AKL or WL for romantic husband/wife trip?

I've stayed at both, but we now prefer AKL. The Savannah view rooms are great, and we love sitting on our balcony at night watching the animals. For our anniversary I had a cake specially made and del to the room, and had a bottle of wine to enjoy on our balcony. I feel that AKL has been less crowded as well, so great for a stroll.

AKL - we stayed there for our anniversary in May. My husband refuses to stay anywhere else on Disney property now. I may be able to get him to stay at Poly but I doubt it.

We stayed at AKL when we got engaged and I thought it was very relaxing and romantic. I loved sitting on our balcony watching the animals, we loved the pool area, the lobby is beautiful, we ate at Jiko and thought it was very yummy, and we went out on the rock area to see the animals and almost everytime we went out there we were almost the only ones (it was last August). We are actually going back there in December for our wedding/honeymoon trip and are doing a split stay with the GF first then AKL.

We have not stayed at AKL, but we stayed at WL last month (with our kids). DH and I agreed that we would LOVE to come back for a mommy/daddy trip, and would LOVE to snag one of their honeymoon suites! :love:

The WL is a beautiful, relaxing resort that I think would be very romantic for a couples only trip. :goodvibes

We have stayed at both and WL gets our vote any day over AKL. The animal theme just didn't do much for us but WL is on the beautiful lake and has a relaxed "woodsy-feel" + the boat to MK and it is getting a refurb. now.

We had a woods-view room and really thought it looked more private than the courtyard-view (they all seemed to look over the pool).

Wilderness Lodge!!!! Location, transportation options, and nice quiet little spots hither and yon. ;)

I've stayed at both and I love the cozy atmosphere at Wilderness Lodge!!

We have stayed at both the AKL(twice) and WL(several stays) and enjoyed the WL much more. I would suggest a woods view room overlooking the otter pond. These rooms face the MK, if you get the right room you can see some of the MK fireworks, the monorail and CR. I would suggest asking for a 4th or 5th floor room. We always ask for room 5032 and have gotten it more than once. The balcony is peaceful and you feel very isolated. Ask CRO to note the area you want when you make reservations.

On the 4th and 5th floor, over the resort entrance there are sitting areas with couches and chairs. Each place has a gas fireplace, these are neat places to sit and they overlook the lobby.

The boats to FW, CR and MK are nice. I have just ridden the boats for the enjoyment and not gotten off, but came back to the WL. You can sit in the open air.

I am always surprised no one mentions the smell at AKL. I am from the Midwest so am used to the smell of animals in the heat but I would think it would bother a lot of people. I guess I don't give you city folk enough credit:rotfl2: I think it would hamper a romantic morning sitting on my balcony.

That said, can't wait to go back. I love them both...WL would definately win it for me with either woods or courtyard views. Just don't pick standard or you old end up with a view of garbage trucks! Oh, and request a higher floor. Less chance of hearing Whispering Canyon Cafe.

Have a fun trip!

We have stayed at both several times and love them both dearly!!!! I personally think AKL is a more romantic resort in terms of peace and quiet, mellow pace, etc. To me it is a much quieter resort. We did our 28th anny there with a split stay at WL, using DVC points from a friend. I love the pool and the jacuzzis there as well and sitting by the firepit in the evening. I would request a room that is a higher floor and out on an end of a wing if at all possible. If at all possible if you stay there try to splurge on the Wynyama Safari. Hands down the best "extra" thing we have ever done at Disney. Yes it is a bit pricey (ab out $400 for two) but it includes an unbelievable safari that you can only do as a AKL guest and a multi course dinner at Jiko with all wine pairings and desert inlcuded. Just fantastic! Took almost 4 hours total!

WL holds a very special place in my heart as we have celebrated 25, 26, 27th and 28th (split stay with AKL)anniversaries there. It is much noisier and far less private than AKL. The lounge is enclosed and private but almost feels too dark to us. What we actually do there is bring stuff from off site (liquor and mixers) and fix our own cocktails to take to the pool or beach area. We request a room on the lowest level of the lodge facing the quiet pool in front of the DVC villas. You can go back and forth to your room across the lawn to fix a beverage or grab a snack if you want to.

There are so many other pros and cons for both resorts but ultimately, you can't go wrong with either especially if you will have your own car. I hope you have a fantastic time! We just LOVE Disney as adults and can't wait to go back again and renew our vows next year! :)

I am always surprised no one mentions the smell at AKL. I am from the Midwest so am used to the smell of animals in the heat but I would think it would bother a lot of people. I guess I don't give you city folk enough credit:rotfl2: I think it would hamper a romantic morning sitting on my balcony.

That said, can't wait to go back. I love them both...WL would definately win it for me with either woods or courtyard views. Just don't pick standard or you old end up with a view of garbage trucks! Oh, and request a higher floor. Less chance of hearing Whispering Canyon Cafe.

Have a fun trip!

We just spent 4 nights at AKL last year and there was no smell at all from the animals. :confused3

Both are great but WL to me would be my choice.

The lobby is almost a museum there is so much to see. The music, the large fireplace with rockers, cozy corners to sit and over look the lobby from upper floors, the courtyard with the waterfalls and pool. Bay lake with beach and view of the Electrical Water Parade.

While watching the animals was great, they were not always out and the Savannah without them is not much to look at and you always see the other buildings. Plus due to the animals, there are no walking areas. I love walking around outside and I love being somewhere with water as it is so relaxing and tranquil.

At WL, you see the lake and beach from the courtyard.

Here is a video of WL; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3kRw2iv5SM

Wow, tough choice for this type of trip and really can't go wrong with either. I love both but if I had a choice over savannah view at AKL and lake vew at WL, would have to go with WL. That's just me though as anytime i can sit, relax, enjoy a drink and the company of my beautiful wife overlooking a water view, will be my choice every time, especially as the sun goes down and the reflections off the water intensify. Hmmmm, makes me think i need to start planning a 25th anni trip fall 2013. :lovestruc

I think it totally depends on which theme appeals to you the most, since they were designed by the same architect and share many of the same features (just themed differently).

I personally prefer WL. I love the woodsy theme and the fact that I can be 20 minutes from home and feel like I'm halfway across the country. A big part of the appeal for me is the lake. I really miss being near a water feature when I stay at AKL. The animals are nice, but after a half hour, I'm kind of done with that. In answer to a pp comment, I did not notice any smells from the animals and I'm rather picky when it comes to that.

But as far as room size and resort amenities, they are very similar so you just need to figure out which one appeals to you more.

I think it totally depends on which theme appeals to you the most, since they were designed by the same architect and share many of the same features (just themed differently).

I personally prefer WL. I love the woodsy theme and the fact that I can be 20 minutes from home and feel like I'm halfway across the country. A big part of the appeal for me is the lake. I really miss being near a water feature when I stay at AKL. The animals are nice, but after a half hour, I'm kind of done with that. In answer to a pp comment, I did not notice any smells from the animals and I'm rather picky when it comes to that.

But as far as room size and resort amenities, they are very similar so you just need to figure out which one appeals to you more.

I completely agree with what I bolded above.

Both resorts are equally romantic depending on what appeals to you-- WL has that cozy, woods-y feel with the indoor fireplaces and hidden lounges off the lobby-- plus access to the lake, which provides boats to the MK, CR, and FW. AKL, on the other hand, has a somewhat more exotic lobby with a larger pool area and savanna viewing areas. Just depends on what speaks more to you-- just a few pictures of each should do the trick!

I would also advise looking into the menus of the restaurants at both resorts if you intend to stay put for meals since this could be a big factor in your decision. Personally, I much prefer the restaurants at the AKL to those at the WL, which can make it hard for me to pick the WL (despite its more convenient location).

Good luck and let us know what you decide! You truly cannot go wrong with either resort. :goodvibes

We stayed AKL and we loved it! Just be sure to know with AKL if you are going for a romantic trip, close your curtains because there are security cameras on the animals and rooms! Wink Wink!

AKL was nice to visit, but not where I would choose to stay. If I want an Animal theme, I will visit Animal Kingdom. Just not would I want for my entire vacation stay. Additionally, if the animals aren't in view, I thought the Savanah view was sort of ugly. Wasn't overly impresses by the pool area either.

I like the proximity of the WL to the MK. Makes just wanting to take a stroll along Main Street a mere water launch ride away.The boat ride itself is lovely. Additionally, we enjoy the Electric Water Pagent that appears nightly on Bay Lake. Personally we enjoy the view of the Wilderness Lodge Villas. A room that overlooks the walking/biking path to Fort Wilderness and the Villas.

It's really just a matter of preference. If you're big into animals..then go with the AKL. If not..then I think WL is a more romantic choice. JMO.

My DH and I just returned from 3 nights at WL........we stayed at AKL and LOVED it...but

Most romantic...

Wilderness Lodge

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter