Airtran and not paying for seats

I will be leaving on airtran to Orlando in 11 days. I haven't paid the extra $15 pp to pick seats. Will they keep my two grand kids next to me? They are 13 and 9 and that is essential. TIA!

I understand your point about them being old enough to be split except that the 13 is a girl and I would rather she sat with me.
I don't get it. It's ESSENTIAL (your words) that your grandkids sit next to you. So why didn't you pay the extra $ to make sure of that? Or call Airtran and ask them the question?

We have some "cheapy" airlines in my home town, but by the time you add seat selection prices (because it's also essential to me my family sits together), in addition to the baggage fees, they're not so "cheap".

And I think your fears are unfounded about child molesters on airplanes. To say nothing about most child molesters are friends/family, I would think an airplane would be too crowded for anything to happen. Does the 13yo ever go to the mall/movies with friends? I should hope she knows how to handle herself if something does happen.

I don't get it. It's ESSENTIAL (your words) that your grandkids sit next to you. So why didn't you pay the extra $ to make sure of that? Or call Airtran and ask them the question?

We have some "cheapy" airlines in my home town, but by the time you add seat selection prices (because it's also essential to me my family sits together), in addition to the baggage fees, they're not so "cheap".

And I think your fears are unfounded about child molesters on airplanes. To say nothing about most child molesters are friends/family, I would think an airplane would be too crowded for anything to happen. Does the 13yo ever go to the mall/movies with friends? I should hope she knows how to handle herself if something does happen.

I totally agree with you! I can't imagine not paying to sit by my family..my kids are 14 and 15 and we always sit together. I certainly would not budge if someone asked me to move so their family could sit together (we normally sit 3 and the aisle across). We paid the extra to sit together and someone thinks they don't have to and people should move for them....sorry nope!

As for the child molesters on a plane...OMG what about the mall as this poster mentioned. Not to mention UNIVERSAL AND DISNEY WORLD...think if a molester were out there that is a bigger and easier place to get away. They are in stores, in schools (some teachers turn and molest kids), bus drivers, etc. They can be your family member and neighbor--- my friend in a rural area has FIVE registered SEX OFFENDERS living across the street from her and there are NO LAWS stopping this!

I think grandma needs to open her eyes and if it is imperative pay for seats on the way home too. The grandchildren are exposed every day to the "wrong" type of people...the priests who molest, etc seem like the perfect innocent person. They one scary long haired tattooed person might be the best person to protect your grandchild.

In the end please don't expect anyone to move if you don't prepay. If money is that tight that you can't pay the extra then don't go. Or cut back on eating out, drinking sodas in park, buying souveniers, etc so you can all sit together and you can protect what is precious.

They one scary long haired tattooed person might be the best person to protect your grandchild.

If anyone on here has ever done the Breast Cancer 3 Day walk they might fully agree!

I did it years ago. The "volunteers" who were the GREATEST.... A group of men who rode HUGE motorcycles, long hair and tattoo's.... They provided a LOT of support to middle age women struggling to finish 60 miles in 3 days. WHile you might have RUN from them in real life, it certainly made me reconsider what I had been thinking.... underneath the "makeup" they were just giant teddy bears! :goodvibes I would have trusted them with my kids.

(And as a frequent flyer, I have never sat next to anyone who tried to molest me :) )

Generally, they try to seat entire families together, but there are no guarantees, not even if you pay for seat assignments. If you do pay extra for seat assignments, they will give you priority, of course, for better seating arrangements, though. Regardless, though, generally they will ensure that each child will be seated with at least one adult. Teens may or may not be.

It is important to keep in mind what you are and are not guaranteed when flying, so you aren't surprised during your trip, and so you can make the best decisions beforehand for your family.

Generally, they try to seat entire families together, but there are no guarantees, not even if you pay for seat assignments. If you do pay extra for seat assignments, they will give you priority, of course, for better seating arrangements, though. Regardless, though, generally they will ensure that each child will be seated with at least one adult. Teens may or may not be.

It is important to keep in mind what you are and are not guaranteed when flying, so you aren't surprised during your trip, and so you can make the best decisions beforehand for your family.
That may "generally" be true but I have personally seen a family of 4 (two sons) split into seats all over the plane. One son was fairly young, maybe 5, the other early teens.

Four different seats? Or 2 + 1 + 1 (which would be consistent what the general case I outlined). I've never seen them put a five year old significantly separated from any other family member. If that does indeed happen, it must be exceedingly rare.

Four different seats? Or 2 + 1 + 1 (which would be consistent what the general case I outlined). I've never seen them put a five year old significantly separated from any other family member. If that does indeed happen, it must be exceedingly rare.

Four different middle seats in 4 rows all over the plane from the front of coach all the way to the rear of the plane. This was in March on a flight from MCO to MKE.

edit: I went to find my original post on this topic in March http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=35974530&highlight=split+family#post35974530 Back then I posted the younger kid looked to be about 4 and the older maybe 10 or 11.

I sure hope that wasn't a surprise for the passengers, when they boarded. I guess I could see an airline doing that, in this context: The family presents itself for boarding without seat assignments, but there aren't two seats together any longer. The airline gives the family the choice to wait for the next flight that has two seats together, with no penalty, or to take what's available; and the family chooses to go on the earlier flight. At least that's what my hope is.

I sure hope that wasn't a surprise for the passengers, when they boarded. I guess I could see an airline doing that, in this context: The family presents itself for boarding without seat assignments, but there aren't two seats together any longer. The airline gives the family the choice to wait for the next flight that has two seats together, with no penalty, or to take what's available; and the family chooses to go on the earlier flight. At least that's what my hope is.

The family was flying AirTran on which you can pay to pre-select your seats.

If they chose not to do so, the airline has no need to allow them to change flights without cost. The family (not the airline) chose to risk sitting apart and then didn't check in at the 24 mark. The onus is not on the airline to fix the problem.

Of course, we don't know what happened in that specific situation, so I am speaking in generalities. However, judging by the fact that neither the FAs nor the parents requested that people move, I suspect that the family didn't think sitting together was worth paying for. Which is entirely their choice. Heck, by 5 my parents didn't think it was necessary for me to be on the same plane as them and I know we sat apart before I was 5.

The family was flying AirTran on which you can pay to pre-select your seats. If they chose not to do so, the airline has no need to allow them to change flights without cost.
True, but practically-speaking, there are exposures (PR if nothing else) to the airline for having minor children flying separate from other family members. It's just too much of a exposure, I feel, to not offer some mitigation, i.e., a switch to the next flight with appropriate seating available, with no penalty. If the airline offers that, even if that next flight is a few days later, and the family still decides to fly now, then yes, you're right - that's 100% the family's responsibility.

True, but practically-speaking, there are exposures (PR if nothing else) to the airline for having minor children flying separate from other family members. It's just too much of a exposure, I feel, to not offer some mitigation, i.e., a switch to the next flight with appropriate seating available, with no penalty. If the airline offers that, even if that next flight is a few days later, and the family still decides to fly now, then yes, you're right - that's 100% the family's responsibility.

We'll have to agree to disagree. If the family chooses not to pay for seats and doesn't check in before all the pairs are gone, it is 100% the family's responsibility.

The airline may be nice and try to reduce the impact of the family's choices, but it remains 100% the family responsibility.

I'm afraid you are living in a dream world. This is nothing new airlines have been separating kids and families for a looong time. My DD is 18 and I remember being separated from her going to Disney when she was 3.5 and this was on a big name airline well before the paying for seats etc stuff started. Over the years my kids and I have been separated many many times. It is no big deal to them and usually in all the case I've observed the parent is more upset than any child has ever been. Heck the last few years mine have asked to be apart so they can each get a window!

I do know that there is no way I would get up and get re-situated for a 13 yr old that didn't have apparent special needs and then I would be seriously wondering why they didn't pay to have this privileged. A 13 yr old is plenty old enough to care for themselves on an airplane and if they aren't then there are some serious issues going on somewhere.
PS they aren't even considered minors anymore by the airlines when they are flying alone.(at least they didn't used to be)

13 year olds are teens. I was specific, in the first message in this set of replies, distinguishing teens from other children. Actually, in that message, I mentioned specifically that I was talking about five year olds.

13 year olds are teens. I was specific, in the first message in this set of replies, distinguishing teens from other children.

Yes I know you were I was referring back to the OP sorry if it didn't seem that way.

I don't think either of her children were actually young enough for it to have been a problem. Like I said when I have seen families split up the only people upset was the parent. The kids usually roll with the punches and treat it like an adventure.

Understood. Thanks for the clarification.

A family vacation is all about budgeting--right down to the seat fees if applicable or necessary. It is not an entitlement. I have three children and all pay seat fees for a family of 5. I choose the $6 seats. It was nice a few years back when we would fly US Airways and have no bag fees or seat fees and get a free soda. Things have changed. We now fly Airtran for less, pay our seat and bag fees and still get a free soda. My point is that the cost of traveling has gone up for everyone. You should plan on the expense when planning your trip and stay in budget. It makes for a much nicer vacation.

Abductions? I don't think that there are a significant number. Molestations are another story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter