Addonitis - Thoughts?

soTinkalicious

Earning My Ears
Happy Sunday. So admittedly strange times going on here. But the add-on-itis bug is really starting to bite for me. We travel yearly to maybe every 18 months. With the family spread out, we often meet at Disney to get together - staying at the larger 2 and 3 bedroom resorts. Our home resort is AKV. Although we did pick up a Riviera contract at Christmas last year. With the current incentives, who is thinking on buying and where?

I have add-on-itis and blue card FOMO, so I was considering adding on with the current incentives.

I had decided on Copper Creek. It has a longer expiration date and a home resort advantage that is more valuable than Saratoga Springs, which is the other resort I was considering. Also, neither of those have the resale restrictions.

However, I decided to wait, given the uncertainty with, well, everything.
- I don't even know if I can use all my current points when considering the issues with traveling, renting points, and the amount of points in the system from cancellations.
- I expect my job to be fine, but I want to keep cash fluid at this time, given the economic uncertainty.
- What I really want is to buy in at the new Disneyland DVC, although it's a bit of a gamble that it will even happen.

Saving $500 ($5/point for 100 points) is not worth the added risk to me at this time.

However, I decided to wait, given the uncertainty with, well, everything.
- I don't even know if I can use all my current points when considering the issues with traveling, renting points, and the amount of points in the system from cancellations.
- I expect my job to be fine, but I want to keep cash fluid at this time, given the economic uncertainty.

I have a lot of the same thoughts too! So it's that little voice that keeps talking to me, urging me on.
And the other voice trying to bring in reason.

- What I really want is to buy in at the new Disneyland DVC, although it's a bit of a gamble that it will even happen.
It’s certainly a gamble to some extent, but the pressures that led Disney to give up on Reflections are pretty different from the circumstances in Anaheim, where VGC points are now $280 with a 2 year wait list that they won’t even add you to right now if you ask.

If Disneyland DVC doesn’t happen IMHO it’s because the city turns them down, not because TWDC pulls the plug.

It’s certainly a gamble to some extent, but the pressures that led Disney to give up on Reflections are pretty different from the circumstances in Anaheim, where VGC points are now $280 with a 2 year wait list that they won’t even add you to right now if you ask.

If Disneyland DVC doesn’t happen IMHO it’s because the city turns them down, not because TWDC pulls the plug.

I don't want to get too off-topic on OP's thread, but I do agree with you about the Disneyland DVC. Considering the recent track record of cancelled projects around Disneyland (the pedestrian bridge across Harbor, the hotel at Downtown Disney), it still feels very tentative.

@soTinkalicious

Where are you thinking about buying?

I'm thinking through three resorts - AKL (original home), Riviera (purchased a contract there in December) or Hilton Head - which we just love staying at.

We tend to travel as a large extended family. We like AKL - they always have good availability at the 11 month mark for the larger rooms. But we love the convenience of the Sky Buckets at Riviera. I also enjoy Boardwalk but not sure I want to purchase enough points there to secure the 2/3 bedrooms at 11 month mark.

The cure for that disease comes at the end of December when you get your bill for your annual fees. They start adding up.

Since we typically stay in 2 and 3 bedroom suites, so far the convenience/memories of having Nana, Papa and all the grandkids in one suite outweigh the dues costs. Rack rate on the suites is outrageous.

I'm thinking through three resorts - AKL (original home), Riviera (purchased a contract there in December) or Hilton Head - which we just love staying at.

We tend to travel as a large extended family. We like AKL - they always have good availability at the 11 month mark for the larger rooms. But we love the convenience of the Sky Buckets at Riviera. I also enjoy Boardwalk but not sure I want to purchase enough points there to secure the 2/3 bedrooms at 11 month mark.

Since we typically stay in 2 and 3 bedroom suites, so far the convenience/memories of having Nana, Papa and all the grandkids in one suite outweigh the dues costs. Rack rate on the suites is outrageous.

Ooooh - tough choices! I'd almost go with Hilton Head in your case, although the 2042 expiration and high dues are turn-offs. With three homes, you could bank and borrow and rotate among your three resorts and go to a different one each year on a three-year rotation for those large rooms.

If you already have blue card benefits, I'd consider resale to save more money than what they're offering as direct savings. The exception to this would be if you choose to add on at Riviera, since resale contracts there are only good at Riviera.

Ooooh - tough choices! I'd almost go with Hilton Head in your case, although the 2042 expiration and high dues are turn-offs.

Hilton Head resale is rapidly coming to the top of my list! My kids really enjoy the Beach House at Hilton Head. We normally rent private condo on Hilton Head because the Disney Hilton Head is booked - so we miss out on the Beach House!

Just grabbed another AUL subsidized contract. :) Quickly built up a mountain of points --just COVID getting in the way and DD's school schedule is messing with everything too now with all the uncertainty. Ready for empty nesting excursions though :)

I'm getting pretty close to empty nesting excursions too! And I want them to many copious and plentiful!!! And involve much wining and dining.

Just grabbed another AUL subsidized contract. :) Quickly built up a mountain of points --just COVID getting in the way and DD's school schedule is messing with everything too now with all the uncertainty. Ready for empty nesting excursions though :)
Do you plan on updating the ROFR thread with your purchase? Would love to see where that sells these days?

Don't have a signed contract yet, just offer accepted. Once it gets further along will add to it.

I offered on it too, $91, must have been the stripped 200 point Feb UY? Congratulations! Glad another Dis-er got it! We own two UYs, one Feb AUL (sub dues) and a small AKV add on, and a separate VGC UY. I wasn't sure we needed more AUL points anyway, but they do work for SAPs... We were trying to decide between a smaller add-on at BLT, but the math seemed to work out better booking lake view at 7 month with AUL sub dues points, rather than buying BLT and booking standard view. I am still torn! Easier decision if BLT prices would start to drop closer to AUL sub dues but they seem to be holding aside from that one-off $100 contract that recently sold. Would love any advice... wait to see if BLT prices will drop or wait for another AUL sub dues to hit the market in my UY to use at BLT at 7 months?

Where do you manage to find subsized Aulani contracts? We would love to own there for an every 2-3 years trip, but the dues are what keep me from buying.

two popped up on DVC resale https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/listings/ over the weekend. @shaunacb - UY Dec - getting signed contract going; will update when we get that done.

We debated the same; SAP AUL still came out ahead since we're not particular on the WDW resorts -- the recent AKL prices have peeked our interest though; but the AUL sub just makes sense for west coasters. Typically upgrade-itis with all this. Oceanview? sure. 1BR? why not --- that's the danger of point creep. Upgrade creep!

two popped up on DVC resale https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/listings/ over the weekend. @shaunacb - UY Dec - getting signed contract going; will update when we get that done.

We debated the same; SAP AUL still came out ahead since we're not particular on the WDW resorts -- the recent AKL prices have peeked our interest though; but the AUL sub just makes sense for west coasters. Typically upgrade-itis with all this. Oceanview? sure. 1BR? why not --- that's the danger of point creep. Upgrade creep!

How can you tell they are subsidized dues? Do you have to go into each contract to see?

Thanks @montreid! Do you mind me asking what you paid for the Dec sub dues contract? I don't think it was stripped like the Feb one right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter