Status
Not open for further replies.
Love that pic. This expansion just dwarfs the rest of the park

The problem is, even with the distorted perspective, all of this expansion only creates a small increase in capacity for the park. Four rides, two restaurants and a couple of gift shops. Very disappointing for the size of the addition, and the potential for what could have been done.

The problem is, even with the distorted perspective, all of this expansion only creates a small increase in capacity for the park. Four rides, two restaurants and a couple of gift shops. Very disappointing for the size of the addition, and the potential for what could have been done.

FOUR rides, two restaurants, and incredible immersive theming, yet complaints. This is why, while Disney deserves its share of criticism in many aspects, it can in fact never win with many folks.

I'd rather that they do large expansions and have a good amount of ride/shops etc rather than cramming so much into these spaces that they aren't enjoyable.

Going by Pandora it seems Disney firmly believes that these immersive lands should go with the 2 rides/ shop and restaurant combo.

Isn't four rides an 80% increase over the present situation and a 66% increase over the previous?

I think that the underlying problem is the approach to the fully immersive lands with some sort of unifying cohesiveness. With these new lands like Pandora and Star Wars, they are trying to make them as "real" as possible. That is one reason why there is no exposed coaster in Pandora as it wouldn't lend itself to the "reality" that the Imagineers are attempting to create. On the actual Pandoran moon, there wouldn't be a roller coaster, or for that matter a spinner ride. Also, that is why I think that there is an exposed coaster in the Toy Story Land expansion. If the rides are supposed to be toys that Andy is playing with in his backyard, an exposed coaster fits that theme nicely.

Having been to Pandora already, the land, rides, QS...everything is made to appear as realistic as possible, as well as making certain that if fits into the narrative of the land itself. I contrast it to the MK, where a different approach to themed entertainment is followed. The different lands have a theme, no doubt, but the approach is different. In FL, you have Peter Pan next to IASM, next to 7DMT, next to Pooh, etc. The rides themselves are aligned with the theme of fantasy, but it is still a bunch of rides lined up next to each other. In Pandora, each experience is woven into a single tapestry that presents a very unified experience.

Pandora, and what will be Star Wars Land, are totally different approaches as opposed to the MK. That is why I believe that there is a reduction in rides, with much more budget being given to the fewer rides that inhabit the land to make them as "real" as possible. But the remainder of the money will be poured into outrageously themed environments, including the food and merchandise areas. I find that the concept of more rides in a given space has been abandoned for less rides that will allow for a more overall immersive atmosphere. I think that there are park visitors these days that enjoy walking through just the land of Pandora and taking it all in, at their pace. Today's guests love taking selfies, or photos of the land, the food, the streetmosphere and posting to every form of social media out there. So much so that things like the "mossy wall" in Pandora is now a "thing" for people to do; it cost Disney literally nothing to create, but it is now something that guests seek out. We are now helping define experiences in theme parks that weren't necessarily in the minds of those that created the lands in the first place.

Shall put this down as another sign they are chasing higher end conferences for Coronado with building a place at ESPN to accommodate all the youth sports conventions?
No not sports conventions. That building is mainly for cheer and dance competitions.

I think that the underlying problem is the approach to the fully immersive lands with some sort of unifying cohesiveness. With these new lands like Pandora and Star Wars, they are trying to make them as "real" as possible. That is one reason why there is no exposed coaster in Pandora as it wouldn't lend itself to the "reality" that the Imagineers are attempting to create. On the actual Pandoran moon, there wouldn't be a roller coaster, or for that matter a spinner ride. Also, that is why I think that there is an exposed coaster in the Toy Story Land expansion. If the rides are supposed to be toys that Andy is playing with in his backyard, an exposed coaster fits that theme nicely.

Having been to Pandora already, the land, rides, QS...everything is made to appear as realistic as possible, as well as making certain that if fits into the narrative of the land itself. I contrast it to the MK, where a different approach to themed entertainment is followed. The different lands have a theme, no doubt, but the approach is different. In FL, you have Peter Pan next to IASM, next to 7DMT, next to Pooh, etc. The rides themselves are aligned with the theme of fantasy, but it is still a bunch of rides lined up next to each other. In Pandora, each experience is woven into a single tapestry that presents a very unified experience.

Pandora, and what will be Star Wars Land, are totally different approaches as opposed to the MK. That is why I believe that there is a reduction in rides, with much more budget being given to the fewer rides that inhabit the land to make them as "real" as possible. But the remainder of the money will be poured into outrageously themed environments, including the food and merchandise areas. I find that the concept of more rides in a given space has been abandoned for less rides that will allow for a more overall immersive atmosphere. I think that there are park visitors these days that enjoy walking through just the land of Pandora and taking it all in, at their pace. Today's guests love taking selfies, or photos of the land, the food, the streetmosphere and posting to every form of social media out there. So much so that things like the "mossy wall" in Pandora is now a "thing" for people to do; it cost Disney literally nothing to create, but it is now something that guests seek out. We are now helping define experiences in theme parks that weren't necessarily in the minds of those that created the lands in the first place.
Well said...and in looking at HP at UO, IoA got 1 1/2 new rides (+2 that were there already) with that land and Uni got 1 1/2 rides with Diagon Alley. So an immersive land does not need as many rides if the land has other immersive activities like shopping, eating, interaction, and photo opportunities.

saw on the rumor thread which was ported from the main star wards thread:

"Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away will be dark through June 15, returning on June 16. When it returns, it will use new mobile performance stages for the performance of the show. The stages will be put in place each morning and removed from the park after the final performance of Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away each evening. This will allow more space for guests to view both projection shows."

Ha! I was the one that put it on the News Roundup thread because I asked the question over in the Star Wars thread.

But I appreciate the follow-up. :thumbsup2 Sometimes questions get overlooked or never answered.

FOUR rides, two restaurants, and incredible immersive theming, yet complaints. This is why, while Disney deserves its share of criticism in many aspects, it can in fact never win with many folks.

The addition of four rides brings the grand total of attractions in DHS to 17, in two years! How does that compare with MK's 42, Epcot's 38-ish and DAK's 41 attractions? That's according to Disney's own website. You don't really deserve positive kudo for finally bringing one park to almost half of the each of the others. They are way behind in maintaining DHS, and way behind in maintaining quality in EPCOT or even providing enough attractions for the massive capacity that it can handle based on space.

Slinky Dog looks higher and more fun than I was imagining before. Any rumor yet in what the height limit might be?

Slinky coaster looks fun, I hope they do some theming on the ride itself like splash mountain or so.
The big difference is it's more open under the track, at least at this moment. It allow you to get a good feel for the altitude change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter