AKV vs. CCV

aleh021

Mouseketeer
I have started my research with purchasing a new contract at either AKV or CCV.

I have laid out a couple of pros and cons for each that I can think of at this time.
However I would love to hear everyone's opinions.

Animal Kingdom Villas
Pros
- Low point chart
- Love the theme of the resort
- We have stayed here many times (Jambo & Kidani) and have always had a great time
- I love that this resort makes you feel secluded from the rest of the parks
Cons
- Bus transportation has been rough at times
- If your room is at the end of the loop at Kidani or Jambo the walk will feel never ending

Copper Creek Villas
Pros
- Point chart is better then the other MK resorts
- Inside the main lodge
- Love the theme of the Wilderness Lodge
Cons
- Point chart is not as low as AKV
- 1 bedroom is a max of 4 people

With both resort we would be looking at purchasing somewhere between 100-125 points
AKV would be via resale
CCV would be direct

I wasn't really considering Boulder Ridge mainly due to the shorter length on the contract.

I appreciate everyone's feedback!

I own at CCV (and I love both CCV and AKL) because I figured it would be easier to get AKL at 7 months than CCV if I wanted to stay at both.

The Kidani 2-BR are pretty amazing! I haven’t stayed at CCV’s yet, but I know they are much smaller (and have one less bathroom).

Are you planning on regularly staying in a 1-BR? I ask because it’s thought that there will be difficulties booking a studio at CCV, particularly during fall frenzy through December.

Where do you prefer to stay? I wouldn't be put off by the transportation as AKV is quicker to get to 3 out of the 4 parks than it is from MK area resorts. I enjoy both resorts and bought AKV prior to CCV being released due to the shorter contract at BRV. I'd probably still go with the resale AKV over direct CCV but it depends on when you are wanting to go and what rooms you would be booking. I like the point chart at AKV and the access to value rooms (don't buy assuming you will get them but having a shot at them is nice).

It sounds like you enjoy both, and since AKV is significantly cheaper in both price per point and points per night I would go with that. Also, the 1-2 bedroom units at AKV feel much larger to me. The living rooms at CCV are cramped.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily count out BRV. It's due for a full hard goods renovation in 3 years which could make it almost as nice as CCV and it's nearly 50% cheaper (and nearly 50% fewer years left, but could be a fair compromise if you don't want to spend as much up front and still be at WL).

I own at CCV (and I love both CCV and AKL) because I figured it would be easier to get AKL at 7 months than CCV if I wanted to stay at both.

The Kidani 2-BR are pretty amazing! I haven’t stayed at CCV’s yet, but I know they are much smaller (and have one less bathroom).

Are you planning on regularly staying in a 1-BR? I ask because it’s thought that there will be difficulties booking a studio at CCV, particularly during fall frenzy through December.

We mainly travel in May/June, September, and November/December.
Its generally 2 of us going but when we have more company we would like to get a 1 bedroom and we typically only go for 5 or 6 nights at a time as we don't use all our PTO from work.

Where do you prefer to stay? I wouldn't be put off by the transportation as AKV is quicker to get to 3 out of the 4 parks than it is from MK area resorts. I enjoy both resorts and bought AKV prior to CCV being released due to the shorter contract at BRV. I'd probably still go with the resale AKV over direct CCV but it depends on when you are wanting to go and what rooms you would be booking. I like the point chart at AKV and the access to value rooms (don't buy assuming you will get them but having a shot at them is nice).

We have stayed at AKV a couple of times and absolutely loved each stay. We only had one day where the buses were a mess! But I don't think the distance is that bad to the other parks.

We have never actually stayed at Wilderness Lodge (CCV or BRV) but we are checking in tomorrow in to a studio at BRV so this stay will definitely help us narrow down our thoughts.

It's nice to know we could have a shot at value rooms at AKV but we know well that there is no guarantee we would get them considering how few there are.

Having stayed at AK - Jambo and Kidani this past year we were pleasantly surprised with the bus service. It is probably about the same as anywhere - if you just miss a bus you are waiting. It does help to have the bus times on the app now so you can hopefully avoid the just missing a bus. If you are talking about long rides to a park - again this is a wash - from AK you have a longer bus ride to MK but at CCV you have a longer ride to AK park.

You are talking about a pretty significant price difference between AK resale and CCV direct - if you can get past that decision then the next should be the style and amenities of each resort - you have already identified the largest downfall of CCV which is that if you need to sleep 5 you have to get a 2BR, so if your traveling party will stay as a party of 4 or less then either resort works well.

One thing that we realized when staying at kidani was that there really isn't any place to roam, unless you are walking over to Jambo. We stayed at Poly and felt that being able to roam around the property was something we missed at Kidani. I would imagine CCV has more areas to walk around outdoors.

There are a number of good dining options at AK resort - not so sure what is at CCV.

Having stayed at AK - Jambo and Kidani this past year we were pleasantly surprised with the bus service. It is probably about the same as anywhere - if you just miss a bus you are waiting. It does help to have the bus times on the app now so you can hopefully avoid the just missing a bus. If you are talking about long rides to a park - again this is a wash - from AK you have a longer bus ride to MK but at CCV you have a longer ride to AK park.

You are talking about a pretty significant price difference between AK resale and CCV direct - if you can get past that decision then the next should be the style and amenities of each resort - you have already identified the largest downfall of CCV which is that if you need to sleep 5 you have to get a 2BR, so if your traveling party will stay as a party of 4 or less then either resort works well.

One thing that we realized when staying at kidani was that there really isn't any place to roam, unless you are walking over to Jambo. We stayed at Poly and felt that being able to roam around the property was something we missed at Kidani. I would imagine CCV has more areas to walk around outdoors.

There are a number of good dining options at AK resort - not so sure what is at CCV.

No you're absolutely right.

Looking closer at AKV resale I can essentially get a 160 point contract with AKV and pay possibly less then a 100 point contract at CCV.

There is just something about CCV that we really liked which had my wheels turning about it. We love the wilderness theme which is why its attracting us to it. Again we haven't stayed at Wilderness Lodge ever before and tomorrow will be our first time there.

With AKV we just love everything about it. I know some don't like it because buses are the only method of transportation and it feels "far". But honestly the monorail is falling apart as we speak and boat transportation is nice but it can be slow also. Each has its pros & cons of course.

With AKV we just love everything about it. I know some don't like it because buses are the only method of transportation and it feels "far". But honestly the monorail is falling apart as we speak and boat transportation is nice but it can be slow also. Each has its pros & cons of course.

I had this same thought process (though between CCV and Poly), each resort really does have its pros and cons! It's hard because we love so many resorts, and in an ideal world I'd have home resort advantage at 4 resorts haha, but had to settle on 2 (CCV and BWV).

We purchased AK because it was the 'deal' in '08 but also because I could see us in the future becoming less park oriented and more resort/Disney Springs vacationing. However, if I was younger I would select CC. We have a contract at BL that we are holding onto for the upcoming younger grands usage.

It seems like you could help your cons of AKV by having a car.

There is nothing you can do to change the cons of Copper Creek.

You can take the savings on buying AKV resale and put it towards a rental car and see how you like it.

We originally bought OKW because we rented points there and loved it. Then we stayed at AKV and loved it so we bought two more contracts there. We recently stayed in a cash room at WL and loved it, and now I'm feeling all :hippie: about it (we have stayed at Poly, Boardwalk, and Beach Club also so I promise I don't just fall in love with every resort). I think our next contract will be CC (probably not for a while).
I love AKV because the resort itself is a destination. Sanaa is awesome, the pool area at Kidani has something for everyone (bar for me, slide for the kids, when they were younger the splash pad was awesome, zero entry makes my life easier because I don't have to constantly remind my kids not to hang out on the stairs, bonfire and nightly movie are right there...), and watching the animals is a great way to pass some time. Plus community hall is an amazing way to entertain the kids while the parents sit back and relax (plus having the painted ceramics as a souvenir is so much better than the other things the kids usually want to spend their fun money on).
Wilderness Lodge was great for hopping over to the Magic Kingdom easily, and I really liked the food options. Seeing the fireworks and Electric Water Pageant from the resort is also a great perk. If I remember correctly, the DVC side pool was zero entry, so that is another perk. We didn't use the main pool, but I'm sure my kids would have loved it.
I wouldn't buy AKV for the value rooms. With so many people walking reservations, they are going to be a beast to get (not that I'm not planning on trying!).
Good luck on your decision. Both resorts are so great I don't think you'll be disappointed with either. And maybe one day you'll just end up with both!

We have stayed CCV 1BR and really loved it. It’s just two of us. Unfortunately something to consider for CCV if you want to book studios, especially since you mention going in December is that they are apparently tough to get even at 11 months due to them being a lesser percentage of the declared points for the resort. I cannot speak from personal experience as I do not own CCV. We do love the resort and amenities so I see the draw. Just consider that too. Good luck.

If you haven’t seen this thread:https://www.disboards.com/threads/availability-at-home-resort-none.3726432/unread

We have stayed CCV 1BR and really loved it. It’s just two of us. Unfortunately something to consider for CCV if you want to book studios, especially since you mention going in December is that they are apparently tough to get even at 11 months due to them being a lesser percentage of the declared points for the resort. I cannot speak from personal experience as I do not own CCV. We do love the resort and amenities so I see the draw. Just consider that too. Good luck.

If you haven’t seen this thread:https://www.disboards.com/threads/availability-at-home-resort-none.3726432/unread

FWIW, this morning was open for 12/1/19. ALL of the CCV studios were gone by 8:05ET.

The resort will have a max of 78 bookable studios when all are declared. (Right now, 3 dedicated studios and 5 lock-off 2BRs, which can be booked as 2BRs or as a 1BR and studio separately) are not yet declared. I doubt those 8 max studios will make opening morning of early December last more than 20 seconds longer for availability, and I suspect strongly that a bunch of people logged in and did NOT get their bookings. I've not looked at Facebook groups for the outrage yet. I'm sure it's there.

We mainly travel in May/June, September, and November/December.
Its generally 2 of us going but when we have more company we would like to get a 1 bedroom and we typically only go for 5 or 6 nights at a time as we don't use all our PTO from work.
If you plan to go those times, which are all very busy dvc times (except June) and plan on staying in studios, I would NOT buy at CCV. Guides have been pushing small contract buys at CCV despite the fact that a large amount of the overall points come from the much more point heavy cabins. Leaving a lot of people fighting over the studios.

I realize the cabin issue, but VGF studios are gone as well. They are both two of the smallest DVC resorts and both probably have highest demand for Xmas.

Studios and CCV and VGF are probably the most coveted rooms in all DVC during the Xmas season.

I realize the cabin issue, but VGF studios are gone as well. They are both two of the smallest DVC resorts and both probably have highest demand for Xmas.

Studios and CCV and VGF are probably the most coveted rooms in all DVC during the Xmas season.

I haven't looked, but I don't think you can get a poly studio for 12/1 right now. That's 300+ studios to balance the bungalows.

I’m not denying that the cabins eat points and studios at CCV will be in shorter supply because of it. All I’m saying is I would expect them to be in short supply on December 1 being they are in Wilderness lodge (Xmas demand) and one of the smaller DVC resorts even if there were no cabins like VGF.

BRV, which I believe may have even fewer studio rooms than CCV, books extremely fast for December stays also and they have no cabin points to contend with. WL, BRV, and CCV is simply a very popular destination during the holiday season.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter