to each their own

I am on the August 15-19 sailing and the 19-22. I received the email notification about no Aladdin show for my first sailing reservation, but not the second sailing. I will be prepared to receive another email soon but will keep my fingers crossed that I don’t.

Agreed - it’s doubly frustrating because I booked mid August to AVOID being an early cruise. I understand delays, but when they are removing things that contribute to the elevated DCL costs, they need to have “make goods” for the guests impacted. This is our one and only Wish cruise - it’s not as though we’ll be on it another time to watch. And sure perhaps Disney would give a refund if I complain but I have sunk costs in flights, hotels, and transportation.
You would cancel an entire cruise because one show is not happening? Disappointing yes, but a dealbreaker? That's why I won't sail on the Wish for at least 6 months, so all of the "bugs" are worked out. Plus, you can see it on the Fantasy if the Wish is a one and done. Don't let this spoil your cruise!

New ships always have bugs to shake out. TBH, I'm fairly surprised that the show is the only hiccup of note that they're fessin' up to at this point. I was on a ship that for it's maiden voyage half of the bathrooms didn't work. Granted, it was a guided missile cruiser, but hey, who's counting? :)

Of note, we're on the 3rd sailing (22JUL) and didn't get the 'no show' email, so I expect it for our sailing.
We're on the July 22 sailing too and I just got the email there will be no Aladdin on that voyage either.

Basic rule of cruising used to be not to cruise until a ship had been in service 6 months. You are just a few weeks after the first official paid sailing. Also used to be a unwritten rule not to cruise a month before or after a dry dock.

Basic rule of cruising used to be not to cruise until a ship had been in service 6 months. You are just a few weeks after the first official paid sailing. Also used to be a unwritten rule not to cruise a month before or after a dry dock.

Our intent when we booked in May of 2021 was to sail a few months in - not a few weeks. We aren’t avid cruisers and aren’t aware of these recommendations 🤷🏻‍♂️

Our intent when we booked in May of 2021 was to sail a few months in - not a few weeks. We aren’t avid cruisers and aren’t aware of these recommendations 🤷🏻‍♂️

There is only what 4.5 weeks difference between when it expected to sail vs when it is so definitely wasn’t ‘months later’ in any case.

Delays happen and is it better to know now and expect it than them stringing each cruise along until each is onboard and be surprise! You aren’t getting Aladdin either…

Putting on live stage shows especially new ones in the era of c-19 takes a lot more luck than usual.

Can you have a fabulous time on a new ship? As long as you go in with an open mind and be prepared to pivot realizing every crew member is doing their best in the circumstances they are given.

There is only what 4.5 weeks difference between when it expected to sail vs when it is so definitely wasn’t ‘months later’ in any case.

Delays happen and is it better to know now and expect it than them stringing each cruise along until each is onboard and be surprise! You aren’t getting Aladdin either…

Putting on live stage shows especially new ones in the era of c-19 takes a lot more luck than usual.

Can you have a fabulous time on a new ship? As long as you go in with an open mind and be prepared to pivot realizing every crew member is doing their best in the circumstances they are given.

Your post is coming off as telling me how I should feel.

I personally think 2 months after something is supposed to launch is a sensible amount of time for them to work out the “kinks”. I also think that charging full price + the wish surcharge and stuffing the ship full requires a high level of service. I’ll pack my patience to a point, but a $7k sailing is a $7k sailing. If they aren’t ready to provide a “full price experience” then they shouldn’t charge full price.

When this message came out for the MV, I thought: 'oh the lead actor has Covid, therefore there will be a delay in rehearsals. The actor has small parts in the other two shows which can be covered by other actors.' But that they already announce that the show won't be ready for the coming 5-6 weeks. That's weird. That just sounds like a mistake in planning, or that something went wrong.

My suspicion: The new shows are technically more complex and the crew or set builders etc. needed more time than allocated. They left Aladdin to last as they had done this show before and could copy. They probably wanted to have all the new stuff ready for the MV, therefore decided to drop Aladdin for now, as people could have seen it on the Fantasy and/or in Disneyland.

Interesting rule about 6 months I was on the Dream in February about 2 weeks after it sailed and not too many issues I remember. Same with Fantasy. I was on first Eastern on the ship. So I think like the third cruise.

This time I was scheduled for August, but with push it back to February 2023 for health reasons

This delay seems so long… I almost wonder if they need special equipment or permits to make the carpet fly and can’t get some part they need…? Pure speculation on my part but it seems too long a delay to be an issue with cast?

This delay seems so long… I almost wonder if they need special equipment or permits to make the carpet fly and can’t get some part they need…? Pure speculation on my part but it seems too long a delay to be an issue with cast?
I’ve seen this show three times in Disneyland and one of the three there was no flying carpet. I think they have a backup plan for in case it’s broken so I doubt it’s just one thing. It’s probably multiple things. Like the rides with the points system. They’ll keep operating them with a certain number of points (Aka broken stuff like with animatronics not working in SWGS) but they reach a certain number of small things or one major thing like the ride vehicles don’t move that alone gets them to that point total. Then down the ride goes. I bet it’s a similar system for a show.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter