Accommodations for Handicap

wgreer

Earning My Ears
:rolleyes1 I will be sailing on the Disney Magic (Easter Carribean) in a few weeks. I am handicap and use a scooter or walker to get around. Does anyone have any suggestions on items to brings or know of accommodations that are available if you are handicap? Are the buses Disney owns handicap accessible? I do have a room that is handicap accessible and have arranged for a scooter to be delivered to the ship. I'm really looking for lessons learned from others who are handicap or have traveled with family/friends that are handicap.

Thanks for your comments/suggestions.
Billy

My DM is handicapped, and will be bringing her walker this trip, we always stay in 6147, which is an inside cat 11 with a double bed and a sofa, with a roll in shower, with seat and emergency call buttons all over the room. Lots of room for storing a wheelchair or scooter. All the theaters had seating for those in wheelchairs or with walking issues, it is at the back of the theatre. I don't know about the buses, this is the first time we will be bringing the walker, and we are taking a towncar this time.

If you're using DCL transportation, there's a spot on your online cruise docs to specify if you need a wheelchair lift assisted bus. I think you'll be fine.

If you need a handicap-accessible room, you need to contact DCL as soon as possible. They'll need to see if one is available for you. They do have a medical form that they'll send out to you, to be signed by your doctor, in order to book an accessible room...unless the ship isn't full, then they may be able to place you w/o the form.
But all of that should be done months in advance....so contact them a.s.a.p.

:rolleyes1 I will be sailing on the Disney Magic (Easter Carribean) in a few weeks. I am handicap and use a scooter or walker to get around. Does anyone have any suggestions on items to brings or know of accommodations that are available if you are handicap? Are the buses Disney owns handicap accessible? I do have a room that is handicap accessible and have arranged for a scooter to be delivered to the ship. I'm really looking for lessons learned from others who are handicap or have traveled with family/friends that are handicap.

Thanks for your comments/suggestions.
Billy

Hi Billy - I have sailed with my Mom in the accessible cabins several times on Magic and once on Wonder, (7636, 7638, 7138 and I can't remember the others). My suggestion is watch the bathroom floor after showers. The water goes everywhere and it can get very slick. The grab bars (on 2 sides) and shower seat are easy to use. The shower head is attached to a hose for those hard to reach places :rolleyes1 . Haven't taken the buses for a few years, sorry. HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter