Ahhh - sweet bliss! just back from 10 days at the Fort

loriandmatt

DIS Veteran
I knew it was going to be great but WOW!

Thanks to all here for your wonderful tips and info. They helped make the most of our trip.

My 6 year old son has proclaimed FW to be "peacock paradise", we stumbled upon (literally) two newborn ducklings, there were rabbits and those little lizards everywhere, (i kind of like those little lizards! except of course when they are trying to bunk down in my camper!), my husband was able to spy an illusive armadillo - the little bugger was deep in the brush by the time DS and I got up there though. I hope to spy one on our next stay), and i saw one of the BEST varieties of snakes (DEAD!!!!)

The BEST suggestion i got from here was to take along the bikes. We truly enjoyed having them and they added to the overall feel of the campground for us. It was a bit of a drag riding them in the rain or late at night after your were dead tired from "parking" it all day (or a dreaded combo of the two) but it was worth it just to hear that lovely piped in music on the trail leading to and from the Settlement area.

The second best suggestion was to take time to enjoy the campground. we took two days from our 10 to explore and partisipate in the unique things at FW and just to see all there was to be seen. We split the days up thru our stay and this provided some much needed down time from the parks.(and much needed time off my aching piggies! thank God for moleskin!!!!) Some of the BEST CM's at Disney are at FW. So laid back, friendly and pleasant.
Ken at the trails end is probably the most genuinely pleasant person i have ever met. (that may have been why we tipped him 40%)

One question i have....what is the name of the area at the end of the Swamp trail where the small cabin and such is. (this area was also used for the school house of Ichabod Krain (sp?) on the haunted hay ride) I strolled back that way during the day to find a quiet oasis on the shore of Bay Lake. There were rows of benches there. Are there activities there?

I am still on my vacation high and can't wait to share by answering any questions for those planning a trip to FW.

thanks again - lori

Someone has been bitten by the FW Bug!!!!!!!!!!!
They are doomed forever to camp,they have the fever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You shall return!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never to camp anywhere else agian!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you had a great time..............
Anything new happen at FW fill us in.

The crowds at the parks weren't too bad. This was only our second Disney trip (our first was last year in late Sept.), but compaired to last year it was a bit more crowded. We made special effort to avoid all parks on Saterday (That was opening day of the F&W festival at Epcot) and go on what should be each parks "slow" days. Not much more than a 20 min wait for anything, and if there was we used FastPass.

The Halloween Party was a bit crowded (we went the first night), but as predicted on these lovely boards - it cleared out after 10 and then we practicly had the park to ourselves. Great Party! I would recomend it to anyone. The fireworks gave me goosebumps! How magical!

The campground was not packed, but quite full, especially on the weekend. It apprently was a three day weekend for the school kids in FL. We were overrun with girl scouts!!!! I much prefered what i considered "My Fort" on the weekdays, especailly on the days we opted not to do parks.....it was so peacefull after everyone else headed off for the day. Just us and the peacocks.

You are so right We4mickey!!! I will have to make special effort to not try to compair other camping destinations to FW, or i won't be going camping much at all. You are also right about the going back thing. We are so hooked on WDW. We even played with the idea of the Vacation Club, but may not go that route. I love looking at and eating at the other resorts, but I wouldn't be saving any money if i joined and then ended up at the Fort anyway because i love it there. We are planning a family reunion at WDW next Sept and i may be forced to stay at a different resort and i am not pleased. Late Sept would be lovely at FW. I am itching to try out River Country. Here's hoping i can convice my inlaws that FW is a better place to gather the family. (We all have campers too - some are just more spoiled than others and think a vacation has to involve air travel and an overpriced room with a bed that millions of others have slept in. - Go Figure!)

Well, I must float back down to reality now - but i will be day dreaming of you know where!!!

- lori

Hi all..

I have, what is, quite possibly, the dumbest question EVER...But...

What is / are "Moleskin"?

Loved reading our posts, we're off to FW Dec 22..

Thanks...

Graham

Hi! Welcome back! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time!

We love Ken too - he's been there for YEARS! He's so friendly and willing to help out and answer questions, etc.

I'm not sure what that area by the swamp is called, but one year they were filming "Thunder in Paradise" there with Hulk Hogan, and we sat and watched them for awhile! I don't think they do any official things there anymore. Maybe it's something for the CM's....

Glad you're back! :D

Moleskin is a foot care product. It is adhesive on one side and the other is soft and felt like. When you start getting a "hot Spot" or sore spot (before it turns into a blister) you stick some of that stuff on, put your sock back on and shoe up. It will keep whatever is rubbing and causing the irritation from rubbing your skin and prevent a blister that could ruin your trip. It comes off ealily at the end of the day. It holds up much better than the old bandaid on your blister trick, much more cushioning and durable. You can buy it in the footcare section of any pharmacy or drug store (we have it in the food stores here in the health care section) Dr. Scholes (SP?) makes it as well as several "generic" brands.

I learned about it on these boards and it saved my tootsies two years in a row. Even my old reliable broken in sneakers started rubbing after all that walking.

My son was in a body cast this summer and the hospital gave us sheets and sheets of it to keep his cast from rubbing at the various openings. I have enough moleskin to last me a lifetime!

- lori

Hi Lori&Matt,

Glad to read that ya'll had a good time! <BG> I also appreciated hearing about what tips you found from us were the most helpful. Did you and your family get to ride your bikes on the jogging trail over to the Wilderness Lodge? If not, it's a great place to see deer and the other animals too, plus you can dine at the restaurants over there and we especially enjoy their pool bar during the day!

The area you are asking about with cabin and the picnic tables are for the girl/cub scouts and youth groups. They have a great trail that leads around a portion of the lake all on a board walk that is fun to do doing the day. They also have marked off for the scouts other trails that lead way back into the woods that are marked (at times)only with a pink plastic bow. I am sure they give these guys a map, becuase the trails aren't marked very clearly and one could easily lose their way back there. As much as I go to FW, I have yet to see a meeting going on, but maybe they have most of their meetings at dusk so they can light a camp fire or something.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us...I can't wait for my next trip-Thanksgiving week!!!

Mmketeer

We did ride our bikes on the trail that leads to WL and loved hanging at the pool/bar area. (we got to tour the new villas there as well because we wanted some info on the vacation club. Nice digs, but no FW!!)

I didn't do near as much "little hidden trail" exploring as we would have liked. Next trip i have plans to pack a picnic lunch, ride our bikes over to the cabin, have a little grub by the lake and check out some of those trails. I wonder if a CM has maps for those with special pointers as to what to look for. My son would get a big charge out of that adventure. (He loved hidden mickey hunting at AKL!)

Just talked to a local from the Disney area and he said that the weather was unseasonalby warm during parts of my visit. I'll have to keep that in mind when planning my next FW stay. We liked the weather this time around, but if it is ususlly cooler i may opt for late Sept. Last year was still quite warm in late Sept. I want to swim more next time.

- lori
(i have to go home now and put together my vacation photo album. My one of my fav-o-rite photos......the white peacock that almost made me wreck my bike!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter