accumulating "stuff" + purging

After going through my parents house after they passed I was driven to go through our own house and drastically purge. My mom had hundreds and hundreds of Knick knacks. It was ridiculous. My dad never threw anything out. We found bags of spray nozzles hanging from the basement ceiling. If he thought he may need it someday, he saved it. So I went through clothes, kitchen ware, collectibles that I no longer wanted, you name it. If I hadn’t worn or used it in the past couple of years I got rid of it. I gave boxes of stuff to a local church rummage sale. Anymore it’s if I don’t absolutely need something I don’t buy it. I felt so much better after I decluttered our house. That was about 5 years ago and I think I’m ready to go through it again. I need to get my husband more on track with the same though.

Wouldn’t the appliances get sold with the house? Or the new buyers didn’t want them?
No. The Title company actually had me call them the second the washer and dryer and refrigerator were removed, because they wouldn't (and legally couldn't) close escrow until those items were removed. They are considered personal property that is not a part of a Real Estate sale. I do believe some sellers will approach the buyers outside the Real Estate deal and work something out. That happened with my daughter, but both her agent and the sellers agent made it clear that they legally could not handle that negotiation for them. Most folks have their own appliances anyway.

Last edited:
No. The Title company actually had me call them the second the washer and dryer and refrigerator were removed, because they wouldn't (and legally couldn't) close escrow until those items were removed. They are considered personal property that is not a part of a Real Estate sale. I do believe some sellers will approach the buyers outside the Real Estate deal and work something out. That happened with my daughter, but both her agent and the sellers agent made it clear that they legally could not handle that negotiation for them. Most folks have their own appliances anyway.

seriously? i've sold multiple properties in california/dealt with mom's house when it sold in the early 2000's and that was NEVER a provision. in all cases it had to be written that we were NOT including specific appliances in the sale but unless they were listed as exempted from the sale they stayed. when we bought the last home we owned in california (new construction) the non built in appliances we chose to have the developer provide were all listed in the contract as being inclusive of the purchase price. no issue with title transfer when we bought or sold it.

seriously? i've sold multiple properties in california/dealt with mom's house when it sold in the early 2000's and that was NEVER a provision. in all cases it had to be written that we were NOT including specific appliances in the sale but unless they were listed as exempted from the sale they stayed. when we bought the last home we owned in california (new construction) the non built in appliances we chose to have the developer provide were all listed in the contract as being inclusive of the purchase price. no issue with title transfer when we bought or sold it.
And the title company was calling me like every hour that day to see if they had been removed yet. My mom's house was 5 minutes from the Title company, and when the refrigerator, washer and dryer were removed, I called the Title company, and they had the check waiting for me and had recorded the sale in the time it took me to drive there.

Odd. Very common that appliances are sold with the house here. Sometimes the buyer's say they don't want them or a seller says "excluding fridge" if wanting to move it with them to the new home.

Odd. Very common that appliances are sold with the house here. Sometimes the buyer's say they don't want them or a seller says "excluding fridge" if wanting to move it with them to the new home.
Googling it, the best description I see is "if it has a plug, it isn't an appliance included in a home sale".
I get it, I sure don't want someone else's washer or dryer. And my daughter scrubbed the fridge she was left with bleach and let it air out for a couple of days before using it.

Googling it, the best description I see is "if it has a plug, it isn't an appliance included in a home sale".
I get it, I sure don't want someone else's washer or dryer. And my daughter scrubbed the fridge she was left with bleach and let it air out for a couple of days before using it.
Washer and dryers and refrigerators are commonly taken by prior homeowners. I'm not leaving my several thousand dollar washer and dryer set (although we won them) and purchasing a new one just so I can leave them with the house.

You sometimes get these items negotiated in the sale IF the homeowner wants to get rid of them and the new homeowner wants them though.

Microwaves, stoves, ovens and dishwashers are typically left unless someone has one they want to take with them.

When our house was getting built a fridge, washer and dryer were not included in the appliance allowance.

Darn. I guess I need to start making some possible disposal plans for all of my parent's appliances. I was hoping to sell them with the house.

Darn. I guess I need to start making some possible disposal plans for all of my parent's appliances. I was hoping to sell them with the house.
You can advertise it that way if you're talking about fridge, washer, dryer, etc and give new owners the chance to have that included in the sale. For some that's an attractive feature. When we rented from the rental house (granted this is slightly different scenario) the landlords advertised it as coming with a washer and dryer and full sized fridge in the kitchen. On the other hand we had looked at a brand new duplex to rent and neither of those items were included. All the places we had lived at previously had these items so we didn't want to have to purchase a washer/dryer or fridge so for us that was a bonus to us at that time of our lives so we declined applying for the duplex.

ETA: I wouldn't dump those appliances listed above on the new homeowners without giving them notice that you intend to keep them there. For my city it would cost money to get those hauled away and I wouldn't want to have to have that as an expense on a new home I just bought without knowing they would be left there before agreeing to the sale.

At the very least have a backup plan.
I think that's a rare and once in a lifetime situation. I imagine when my parents eventually sell and downsize maybe we will have to get rid of their appliances. We can put them on the curb and pay $10 per item on our water bill.

I think that's a rare and once in a lifetime situation. I imagine when my parents eventually sell and downsize maybe we will have to get rid of their appliances. We can put them on the curb and pay $10 per item on our water bill.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I had to laugh out loud at this. I think tvguy probably remembered that I am in the middle of selling my parent's house. I'm not speculating about "gee what if one day I have to sell my parent's house, better make a plan now!" :tongue:

Nice option. We can put junk out once a year, but appliances are prohibited. We can drop off appliances at the dump for free, but we have to get them there. And a limit of two per trip. Other than my mom's house, I have only gotten rid of appliances when i bought new ones and the retailer includes removal of the old appliances are part of the sale.

From our County Refuse website
  • Take large appliances like refrigerators, washers, dryers, stoves, ovens and dishwashers to the North Area Recovery Station or Kiefer Landfill. County residents may drop off up to two large appliances per day for no charge.

Hmmmm, in my state you absolutely can have something in the listing regarding your willingness to include appliances (or pretty much anything else) in the sell. A buyer can also write in their offer an appliance that they would like to be included.

This is exactly how I came to have a 10 year old washer/dryer set that I gave away free. My DD and her DH put an offer on a new house and wrote in the offer that all of the new matched appliances remain. This meant that they gave us back the 3 year old set that we bought her when she graduated college.

And the buyer of the house they sold asked that they leave the portable kitchen island. They didn’t have space in the new house so they accepted that as part of the deal.
And the title company was calling me like every hour that day to see if they had been removed yet. My mom's house was 5 minutes from the Title company, and when the refrigerator, washer and dryer were removed, I called the Title company, and they had the check waiting for me and had recorded the sale in the time it took me to drive there.
Well sure, your buyer won’t close until everything not part of the deal is removed. It doesn’t always mean that they couldn’t have been included.
Maybe it varies by state, but I think you can at least let buyers know that they’re negotiable.

Nice option. We can put junk out once a year, but appliances are prohibited. We can drop off appliances at the dump for free, but we have to get them there. And a limit of two per trip. Other than my mom's house, I have only gotten rid of appliances when i bought new ones and the retailer includes removal of the old appliances are part of the sale.

From our County Refuse website
  • Take large appliances like refrigerators, washers, dryers, stoves, ovens and dishwashers to the North Area Recovery Station or Kiefer Landfill. County residents may drop off up to two large appliances per day for no charge.
Thinking about it appliances may be exempt. I've never tossed an appliance. When we bought a new fridge and stove we sold one and the other one we had someone pick up for scrap.

Very common to have the appliances included in the sale of a home - watch House Hunters and they discuss it all the time.

Well sure, your buyer won’t close until everything not part of the deal is removed. It doesn’t always mean that they couldn’t have been included.
LOL. Nobody wanted the washer, dryer and refrigerator, not even the person buying the house. Although the junk hauler said he usually set aside the "good" appliances he picked up for people who needed them.
Just struck me as odd as the only hangup in settling my mom's estate were those darn appliances.
Well, I did panic when the Escrow officer at the start of the process questioned the trust my mom had. It was only 4 paragraphs long. He said they are usually dozens of pages long. He faxed it to their lawyer. Lawyer called him and said it was perfectly legal and complete. The lawyer says the County used to have those trust forms for people so they could set up their own trusts. That was BEFORE lawyers complained that the County was providing a service for free that they were charging $1,000 for.

I have a husband that does not like to let go, e.g. models he bought and partially built but are just sitting in the garage for 10 years. The garage sends me into anxiety the minute I enter it. I don't even like going out to grab an extra gallon of milk etc. I know he keeps buying extra nails, screws, tools etc because he can't find it in the mess he has created. I love him dearly but ARGHHHHH.
We're almost done cleaning our garage. Took me almost two weeks to organize and sort thru all the nails, screws, etc. Lots We're thrown out. The rest are now in 3 storage units just for that purpose. Will need to better organize them in the future but it's a start. DH likes that he can now find things.

then were i to sell my house the new owner would walk in to find it absent-

my bosch dishwasher and built in convection microwave, garbage disposal, hot tub, master bath spa tub, timer systems for landscape watering and my gas fireplace since all have plugs.

then were i to sell my house the new owner would walk in to find it absent-

my bosch dishwasher and built in convection microwave, garbage disposal, hot tub, master bath spa tub, timer systems for landscape watering and my gas fireplace since all have plugs.
Just ignore that most are bolted to the structure. But it is interesting. Light fixtures are part of the sale. The light bulbs in them, are not under the law.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!