Airline policy changes (United made another big one)

Also just cancelled the United flight that I booked myself (not through Chase). Below is what I copied and pasted from my cancellation screen (bold is my addition).

• Apply value to an electronic travel certificate
  • Select this option and you’ll receive a travel certificate by email which can be used for travel on United and United Express operated flights. Can be applied to book a new ticket up to 24 months from today.
The expiration date on the e-certificate I received via email is also today's date (4/14/20).
Thanks for posting. Have not yet cancelled my United flight, because I'm waiting until end of April to make a decision.

One interesting observation on the United process...once you click the "cancel" button, it's done. There is no follow-up question of "Are you SURE you want to cancel?" or anything like that. It's literally a single click once you select what type of credit you want (although, I have no idea why someone would select the "Rebook later with future flight credit" option). I'm attaching a picture so you can see what the screen looks like.

Attachments

• 03602F16-1C80-4A74-8839-E8C6DE9C2A16.jpeg
    03602F16-1C80-4A74-8839-E8C6DE9C2A16.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 16
One interesting observation on the United process...once you click the "cancel" button, it's done. There is no follow-up question of "Are you SURE you want to cancel?" or anything like that. It's literally a single click once you select what type of credit you want (although, I have no idea why someone would select the "Rebook later with future flight credit" option). I'm attaching a picture so you can see what the screen looks like.
When you click the cancel button and not select an option, I wonder if you could go back or it’s already cancelled? Thanks for posting this. Really helps!

Just wanted to update on my cancelled flight experiences for this weekend's now cancelled Rival Run Half Marathon :(. I had a United one-way booked with cash, and an Alaska one-way booked with Chase Ultimate Reward points. My playing chicken worked: both airlines cancelled. I posted earlier about the annoying Chase email re the Alaska cancellation that I tweeted and wrote a scathing email reply about. Well the email apparently worked. Last night I received a cancellation email from chase refunding my Chase points. They weren't there when I checked earlier, but I'll keep an eye out.

A couple days ago, United sent an email that my flight had been changed (I love how they don't say cancelled) to a connecting through Denver. I called and spoke to an agent saying that I wanted a refund to my card of both the flight and seat fees. She tried to say, "So you want to cancel," to which I jumped down her throat and said, "no, my flight was cancelled by the airline and I want a refund." Good god, they must have classes on this stuff to try to get people to accept vouchers. Anyway, all fees were refunded, and I'll be keeping a watch on my cards. The one annoyance is that I'd put the seat fees on my Amex Platinum and I was credited for those $200 as a travel fee. I suspect Amex will come at me later for those so I'll have to figure out how to use them again before the end of the year. But I figured that was better than a voucher that I don't want to be forced to use.

I hardly think anyone is flying in June, but in case you have a trip on Delta, they posted these new flying rules:

Social Distancing
We want to make it easier for you to practice social distancing during travel, so the following temporary changes will be implemented on all flights through June 30, 2020:
  • Reducing the total number of passengers per flight.
  • Blocking middle seats in Main Cabin, Delta Comfort+® and Delta Premium Select.
  • Pausing automatic, advance Medallion® Complimentary Upgrades, opens in a new window and processing any available upgrades at the gate.
  • Modifying our boarding process to now board by row, starting from the rear of the aircraft to the front. If you are seated in Delta One ®, First Class or are a Diamond Medallion® Member, you are welcome to board at any point during the boarding process.
If you're looking for seating options directly next to travel companions and family members, please speak to an agent at the gate.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/coronav...keeping-you-safe/onboard-services/#socialdist

Delta now rebooking travel through June 2020. And if you have Comfort+ seats, you are now boarding last!!!!!!

Updated as of Tuesday, April 14, 2020
  • Flexibility in Times of Change: Delta is now extending the ability to re-book travel scheduled through June 30, 2020, so you can make changes and travel through May 31, 2022.
  • Temporary Boarding Modifications: We now board by row, starting from the rear of the aircraft forward, to further promote social distancing.
  • Promoting safety and social distancing on board: To give you more space, middle seats are now blocked and Complimentary Upgrades will be processed at the gate only -- still by priority order.
  • Extending Your Benefits: 2020 Medallion Status will be extended for an additional year through January 31, 2022.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/coronavirus-update-center/overview

I have been trying to figure out if I should cancel my flight that I had for my June Danube River cruise. I went into my United account and my return flight home from Prague is gone. I haven’t been contacted at all. I really want my money back at this point but it was purchased half points half cash so I‘m not sure who to call.

I have been trying to figure out if I should cancel my flight that I had for my June Danube River cruise. I went into my United account and my return flight home from Prague is gone. I haven’t been contacted at all. I really want my money back at this point but it was purchased half points half cash so I‘m not sure who to call.

You're the second person who has posted something today (the other person is in another travel thread that I follow) about an international flight on United disappearing off of their itinerary but not receiving any notice from the airline.

Did you book it through United? As one reservation or two? If it's all the same ticket/reservation then they have cancelled your flight, and you are entitled to a refund of the entire flight according to the Department of Transportation. If you booked them as two separate tickets/reservations, then you at the least are due a refund for the flight home from Prague.

Don't let them give you the line about some sort of eCredit. They cancelled your flight and therefore owe you a *refund*. DON'T cancel the other leg, unless it's a completely separate ticket.

Sayhello

Did you book it through United? As one reservation or two? If it's all the same ticket/reservation then they have cancelled your flight, and you are entitled to a refund of the entire flight according to the Department of Transportation. If you booked them as two separate tickets/reservations, then you at the least are due a refund for the flight home from Prague.

Don't let them give you the line about some sort of eCredit. They cancelled your flight and therefore owe you a *refund*. DON'T cancel the other leg, unless it's a completely separate ticket.

Sayhello
We booked it through the chase portal. It was all booked under one reservation, but now my return flight from Prague is just gone. It is so strange.

We booked it through the chase portal. It was all booked under one reservation, but now my return flight from Prague is just gone. It is so strange.

Call the airline. My friend had done similar, booking a multi city trip (three separate legs) via Chase Portal using points and one leg using United points, and in addition she had paid an upgrade fee for one leg to first class. One flight leg was cancelled by United and they refunded her the ENTIRE trip, refunding a portion to Chase, who will credit her, and they issued her United points back and refunded her upgrade fee. All done in one phone call.

Call the airline. Cancelling one leg of either a round trip ticket or a multi city itinerary is enough to get you a refund for the whole trip.

Call the airline. My friend had done similar, booking a multi city trip (three separate legs) via Chase Portal using points and one leg using United points, and in addition she had paid an upgrade fee for one leg to first class. One flight leg was cancelled by United and they refunded her the ENTIRE trip, refunding a portion to Chase, who will credit her, and they issued her United points back and refunded her upgrade fee. All done in one phone call.

Call the airline. Cancelling one leg of either a round trip ticket or a multi city itinerary is enough to get you a refund for the whole trip.
Thanks...I will give it a try.

Thanks for the advice. Just got off the phone with United. The associate first tried to tell me they could get me on an alternative flight. I declined since I knew they cancelled the non -stop one.
She put me on hold for awhile...then came back and said she could give me credit. I said that was not good since they cancelled and spoke of the DOT contracts of carriage..so she put me on hold again to speak to another supervisor...finally she came back again and said she has good news for me she got authorization for a refund. She said it will take 7-10 days.

Just a head's up for those of you calling and getting refunds. As i posted here the other day, I had refunds coming from United and Alaska flights for the Star Wards half marathon. I've been keeping an eye on my credit card refunds and saw the seat charge for the United flights come through, but the "new" itinerary was still showing on my united account. I decided to call and good thing. The first agent had apparently neglected to cancel the flight!!! I was furious. The guy who answered this time had some funny things to say about the first agent's competence. Anyway, a reminder to keep checking itineraries that have allegedly been cancelled.

I *think* I was refunded my Chase URs for the Alaska trip, but it's showed up weird in my account. If anyone else has received a Chase UR refund, I'd be interested in how yours showed up. I had to go way back to the trip booking date where the points were zeroed out. In other words, the original redemption was zero rather than having two transactions of a debit and credit. Weird, but I think my points are back.

Just a head's up for those of you calling and getting refunds. As i posted here the other day, I had refunds coming from United and Alaska flights for the Star Wards half marathon. I've been keeping an eye on my credit card refunds and saw the seat charge for the United flights come through, but the "new" itinerary was still showing on my united account. I decided to call and good thing. The first agent had apparently neglected to cancel the flight!!! I was furious. The guy who answered this time had some funny things to say about the first agent's competence. Anyway, a reminder to keep checking itineraries that have allegedly been cancelled.

I *think* I was refunded my Chase URs for the Alaska trip, but it's showed up weird in my account. If anyone else has received a Chase UR refund, I'd be interested in how yours showed up. I had to go way back to the trip booking date where the points were zeroed out. In other words, the original redemption was zero rather than having two transactions of a debit and credit. Weird, but I think my points are back.

I received a Chase points refund for my Delta flight, and the points just showed up back in my account...literally within minutes of hanging up the phone (they said it could take 30 days or 1-2 billing cycles). I didn't even think to check the billing statement because my points showed up (I was almost out of points, so I know what's now there is my refund).

Did you have flights on Alaska Airlines? I have a reservation with them booked with a combo of points and $ that I am procrastinating dealing with. I can't go through their website; I have to call Chase. I noticed with the United reservation I have booked with Chase points, I can access (and cancel for a voucher) on the United website.

Same happened to me! My flight was showing up as cancelled, but giving me an option to "use future flight credit" which seemed odd. I called again yesterday and found out the first guy I spoke to simply cancelled my reservation, but didn't initiate a refund. Geez. So, the lady I spoke to yesterday did it for me, and I feel confident about it this time because she read off the last 4 digits of my credit card and said it would be refunded there in 7-21 days. She also told me that my refund is #250 in line to be processed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter