Airlines never cease to amaze

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
They left my gate checked bag!

I was forced to check my carry on bag tonight. It is a backpack that fits under the seat on every plane but they said it would not and they said overhead was full. It was not.

Ironically it fit fine on the puddle jumper plane from home this was on the full size jet

Anyway, I gate checked it, landed and got notice that one bag was delayed. That one! The one that they took right on the ramp. The one that had all the important things I carry on that I don't want to check.

I asked here on Orlando just how can a bag you check right at the door to the aircraft get left and they had no answers. They did admit that was a new one

Airlines do not hire the sharpest pencils in the box to load and unload, or as I've heard it called, "throw on and throw off", our luggage.
I've had bags show up at my house two days after arriving back from a flight.

True but you'd think the guy that was standing next to the plane on the tarmac when he took the bag could manage to put it on the plane

Did you file a claim with the AA baggage office at MCO? Did they tell you when it’s expected to arrive and if it will be delivered to you?

I had US Air lose a gate checked bag once, but it was a flight with a connection. I had booked with points so had a lousy boarding position. They insisted I gate check it, and said it would be checked through to my final destination. Nope. I have flown only SW to Florida ever since.

A few years ago, as I was sitting on my plane, getting ready to take off, I looked out the window. There was one lonely bag, just sitting there, in front of the wing. Ok, they'll get to it. The woman behind me must have noticed it at the same time I did...seems it was her bag. It wasn't a large bag, more like carry on size. We watched and waited...nothing happened. After about 15 mins, as they shut the cabin door, the woman behind me called for the flight attendant. She informed her that her bag was sitting on the tarmac. Oh, that couldn't be, was the response. Oh, but it is..please look out my window. That flight attendant flew to the cabin, rapped on the door. After about 5 mins, a couple of guys come running over, grabbing the bag. Not sure where they ended up stowing it, but it was taken away. That poor woman.....I wish I could have found out if her bag made it to MCO, but I was using DME so no need to go to baggage claim!

They left my gate checked bag!

I was forced to check my carry on bag tonight. It is a backpack that fits under the seat on every plane but they said it would not and they said overhead was full. It was not.

Ironically it fit fine on the puddle jumper plane from home this was on the full size jet

Anyway, I gate checked it, landed and got notice that one bag was delayed. That one! The one that they took right on the ramp. The one that had all the important things I carry on that I don't want to check.

I asked here on Orlando just how can a bag you check right at the door to the aircraft get left and they had no answers. They did admit that was a new one
Just to clarify... I know on Delta, there are two different ways to hand over your bags once you're at the gate...
1) Turn it over at the gate desk. It will get a luggage tag, you'll get the receipt, and it's checked through to your final destination. Pick it up at baggage claim.
2) Turn it over somewhere on the jetway. Sometimes it's at the final turn (just before the boarding door), sometimes it's been at a designated spot on the jetway. These bags get claimed at your next stop, again somewhere before you enter the terminal itself (could be plane side, could be just inside the jetway, could be halfway up the jetway).

I don't know if American has the same setup, but is it possible they used situation 1 and you thought it was 2 (but I'd expect them to tell you to collect at baggage claim), or they used 2 and you thought 1?

How frustrating! I gate check all the time and have never had that happen.

Just to clarify... I know on Delta, there are two different ways to hand over your bags once you're at the gate...
1) Turn it over at the gate desk. It will get a luggage tag, you'll get the receipt, and it's checked through to your final destination. Pick it up at baggage claim.
2) Turn it over somewhere on the jetway. Sometimes it's at the final turn (just before the boarding door), sometimes it's been at a designated spot on the jetway. These bags get claimed at your next stop, again somewhere before you enter the terminal itself (could be plane side, could be just inside the jetway, could be halfway up the jetway).

I don't know if American has the same setup, but is it possible they used situation 1 and you thought it was 2 (but I'd expect them to tell you to collect at baggage claim), or they used 2 and you thought 1?
Nope. There was no mix up. The bag was left off the plane. As you should be aware they scan the tags and you can track the status of the bags, where they are, etc. on the app. It never left Charlotte. It was very clear to me on what was going on and who I gave the bag to. It was turned over as I walked in the door of the aircraft. It was checked to baggage claim. I got both an email and an update from the app that says sorry one of your bags has been delayed. So nope, no mistake on my end

Last edited:
Did you file a claim with the AA baggage office at MCO? Did they tell you when it’s expected to arrive and if it will be delivered to you?
Yes and no. All they could was they were going to try to get on the next flight they could
I looked at the tracking and last night they apparently checked it in to a flight to Phoenix! based on the flight number listed. It doesn't look like it was ever loaded on that flight but it got to sit in the airport all night instead of being put on the two other flights here last night. It was finally loaded on a flight at 7 something this morning. It landed about an hour ago. No idea when they'll get it to me.

All I can think is thank goodness I'm not someone who only brings a carry-on. I'd have had nothing. And I was even more thankful I decided at the very last minute to bring along a little wallet on a string so I had a place to put a few essentials or stuff like my ID, wallet, cash, etc would have been in that bag. That bag was basically my purse too. I happened to not wear something with pockets that day. Normally I do but we came from work so I didn't have on normal traveling clothes

Last edited:
How frustrating! I gate check all the time and have never had that happen.
Yeah me too. I usually have two bags, my backpack I had last night and a rolling bag. I'll almost always volunteer to check the rolling bag, when it's no required on the small planes

Oh lord :sad2: I would have been livid. Now you have me scared to carry on only next month!!!!!
I will never do it after this
And I'm still livid
Of all the bags the one that was already AT the dog gone aircraft

If you can do 2 bags try that. Surely they won't loose two

Oh and something else I noticed. It was identified as a delayed bag, not lost. So they knew where it was all the time. Knew from the start it was not going to make it to me. Just an interesting tidbit that they had that designation

Ugh that stinks!
What airline was it?
I've been lucky that I've never had to gate check a carry on. I'd be pretty ticked if I did and then they flippin' leave it on the jet way.

Ugh that stinks!
What airline was it?
I've been lucky that I've never had to gate check a carry on. I'd be pretty ticked if I did and then they flippin' leave it on the jet way.
American
We have to gate check all rolling bags with both them and Delta when flying to and from my home airport so I'm used to it but this was a first in that it wasn't there and it wasn't a rolling bag.
I realize it's a rare thing to happen but doesn't make it any better

Nope. There was no mix up. The bag was left off the plane. As you should be aware they scan the tags and you can track the status of the bags, where they are, etc. on the app. It never left Charlotte. It was very clear to me on what was going on and who I gave the bag to. It was turned over as I walked in the door of the aircraft. It was checked to baggage claim. I got both an email and an update from the app that says sorry one of your bags has been delayed. So nope, no mistake on my end

Ugh I swear Charlotte has been some of the WORST experiences with American for me. I don't know what it is about that airport, but everytime I'm there I feel like I encounter American staff who all have cases of the mondays....

Ugh I swear Charlotte has been some of the WORST experiences with American for me. I don't know what it is about that airport, but everytime I'm there I feel like I encounter American staff who all have cases of the mondays....
Hubs do tend to offer some of the worse CS

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!