Adding On Direct to Keep Benefits

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
I have three direct contracts. If I was interested in selling them and then buying resale to get smaller contracts and better UYs, how many points would I need to buy direct before selling in order to keep membership benefits?

As long as you keep one, you should be good without adding on any more direct. This is of course assuming it was bought before last February. If was bought after then, it would have to be at least 75 total points.

As long as you keep one, you should be good without adding on any more direct. This is of course assuming it was bought before last February. If was bought after then, it would have to be at least 75 total points.
They were bought in 2008. I have a 100-point AKV and two 50-point HHIs. If I do this, I don't have a desire to keep any of them. What I may be interested in doing is adding on some points directly at BRV to keep some membership benefits and then selling all my existing contracts. Then I would buy resale to get the resorts, the size contracts, and the UYs I want. So would I need to add on 75 directly to keep the benefits?

They were bought in 2008. I have a 100-point AKV and two 50-point HHIs. If I do this, I don't have a desire to keep any of them. What I may be interested in doing is adding on some points directly at BRV to keep some membership benefits and then selling all my existing contracts. Then I would buy resale to get the resorts, the size contracts, and the UYs I want. So would I need to add on 75 directly to keep the benefits?

Yes.

You would also lose the ability to trade into new resorts with any resale purchases.
It would really be much cheaper to just keep the 100 AKV points and sleep around with those than it would be to buy 75 elsewhere, but you can of course do whatever makes you the happiest!

You would also lose the ability to trade into new resorts with any resale purchases.
It would really be much cheaper to just keep the 100 AKV points and sleep around with those than it would be to buy 75 elsewhere, but you can of course do whatever makes you the happiest!
I could care less about trading into new resorts, but the cost is important.

Thanks for all the information.

I would sell the HHI contracts and keep the AKV contract for the benefits. Use the AKV points to rent out.

:earsboy: Bill

I don't know if you've started looking at resale prices yet, but small contracts are typically only slightly cheAper than direct once you factor in whether or not they're stripped, closing costs, and the way dues are handled. Although, with the recent price increase direct, the gap has gotten larger.

What I've done is called my guide for a total cost and then I can calculate and compare to resale more accurately. Comparing only price per point can be misleading. I've seen a few I thought were a good deal only to figure out the savings wasn't as great as I thought.

I also find myself tempted to settle for 50 points instead of 40 or 60 or....whatever. I'm hoping to find a couple very specific small contracts. I'm giving it 1 year since I'm not in a big hurry .

Good luck!

I have three direct contracts. If I was interested in selling them and then buying resale to get smaller contracts and better UYs, how many points would I need to buy direct before selling in order to keep membership benefits?

Do you use any of the substantial benefits - ie, do you buy AP's to make it worthwhile to have the direct benefits?

I'd also recommend looking at the scenario again and seeing if you can work with keeping one of your existing contracts if you do actually have a need for the direct benefits. The cost to sell and replace with 75 direct points may or may not be worth it. It could be several years worth of AP's to recover the difference.

Do you use any of the substantial benefits - ie, do you buy AP's to make it worthwhile to have the direct benefits?

I'd also recommend looking at the scenario again and seeing if you can work with keeping one of your existing contracts if you do actually have a need for the direct benefits. The cost to sell and replace with 75 direct points may or may not be worth it. It could be several years worth of AP's to recover the difference.
I am about to retire, and my DH and I will begin buying APs for yearly trips. I do want to keep the benefits. For some reason, I was just thinking that as an existing owner, I could keep 25 points direct and buy the rest resale. But I guess it's 75 points now for everyone. It would make more sense to keep the AKV and buy the BRV resale. I just wish I could change the UY.

I would sell the HHI contracts and keep the AKV contract for the benefits. Use the AKV points to rent out.

:earsboy: Bill
If I kept anything, it would be the HHI contracts. We plan on continuing to use them. The only thing we would like to change on them would be the UY.

I am about to retire, and my DH and I will begin buying APs for yearly trips. I do want to keep the benefits. For some reason, I was just thinking that as an existing owner, I could keep 25 points direct and buy the rest resale. But I guess it's 75 points now for everyone. It would make more sense to keep the AKV and buy the BRV resale. I just wish I could change the UY.

Since your grandfathered in you will still qualify for direct benefits with one of the existing 50 pt HHI contracts. And those will get you less for selling too so that might be the way to go.

I bought 3 contracts - SSR and BLT direct and OKW resale - all years ago. I recently sold my OKW and will be selling my BLT this July after my rentals have taken place.

I am planning to keep my SSR contract even though I have rented out my points (thank you David's) till 2020. I like being able to get the AP discount and Memory Maker. We love staying at SSR so that is not a negative. I don't even have a problem with staying offsite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter