Adding 5 peoples tickets to MY apple wallet

If you're all adults or a small group (2-3) it's one thing, but the group in front of us was setting up RS with like 4 or 5 tickets on one phone.

4-5 would not phase me at all now. Especially at Disneyland. We had the group of 22-23 (multi generational family group) that was all using 1 phone to scan into an ILL for Webslingers (before it became regular Genie+). Grandpa (or who we assume was Grandpa) would scan a ticket and then call out the name and that person would go through. It took forever and no way to get around to the other scanner. I think the CM was as annoyed as I was. And then after pre-show they were all split up as a group coming out of that room and pushing past and through to get together.

4-5 would not phase me at all now. Especially at Disneyland. We had the group of 22-23 (multi generational family group) that was all using 1 phone to scan into an ILL for Webslingers (before it became regular Genie+). Grandpa (or who we assume was Grandpa) would scan a ticket and then call out the name and that person would go through. It took forever and no way to get around to the other scanner. I think the CM was as annoyed as I was. And then after pre-show they were all split up as a group coming out of that room and pushing past and through to get together.

That's something....I can't even imagine that group at the park entry tapstyles....

Unless an adult doesn’t have a smart phone/device, sending a screenshot of the QR code works just fine. This is what DH and I did for Disneyland.

We used the phone for Genie+ at DLR last year. It took all of one second per screen to swipe through our LLs at the ride entrances. I’m pretty fast with the phone but now I have performance anxiety! 😂

The reason why this is more cumbersome at WDW is because they do not have visual scanners for QR codes, it's all RFID. So sending a screenshot won't work at all. And the visual scanning for LLs is quicker/easier there.

The reason why this is more cumbersome at WDW is because they do not have visual scanners for QR codes, it's all RFID. So sending a screenshot won't work at all. And the visual scanning for LLs is quicker/easier there.
Now it makes more sense to me. I didn’t realize it was not the regular scanners but rfid scanners instead.

Not sure what you mean. I use the QR code off my Apple Watch every WDW trip. I could just as easily screenshot it on my phone and enter.

And the only reason we did so at DL is because they wouldn’t give us a paper ticket.

Not sure what you mean. I use the QR code off my Apple Watch every WDW trip. I could just as easily screenshot it on my phone and enter.

And the only reason we did so at DL is because they wouldn’t give us a paper ticket.
Um, sorry, but no you don't. There are no QR code scanners at WDW.

You can use your Apple Watch, but it's not "reading" the QR code. It's using Bluetooth technology to access the pass in your digital wallet.

If you walked up to the entrance gate and showed them a screenshot of a QR code, it would not work.

Um, sorry, but no you don't. There are no QR code scanners at WDW.

You can use your Apple Watch, but it's not "reading" the QR code. It's using Bluetooth technology to access the pass in your digital wallet.

If you walked up to the entrance gate and showed them a screenshot of a QR code, it would not work.

Thanks. Here’s an example of where my confusion stems from: the article linked below states WDW altered their entrance system to accept both RFID (MB) and MobileMagic (smart devices).

“You can download an admission code to your Apple Watch and use it at the kiosk instead.”

Since I use my watch, I assumed the new system read the QR code.

Also, I believe the PhotoPass photographers use the scanners, but could be wrong.

https://mickeyblog.com/2021/04/26/everything-you-need-to-know-about-magicmobile/

Last edited:

Thanks. Here’s an example of where my confusion stems from: the article linked below states WDW altered their entrance system to accept both RFID (MB) and MobileMagic (smart devices).

“You can download an admission code to your Apple Watch and use it at the kiosk instead.”

Since I use my watch, I assumed the new system read the QR code.

Also, I believe the PhotoPass photographers use the scanners, but could be wrong.

https://mickeyblog.com/2021/04/26/everything-you-need-to-know-about-magicmobile/
My point is is that the "code" isn't a visual QR code. They don't have visual scanners, like they use at grocery checkouts. Instead, the system reads the bluetooth signal from your device, whether it is a phone or Apple Watch, to access your account. So having a screenshot will not help when trying to scan for entrance to a park or LL, or for photographers.

Last edited:
My point is is that the "code" isn't a visual QR code. They don't have visual scanners, like they use at grocery checkouts. Instead, the system reads the bluetooth/RFID signal from your device, whether it is a phone or Apple Watch, to access your account.
On Android it's NFC. I only mention this because at one point my husband's phone case blocked NFC. Everything looks like it works in the software, but no joy. If your phone doesn't support NFC you can't use magic mobile.

On Android it's NFC. I only mention this because at one point my husband's phone case blocked NFC. Everything looks like it works in the software, but no joy. If your phone doesn't support NFC you can't use magic mobile.
I am just "techy" enough to know enough to make everything work, not really to know all the details and exact terminology. My understanding is that all devices are using NFC, as that is a generic description of having a digital signal pass from one device to something else. For Androids, is it not set up using Bluetooth, like it is with Apple products?

What I DO know for sure is that it is not a visual scan of a QR code. The system is not capable of that.

It honestly should have been this way from the start unless talking about small kids without an account. Takes forever being stuck behind these people. Plastic tickets take all of 2 seconds if everyone has their own lanyard.
Not every adult has a smart phone and some adults with disabilities may find this difficult. I don’t see how scanning one phone causes more of a backup than giving physical cards to one person in the party to scan for everyone.

Not every adult has a smart phone and some adults with disabilities may find this difficult. I don’t see how scanning one phone causes more of a backup than giving physical cards to one person in the party to scan for everyone.
You’re correct that not all have phones but when not, it’s a matter of the group being aware of how to best work together for the sake of all guests.

Where I’ve experienced a backup (on a number of occasions) is when the group with the person scanning their phone, naturally forms a little cluster around the one scanning, watching as they scan. When they do this they accidentally block the second scanner for everyone else without realizing they’re doing this.

It just seems it’s human nature that the group all stays closely together but rather than in a line, allowing others to walk beside, the entire line stops until the person scanning has scanned all their tickets and the group proceeds. By then a number of other guests have firmed a line waiting since only one scanner was being used.

It’s easily fixed by the group if they form a line behind the person scanning their phone rather than a cluster.

My understanding is that all devices are using NFC, as that is a generic description of having a digital signal pass from one device to something else. For Androids, is it not set up using Bluetooth, like it is with Apple products?

No, Bluetooth isn't a subset of NFC. NFC (near field communication) is it's own thing. NFC is a much shorter range (10-20cm vs 1m+) and transfers less data, but uses much less power than Bluetooth. Apple products also use NFC for apple pay, which is why you need to get the watch or phone close and not just stroll through the gate.

NFC is much closer to RFID than Bluetooth, but uses a different frequency, allows 2 way communication and slightly larger data packets. NFC is what's used for phones that tap and pay, while the little contactless symbol on your credit card means it does RFID. Original magic bands only did RFID, while the new ones do RFID and Bluetooth. (And I'm sure that's more than anyone here wants to hear about the varying technologies.)

What I DO know for sure is that it is not a visual scan of a QR code. The system is not capable of that.
The tapstyles? No, they don't have a QR reader. You can take tickets with a barcode to the gates and they can use a handheld device to get you in, but my teenager would say that's sus. It's slower than refusing to use the finger scan and they'll strongly encourage you to get proper ticket media.

No, Bluetooth isn't a subset of NFC. NFC (near field communication) is it's own thing. NFC is a much shorter range (10-20cm vs 1m+) and transfers less data, but uses much less power than Bluetooth. Apple products also use NFC for apple pay, which is why you need to get the watch or phone close and not just stroll through the gate.

NFC is much closer to RFID than Bluetooth, but uses a different frequency, allows 2 way communication and slightly larger data packets. NFC is what's used for phones that tap and pay, while the little contactless symbol on your credit card means it does RFID. Original magic bands only did RFID, while the new ones do RFID and Bluetooth. (And I'm sure that's more than anyone here wants to hear about the varying technologies.)

The tapstyles? No, they don't have a QR reader. You can take tickets with a barcode to the gates and they can use a handheld device to get you in, but my teenager would say that's sus. It's slower than refusing to use the finger scan and they'll strongly encourage you to get proper ticket media.
Thanks for the more technical explanation! I'm a boomer grandma, but I'm still fascinated by it all, and more importantly I try hard to know what I can use where!

If someone does take only a barcode to the gates (and that is all they have), they often issue them a ticket card right there and then (and the people behind them will groan and/or sigh...). And they may even send them to guest services instead. They will definitely do that if there are any park reservation issues.

If someone does take only a barcode to the gates (and that is all they have), they often issue them a ticket card right there and then (and the people behind them will groan and/or sigh...). And they may even send them to guest services instead. They will definitely do that if there are any park reservation issues.
Yup! There will be much groaning and sighing and trying to go around. It's just not a good answer for any circumstances.

Yup! There will be much groaning and sighing and trying to go around. It's just not a good answer for any circumstances.
Yes. We tried to use the second tapstile when a couple was having some major phone issue at the one closest to the CM. I tapped in and scanned and started to walk around the couple. But the CM wouldn't let us pass. He held up his hand, blocked us and told us to wait while he was trying to help the others. I had already gotten my green Mickey but had to stand there and wait while they phone fiddled. It was kind of annoying. Luckily it was only 2 people.

Following this thread as it’s our first time visiting with magic bands and digital passes in the apple wallet.

I just downloaded the MDE app and put our 3 passes in my apple wallet. But I’m reading in this thread that scanning multiple passes from the apple wallet at park entry is frowned upon? We will all have magic bands. I did the apple wallet thing as back up. I think I will get the plastic cards at the resort for double back up.

I’m a DLR veteran and I can say all this stuff is so confusing and exhausting to the trip planner in the family, aka me.

Also it’s been so long since our last WDW visit do we still do fingerprints upon entry?
I wouldn't mess with admission stuff this much - there's a chance in there somewhere that someone will screw it up! We've used magic bands for years, and have never had a need to get plastic tickets or use wallet. Even when my niece lost her band last trip, we just bought her another one and connected it to her ticket info. (And they mailed us back her lost one when it was turned in after our trip)

I wouldn't mess with admission stuff this much - there's a chance in there somewhere that someone will screw it up! We've used magic bands for years, and have never had a need to get plastic tickets or use wallet. Even when my niece lost her band last trip, we just bought her another one and connected it to her ticket info. (And they mailed us back her lost one when it was turned in after our trip)
I already put the tickets in my apple wallet. I don’t see how that in particular could mess up. I use my apple wallet for everything.

I already put the tickets in my apple wallet. I don’t see how that in particular could mess up. I use my apple wallet for everything.
I keep my tickets in google wallet, but they're my third choice. I use magicbands (or a card, if I don't feel like the band) then the app, then google wallet. It's just because in google wallet I have to work a little harder to get the right card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!