airmiles junkies unite!

I checked at customer service on that quesstion. It's by item - all the same or assortment and you can get as many as you like so if it's 5 items for 40 - buy 10 get 80.

I think I did pretty well this weekend on Airmiles collection - though not as excellent as the OP and some other previous posters.

I collected 373 Airmiles on Sunday. :yay: Some pretty good things to buy that yielded me loads of points:

buy 2 Starbucks coffee (50 AM)
buy 4 TP/paper towels/kleenex (100 AM)
buy 2 cans Unico tomatoes (20 AM)
buy 2 $25 gift cards (10 AM)
spend $100, get 10x AMs

I needed 1000 more Airmiles in September to get 2 DL passes for our spring break trip in March. I'm now down to needing only 340!!! :goodvibes

Winnipegger air mile collector checking in.

This year I've collected 2800+ mostly through Safeway, the purchase of a used vehicle (1000AM) and the BMO AM gold card.

Couple of effortless miles I've collected:
100 for signing up to a safeway mailing list- I can't believe I missed out on the Starbucks promo last week
10 miles for downloading the air miles app on my iphone. It's kind of buggy but it gave me free air miles so I won't complain.

Safeway has a buy 4 cereal boxes (minimum retail purchase $14.00) for 100 air miles this week, so I'll take advantage of that.

I'm going to use 1473 on a one-way flight from Orlando-Winnipeg and buying a one-way going there (I have a $50 voucher with Delta which I can use to my advantage.) I could have used all my miles on a return trip, but I need the extra for a flight to Vancouver later in 2011. airmilesshops.ca is also running a 10x miles event until Dec. 9 which I'll use to buy my Christmas presents. They just take almost two months to register into your account.

Wow, some great suggestions in this thread! I'm downloading the apple app as I type this and tomorrow I'll be heading to Safeway to buy some cereal! :lmao:

Just in case you haven't read your Safeway flyer, this Tuesday is 20X the air miles. The promo is usually 10X.

I think I'll pick up:
-the Coca-Cola promo for 50 miles
-the Smuckers promo for 50 miles

Not sure what else I'll pick up. Maybe the frozen burritos and leave it in my trunk for lunch break at work.

Has anyone here done a cost comparison as to whether or not it is more beneficial (more bang for the buck) to use the airmiles for flights or tickets?

I've just gotten started collecting airmiles and see they have far more options than Aeroplan as far as redeeming them.

We are planning a trip in May 2012 and I'm not sure whether to focus on accumulating points for flights (from Moncton or Halifax) versus using them for MYW base tickets, or Universal tickets, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advise :worship:

Has anyone here done a cost comparison as to whether or not it is more beneficial (more bang for the buck) to use the airmiles for flights or tickets?

I've just gotten started collecting airmiles and see they have far more options than Aeroplan as far as redeeming them.

We are planning a trip in May 2012 and I'm not sure whether to focus on accumulating points for flights (from Moncton or Halifax) versus using them for MYW base tickets, or Universal tickets, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advise :worship:

Generally speaking...you are better using your miles to get an item (camera, attraction tickets, gift cert) rather than airline tickets. With the airline tickets you have to pay the taxes and a fee. So in my case I can fly from Buffalo and pay less to buy a ticket than if I were to use my AM.

I have used tickets for flights. Flights just are not cheap from Edmonton! You do have to pay taxes but it is still way cheaper than paying the whole fare. I currently have almost enough for a Westjet Disney Vacation package for February. However, I may just buy flights and tickets for May. I really would like warm weather and Star Wars Weekends. Keep your eye out for specials either way. Have fun.

I am new to these posts but have just decided that I want to get 6 WDW and 6 USO tickets for our trip in 18 months, I will need 20,000 even:scared1:
Today and tomorrow is spend $100 get 100 and a bonus 25 for using your AEX card at Safeway, they also have an AEX card you can sign up for and get 150 points first use of the card. You guys probabaly know all this already but it will bump this thread up to the first page if nothing else.
Happy collecting everyone

I am new to these posts but have just decided that I want to get 6 WDW and 6 USO tickets for our trip in 18 months, I will need 20,000 even:scared1:
Today and tomorrow is spend $100 get 100 and a bonus 25 for using your AEX card at Safeway, they also have an AEX card you can sign up for and get 150 points first use of the card. You guys probabaly know all this already but it will bump this thread up to the first page if nothing else.
Happy collecting everyone

I hate to be a wet blanket but I don't think you could earn 20,000 in that time frame. Maybe 10,000.

I'm hoping to earn at least another 3000 airmiles by the end of the year....i was never serious about collecting them before, but now that we are possibly planning another trip in 2012, I want to use them for either flights or MYW tickets

I have used tickets for flights. Flights just are not cheap from Edmonton! You do have to pay taxes but it is still way cheaper than paying the whole fare. I currently have almost enough for a Westjet Disney Vacation package for February. However, I may just buy flights and tickets for May. I really would like warm weather and Star Wars Weekends. Keep your eye out for specials either way. Have fun.

Just curious......what is the Westjet Disney Vacation package? How many airmiles and what is included ?

I hate to be a wet blanket but I don't think you could earn 20,000 in that time frame. Maybe 10,000.

My husband and I each have at home businesses and we average about 7000 a year without trying, just using the BMO airmiles mastercard, I am really going to watch all the bonus oppertunites and see how close we can come. I agree I am probably not going to make it, it would be about 1000 a month, but I am really going to try!!

We went to Disneyland in 2009, used Airmiles for flights Vancouver to LAX for 4 of us and paid around $750.00 for the taxes and we bought our 3 day parkhoppers for around $700 so a total for flights/tix $1450.00. Often there are deals for around $250 per person Seattle-LAX so we will probably pay for the flights out of Seattle next time and use the Airmiles for the DL tickets. That way $1000.00 flights, $150.00 hotel/gas to Seattle and tickets free $1150.00.
Better to use Airmiles for park tickets and search for deals on flights.

When you get the Disney World package, are you able to use any Airmiles towards that? The only thing I've ever used my airmiles for were theater tickets.

Had a good night at Safeway, husband and I went through in two transactions to maximize the points,
my bill
grocery base 6
betty crocker 30
Conasta 30
Bonus spend $200 100
American Express 25

Husbands bill
Grocery base 8
Canada dry 30
Janes Chicken 30
Cascades TP 50
Kellogs 100
Bonus spend 200 100
Amceican express 25

For a grand total of 534 points

I know we won't be able to match that each shop but it sure was a good start!!

I thought I was doing good when I went to Metro today and got 72 AM:confused3. Ontario needs Safeway so I can rack up those AM.

Just curious......what is the Westjet Disney Vacation package? How many airmiles and what is included ?

The Westjet vacation package includes all the options you want.(Flights, Hotel, Passes, Meal Plan). It is based on the offers available through Westjet. The airmiles will be used at a rate to cover the cost of a Westjet vacation. The more options like hopper and watepark-the more expensive the package. Westjet recently had a Kids Fly Free promotion which saved on airmiles. 11000 is approximately $1500 towards the cost of a Westjet package.

Unless there is a good promotion it doesn't seem like the best deal. Flights are currently 25% off which is decent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter