AKV or Riviera- buying direct

We just bought resale at SSR with the intention of adding on points immediately direct for Riviera to complement our trips with some split stays there. However, we've been reconsidering buying direct at Riviera. We love the theming, room sizes, and access to skyliner/proximity to Epcot, but the future effects of the restrictions on availability aren't yet known. We initially didn't care about resale restrictions because our intent is to pass it along to our daughter, but didn't really consider the flipside of others reselling their contracts and what the battle for studios might look like even at 11 months 5 or so years down the road once/if it sells out and there's been a significant amount of Riviera resales. I wouldn't want to buy direct at $201pp and then never have availability for the room types we want only to end up using those points at resorts that I can use my restricted resale points at. Based on the conversation in this thread, sounds like it's already occurring for tower studios and standard studios, which I think is to be expected given how many are currently declared and the demand for room types. Only mentioning this because OP sounds like they are also buying and intending to keep/pass along to children, would like to hear if others have similar thoughts or if this too farfetched of an idea!

We just bought resale at SSR with the intention of adding on points immediately direct for Riviera to complement our trips with some split stays there. However, we've been reconsidering buying direct at Riviera. We love the theming, room sizes, and access to skyliner/proximity to Epcot, but the future effects of the restrictions on availability aren't yet known. We initially didn't care about resale restrictions because our intent is to pass it along to our daughter, but didn't really consider the flipside of others reselling their contracts and what the battle for studios might look like even at 11 months 5 or so years down the road once/if it sells out and there's been a significant amount of Riviera resales. I wouldn't want to buy direct at $201pp and then never have availability for the room types we want only to end up using those points at resorts that I can use my restricted resale points at. Based on the conversation in this thread, sounds like it's already occurring for tower studios and standard studios, which I think is to be expected given how many are currently declared and the demand for room types. Only mentioning this because OP sounds like they are also buying and intending to keep/pass along to children, would like to hear if others have similar thoughts or if this too farfetched of an idea!

Most of the data out there suggestsmost DVC resorts have 10 to 20% max jn resale points.

I do not think one has to worry about it as an owner any different than any other resort.

The difference will come at 7 months when fewer owners stay….so trading in will be harder.

SV studios are popular now so owning will be the only way to have the best chance.

Most of the data out there suggestsmost DVC resorts have 10 to 20% max jn resale points.

I do not think one has to worry about it as an owner any different than any other resort.

The difference will come at 7 months when fewer owners stay….so trading in will be harder.

SV studios are popular now so owning will be the only way to have the best chance.
Only thing I’d add is you may not have to have high percent restricted to efficiently create booking competition. Even the perception of potential limitation may lead to limitation (see recent toilet paper shortages).

If it were me with what I know now about DVC, I would purchase 150 direct at Riviera.You really can't go wrong with owning at Riviera IMO. Beautiful new resort, excellent location for H.S. and Epcot. I would buy there with no regrets at all.

+1

IMHO, I'd not consider buying to pass on to kids. Circumstances can change (for you) and kids also might not be interested-whether for financial or other reasons. I have 4 adult kids. 2 would love it, but 1 really cannot afford the annual dues, plus tickets, etc. The other 2 wouldn't want to commit to annual WDW vacations.

If you have a DVC friend, ask them to sign you up for the Dream It Forwarded program. Our friends did that and we got some money off on top of the Riviera bonus of $11 off per point when buying 200 points direct. I think the incentive changes, but ours was the $500 extra off. I don’t know what they got on their side. But I have heard from others that it changes.

If you don’t have a friend, let me know and I can sign you up.

This is likely the correct take. Almost every resort has some categories that get taken very very quickly, with or without re-sale restrictions. You can't get any type of studio at CCV without booking 10+ months out. Same with value rooms and club level rooms at AKV.

The number of re-sale owners is always a minority. On this board, re-sale owners may be the majority. But this board is not representative of DVC as a whole.

But let's look at the effect of the re-sale restrictions on Riviera room availability:

Because of the restrictions, re-sale owners at 14 other resorts cannot trade IN to Riviera. As a result, you'll have fewer people trading in at 7 months.
Meanwhile, re-sale owners at Riviera cannot trade out. They can book at 11 months, or any time after 11 months. So compared to another resort, you'll have fewer people trading OUT. But it doesn't mean they will necessarily book at 11 months. Nothing stops someone from booking their own home resort at 6 months.

Basically... the effect of fewer people trading in, combined with fewer people having the ability to trade out -- Should balance out. As long as re-sale owners remain a small minority (under 25%), you likely won't notice any effect. If you ever get to a point where re-sale owners are a huge portion of owners (50%+), then you might see a bit of an effect, where there isn't a sudden surge of bookings and changes at the 7 month mark. In other words, at 7 months -- You'll have fewer people modifying their reservation to get away from Riviera, and fewer new reservations coming in to Riviera. At things currently stand, at every resort, there is a huge surge in bookings at the 6-7 month mark. If there are a huge portion of re-sale owners, then you won't have this sudden surge. Instead, you'll see the reservation rate more consistent and gradual.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter