Actual Dog Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trigger warning: Someone planning to stay at WDW with dogs! You have been warned. :dog2:

So this post is just booking experience so far, but I will report back once the stay is complete.

We will be staying 1 night at Art of Animation with two dogs that are each ~25 lbs in early November.

Our family already had plans to stay over a week at a DVC resort before the changes were announced. Once we heard about the updated dog policy at 4 of the Disney resorts, I changed the reservation the night before the DVC stay was to start from a La Quinta in the Universal area to Disney's Art of Animation. Incidentally, most hotels in the Disney Springs area charge $150 to $200 flat pet fee, so Disney's $50 was far cheaper for a single night stay. That is also the same price per day to board both the dogs in the Orlando area. (Don't know about the cost of the disney kennel as it has always been fully booked whenever I've tried to make reservations!)

When speaking with the Cast Member regarding room types available to book with dogs, she said that they were restricted to the standard view Little Mermaid section and the Cars section family suites.

I was reminded during the booking that a print-out proving the dogs are up-to-date with their vaccinations will be required, that the dogs could not be left alone in the room for more than 7 hours (not a problem, since ours will never be left alone), if there was any barking reported we'd be required to be back to our room within 30 minutes. She also mentioned that they would be allowed on Disney's Magical Express in a dog carrier, but this was not relevant to us as we're driving. The pet fee will only be collected upon check-in, and we will also receive a map at that time showing where the dogs are allowed to walk. At absolutely no time are the dogs allowed in the shops, restaurant or pool areas.

We're very interested to see how our test case goes, but reading through some of the responses on other threads, I'm starting to be on edge that we're going to have to listen to angry rants while there.

I'm not thrilled with allowing dogs, but please... I'll be running up to all of them and trying to hug them! :p

It's been awhile, but when we camped in our RV at FW, and rented a golf cart, we took our beagle with us "looping" and walked him in many non-populated areas (obviously not by the pools, trading post, horses, etc). We always combined WDW and Universal on these trips, so that same beagle stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel (in one of their pet designated rooms) many times, and we saw many other dogs while there (the majority of whom were being very responsible).

He was crate trained (and we traveled with the crate) and used to being alone up to 8 hrs a day, so was a good traveler. I'm afraid not all dogs will be, but that remains to be seen.

Terri

Hi. Based on your experience if I was to rent a bike at FW would I likely encounter dogs off leads in quieter areas whilst cycling? Or even, dogs on leashes (however friendly) jumping up as I pass? TIA

Airlines are looking/pushing for a state or federal ID as they are seeing many passengers say they have a trained service or emotional assistance pet. Hubby had two service dogs on a flight a couple months ago, one clearly trained as it didn't acknowledge any passenger etc and was quiet. The other dog got on board and started barking at first service dog...hmmmm...which one is clearly trained? Since airlines cannot question the authenticity of the service dogs, he had them sit in different parts of the plane.

But there's nothing in the ada rules that says the dog must act like a trained from birth seeing eye dog.

We all have this image in our heads is what a service animal acts like, but it's just not accurate. Yes it would be lovely if they all behaved that way. But if my kid has seizures and some random dog I get at the shelter can sense them and save his life (remembering poor Jett Travolta and his life ending seizure in the bathroom), it's not going to matter much to me if he's not currently the most obedient dog ever.

A dog helping a blind person cross a street safely has to be trained perfectly. A dog sensing that my blood sugar is precariously low as I sleep does not have to be trained to that extent.

And can we please stop talking about service animals and emotional support animals at the same time? Rules are different for them. :)

And I'm sorry I keep responding to this stuff. Please don't close the thread because of it.

I feel that laws are important to know about and healthy discussion about it is needed. I did a ton of research about service animals some years back when I was being negatively impacted by two not-actually-service-dogs. And even though we actually ended up moving to get away from the situation, I became quite an advocate for the laws, and for not wanting to make life harder for those with actual service dogs.

Last edited:
I will be happy to let you know about our experience. I booked a 4 night that stay in the FW cabins for early May. Booked specifically because of the new policy. Also booked day care for our 50 pound goldendoodle at Best Friends for each day. Plan to drop her off in the morning and pick up late afternoon. There will be 3 adults so one night each of us will stay with her in the cabin and on the last night we will get a sitter so we can all go out together. Took our last dog to stay at Portofina Bay twice, did the same arrangement, and everyone, including the dog, had a great time. No problems at all. Driving from PA. Obviously not something we would do for every trip but it is worth the time and effort to be able to share the time together.

I just don't see how the service dog thing is going to get involved in all of this. If you're a sneak who knows of the two allowed questions, you were already doing this. If you weren't, this isn't going to cause you to become one. If you do, and if you leave your dog in the room to bark, they now have some strong rules for you. 30 minutes to get back to the barking dog? That's a very short amount of time. That's serious. I like it.

I think this is exactly the point, but it is not the service dogs (ones that fit the ADA law by performing an actual service) that are to "blame" for the change in policy. I believe most service industries are battling the lack of regulation on emotional support dogs and the effort to make them fit into the service dog category. People are abusing the system, especially since they can answer that the job they are doing is emotional support. This is difficult to quantify, and could be anything from helping with PTSD (which is important and necessary) to the owner's desire not to board the dog. It's not being regulated, so people are using it as an excuse to bring their dog. They go online, buy a scarf or dog jacket that says it's an emotional support dog, and expect them to be allowed. As a result, Disney is putting a policy in place to allow the dogs already coming in, but to keep it confined to areas that are more conducive to them. It also gives them a reason to charge for it!

I have my own dog, and am seriously interested in how this goes in reality. We go often enough, and I would definitely prefer to bring him vs. board him. BUT, we spend a lot of time in the afternoon at the resort, and he is crate trained and used to us working during the day (and being gone). I still need more information, though- so hoping to see how it goes with those of you trying it out!

I feel that laws are important to know about and healthy discussion about it is needed. I did a ton of research about service animals some years back when I was being negatively impacted by two not-actually-service-dogs. And even though we actually ended up moving to get away from the situation, I became quite an advocate for the laws, and for not wanting to make life harder for those with actual service dogs.

I agree that discussion about service animals is topical in light of Disney's dog friendly decision. We had a big debate about service animals on the Theme Parks forum not that long ago.

With the dog friendly policy for select resorts, it would be a topic most applicable to the Resorts board. Service animal or not, we are still talking mostly about dogs. :)

I hope this helps someone - I arrive at Yacht Club this Saturday, Oct. 21st, and was on the phone to Disney this evening. I called to ask to be booked in a room that has never had a dog stay in it before, and has no dogs staying on either side of the room. Initially the person told me that they couldn't guarantee anything, and I nicely explained that I booked this reservation before the dog announcement was made, and if I had known, I would not have booked YC - and now I cannot cancel it without penalty. I was put on hold while she transferred me to a guest services person. He tried to move me to another resort, but there was no availability he said. Then he put me on hold while he called to speak directly with YC. He came back and said that as of today, there have been no dogs checked into YC, and in fact there has been only one dog checked in to Disney so far, at Art of Animation. He said that according to YC, dogs will only be allowed to stay in rooms on the first floor of the hotel. He said I will be assigned to a room on a high floor, and by Saturday there may not have been any dogs checked in yet at the resort. I asked how long this dog trial will last, and he said it's supposed to be a year long trial. I'll report back on whether I see any dogs around the resort, and how that seems to be going.

I hope this helps someone - I arrive at Yacht Club this Saturday, Oct. 21st, and was on the phone to Disney this evening. I called to ask to be booked in a room that has never had a dog stay in it before, and has no dogs staying on either side of the room. Initially the person told me that they couldn't guarantee anything, and I nicely explained that I booked this reservation before the dog announcement was made, and if I had known, I would not have booked YC - and now I cannot cancel it without penalty. I was put on hold while she transferred me to a guest services person. He tried to move me to another resort, but there was no availability he said. Then he put me on hold while he called to speak directly with YC. He came back and said that as of today, there have been no dogs checked into YC, and in fact there has been only one dog checked in to Disney so far, at Art of Animation. He said that according to YC, dogs will only be allowed to stay in rooms on the first floor of the hotel. He said I will be assigned to a room on a high floor, and by Saturday there may not have been any dogs checked in yet at the resort. I asked how long this dog trial will last, and he said it's supposed to be a year long trial. I'll report back on whether I see any dogs around the resort, and how that seems to be going.
I think this will be the rule more than an exception-I don't see hundreds of dogs at Disney-just a couple dozen at any given time. To be honest I'm not sure I would bring my dog to Disney-not sure I'd want to leave her for a few hours alone (though she's left for about ten hours at home alone every weekday with no accidents) but I do like the fact that I have a choice to bring her.

Very helpful, thanks for sharing!

You may have already slept in a room where a dogs have been - there are a lot of service animals at Disney.

Trigger warning: Someone planning to stay at WDW with dogs! You have been warned. :dog2:

So this post is just booking experience so far, but I will report back once the stay is complete.

We will be staying 1 night at Art of Animation with two dogs that are each ~25 lbs in early November.

Our family already had plans to stay over a week at a DVC resort before the changes were announced. Once we heard about the updated dog policy at 4 of the Disney resorts, I changed the reservation the night before the DVC stay was to start from a La Quinta in the Universal area to Disney's Art of Animation. Incidentally, most hotels in the Disney Springs area charge $150 to $200 flat pet fee, so Disney's $50 was far cheaper for a single night stay. That is also the same price per day to board both the dogs in the Orlando area. (Don't know about the cost of the disney kennel as it has always been fully booked whenever I've tried to make reservations!)

When speaking with the Cast Member regarding room types available to book with dogs, she said that they were restricted to the standard view Little Mermaid section and the Cars section family suites.

I was reminded during the booking that a print-out proving the dogs are up-to-date with their vaccinations will be required, that the dogs could not be left alone in the room for more than 7 hours (not a problem, since ours will never be left alone), if there was any barking reported we'd be required to be back to our room within 30 minutes. She also mentioned that they would be allowed on Disney's Magical Express in a dog carrier, but this was not relevant to us as we're driving. The pet fee will only be collected upon check-in, and we will also receive a map at that time showing where the dogs are allowed to walk. At absolutely no time are the dogs allowed in the shops, restaurant or pool areas.

We're very interested to see how our test case goes, but reading through some of the responses on other threads, I'm starting to be on edge that we're going to have to listen to angry rants while there.

Have a great trip!! :dog2::dog2:

Hi. Based on your rent a bike at FW would I likely encounter dogs off leads in quieter areas whilst cycling? Or even, dogs on leashes (however friendly) jumping up as I pass? TIA

I can only comment on pre-dog days...when dogs were only allowed in campers.

It was unlikely to come across a dog off leash - only within the fenced dog run, which I would assume you would not be in if you were avoiding dogs. Camping with dogs is a very typical thing, but most (if not 100% of campgrounds) require dogs to be on leads, so it is second nature for campers to keep them on leads.

Dogs on leashes in the pet loops - very common; but I wouldn't expect them to be jumping up on a cyclist and most dog owners keep their dogs on the correct length lead. Dogs on leashes in the non-pet loops? Less likely, but still possible.

I can only comment on pre-dog days...when dogs were only allowed in campers.

It was unlikely to come across a dog off leash - only within the fenced dog run, which I would assume you would not be in if you were avoiding dogs. Camping with dogs is a very typical thing, but most (if not 100% of campgrounds) require dogs to be on leads, so it is second nature for campers to keep them on leads.

Dogs on leashes in the pet loops - very common; but I wouldn't expect them to be jumping up on a cyclist and most dog owners keep their dogs on the correct length lead. Dogs on leashes in the non-pet loops? Less likely, but still possible.

Thanks for your kind reply. It's helpful to know what different people have experienced at FW re. dogs already. My two favorite places to walk at Disney (cycle, too) are POR and FW.

Yes, but people are now allowed to book rooms that accommodate dogs. I was hoping to collect the factual info in one place.

i.e: When you booked were you told that you'd have the option of all room categories? That sort of thing. I'm just looking to see how this policy is actually put into action.

I think there are still a number of unanswered questions:
Will certain rooms in the resort be set aside for travelers with dogs, or will any room be fair game?
How were you accommodated if you had a pre-existing reservation at one of the four resorts and needed a dog-free room due to allergies?

I was thinking it would be helpful to separate the opinions from the actual experiences.
Yes, thank you for starting this thread. I don't have a dog but I do want to hear about actual experiences. It may not be as bad as people anticipate. With all the rules around where the dog can be and can't be, we may not even see these dogs...LOL. But...I would like the information.

However, we've all seen threads where guests reported trash in the bed, under the bed, in the bathroom, spills on the floor when they entered their "clean" resort hotel room. Do we expect every pet room to get the extra treatment to make it clean for non-pet owning guests?
I think there will always be examples of "whoops" missed that under there. It happens. But to put it in perspective, most people don't comment on how well housekeeping did. So...I'd like to hear positive stories from the dog owners and from the people experiencing dogs at the resorts. I'm sure we shall hear all the negative ones.

But if my kid has seizures and some random dog I get at the shelter can sense them and save his life (remembering poor Jett Travolta and his life ending seizure in the bathroom), it's not going to matter much to me if he's not currently the most obedient dog ever.

But by ADA definition, the dog must be trained. I'll agree that dogs who can sense seizures, diabetic lows, etc. most likely have some inherent ability, but they also must be trained. Part of that training should be obedience. A true service dog "on duty" should never react to other dogs or people or other stimuli - except to protect his person.

People are abusing the system, especially since they can answer that the job they are doing is emotional support. This is difficult to quantify, and could be anything from helping with PTSD (which is important and necessary) to the owner's desire not to board the dog.

Providing "emotional support" does not qualify as a service dog. Some PTSD dogs are trained in other tasks, and therefore are service dogs. Those who simply calm fears by being near are not. What you mention are not tasks a dog has been trained to perform, therefore not a service animal. No gray area to interpret. But I do agree with you that people who wish to abuse or cheat the system can do so easily by being prepared with the "right" responses that cannot be challenged.

I do not think the new policy will have any particular increase in "fake" service dogs. People who were so inclined would have brought their dog without a pet-friendly policy.

Last edited:

Thank you for sharing. I'm curious as to how your dogs will never be left alone? Are you planning on brining them to a kennel during the day? And while you are at the room, if you want to use the pool, won't you have to leave them in the room? Just thinking in terms of restrictions and yes, anxious to hear about how you will be received. at AOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter