Age married?

How old were you when you first got married?

• teen under 18

• teen 18 or up

• 20-22

• 23-25

• 27-29

• 30-34

• 35-39

• 40-44

• 45-50

• over 50

• never married

Results are only viewable after voting.
My DH was 31 and I was 29 when we married. We only dated 8 months before he proposed! It was the perfect age for me because I felt like I was able to do all the things I wanted as a single person before we married. The only down side might be that I felt that my window to have kids was definitely small. We will celebrate 18 years in July. I love him even more now!!!:love:

I got married in 1982 when I was 24 years old. I'd known my husband since I was 19, and we lived together since we were 21. We pretty much knew what we were doing in getting married. LOL!

Anyway, we are still married, and it will be 32 years this summer (that is so hard to believe!). It seems more like 10 years than 32.

I was a month shy of 30 and dh was 23:scared1: yup, you read that right:rotfl:

we had dated for 2 1/2 years, and will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary in a couple of years.

We got married in 2002; I was 24, he was 23, we'll be married 12 years in June. We actually met for the first time in 7th/8th grade at show choir auditions. We went to a few dances together in 11th/12th grade, and officially started dating three years after that. We moved a little slow, LOL!

We both worked at a grocery store in our neighborhood, and through that job is how we ended up dating. He asked me out for the first time near the stores deli, and that's exactly where he proposed to me two years later!

I got married on my 23rd birthday. I did not intentionally pick our wedding date because it was birthday. Due to deployments and other military commitments, it just turned out to be the best date. My baby of a husband was 20. We have been blissfully happily married for almost 18 years. I had finished college and my DH had already been in the military for 3 years, so we did not feel young. We didn't really wait long to have children either. Well, the first one anyway. Our DS was born 17 months later. Took another 6 years for my DD. Wouldn't change a darn thing! :goodvibes

I was 25 and DH was 23 when we married 37 years ago. So far so good!

Interestingly my mother was 5 years older than her DH. I'm 2 years older than mine. And DD1 is 2 years older than hers. Marrying younger men seems to be genetic in our family. :lovestruc

Only my sister married someone older than herself. Twice. Ended up divorced both times.

I was 21, DH was almost 30. I have been married for 26 years. I think the age I got married was fine at the time. I now look at my 24 year old son and think, gosh I was such a youngin!

Higher education and personal pursuits were not something that were part of my upbringing and really were not on my radar which is one of the reasons I think I was just fine getting married so young. I had first kid at 23, second kid at 33.

I do know that I am raising my kids very differently. We encourage advanced education and personal pursuits before settling down into marriage and family planning. What my kids choose to do is up to them but I do feel we have let them know that they have lots and lots of options and that options are a good thing.

My DH and I met in high school (both 17) went college together, got engaged during our last semester. We had a long engagement and were both 25 when we got married. We celebrate 15 years this summer. :)

You don't have a 'none of the above' option (look carefully at the age ranges) ;)

I was 26, DH was 34. We met in grad school, and we were the first of my circle of friends to get married....have kids....etc. Looking at this poll, I guess we must have been late bloomers!

YIKES! That should have been 26 to 29, not 27. I can't figure out how to change it:confused3
No I don't mind, my parents didn't know we were dating then my dad put a stop to it for awhile, then our dates became DH sitting on our couch with me for a long while.

My parents were very unhappy, but they already knew him and his personality (very shy quiet, respectful guy). Right before my dad died over 6 years ago he told me that he grew to love my DH as a son and I picked a good guy.

DH and I talk about it if our dd19 or dd16 brought home a guy that much older we would go through the roof:rotfl2: luckily they are both dating guys a year older right now.

I did come to find out that my maternal grandparents had the same exact age difference between them, but my grandmother was only 17 when they got married.

Thanks for sharing. I always wonder when the gap was there with a teen involved. My aunt who married really young (right after her 14th birthday) is still married to my uncle and very happy but can't believe her parents signed for her to be allowed to marry him (meanwhile, he was 21 and my grandparents had kicked him out of the house when he refused to quit dating her; they liked her but felt she was too young and it was not fair to her).

I was 17 and my husband was 20. We were high school sweethearts and had dated a number of years. We had a "shotgun" wedding with our darling daughter arriving later the same year. Nobody thought our marriage would last. We will celebrate our 44th wedding anniversary this summer.

Congratulations on beating the odds.

We were both 24 when we married, which was a.very nice thing for us. We were both graduating with our second degrees and ready to leave the college environment for greener pastures. It took us a while to have kids but by the time I was 40 we had 3.

We were both 23, high school sweethearts. We were the first of our friends to get married, and among the first group to start having kids. We have been married 5 years.

Can't vote, but enjoying this thread.

I was 26 and my DW was 29. We had our DS 15 months later. Getting ready to celebrate 25 years of marriage this year!

I got married at 27, my DH was 31. We started dating in 2006 (I was 22) and moved in together in 2007. We were engaged in 2009 and married in 2011. We knew we were getting married long before we actually did but we bought a couple of condos before buying a ring and planning our wedding. Also we paid for our (Disney!) wedding ourselves, so we took some time to save up some of the money.

Almost 3 years married, almost 8 together, and I still wake up every single day feeling blessed to have found my forever love at such a young age.

He was smart, my first birthday that we were together he took me to Disney! :)

I was married 5 days before I turned 21 and my dh was 23. We began dating when I was 15 and he 18. We will be married 22 years this spring and have really be together for a total of 27 years this month.

I look at my 19 year old son and think to myself please wait to get married until your in your late 20's, please, please, please. I want my kids to have more life experience than I did. That would be my only regret - I was always in a hurry for the next step.

19....too young. But with a LOT of hard work and some good luck, we're still together, 16 years later. And happier than ever.

married at 19.

That was too young - we have changed alot. We are still married (30 years!) but it's tons of work since we are so different.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone get married that young.

I'm another one with a large age gap - I was just shy of 20, he was just shy of 32. I don't really remember the OP's original questions, so I'll just answer more about us - both of us have college degrees (he has two), first (and only) marriage for both of us, waited 5 years to start our family, have 4 kids now and will celebrate our 15th anniversary in July.

Would I recommend that young for others? I don't know - for me it was the right decision, but probably not for many. And I have no idea how I'd react if my children came home with somebody that much older! My dad was not thrilled at first, but came around quickly. The rest of my family was great & very supportive, especially my grandparents! My best friend actually had the biggest issue with it.

I love seeing so many people celebrating anniversaries that are up there in years!

The average age of marrying in the U.S. today is 27 years old for women. This DISboards has very different skew, with most people being under 25. That means most of us are older -- today, almost everyone, even those who got married young themselves, encourage their kids to wait.

I was 19 and my husband was 20. We've been married for 23 years. We chose not to have children.

We finished college as a married couple and on time (adding in a few semesters for changes in major). For our 20th anniversary, one weekend we roamed around Oklahoma to all the towns and homes where we had lived, and even walked through our former "married student housing" apartment. The two-story apartment building was in the process of being demolished by the school, and we walked through it to sightsee. It was a unique and surreal experience.

While the choice was great for us, I wouldn't recommend it for most people in this day and age. We'd been together for 3 years before getting married, and we were both always mature for our age.

Both of our sets of parents were first marriages and they are still married to each other.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter