• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adult only/solo trip?

Scarlet_J

Mouseketeer
I am curious about some other people's opinions on a trip I'd like to take next year. I'm turning 40 and I'd love to go to Disney without the kids. Just once I'd like to go and do it my way- only have to pack for one person, go on the thrill rides, not have to worry about strollers or deal with whining, have time to actually shop...

Dh likes Disney but I don't think he'd really want to go without the kids. He wouldn't enjoy it like I would.

I thought about taking my mom. I know she's enjoy it and would be happy to do what I wanted. However, she has a bad back and can't do most of the thrill rides. I'd feel bad leaving her all the time.

I've thought about just going by myself. It sounds perfect in theory (do what I want when I want), but I'm afraid I'd get bored. I'm a quiet person and not able to just strike up conversations with strangers. I might just feel awkward the whole time.

Any thoughts? What would you do in my situation?

Lots of us do Solo trips. There is a board here specifically for adults and solos. I find that I enjoy it, though I don't stay as long if I am alone. It is nice to go at your own pace and do what you want to do. There is no need to feel awkward as most people won't even notice you, solo or not. You can always see if you can meet up with some DISers if that suits you as well. Check this section of the boards for lots of discussions about that and solo trips in general.

https://www.disboards.com/forums/disney-for-adults-and-solo-travelers.54/

I just took my first solo trip the first week of May, I have a TR in my signature if you're interested. Photobucket's changes regarding third party hosting messed up my pictures and the first several posts have gray squares instead of photos, but the newer posts have pictures, lol!

It was a great time and if you're going to do a solo trip, I think Disney is the place to try :-):-) If you have any questions for me, just ask and I'll answer as best as I can!

I love adult only trips. My DH likes the parks but loves the resort. Our upcoming trip I'm September is with kiddos but we will be going alone next year. My DH likes more relaxation so doing water parks or resort after sleeping in and parks in the evening. Nice compromise. We dont do all the rides but fastpass our favorites. We also plan on doing some nice signature dinners that we would not have with the kiddo in tow. Would he maybe go for something like that?

If not there are only a few thrill rides so maybe your mom would not feel left out. Or maybe you say hey relax while I hit rope drop and you do your fave thrills and then meet up a little later. Would still give you a little alone time for what you enjoy but lots of time together.

I have thought about solo trips myself but never have done any. I am reserved to think I would be bored because I love experiencing it with someone. But you wont know unless you try.

I'm very shy. The only times I've felt awkward was when explaining to people at home that I was going alone, and when I ate at Biergarten. Since Biergarten seats you with strangers, I was seated with an older couple and a young family. They were all very nice, but it still felt weird, and they asked questions about why I was there alone. Some times a waiter would ask me about it at a TS, but that didn't feel as awkward. When you're walking around and waiting in queue, no one notices you. I thought about lying and telling people that my imaginary "husband" was sick back at the hotel room or playing golf, but I felt weirder doing that than by just being honest. :)

I am doing a solo trip for my 40th this October/November for a week. My mom is not a fan of Disney and my sister and niece could not go with me due to work/school.

So i rented points to stay at BLT, got a 6 day ticket with park hoppers, and the deluxe dining plan. I am going to do what I want to do this trip!! staying where I want to stay. With no one with me I can do things I don't get to do with others and not do things that I am made to do every single trip.

I am very shy. I am also very introverted. But I travel by myself a lot so it really doesn't bother me. I do get lonely but I can chit-chat or make small talk if approached the correct way. I know that sounds odd but that is the only way I can put it.

I can't wait. 108 days until check-in for me!! At this point even if someone wanted to tag along, I don't think I would let them.

I'm very shy. The only times I've felt awkward was when explaining to people at home that I was going alone, and when I ate at Biergarten. Since Biergarten seats you with strangers, I was seated with an older couple and a young family. They were all very nice, but it still felt weird, and they asked questions about why I was there alone. Some times a waiter would ask me about it at a TS, but that didn't feel as awkward. When you're walking around and waiting in queue, no one notices you. I thought about lying and telling people that my imaginary "husband" was sick back at the hotel room or playing golf, but I felt weirder doing that than by just being honest. :)
Who cares what other people think. I bet some people would actually be jealous.

If you have ever traveled with others and had arguments, you'd be thrilled to be alone. You remind me of one Disney trip I booked with a boyfriend. By the time the trip came, we had broken up. Most uncomfortable trip ever. We did a lot of stuff separately.

I went alone once. It was a short trip. I actually met my sister, cousin and their kids there for one night. And then I had 3 days alone, maybe 2, I forget.

It did get lonely at times but that was ok. I was on my own pace and could walk whatever way without saying let's go this way or my DH/kids (I had neither at the time) say let's go that way. I slept good..OMG..sleeping in a bed without a snoring husband...would be heaven (he travels sometimes so yes it is heaven but I'd don't sleep well when he is away).

I didn't do sit downs so I ate where and when I wanted.

I rode what I wanted and I don't know if there were single rider lines but I think on space mountain they were looking for a single and me me me me me...

I wouldn't go longer then a few days though.

Yep, now that my kids are teens, DH gifted me a solo trip 3 years ago for my birthday, and will be solo in a few months. I totally enjoyed being by myself, and doing what I want, when I want. I could care less what people think as to why I am alone. I found most were nice and only a few were not. Go, and enjoy.

I have gone solo twice and will probably do another solo trip next year. I don't get too lonely. I video chat with my family and keep up on things at home through social media. I am quiet and introverted and do a lot of things by myself even when I am at home and have also traveled to other destinations solo. There might be people (primarily cast members) who act like they are sorry for your being alone, but most people don't notice you at all. At WDW I have enjoyed table service meals alone, gone to MNSSHP and trick-or-treated alone, and gone on a tour alone. Yes, it might be a little lonely, but it is also wonderful to experience the freedom that comes with doing what you want to do without having to please someone else.

I have also traveled several times with my mother who doesn't do thrill rides. She was content to find a shaded bench somewhere and wait for me. She loves to people watch and would occasionally strike up a conversation with another older person who was waiting for their family.

I have a solo trip in 30 days! I'm a classic introvert, and I don't think it will cause any problems. Without preschoolers to keep interested I imagine I will actually go a bit slower and pay attention to the details.

I travel solo to WDW twice a year. I'm also introverted, but no one really cares if you're alone or not. I will say I've never done Biergarten because I'd have to be seated with strangers, but every other TS I've done has been great. When I get seated at a TS, I'm asked if I'm alone or if someone is joining me, but I figure that's pretty normal. A couple of times, I've met up with friends for a few hours, but I much prefer traveling by myself.

If you have a chance to go solo, I say go for it. I don't think you'll regret it.

Adult only trips are fabulous! My hubby was a bit apprehensive about going without our kids. I talked him into it for our 50th bdays and 26th anniversary. We had an awesome trip! Go for it! You will love it!

Reactions: msk
Go for it! I'm going solo in two weeks and can't wait! Like you said, you can do what you want, when you want. I don't get lonely. I'm so busy, then exhausted at the end of the day, go to bed, and start all over again the next day! Try it, you'll like it....

I have done many solo trips as well as a few days alone combined with family arriving later than I did or leaving early. Also done a trip where my dh did some non park activities (golf, Richard Petty driving, etc.) while I did the parks and we went out together at night. Nobody really notices if your alone - in fact when I am with family we don't spend 24/7 together either and I am sometimes alone while they ride a ride I don't enjoy. I would encourage anyone who things they would enjoy it to give it a try! There are lots of places to eat solo and I have Never Ever been asked why I am alone by a guest or CM and I would find it rude! Counter service is a good choice and there are many great ones esp. at Epcot. I will also eat at the bar sometimes if they serve food there are many but Prime Time is a favorite and I always have a great time there.

Go alone! I do it, and I absolutely love it! People watching is great, you can do exactly what you want, I think it is way more relaxing.

Just back from a wonderful solo adventure. 5 nights at Pop Century- 6 park days.

I was out and about in the parks about 14-16 hours a day. Not a single boring minute.

There is so much to do and see. I was finally able to do the adult tours (I did three of them) since I had no children with me, I didn't have to carry anything except MY items, I could eat where I wanted to eat when I wanted to eat, and I didn't have to modify any plans because of someone else's blisters or hunger or aches or exhaustion or crankiness (and generally I just ignored my own :p).

It was not relaxing- I lam apparently an incurable park commando- but it was awesome.

Highly, highly recommend a solo trip.

I am on the fence with this idea. I think its good as long as you keep the trip short, no more than two days. I speak from experience.

Fourteen years ago, before starting a new job, I decided to treat myself to a four day trip to WDW. At that point, I had not been in 8 years and it was my first (and only) time going there solo. It was fun for a day or two. But the last two days weren't that enjoyable. Disney is something that is more fun with other people. You want other people with you to enjoy the experiences. On day three of my solo trip, when I boarded the people mover by myself, it dawned on me that I had already done everything I wanted todo and I was kind of lonely for the last two days.

I would suggest finding another adult to go with you (and you can still avoid dealing with the strollers and kid stuff). Otherwise, if the goal is to ride all the thrill rides, just go for a day or two on a park hopper or go somewhere with a lot more thrill rides (like Cedar Point)

I'm going on my first solo trip in a few days. I am also a big introvert and plan on going my own pace wherever the whim takes me (outside of my planned fastpasses of course). I figured that 99% of the people won't be paying enough attention to even notice I'm alone in the first place and that 1% that does notice won't remember 10 minutes later. I plan on taking pictures and shopping to fill some of the time and stopping at every photopass photographer that I see. My DH & DS tend to move me fast through stores so this is my chance to shop. I also made a Disney bucket list to give me a goal so I won't be board. I don't go anywhere without my Kindle so I can pull that out at meal times and waiting for shows. I also plan on going to all the shows DH & DS won't go to. This trip is my chance to do those things I don't normally get to do. Attitude is everything. Going into it thinking you will be board or feel awkward and you will. Go into it with an attitude of this is my adventure how am I going to complete it and you won't have time to be board or feel awkward. Make a game for yourself, Meet Micky in all 4 parks, how many rides can you do in a day, how many characters can you do in a day, or see all the night time spectaculars. Be determined to have fun and love it for what it is and the next trip with family and/or friends will be fun in a different way. Not more or less fun but different fun.

I have a husband and two kids and my DH surprised me two years ago by booking airfare for me for a solo WDW trip that he knew I had secretly dreamed about for years.

It was amazing. So amazing that I'm taking another solo trip this October! I love going during food & wine. I am a shy introvert and had no trouble enjoying myself. I was also shocked by how many people I talked to during my trip! I think food & wine especially makes it easy to be social, there were plenty of times where those stand up tables were in high demand and folks asked if they could share with me.

My first trip was 4 nights, but due to an early flight my last day, I really had 3.5 days of true "park time." This time I'm going for 5 nights because I wanted just a little more time. We still take family trips to WDW and they are absolutely special. But my solo trip was amazing for a bunch of different reasons.

Hope it's okay to post it here, but I wrote on article for The Dis about my solo adventure:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-world/making-the-case-for-a-disney-momcation/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter