Adult only/solo trip?

Check out the solo/adults only section of the boards, as PPs have said.

I went with my mom last year and am so glad I did. We had a blast (even with us choosing the wheelchair over the evc, because we really slowed down and took everything in). And even just a year later, I don't think she'd be up to it now.

That said, I still wanted a solo trip. So I planned one (here now!) but on impulse invited a friend last minute. We're having fun but guess what?

I STILL want a solo trip!!! Guess I'll have to come back next year.

I go solo a lot and most of the trips are 11 nights. I don't get bored or lonely. I enjoy doing Disney my way. It really boils down to how comfortable you are doing things solo in general. If you are the type of person who is comfortable going out to eat or to a movie solo at home, then a solo Disney trip will be fine. Otherwise I would bring your mom and have fun with her.

Thanks so much for all the replies. Its great to hear that other shy introverts feel comfortable on a solo trip. I definitely don't mind being by myself, I actually really like it, but there were a few places I thought it might be awkward. Waiting in long lines and sitting down at TS. I guess no one would really be paying attention to me in line and I could actually relax and look around. At TS restaurants, do you read or do something while waiting for your food?

I was also worried that it would be great for a day and then I'd start to feel lonely or bored or uncomfortable. However, doing a tour would be a good way to break it up. I've always wanted to do the keys to the kingdom tour. I also have a friend to who lives near there. She wouldn't be able to go to the parks with me, but I'm sure we could meet for dinner one night.

I think deep down that's what I really want to do. I know second choice would be to bring my mom (and now I feel a little guilty about not bringing her).

If you've never been to WDW solo before, it will be a bit of a change for you. The first time I did a solo trip, it just felt odd not having someone else with me. But after I got my mindset changed that this was a trip for me and I could do what I want, when I want, it was FANTASTIC!!! I even challenged myself to go to all four parks in one day. And it couldn't just be go the the park, walk in and then walk out. I had to DO something there, like a ride or a show. I had a great time.

I think the fireworks shows were probably the hardest thing for me. I really like to share those with DH as we have lots of sweet memories from those shows.

So, just go into it knowing that you might have a few moments of "I wish my family were with me", but don't dwell on those or get stuck in a rut about them. Get out there and enjoy yourself! Adventure awaits!!! :stitch:

Edit: I forgot to mention, I would try to do 4 days and get a park hopper. Anything less feels too short to me.

I wanted to take an adult girl's trip last year when my friend backed out. I thought, what would I like to do then? Disney?! I saved my money and took myself to Disney for just a few nights. It was so much fun! I cannot wait to do it again.
It's kind of addicting isn't it?!?!?! :) I love going with DH, but I find that I want to do a trip on my own every now and then too.

I went alone last summer for a a few days. I was soo looking forward to going where I wanted, doing what I wanted, walking my own pace, eating whatever I wanted etc etc etc. I did all of those things and it was great but to be honest, I did find myself skipping the rides that were my children's favorites and I did find myself wishing I was experiencing some of the things I did with them. I ended up Facebook living all of the major shows/parades so that my children could watch while I was there. I absolutely loved getting up and heading out with no one to worry about but myself. I never felt awkward being alone sometimes I just felt a little lonely and sad. Something I never, ever expected. I thought for sure I would love the loner, carefree atmosphere for the trip and while I kind of did, sometimes I kinda didn't! It is hard for me to put into words. I am definitely glad I did it but I am not sure how eager I will be to do it again!

I guess no one would really be paying attention to me in line and I could actually relax and look around. At TS restaurants, do you read or do something while waiting for your food?
I find eating at TS restaurants to be the same as waiting in line. No one else really pays attention. Other guests are caught up in their own issues and family dramas. I simply enjoy the food. If you are concerned at all, or this is your first time eating at a table restaurant by yourself, consider bringing a kindle or have some games on your phone. If you are extra worried, consider making your first TS restaurant a good buffet like Boma, Cape May buffet (dinner) or Trails End. You will be up getting your food for much of the time so it will make the time pass more quickly. In the end, just book the TS restaurants that truly interest you (maybe the ones you've always wanted to try but family or friends passed on) and go enjoy.

Waiting in long lines and sitting down at TS. I guess no one would really be paying attention to me in line and I could actually relax and look around. At TS restaurants, do you read or do something while waiting for your food?).

I usually have a book downloaded on my devices or follow social media on my phone, so I use that if I'm sitting in a restaurant and it's a bit of a wait or if I'm in a line. I do have an extra iPod (doubles for an basic camera as well) that I fill up with stuff to stay busy if I have downtime and I don't want to use my cellular data. Also if you are worried about sitting alone ask to sit at the bar. There is usually entertainment there and it can seem less awkward.

I've never gone alone but I would if my family suddenly stop wanting to go. I may feel a little uncomfortable but I am certain that I am the only one who would know I was alone. People are way to busy paying attention to themselves to care much about who's alone and who's not.

I love traveling with friends and family - both to WDW and all over the world. Traveling is my favorite thing to do. I began traveling by myself 40 years ago when i was traveling o business and would take an extra few days to explore a place I could not afford on my own. I find myself talking to a lot more people when I travel alone than with others - and I enjoy that. I take 2 or 3 trips a year to WDW with friends and another with my young granddaughter each year. and I always take at least one trip a year by myself.
I love the solo trips - not so much as I can then do what I want - because making sure my friends or family are having a great time IS what I want on those trips. But what I enjoy most about solo trips is the spontaneity I can indulge in. Last minute decisions to stop here or wander there or enjoy a glass of wine and read my kindle outside of Morocco while I people watch. My last solo trip in May it rained all one day and I stayed in and read a whole book that day feeling lazy and happy. I love the people watching and helping out with moms who have their hands full or couples who would appreciate a photo of them both. I hold doors for strollers and make funny faces at kids and just - wander around sort of floating as I enjoy each moment.... Am 70 this year and still go solo as well as accompanied on both domestic and international trips.

Solo trips are amazing! I've done several to both WDW and DL, usually following business trips, and I love them. You can do whatever you want, and whenever you want! Explore all of those nooks and crannies you don't have time to check out when you have others in tow. One of my favorite things of all time was sitting on the curb waiting for the parade eating an ice cream sundae as dinner.

JUST DOT IT!!! I always do solo trips to DL & WDW...the longest trips I have done at DL or WDW is ten days...now I am over 40 and a guy....so maybe its OK for guys to travel solo...but I have met many solo female travelers on various trips...Disney and elsewhere...so don't worry about other people, do your own thing and you will be so HAPPY you did...

John

Solo trips are amazing! I've done several to both WDW and DL, usually following business trips, and I love them. You can do whatever you want, and whenever you want! Explore all of those nooks and crannies you don't have time to check out when you have others in tow. One of my favorite things of all time was sitting on the curb waiting for the parade eating an ice cream sundae as dinner.

I also indulge in ice cream for dinner on my solo trips. It's fantastic!

One thing that surprised me the most the first time I went solo is how much more I noticed...about everything. I paid a lot more attention to other people and to what was going on around me (which I think is why I was surprised how often I did talk to other guests). When traveling with my kids, I'm so caught up in keeping track of them and making sure they're ok and having fun, that I don't pay attention to others around me. It was kind of refreshing to tour the parks "lighter" and just look around as I went.

Thanks so much for all the replies. Its great to hear that other shy introverts feel comfortable on a solo trip. I definitely don't mind being by myself, I actually really like it, but there were a few places I thought it might be awkward. Waiting in long lines and sitting down at TS. I guess no one would really be paying attention to me in line and I could actually relax and look around. At TS restaurants, do you read or do something while waiting for your food?

I was also worried that it would be great for a day and then I'd start to feel lonely or bored or uncomfortable. However, doing a tour would be a good way to break it up. I've always wanted to do the keys to the kingdom tour. I also have a friend to who lives near there. She wouldn't be able to go to the parks with me, but I'm sure we could meet for dinner one night.

I think deep down that's what I really want to do. I know second choice would be to bring my mom (and now I feel a little guilty about not bringing her).

I didn't do table service on my last solo trip, but I'm definitely booking Homecomin' for myself on my trip this fall. I plan on just having my phone and checking in with my family and catching up on social media while I eat. I'm also going to be there at an off-time (prob around 3 pm), as I think I'd feel more comfortable if the restaurant is not super busy.

I have Never Ever been asked why I am alone by a guest or CM and I would find it rude!
I dined alone one Easter morning. The CM, without inquiring about my solo status, took an inordinate amount of time talking to me and making me feel at home. She must have been with me for six or eight minutes. I was so impressed that she made me the focal point of her morning, my lonely and sad melted away. Disney is a warm blanket, especially for solo travelers.

Once again, who cares what others think. I dine solo, even at home and work sometimes. I look at my phone, but not all the time, but most of the time, I enjoy looking around. Look more closely when you eat out. Solo eaters are not that unusual. I would eat where you want to eat. All walks of life come and go in Disney. All are there to have fun. I hope if you do decide to go solo, you do. While sometimes you wish back home saw what you did or saw, but do not get sad, memories are made alone and with others.

I dined alone one Easter morning. The CM, without inquiring about my solo status, took an inordinate amount of time talking to me and making me feel at home. She must have been with me for six or eight minutes. I was so impressed that she made me the focal point of her morning, my lonely and sad melted away. Disney is a warm blanket, especially for solo travelers.
I would HATE this. I don't eat alone because I'm lonely and sad. I eat alone because I am enjoying a break from everyone and taking time for myself. I want the server to say hi, take my order, bring my food & leave me alone. 6-8 minutes of chit chat sounds like torture and if she didn't take the hint, would have resulted in me requesting a different table.

I can't imagine anyone on these boards, ardent dis'ers, would not want to do a solo trip! It's a Disney dream come true, at least once on a lifetime. Do the parks, resorts, restaurants your way!
I' ve been on three solos and really enjoyed each one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter