AK refused entry for teen dressed as Tink, yet Hollywood Studios allowed it, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-tinker-bell-teen-20120605,0,719849.story

Sorry if this has been posted before, I did a fast look (even searched) and didn't see it... Seems this 15 year old girl dressed up as Tink & her BF as Peter Pan. She was allowed in to DHS but then denied admission to AK. They told her she looked too much like Tink and it would not be good for little girls to see her that way. Their website does state that "adults" cannot wear costumes that are too close to those who are characters while in the theme parks.. At 15, she is not a true adult. If they are going by her ticket price, then does that mean a 10 year old girl cannot wear a Princess dress anymore either? I have some mixed feelings on this, I really do. She is only 15, not 19. There is a difference in their mindset and maturity at that age. She is still a kid in so many ways. Add that to the fact this past weekend was Star Tours Weekend and there were women in their 40's dressed as Princess Laya..some pretty gross looking I might add to that..... EEK... yet they weren't denied entry? There are some who wear spandex where you can see every thing left to the imagination, yet they aren't denied entry.. this older child (yes 15 is still a child by legal standards) looked cute... yet she was denied entry to AK????? I am not posting this to start a huge out right debate on who thinks what.. I am only stating I think Disney is wrong in considering this child an adult.. I know by terms of her pass, she is paying adult price and so is a 10 year old.. yet they aren't denied admission. By terms of the law, 18 is legal adulthood... at 15, she is a child...and everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and opinions........ My concern is ........and real question is....... why was she denied admission in one park, yet not another.. they are both Disney owned and operated? :confused3

You cannot compare that girl and a 10 year in a princess dress. She looked far too much like an adult.

OMG, give me a break. Her poor BF, I bet he never lives down these photos. Follow the rules and you won't end up disappointed.

I'm not convinced that either park let her in while in costume. I know that is what the family is saying.

Disney doesn't let people that age wear costumes because they only want their people representing the Princesses for children.

That girl was too old to cry because she had to take her Tinkerbell costume off.

Instead of calling news people, her mother should have told her to quit whining and crying.

Fifteen years old! And crying because she had to follow the rule and take her Tinkerbell costume off!

I can't believe Disney gave her a shirt and Fastpasses.

Geez.
I agree with you. The crying was over the top.

I'm not convinced that either park let her in while in costume. I know that is what the family is saying.

Disney doesn't let people that age wear costumes because they only want their people representing the Princesses for children.

That girl was too old to cry because she had to take her Tinkerbell costume off.

Instead of calling news people, her mother should have told her to quit whining and crying.

Fifteen years old! And crying because she had to follow the rule and take her Tinkerbell costume off!

I can't believe Disney gave her a shirt and Fastpasses.

Geez.

I don't think the Orlando Sentinel is going to print an out right lie about Hollywood studios allowing her in. They even showed pictures of her by ToT :confused3. Do you have a 15 year old yet? The do still cry... they aren't real adults yet.... while they like to come off as pure know it alls, and trust me, many of them like that rep of a know it all, they aren't and do still cry. She was hurt. She planned this big thing for her and her BF, and it went sour... that is hard for a kid to comprehend sometimes... they do not have the mindset of an adult.. you need to remember that. They have feelings that are still childlike in many ways. This wasn't meant to debate her actions, my post was to question the actions of Disney.. and I do believe Hollywood Studios allowed her in, the paper has the story and pictures along with it.. did they go as far as photo shopping pics for the story... I highly doubt that....:confused:

I think Disney needs to look into how she got into HS dressed like that - age is not really the issue, the issue is that, from the photographs, she looks older than her apparent age and could appear to smaller children as the "real" Tinkerbell.

Even if it was busy at HS, she would have stuck out like a sore thumb in a bright green dress with wings. Its possible though that both got into HS in a cut down version of the costume - for instance if she were just wearing the dress without wings, and he without the hat or had some kind of shirt on over it.

I'm guessing that if they managed to get into HS and then add the extras then security wouldnt stand much chance of noticing and CM's would assume those on the gates and security around the gates had let them in and wouldn't question it unless the pair seemed to be doing anything to cause concern. Possibly when they then went to AK someone had already raised a concern and that's when they got stopped. Who knows..... :banana:
Now that is a good thought.. I didn't consider that.. that sure would be possible! Thank you for addressing what my question was... :thumbsup2 It was only her that was stopped, at least that is the way I read the article.. not him... I guess his outfit wasn't as original looking as hers was....

I agree with you. The crying was over the top.

...and 15 year old girls do not cry? :confused3 hmmmm I raised two of them... and they cried when they were hurt at that age... one even cried over not being able to play soccer anymore due to her knee injury..... silly isn't it..... but to them it is major.

No, they never would have went into the park dressed this way, but when they had a major disappointment in their lives they cried.. they still do at times.. just that the disappointment has to be "larger" than when they were 15.

OMG, give me a break. Her poor BF, I bet he never lives down these photos. Follow the rules and you won't end up disappointed.

Did anyone tell them the rules? The story only states that they are on the website.. if we all weren't on this board as often as we were.. would we all know they didn't allow it? :confused3 I don't think she realized she was "breaking rules" when she went in costume...
and you are probably right about her BF, he may never live those photos down... that is what Disney is about.. making memories.. ;) He will sure have this memory for the remainder of his life.. :goodvibes and she will too.. but hers will be a sour one..

...and 15 year old girls do not cry? :confused3 hmmmm I raised two of them... and they cried when they were hurt at that age... one even cried over not being able to play soccer anymore due to her knee injury..... silly isn't it..... but to them it is major.

No, they never would have went into the park dressed this way, but when they had a major disappointment in their lives they cried.. they still do at times.. just that the disappointment has to be "larger" than when they were 15.

No where in my post did I say that 15 year olds don`t cry, I just stated that this 15year old crying the way she did was over the top. I personally don`t clasify being told to change your clothes at disney as being something major - there are worse things that can happen in life.

It's just inconsistency on their part. Maybe she arrived at DHS at Rope Drop and got lost in the crowd? Who knows?

I agree that it's slightly ridiculous that she cried because they wouldn't let her wear her costume. Really? She's relating her ability to suspend reality to an 8 year olds? The potential of weirdos dressing up as characters and kidnapping children IS more important than a 15 year old wanting to dress up in a theme park.

another good thought.. but to get to rope drop, she would have had to gone thru the turnstile.... at AK, they wouldn't let her in.. so that would mean they stopped her at the turnstile right??? I agree about the potential of weirdos dressing up as characters and taking a child is more important than a 15 yr olds feelings.... that is why I questioned why they were allowing adults to dress up as Star War characters this past weekend at DHS???? I saw some really odd and nasty looking adults and some that for a minute, I thought were the real thing myself and took a double take.... so there seems to be some sort of double standard here. You can dress as Star Wars as they are not Disney owned.. but not a true Disney Character???? that makes no sense.. as for a child running to a character, they will run to Star Wars just as they would run to Tink... no difference.... :confused3

SHE'S ONLY 15! Really? That girl looks like she's at least 25!! She should have been denied entrance to every park dressed as Tink. She doesn't look anything like a child.

If that girl is 15 then I am going to be 18 next Friday. What a foolish argument 10 year old vs that particular 15 year old. There is no mistaking the age difference in this one. And usually when you have an "official" boy friend you can say that your childhood days are over and you are now a young adult.

They may not have known that they couldn't wear a costume at Disney. I'm sure many don't...but that reaction...really? Crying? Really? Spoiled much? I had two daughters and they cried but over real things. They would have had to much self pride to even attempt to be the center of attention at a theme park. If stopped, I guarantee you...there would be no crying.

No where in my post did I say that 15 year olds don`t cry, I just stated that this 15year old crying the way she did was over the top. I personally don`t clasify being told to change your clothes at disney as being something major - there are worse things that can happen in life.

no, you didn't say they don't cry, but stating over the top implies that. While you don't classify being told to change your clothing as a major thing, she may. We don't know her.. do we? Do we know if she was Autisic? Do we know if she was Bipolar? Do we know anything about her other than she was a 15 year old female who cried because she was told to change her clothing? No, we don't.. I am not going to condem a 15 year old for crying over that, nor will I say that is "over the top". It sure would not be if she had some medical issues that were weren't aware of... and I am not about to go down that road.. kids at 15 are still kids and some still cry period... and for her, that was a major issue.. she was let down. For you it isn't, for me it isn't.. but we cannot say it isn't for her, now can we? I cannot state something about you when I don't know you..can I? :confused3 That is the reason I didn't want this to turn into a debate about the girl.. I was merely trying to bring up the fact Disney was not consistent in their policy..and why? Adult is legally 18 and up, not 15 anyway... ;)

Oh my gosh, really. They even gave her free clothes, for Pete's sake. Must have been a slow news day for this to even get mentioned.

Just a thought but does Tink actually do meet and greets at DHS?? I can't remember seeing her out anywhere at DHS (although I could be mistaken) - so maybe that is why they allowed her entry into DHS. Although I don't remember seeing a Tink meet and greet at AK either ... :confused3
19743F6B639FD744E2C5767022EE7879.png

no, you didn't say they don't cry, but stating over the top implies that. While you don't classify being told to change your clothing as a major thing, she may. We don't know her.. do we? Do we know if she was Autisic? Do we know if she was Bipolar? Do we know anything about her other than she was a 15 year old female who cried because she was told to change her clothing? No, we don't.. I am not going to condem a 15 year old for crying over that, nor will I say that is "over the top". It sure would not be if she had some medical issues that were weren't aware of... and I am not about to go down that road.. kids at 15 are still kids and some still cry period... and for her, that was a major issue.. she was let down. For you it isn't, for me it isn't.. but we cannot say it isn't for her, now can we? I cannot state something about you when I don't know you..can I? :confused3 That is the reason I didn't want this to turn into a debate about the girl.. I was merely trying to bring up the fact Disney was not consistent in their policy..and why? Adult is legally 18 and up, not 15 anyway... ;)

Then we will have to agree to disagree. You keep stating that she is still a kid and she may be but dressed as she was she certainly did not look like a kid. I wonder if they would have tried putting her in the largest size Tinkerbell dress that they sell at the parks if she would have fit in it - I highly doubt it.

Just a thought but does Tink actually do meet and greets at DHS?? I can't remember seeing her out anywhere at DHS (although I could be mistaken) - so maybe that is why they allowed her entry into DHS. Although I don't remember seeing a Tink meet and greet at AK either ... :confused3
19743F6B639FD744E2C5767022EE7879.png

I don't remember seeing her at a meet and greet at either of those places.. she use to be at EPCOT, but that was only during the Flower and Garden show when they had the Fairy Garden... the only other place she really is for a meet and greet is at the MK, and she never ever ever walks around.. she is inside.... I could be wrong though... just that I have never seen her

Then we will have to agree to disagree. You keep stating that she is still a kid and she may be but dressed as she was she certainly did not look like a kid. I wonder if they would have tried putting her in the largest size Tinkerbell dress that they sell at the parks if she would have fit in it - I highly doubt it.

agree to disagree.. and my 23 year old fits in the child's largest Belle dress... just for the sake of settling sizes. My 19 year old is even skinnier than my 23 year old...:eek: think she may fit in the second to largest size..
On my DD's 22nd birthday, she actually tried the Belle Dress on... over her clothing.. and got it on.....:thumbsup2 ...but to be fair.. she has a smaller build than what this 15 year old looks as if she has.....:flower3:

035.jpg
032.jpg

How about MNSSHP? I was planning on dressing up, maybe not a disney character though ????

There are a lot of Disney characters running around at MNSSHP........some really good ones too. But that is Halloween party and costumes are expected.

Oh my gosh, really. They even gave her free clothes, for Pete's sake. Must have been a slow news day for this to even get mentioned.
I wonder how many times this happens at the parks. I would imagine this isn't the first time something like this has happened. I think it must have been the girls family who went to the media. I think in her shoes I would have been thrilled - she got to go through HS dressed as Tinkerbell and when she went to AK she got a free t shirt and fastpasses.

I wonder how many times this happens at the parks. I would imagine this isn't the first time something like this has happened. I think it must have been the girls family who went to the media. I think in her shoes I would have been thrilled - she got to go through HS dressed as Tinkerbell and when she went to AK she got a free t shirt and fastpasses.

and I totally agree here.. the fast pass alone would have made me happy... but again, we aren't her.. I am sure it was her mother who went to the media.. the media isn't going to listen to a child.. and this is where 15 years old becomes a child once again.. the media is very unlikely going to listen to a complaint from her, but her mother.. yep.. they will cover the story :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter