[ADVISORY] WDW - MagicBand-Only Testing Begins at Disney's Pop Century Resort

They probably won't do anything during such a peak week. They will probably collect this data and pick a new resort and a new week sometime in December.

That's the part that worries me. :p

You most definitely can Opt out, it's a legality, look it up you cannot force a consumer to partake in a beta, alpha, or any sort of testing.
Fine - you can opt out of a "beta" or whatever you want to call it.

But if you are staying at POP 11/14-11/19 and opt-out of the band you will get a KTTW card that does the exact same thing a band does. So you are not opting out of anything.

So don't tell people they can opt out of this.

If people are going to POP in the next few days they need to know that they are getting bands or band equivalents and need to be prepared for that reality.

We check in on Thursday and, even if we could, we wouldn't switch resorts.

:confused3 I just don't understand all the fuss. Disney is keeping up with technology, which is a good thing. Sure there will be (and already are) glitches. But if they stayed static, that would be detrimental to them eventually. Of course DW will never be financially hurting tor lose fans because, well, who DOESN'T love Disney?! But still, they have to keep up with or ahead of the times. And that's all they're doing.

I for sure understand people's frustrations, though. I guess I'm just of the mind that, hey, I'm in DISNEYWORLD. How much better could life get?!

:wizard::cloud9:

:thumbsup2

You most definitely can Opt out, it's a legality, look it up you cannot force a consumer to partake in a beta, alpha, or any sort of testing.

Can you quote the law? I would be interested since the only difference between this "test" and what is available today is the option to pull paper fastpasses. That's it. Given your original suggestion, that would mean that paper fastpasses have monetary value. Last I checked, they didn't.

Fine - you can opt out of a "beta" or whatever you want to call it.

But if you are staying at POP 11/14-11/19 and opt-out of the band you will get a KTTW card that does the exact same thing a band does. So you are not opting out of anything.

So don't tell people they can opt out of this.

If people are going to POP in the next few days they need to know that they are getting bands or band equivalents and need to be prepared for that reality.

You can opt out of the Magic Bands, but you cannot opt out of MyMagic+. This had to happen at some point. FP- is going away. There is no need to get overworked about it. (Not you matthewhavens...just a general statement directed to no one in particular. :) )

We check in on Thursday and, even if we could, we wouldn't switch resorts.

:confused3 I just don't understand all the fuss. Disney is keeping up with technology, which is a good thing. Sure there will be (and already are) glitches. But if they stayed static, that would be detrimental to them eventually. Of course DW will never be financially hurting tor lose fans because, well, who DOESN'T love Disney?! But still, they have to keep up with or ahead of the times. And that's all they're doing.

I for sure understand people's frustrations, though. I guess I'm just of the mind that, hey, I'm in DISNEYWORLD. How much better could life get?!

:wizard::cloud9:

:thumbsup2pixiedust:

To stay on-site. Kills APs bonus of park hopping as well ad regular park hoppers. Why not be given the choice for which you want to do.

Thankfully iur son is growing up and we have only two more sets of APs to use.

The only reason we wanted FP+ this trip is it is for Thanksgiving and the crowds will be very high. Looking like we will not be staying on-site for future trips.

Guess that will save us $ in the long run.

They are referring to the testing card. Opting out of the test would deem you the traditional KTTW card.

The FAQ didn't say the traditional wouldn't work but didn't say it would either as far a fp- is concerned. If planning this route I would definitely check with Disney.

Hmm. We check in at POP on Friday. I am figuring this all out.

One thing I'm sorting out in my head is regular FP(i'm guessing that's what all of you mean when you say FP-) vs FP+. We have not made any FP+ selections because we will be purchasing military tickets when we get there(we prefer not to drive all the way across Georgia to buy them) so we haven't linked tickets.

What I'm sorting out is this-my husband, who will be in Orlando for a national sales mtg and staying at the Peabody, plans to join us for the weekend days, but since he wont be on property I'm trying to figure out how, if he's with us, he can have a FP at the same time as us. It puts some people at a real disadvantage. Like if you are staying on property and you have family in Orlando who won't be in a room. You won't be getting any FP together.

This could be a mess. :worried:
You need to be prepared for the reality that those of you staying at Pop will have no access to "regular" FP.

You need to either get online now or make FP+ selections once you have purchased and linked your tickets to your bands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM1001 View Post
I'm somewhat confused,I have an AP that expires Jan 3rd,I pay it monthly and will renew it before my Dec 13th visit.I'm staying at Pop Century for the marathon January 10th.I go on the website and it shows I can customize the magic bands up until a month before my trip.I have my APs linked to my reservation and magic bands order.I can't make FP+ reservations for my January trip I'm assuming because by then the pass has expired.I'm confused,am I going to get a magic band with my AP info on it that I can use at the parks and at Pop for my stay.Will the magic band only be for entry to my hotel room and I'll get another RFID card for my AP when I renew it.And if the pass will be linked to my AP can I just keep the magic band as my AP even though I'm getting it for my stay?????

I'm not sure what will happen with you, but will share what happened with us.
We are AP passholders. We stayed at BWV in early October for 4 days and got wrist bands. We linked our AP's linked to the wristband. DH AP expires in Dec. We have been back to WDW 2 different weekends after we checked out of BWV and the wristband still works to enter the park AND to do FP+ even though we are not resort guests anymore. In November, I got a new AP and they linked it to the wristband (Because my other AP had expired) even though I was no longer a resort guest. I was again able to do FP+.

Hopefully, when you renew your AP on 12/13, they will be able to link that new AP to your reservation and wristband.
Good luck!

You can opt out of the Magic Bands, but you cannot opt out of MyMagic+. This had to happen at some point. FP- is going away. There is no need to get overworked about it. (Not you matthewhavens...just a general statement directed to no one in particular. :) )
No offense taken. I just see people with trips to Pop in the next couple days coming here for information. When I see misinformation, I try to correct it.

If you read the FAQ and supporting information from other reliable sites closely you see that there is no opt out.

If you decline the band you get an RFID KTTW card that will not pull FP-.

Personally, I arrive on property with my family in 19 days. A trip I spent 6 months planning. All my FP+ is set up for attractions with no FP- equivalent with the understanding (and assurances from multiple CMs) that I can pull FP- to supplement FP+.

If I had no FP- access, I would change 2/3 of my FP+ right now.

If I was checking in at Pop this weekend I would want to know the truth. Not everyone has to use that information the same way, but everyone is entitled to know what to expect when they arrive.

Can you quote the law? I would be interested since the only difference between this "test" and what is available today is the option to pull paper fastpasses. That's it. Given your original suggestion, that would mean that paper fastpasses have monetary value. Last I checked, they didn't.

I was more regarding the cost of room and tickets..
The FDCC requires that anything/service must be 100% passed through regulated testing and deemed fit for release before accepting finances for said property or services.
This is one little bit of info I DO know about, because my job involves testing of services.

If indeed they only offer you only the RFID option of the card which at this moment is not recognized by the FDCC as final product, ramifications could ensue.
I agree with another poster, I'd contact disney.

matthewhavens said:
No offense taken. I just see people with trips to Pop in the next couple days coming here for information. When I see misinformation, I try to correct it.

If you read the FAQ and supporting information from other reliable sites closely you see that there is no opt out.

If you decline the band you get an RFID KTTW card that will not pull FP-.

Personally, I arrive on property with my family in 19 days. A trip I spent 6 months planning. All my FP+ is set up for attractions with no FP- equivalent with the understanding (and assurances from multiple CMs) that I can pull FP- to supplement FP+.

If I had no FP- access, I would change 2/3 of my FP+ right now.

If I was checking in at Pop this weekend I would want to know the truth. Not everyone has to use that information the same way, but everyone is entitled to know what to expect when they arrive.

I arrive Friday I have my FP+ scheduled but since I'm only there 3 days I was hoping for fp- to help me do what I want to get in. I knew it would eventually be going away but an email to advise would have been nice. We shall see how this plays out.

I wonder what happens if you have Undercover Tourist tickets linked to MDE? Think the actual tickets themselves would still pull paper fastpasses as part of this test???

I'm guessing they would work only if you used the physical ticket for admission. And if you didn't used the magic band or RFID card for admission, would your FP+ still work?

As I said in another thread, we made our FP+ selections on the *assumption* that we wouldn't be able to pull paper FP. This way, there's nothing to be disappointed in. If the test extends to Movies, we're ready, willing, and able to try it out as it's probably been intended all along.

It's not the end of the world. 10,000 people are dead in the Philippines. 3 FP selections a day is no big deal.

I arrive Friday I have my FP+ scheduled but since I'm only there 3 days I was hoping for fp- to help me do what I want to get in. I knew it would eventually be going away but an email to advise would have been nice. We shall see how this plays out.

I mentioned this in reply to someone earlier in the thread, but here's what I would do if I were checking into POP in the next few days and wanted to use FP-:

In a nice, calm way, I would tell the person at the desk that it was my understanding that I would be able to use a MB to get FP+ AND that I would get a KTTW card that I could use for FP-.

If they tell me (as I would expect) that they aren't doing that any more, I would say that I think it is unfair that we are getting less in FP opportunities than guests at other resorts who are getting both FP+ and ability to pull FP-.

If they tell me that there is nothing they can do about it, I would ask to talk to a manager and express my concern. If they also don't offer anything, I would let them know that I will be registering a complaint when I get home.

I would not be surprised if, notwithstanding the official policy, they will be willing and able to offer something to guests who are aware of the current state of the test, and that POP guests are getting less than other resort guests. Because the vast majority of guests will be oblivious to what's going on, or will be unwilling to complain, it won't affect the test too much if they accommodate the few customers who do complain by giving them cards that can be used in FP- machines or something else (like a few general FPs to use anywhere during your stay). My attitude about these things is that it can't hurt to ask.

As an example of what they might be willing to do despite what the official policy is, last week we were at POP staying with a CM daughter who cannot get FP+ because her cast member ticket can't be linked to her MB. When I asked, they directed us to the concierge, where they were willing to set up FP+ on our daughter's band for the same attractions and times as my wife and I had. Because the person at the desk would have had to do everything himself, and I wasn't sure we would be needing the FP+ anyway because of the low crowds (we didn't) I told him not to bother. But, I appreciated the fact that they were willing to try to accommodate us.

I'll be interested to hear if anyone has any luck doing this.

This can't possibly end poorly.~

Nicely done. :thumbsup2

Guess who has a one-night stay at Pop this weekend and no tickets yet, a.k.a. no FP access and no advance FP+ access? Yippee.

Luckily I possess enough knowledge and a will to use it for my own nefarious theme park enjoyment purposes.

As I said in another thread, we made our FP+ selections on the *assumption* that we wouldn't be able to pull paper FP. This way, there's nothing to be disappointed in. If the test extends to Movies, we're ready, willing, and able to try it out as it's probably been intended all along.

I have made the same assumption for our trip between Xmas and NY. We have never used FP- that much in the first place, especially at busy times, so I'm happier with the 3 FP+ to use in the evenings. But, I understand that not everyone feels that way about it.

I was more regarding the cost of room and tickets..
The FDCC requires that anything/service must be 100% passed through regulated testing and deemed fit for release before accepting finances for said property or services.
This is one little bit of info I DO know about, because my job involves testing of services.

If indeed they only offer you only the RFID option of the card which at this moment is not recognized by the FDCC as final product, ramifications could ensue.
I agree with another poster, I'd contact disney.

Who or what is the FDCC? I don't believe there is any government agency by those initials. And I don't understand what the RFID card has to do with a "final product" in this case. It works to let you in your room, which is the only thing it is REQUIRED to do as far as I know. Everything else is an added benefit. Old Fastpass isn't even a feature of staying at a resort so it could be argued that you aren't paying for it in that way.

If you really want to opt out - buy tickets separately and do not have them placed on the KTTW cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter