AKL or WL for romantic husband/wife trip?

disneyvoice

DIS Veteran
We are planning a last minute husband/wife trip for September after a very stressful year to just relax, hang out together, and have fun. We have never stayed at either AKL or WL but we have been to both before to eat at Boma and Artist Point.

We will have a car so transportation distances/methods to the parks have never been a big deal to us. We know AKL is far away from most of the parks but that doesn't bother us.

We will probably be spending more time at the resort than we usually do since we want to spend time together so having places to just hang out and relax at the resort would be important - like a indoor bar where we can just sit and talk together, an outdoor pool bar where we can sit by the pool and talk. We usually spend some time at the water parks so I don't know if we would use the resort pool but if they are nice and have nice hot tubs that could be appealing.

A savannah view room sounds good for being able to sit on the balconey together in the late afternoon/evening and watch the animals or stroll around the indoor and outdoor viewing area and watch the animals together.

We know that both resorts have great restaurant options but we will probably also eat at the parks and other resorts. We aren't breakfast eaters and eat lunch at the parks so CS restaurants at the resort aren't a factor for us.

We have spent more time looking around AKL than WL since we eat at Boma on every visit. So I probably need more info on WL.

Any and all opinions, positive and negative, are appreciated!

We honeymooned at the WL and loved it. We enjoyed the secluded woodsy location while still being close to MK or the monorail at the Contemporary. Our favorite thing to do was walk through the woods towards FW each morning. It gave us a nice quiet start to the day, and a chance to spend time with just the two of us. Another thing we love about WL is being right on Bay Lake. We rented a pontoon boat one afternoon and went exploring. :drive:

We haven't stayed at AKL, but in your situation it seems you would be well equipped to deal with the transportation downside. If a savannah view is a possibility, hanging out in the room would be really neat.

If we had that exact choice to make, I am not sure which way we'd go, but either would have to be great since they are both awesome resorts. Enjoy!

I've stayed at both and you really cannot go wrong with either!

However, I am partial to AKL because we are DVC owners and that's our home resort. I absolutely love the savanna and find it very romantic.

My DH and I did a stay alone at Kidani last year and did pretty much what you're talking about doing. We hung out at the resort a lot and enjoyed some things unique to AKL. We went to the presentation one night in the library at Kidani (open to those staying at AKL too). It was a representative from an African nation who shared photos and all about their country. It was so cool and one of the highlights of the trip.

Good luck with your decision.

I've stayed at both and I think I would select WL over AKL for that type of trip. The AKL is much more grandiose whereas the WL is very dark and cozy, IMHO. Not only do you have the main pool, but you also have a secondary smaller pool that is sort of tucked away closer to the suites. The room patios are also a little more private in all the trees.

I also like the ferryboat amenity at WL as a secondary option over the shuttle bus to MK. You also have a little sandy inlet where you can watch the electronic float parade at night.

The only non-romantic thing about WL is Whispering Canyons - you can skip that!

I too love both resorts. But we stayed at AKL (savannah view) for our 30th anniversary, and it was very special. There wasn't a single thing that I could find fault with. LOVED having my morning coffee and late evening nightcaps on the balcony. Great dining choices- Mara, Boma, Sanaa (at Kidani) and Jiko are all at the top end of their respective dining categories IMO. Victoria Falls is one of our favourite lounges. We loved spending time in the lobby and the outside public areas. The only thing that it didn't have (that WL has) was boat transportation to a park. Not really a big deal for us.

But I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Pick the one that tugs the hardest on your heartstrings.

I think the lounge at the WL is enclosed and less bustling than the one at AKL. the one at AKL is open to Boma isn't it?

My DH and I had a wonderful, romantic trip last November at the AKL. We loved sitting in the rocking chair watching the animals, hanging in the more secluded hot tubs, and of course see the animals from our balcony was amazing!

We've stayed at both and I agree that you really can't go wrong with either one as they are both great resorts :). With that said, my choice would be the WL as it has a more romantic atmosphere to me. The woodsy surroundings are beautiful and it's relaxing to sit in a rocking chair in front of the huge fireplace in the lobby taking everything in :cloud9:. Good luck deciding, although I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter which resort you choose :wizard:.

We've stayed at both & they both have there charms but for a romantic trip I'd say WL hands down. We were able to watch the electric water parade from our balcony there. But it's also nice to watch the animals from the balcony at akl. But for the charm & romantic plus the boat ride is nice I'd go WL.

I think the lounge at the WL is enclosed and less bustling than the one at AKL. the one at AKL is open to Boma isn't it?

Well, the lounge can be quite intimate depending on where you sit and I would def consider it a romatic spot. I'm a huge AKL lover, so it would be my top choice. They sell African wine in the gift shop, which seemed reasonably priced - you could bring a bottle back to the room and sit out and watch the animals.

I would say for a more peaceful setting, WL offers it. AKL with the addition of villas has become pretty big. It offers more eating choices, but as you say you will be eating at other places. My vote is for WL!

I've never stayed at AKL (although it's definitely on my list of to-dos!) but we honeymooned at the WL and it will always be our favorite.

Just like the PPs though, I don't think you could go wrong with either. I'd love to hear what you choose!

OP here. Thanks to everyone for their feedback so far - it is greatly appreciated.

Being much less familiar with WL, can you let know which room type/location would be best for a romantic stay. We won't be able to afford any of the suites so I guess it really comes down to the location - which I know can't be guarenteed. If you had a specific room that you really liked for location and view (which I know isn't necissarily a good idea to request since chances are it will already be occupied when you arrive) could you let me know? At least I can find it on the detailed maps and get a good idea of some possible romantic areas.

Thank you!

We just had our anniversary at the AKL..it was wonderful..be sure and get a savannah view room.. lay in bed and watch the animals....awesome. I didnt find anything special about our WL stay...would pick the YC or poly over the WL...but the AKL was great. very quiet also.

I would also add that the hot tubs (if you use them) are more secluded at the Akl. kinda seperated from the pool and surrounded by vegitation.

We found the WL lobby to be quite spectacular, and loved how the stream passes through it, out into the courtyard, down a waterfall, and eventually leads to the pool. But everyone has their own ideas of what is special or romantic.

For room locations, a great reference is the map on the first page of the WL thread in this post. There are relatively limited locations for standard views. Most of the rooms are either Woods or Courtyard views. Which would suit your romantic preferences is totally up to you. We had a Courtyard view in the North wing near the West end of the pool, and had a great view of the pool area and the lake, but a Woods view on the other side of the same wing would be able to see MK in the distance. Some people prefer a quieter courtyard view, and on the South wing there are Courtyard View rooms that look towards the Villas, so this might be a good option. Each view type is a bookable category though, and has different pricing associated with it. Our call this time was to book a Standard view and take whatever we get. If we get an upgrade, great, if not we can't go too wrong, and it is a relatively small resort.

I've stayed at both. WL for part of my honeymoon and AKL for a romantic trip with my DH.

While both resorts are wonderful, I would suggest AKL for a romantic trip where you are planning to spend time at the resort. AKL is so relaxing and beautiful. Spend the extra money on the savannah view-it is so worth it! The room decor is gorgeous. The bar is nice. All of the restaurants are fantastic. If you stay club level, you can also sign up for a close up safari tour around the AKL savannahs, which is really fun.

We have stayed at both, but prefer AKL for the romantic feel. Love watching the animals from the Savanna rooms. We love Victoria Falls to just relax and have a drink. We also love the hot tubs. It has a very romantic feel and after time in the parks, we really like the fact that it is farther away from the hustle and bustle of Disney.

If transportation isn't a factor, I'd do AKL over WL any day. I kinda hate the decor there and at the Grand Californian although I've stayed at both. Next time we go to DL though we'll not stay at the GC, just not our taste at all. We're minimal/mid century modern people though, so take that recommendation with a grain of salt.

Have stayed at both and you can't go wrong but IMO AKL has the edge.
Jiko is my favorite restaurant on property and it would be a great spot for a romantic dinner;
the hot tubs are great; the animals are stunning; the Sunset Lounge (off the lobby) and Arusha Rock are both usually quiet and empty, as are the terraces of the lobby.
Plus, Victoria Falls is a festive lounge.
I LOVE AKL :love:
Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter