AKV or Riviera- buying direct

I’ve got a week in Club level next year for less points than a preferred room at RIV. It’s a godsend given the cost of food and drink at WDW.
You will really struggle to get Club or value rooms without owning AKV and even then could need walking.
You can still go to Topolinos terrace for views.

to @RoseGold point, if you buy 150 points at RIV and just stay there then you will get about 8 nights in a studio, or 6 in preferred studio.
AKV will be 15 nights in value, 10 in std, 8 in savannah, 7 in Club

However, If you’re leaning towards RIV then go for it.

My issue is with your concept of "bang." You can just as easily say, "you get a lot more bang for your buck at Pop century!" -- If you're simply looking at how many nights you can stay for a certain price.

I'd argue that you get a lot more "bang for the points" at Riviera -- since the points at Riviera get you a bigger room with skyliner access to 2 parks.

And technically.. as you said, savanna rooms are easier to get. So you would maximize your nights at the lower price, if you purchased Riviera points and used them at AKV.

"Bang for points" isn't "the number of nights you can get."

It might be accurate to say, "150 points will buy you more nights at AKV than at Riviera" -- That would be entirely true.
And "150 points at OKW will get you more nights than 150 points at Grand Floridian" -- Though I wouldn't say you're getting more bang for your points at OKW. Just more nights.
I don't think its unreasonable to say that many people view "bang" as having the largest accommodations for the most amount of nights. There are plenty of posts on these boards that value their DVC purchase in such a way, although OP certainly may not. The whole purpose of the thread is distinguishing a home resort to purchase, admittedly between two very different resorts, and OP is aware of being able to book the DVC collection, and inquired about as much in the first post.

If the question as posted is to help distinguish the differences between owning at the two resorts, than I think its helpful to point out that 150 points at AKV from a pure "having a place to sleep" standpoint might go a little further than it does at RIV, with the exception of frequently booking tower studios which aligns with some of AKVs value accommodations. With the 11 month booking window, simply put there will always be some sort of accommodation at AKV that is pretty comfortable going to fall within the budget of a 150 point owner. OP has already noted they like both resorts, so its not really an issue of why RIV might command a "higher price" than AKV, its just a statement of fact. the same way its a statement of fact to say that any consideration of cost should consider AKV expires 13 years earlier.

If the question as posted is to help distinguish the differences between owning at the two resorts, than I think its helpful to point out that 150 points at AKV from a pure "having a place to sleep" standpoint might go a little further than it does at RIV, with the exception of frequently booking tower studios which aligns with some of AKVs value accommodations.

Well, the OP said those were the resorts they were considering. They aren't two I would compare (nor is Pop!) but they are the question at hand. The points difference is stark in these properties. It's not a little difference. I thought that was worth pointing out as a factor for OP to consider, especially if they value the difficult AKL bookings.

Well, the OP said those were the resorts they were considering. They aren't two I would compare (nor is Pop!) but they are the question at hand. The points difference is stark in these properties. It's not a little difference. I thought that was worth pointing out as a factor for OP to consider, especially if they value the difficult AKL bookings.

My issue isn't pointing out the different point charts.
One can certainly say, "1 bedrooms are fewer points at AKL than at Riviera."
But I think it's misleading to say things like, "cheaper" or "more bang for your buck."
If you're measuring bang for your buck by access to the parks, or by room size, Riviera is far more bang for your buck than AKL.
If you're talking about lower point cost rooms, views of animals, etc.. AKV is far more bang for your buck.
In terms of cheaper, with incentives... points at Riviera are currently cheaper. The point chart is irrelevant to that computation. (though you could relevantly point out the difference in dues, though it's only $0.30 difference per point, or a difference of only $45 per year on a 150 point contract... and it's quite possible that AKV dues may surpass Riviera dues in the near future).

AKV will always be easier to book at 7 months outside of Club and Value rooms which are not easy to book from watching other threads.

AKV is a nice resort but I am at WDW to for WDW and with that being said I would choose RIV every time over AKV. I just did not have a good experience with transportation there (pre-covid) but I know others have a different opinion.

I also think when it comes to resort only stays while AKV is really nice its not connected to anything. With Riviera you are connected via walking or skyliner to Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Swan/Dolphin, Caribbean Beach, AOA, POP which means you have lots of exploring you can do, lots of restaurants to choose from. (oh and evening entertainment is back at the Boardwalk supposedly or coming soon)

For me the biggest benefit of the Epcot area resorts is quick evening access to a huge variety of restaurants both at the resorts but also the quick access to the World Showcase.

Last edited:
But I think it's misleading to say things like, "cheaper" or "more bang for your buck."
If you're measuring bang for your buck by access to the parks, or by room size, Riviera is far more bang for your buck than AKL.
If you're talking about lower point cost rooms, views of animals, etc.. AKV is far more bang for your buck.
In terms of cheaper, with incentives... points at Riviera are currently cheaper. The point chart is irrelevant to that computation. (though you could relevantly point out the difference in dues, though it's only $0.30 difference per point, or a difference of only $45 per year on a 150 point contract... and it's quite possible that AKV dues may surpass Riviera dues in the near future).

I think these are such important points. There is no question staying at RIV will cost more points than AKV for the same number of nights. But, they are not the same resort and carry different aspects that mean more to some than others.

I agree, owing RIV and using the points at AKV is a lot easier than the other way around. Sure, CL and Value will be difficult for non owners, but same is true for SV and even studios at RIV. Since everyone has their own priorities, it can make a difference when it comes down to choice.

It is why the advice is always buy at a place you are okay staying at if you can't change out later on. If AKV is the place you want to be most of the time, then go for it. If its RIV, go for that. If it is a toss up, then you have to look beyond that for your own self. When I bought initially, I spent more to get BLT over SSR because in the end, over the course of ownership, it was much better to spend a little more to know I am happy with my choice!

Last edited:

I know an example but really what makes AKV "cheaper" is simply the point charts (which you can use RIV points at booking at 7 months much of the year anyways).

As far as MFs we are probably 40-50 days out form finding out that AKV is now even or more expensive than RIV for MFs.

Also something to account for is that RIV has a longer contract so it will hold its value a tad longer in the resale market though with the curveball of the resale restrictions. RIVs resale so far is outperforming AKV but I could see them being "even" for the point price moving forward.

I know an example but really what makes AKV "cheaper" is simply the point charts (which you can use RIV points at booking at 7 months much of the year anyways).

This should be entertaining...

Can you pick your use year when buying direct? Our guide said that they currently had June use year.
You can always ask. Under the changes in the Associations years ago, Disney can assign a use year to points in their control.

In DVC timing is everything, I’d request a use year that mirrors your anticipated vacation pattern. If you plan to go in April or May a lot, June would be disastrous. It would be great for summer stays. Make it part of the conversation with your guide. If your family has a time that works best, I’d stick to your guns on this point. Also, if you get 2020 points, it adds value to a direct purchase, a year of points without annual fees.

I had to check room size for 1BR because I didn’t rememeber akv being small and actually thought one of best 1BR on property. Just checked and looks like Kidsni is 807 vs riviera which is 813 so too me there’s realy not much difference. Given points for 1br riviera are somewhere around 40% higher I’d argue akv is better “value” but agree lot of the comparison of value is subjective.

I had to check room size for 1BR because I didn’t rememeber akv being small and actually thought one of best 1BR on property. Just checked and looks like Kidsni is 807 vs riviera which is 813 so too me there’s realy not much difference. Given points for 1br riviera are somewhere around 40% higher I’d argue akv is better “value” but agree lot of the comparison of value is subjective.

Yes, not a big difference in 1 bedroom. But the OP indicated primarily staying in studios: 423sq compared to 366sf..
It's a pretty big difference, almost 20%.

Is RIV always bookable at 7 months? With only like half the rooms declared now and the effects of resale restrictions in the future, I always assumed RIV would be impossible to book at least for studios. But I'm fairly new to DVC so never really paid attention to it until now.

Is RIV always bookable at 7 months? With only like half the rooms declared now and the effects of resale restrictions in the future, I always assumed RIV would be impossible to book at least for studios. But I'm fairly new to DVC so never really paid attention to it until now.
Not at all.

Yes, it is possible to book it at 7 months, depending on the time of year. I just booked a few nights for a friend in a studio the first week in April yesterday using my SSR points. It was PV, and only for 3 nights, but we could have gotten 6 had she needed 6. We are also well within the 7 month window already.

Now, SV studios, and tower studios are showing difficulty year round at 7 months, but I have gotten 1 bedrooms there using my SSR points several times in the past 2 years (obviously, the 2020 trips didn't all happen).

I now own both resale and direct points now at RIV. IMO, the impact of resale owners on the booking trends there will not play a role for a long long time, especially for owners. Now, for those that don't own there, and want to stay often, it will not be easy at 7 months, especially during mid September to mid January as those are busy DVC times for all the resorts.

Very hard to book standard view rooms at 7 months. Preferred studios and tower studios also go pretty quickly.

I would buy AKV resale first then purchase direct RIV in two 75 contracts or one 75 RIV and one 75 AKV. 150 RIV will be a tough sell sell if you ever need to sell

Last edited:
Hi! I have been lurking this board forever and have finally decided to buy DVC. We will be buying 150 points direct from Disney. I know these are two very different resorts but I am having a hard time deciding between the two. A little background: we are a family of four, us parents are in our early 40s, kiddos are in middle school and we have a toddler. We have been to Disney many, many times and have decided to take the plunge! We are about a 9 hour drive from Disney but typically fly as long as airfare is decent. Below are my thoughts but please add things I may be forgetting or not thinking about! Yes, I know I can buy resale for less money but have my heart set on initially buying direct and later down the road adding on from resale.

AKV- we love the resort but not necessarily in love with the rooms. We are not park open to close people and even do some resort only stays. Love the restaurants. Of course, bus transportation everywhere unless we happen to drive. Very kid friendly. Love the kids water play area and the pools.

Riviera- honestly had not even considered this resort at first. However, once you factor in the length of the contract then it is less per point over the length of the contract than AKV. At the same time, it's not like I am going to still be around in 2070 and who is to say my kids will continue their love for Disney! We have not stayed here but have visited Riviera and eaten at the restaurants. Skyliner access is a plus and our most recent trips we have spent more time at HS than in the past. We like the subtle theming and clean appearance of this resort. Yes, with us only having 150 points, we will be limited to studios. However, thinking the tower studios will be perfect for adult only trips for me and the husband for booking at 11 months. Standard studio booking at 11 months for when the kids come. If we happen to want a 2 bedroom (banking/borrowing) how hard will it be to get at Saratoga or Old Key West at 7 months?

I do know there are the resale limitations with Riviera but we are not buying to sale. You all are very experienced so I look forward to your advice!
If it were me with what I know now about DVC, I would purchase 150 direct at Riviera. This way you have full access to everything. You really can't go wrong with owning at Riviera IMO. Beautiful new resort, excellent location for H.S. and Epcot. I think it will get more and more difficult to book unless you own there, especially Standard View to save some points. You should be able to use your points at AKV pretty regularly and other resorts as long as your Riviera points are direct. I don't own there but we have stayed there once in a studio for 3 nights and once in a 1br for 8 nights. 3rd favorite resort so far. I'm biased because we own at VGF and CCV. I ended up adding on a new contract at CCV because I was a little concerned about the resale restrictions, but now that I have been there a few times and realize how awesome it is and the access to Epcot and H.S. I would buy there with no regrets at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter