Adults comfy on pullouts in ASMu Family Suite?

crusoe2

DIS Veteran
We keep wanting to try the suites at ASMu but always back out because we're afraid DS will not be comfortable sleeping on one of the pullouts. He's a big guy - not just tall, but heavy also. He usually sleeps curled on his side so I'm not so much worried about the bed not being long enough. I'm afraid the mattress won't be thick enough and he'll feel bars or parts of the frame and be uncomfortable. Anyone had a larger family member sleep on one of these and can comment on how comfy they were? We were also wondering if it would work to put something like a foam pad (the kind you use for camping maybe) between the mattress and frame. If memory serves, the design of the pullouts is unusual tho so would that even be possible?

DH slept on the pullout one night at Bay Lake Tower and he said it was not comfortable at all.

I had slept on one at BW and for 1-2 nights it was fine but by the 3rd night my back was rebelling. But I have read that others had no problems, it really is a personal preference. What may be uncomfortable for me may be okay for you.

DH slept on the one in ASMu one night (DS fell asleep in our bed and for some reason, we didn't want to move him). He said it was bad. He felt the bars. I slept on the chair pullout and it was also not comfortable. The others nights, we learned our lesson and moved DS to the chair pullout. He slept fine, but was 5 at the time.

Haven't stayed at ASMu, but I've slept on the pullout at Saratoga Springs and it wasn't comfortable. I slept because I was tired, however. I would say it is tolerable if you aren't picky about the comfort of your bed. For any adults that really care about comfort, I'd pick a resort that has real beds.

We have stayed at ASMu family suites and the adults found the pull outs to be very uncomfortable. I can't say that I would recommend them. We also have stayed in the family suites at AoA, and I thought that the pull down table bed was much more comfortable. No adults tried the pull out there. The kids seemed fine on the pull outs in both.

I found the couch one at ASMu very comfortable. I slept on it for a week with one of my nieces.

To the poster who said their husband felt bars on it, that is impossible, unless it was the ones around the edge. Disney had the couch pull outs designed with no bars running under you. But if you are really tall you can hit the ones that make up the frame. If something under his back was bugging your husband, it wasn't bars. Maybe the couch was worn and needed replacing.

I slept on the pull out at AoA for a week--never again!! I had to sleep almost sideways just to find a tolerable spot. To previous poster--I too felt like there were bars that were causing the discomfort.

I found the couch one at ASMu very comfortable. I slept on it for a week with one of my nieces.

To the poster who said their husband felt bars on it, that is impossible, unless it was the ones around the edge. Disney had the couch pull outs designed with no bars running under you. But if you are really tall you can hit the ones that make up the frame. If something under his back was bugging your husband, it wasn't bars. Maybe the couch was worn and needed replacing.

I slept on the pull out at AoA for a week--never again!! I had to sleep almost sideways just to find a tolerable spot. To previous poster--I too felt like there were bars that were causing the discomfort.

Maybe they weren't bars per se, but my husband felt something. The support system that the mattress sits on? It's not floating in air!:rotfl2:

Okay - so are you talking about the pull-out sofa bed - or the table bed in the AoA suite? Those are two very different beasts.

The pull-out sofa is OKAY. Not bad for a sleeper sofa in general - but the mattress is not that thick and I'd not want to sleep on it for more than a couple of nights.

The TABLE BED - on the other hand - I find very comfortable. It's a double bed size - so it's not long - but it's a thicker mattress and because its on one solid piece of wood - its like having a mattress on a piece of wood. The mattress is probably 10 inches thick - not just 3-4 like on a fold-up bed. I have slept on it for a week and been fine. It's not quite as soft as I like - but it wasn't super hard, either.

I am a pooh sized lady and I am uncomfortable on anything but a real bed. I have tried out some of these 'makeshift' beds at WDW and not been comfortable even for a brief lie down. (However, between my back and knee issues, it could be that I am more particular than most.)

I admit that i am amazed at how many people are willing to pay WDW resort prices and not even get a real bed to sleep upon. Having a real bed for everyone is priority number one for us when choosing a resort/room category. It is why we haven't bought DVC.

Thank you all so much for your input. It has given me a lot to think about. At the moment, I'm thinking we may just book two preferred rooms at a value resort and make our one and only room request be for rooms next to each other with the connecting door between. I know that is just a request and not guaranteed. But maybe if it's our only request we'll get lucky. And if we don't get it, we'll put guys in one room and girls in the other and make the best of it. If both the rooms are preferred, worst case scenario is they will be in different buildings but should at least be in buildings near each other. Most importantly, everyone will have a comfy bed and room to stretch out. I hate to give up the certainty that we will be together - especially since we are thinking about going at Christmas. And the kitchenette sure would have been nice. But, hey, we'll be at Disney.:)

Thank you all so much for your input. It has given me a lot to think about. At the moment, I'm thinking we may just book two preferred rooms at a value resort and make our one and only room request be for rooms next to each other with the connecting door between. I know that is just a request and not guaranteed. But maybe if it's our only request we'll get lucky. And if we don't get it, we'll put guys in one room and girls in the other and make the best of it. If both the rooms are preferred, worst case scenario is they will be in different buildings but should at least be in buildings near each other. Most importantly, everyone will have a comfy bed and room to stretch out. I hate to give up the certainty that we will be together - especially since we are thinking about going at Christmas. And the kitchenette sure would have been nice. But, hey, we'll be at Disney.:)
What is the size/sex/ages of your party? Folks might be able to suggest an option you haven't thought of.

I ask - because - I'll be honest - I find the table bed at AoA better than the beds at values...... so - it is each to their own bed preferences in some ways. But the pull-out at AoA - fine for kids for a week, or a single adult for a couple of days.

What is the size/sex/ages of your party? Folks might be able to suggest an option you haven't thought of.

I ask - because - I'll be honest - I find the table bed at AoA better than the beds at values...... so - it is each to their own bed preferences in some ways. But the pull-out at AoA - fine for kids for a week, or a single adult for a couple of days.

There are only 4 of us. But we have a 25yo DS and 14yo DD who don't want to share a bed. And DH is insisting on accommodations with 2 bathrooms. I think our budget is only going to go as far as 2 rooms or a family suite at one of the values. Maybe 2 rooms at a moderate if there is a good discount or free dining. We have discussed renting points at a DVC but, for various reasons, there is a possibility of having to cancel the trip. So booking thru Disney reservations with their cancellation policy is best for us.

Ugh - I get your dilemma now - at those ages - and insisting on 2 bathrooms.....

Two value rooms will probably be your cheapest option.

AoA suites would work - but you'd need the 14 DD to not be too picky about the pull-out sofa bed. That's about the age where quality of bed might start to kick in.

If you didn't have to have 2 bathrooms - a single mod with two queens bed would work if you could put mom and daughter in one bed, dad and son in the other. But if either of them are big guys - they may or may not like that.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter