Accommodating Grandparents

But why couldn't the grandparents just go to the parents room to do the babysitting? I've made once trip where my DD and family were three doors away at POP. A few times, I got the early riser baby and took her back to my room, so the rest could still sleep.

Oh I'm sure they could, but it was just nice for them to have a space to hang out in once my son went to bed at 7:30/8:00. Heck it was nice for all of us on the nights we didn't go out.

Oh I'm sure they could, but it was just nice for them to have a space to hang out in once my son went to bed at 7:30/8:00. Heck it was nice for all of us on the nights we didn't go out.

I understand what you're saying........George you're breathing too loud, stop it, you'll wake the baby, and don't you dare open that can of soda!!..... so the grandparents are sitting like statues for fear of waking a sleeping baby who is less 10 ft away.

Here's the thing...unless you have an unlimited budget, no one solution is going to be 'perfect'! You could try renting a two bedroom villa but as you said, it's really hard to cancel or make changes. So, unless you are 100% sure, don't do it. I would actually suggest trying to get two connecting rooms at Pop, or an All Star resort. The grandparents can be right next to you, and still have their own space. I would even be tempted to keep the two rooms the entire 10 days. That way, you can send the kids next door and you and your dh can have privacy for those four days!!
And I agree...go without the dining plan.

What is everyone's feelings on split stays? I'm wondering if i split up where we stay during the different phases of our trip and then we get to sample multiple resorts that interest us. Would this be a logistic nightmare or take away from my trip?

I had looked into it for spring break (we have early one, so discounts are there, but it's still mid March), and my sister got a BWV through Disney less than renting points would be. So, honestly, two rooms is still cheaper than doing this!

And I still agree with you. If I go with my kids and their family, I'd want at minimum, my own room with a door and my own bathroom and privacy.

I have two rooms at All Star Sports for me and my DD (special circumstances), and she decided last week to bring a friend. So, they get their own room with two beds, and I get my own connecting room (it's guaranteed with our room type). I'm not even sharing a room with my kid and her friend for 8 nights. I like my privacy and quiet, and they are also the type that like to sleep in!

It's not a vacation if I have to share a bedroom with others.

Just so you know, connecting rooms are never guaranteed.

What is everyone's feelings on split stays? I'm wondering if i split up where we stay during the different phases of our trip and then we get to sample multiple resorts that interest us. Would this be a logistic nightmare or take away from my trip?

For a 10 night trip? Yes, go for the split! Split stays are relatively easy, IMHO. On departure day at your first resort, simply give your luggage to bell services and ask them to transfer it to your second resort and then go about your day! We typically go to a park, spend the day and then head to the second resort when we are done touring. Luggage typically arrives at the second resort late afternoon. Honestly, it feels just like a regular park day except we head back to a different resort when we are done touring. It's a great way to experience different resorts!

How many different resort stays are you contemplating? Three in 10 days? If so, then my answer would be no. So much time spent repacking, unpacking, out of the room by 11 AM, not in a new room until 3 PM or later, very little time to get your bearings at each resort. I'd only do it if I were traveling on an adults trip and was familiar with each of the resorts.

Two resorts in 10 days is more reasonable. You only have to pack up and move once, which means only spending one afternoon "homeless". But that doesn't solve the issue of having one set of GPs at the beginning of your stay and the other at the end if your goal is to scale back the size of your room in between.

Last edited:
I guess it's time for a family sit down. I'm trying to include both sets of grandparents so there aren't any hard feelings plus have a vacation for our family of 4 (something we have never had). I'm also trying to make so everyone can fly out of our local airport which is Alligent and they only have flights on Wednesdays and Saturdays. It would be easier if I could get grandparents back to back.

Based on your name, and your post: Don't do a split stay.

I already think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. It sounds like you're trying ti include everyone, make things equal, etc. But already, the grandparents who are there the second 5 days will miss "first time seeing Mickey!" "first time seeing the castle!" etc.

Trying to split stay on a first visit, I think, is a mistake.

I guess it's time for a family sit down. I'm trying to include both sets of grandparents so there aren't any hard feelings plus have a vacation for our family of 4 (something we have never had). I'm also trying to make so everyone can fly out of our local airport which is Alligent and they only have flights on Wednesdays and Saturdays. It would be easier if I could get grandparents back to back.
What if Grandparents A were to fly to Orlando with you, departing on a Wednesday? They could then leave for home that Saturday. Grandparents B fly down Saturday and depart the following Wednesday.

You rent a villa or book a 2-room suite at a Value resort for Wed. - Wed. Grandparents get the bedroom. You and the kids get the foldout beds. After checking out, grandparents B head home and you move to a single room at a Value Resort of your choice until Saturday.

Based on your name, and your post: Don't do a split stay.

I already think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. It sounds like you're trying ti include everyone, make things equal, etc. But already, the grandparents who are there the second 5 days will miss "first time seeing Mickey!" "first time seeing the castle!" etc.

Trying to split stay on a first visit, I think, is a mistake.

I am trying to make everyone happy and I'm quickly realizing it's not possible. I was considering just doing the four of us for simplicity but I also don't want to deny anyone those memories of multiple generations.

Maybe I don't understand the situation completely, but why don't you tell both sets of grandparents that you are taking your family to WDW for 10 days, give them your dates and then tell both sets of grandparents that they are welcome to come join your family for the trip if they want to (but that they will need their own rooms, you can help them book it if need be). That way the grandparents can go if they want, figure out if they want to stay the whole time or just part of the time, etc.) and you can basically plan your families vacation knowing that you extended the offer to both sets of grandparents without favoring either.

I understand what you're saying........George you're breathing too loud, stop it, you'll wake the baby, and don't you dare open that can of soda!!..... so the grandparents are sitting like statues for fear of waking a sleeping baby who is less 10 ft away.

Ha exactly!! We try to stick to our kids bedtimes when we travel, so that's what works for us. I guess if the kids go to bed later then being in the same room isn't so bad :-)

Maybe I don't understand the situation completely, but why don't you tell both sets of grandparents that you are taking your family to WDW for 10 days, give them your dates and then tell both sets of grandparents that they are welcome to come join your family for the trip if they want to (but that they will need their own rooms, you can help them book it if need be). That way the grandparents can go if they want, figure out if they want to stay the whole time or just part of the time, etc.) and you can basically plan your families vacation knowing that you extended the offer to both sets of grandparents without favoring either.

I think this is exactly what I'm going to have to do. A lot less stressful then trying to develop the "perfect" circumstances

As a grandparent myself I'd recommend everyone having their own space. I take dd and my grands every year and stay Poly or GF but on the couple of occasions that DH & DSIL have made the trip (they aren't Disney fans) I've booked 2 rooms at POFQ. It's worked well. It's a small resort. One bus stop. Cheaper than a villa and has a boat to Disney Springs. Also has a neat pool & splash pad. I always ask for building 4 as it's right by the bus stop & food court. It'll be a bit more for 2 rooms as opposed to getting a suite at AOA but it's not that much more & I think it'd make your trip much more enjoyable!

Totally agree with you - we love sharing holidays with family but always have our own room - I would thoroughly recommend POFQ too as we love the boat ride to DS.

Honestly, being your first trip I say go just your family of 4! Book your next trip with Grandparents! We've had two family trips, one as a family of 4 and one as a family of 5. Now, we're traveling in November with one set of grandparents. I'd not want my family's first trip to be one where it is so important to make other people happy!

Honestly, being your first trip I say go just your family of 4! Book your next trip with Grandparents! We've had two family trips, one as a family of 4 and one as a family of 5. Now, we're traveling in November with one set of grandparents. I'd not want my family's first trip to be one where it is so important to make other people happy!
The higher the stakes, the riskier it ends up. Kid melts down with Mickey, grandparent doesn't have the steam, kid doesn't have the steam, whatever, and all of a sudden it feels like a failure.

One of my trips, one of my kids would have been happy just riding the monorail loop all day. I had the liberty to be able to say, "okay, let's do this." She fell asleep, which was awesome. We didn't have to make anyone happy and we didn't freak out about cost or timing, we just said something mildly obscene and went with it.

I highly recommend having flexible expectations. When the kids get there, you never know what's going to go down. Kids are weird little beings.

You mention Allegiant is the only direct airline out of your local airport. I have the same situation, and I've begrudgingly taken the Allegiant flight a few times. But I've also done a connecting flight in Atlanta. Can the grandparents do a connecting flight somewhere so the travel days are more flexible? If they fly into MCO, they could take the Magival Express and not have to worry about how to get to the resort, too.

Also note that with Allegiant, if they cancel the flight, you're basically SOL. My sister was supposed to fly to FL to visit her in laws back in December. Allegiant cancelled the flight and there wasn't another flight scheduled until like 2 or 3 days later. At that point, they just nixed the trip. There ant a lot of recourse with them if something goes wrong.

So
You mention Allegiant is the only direct airline out of your local airport. I have the same situation, and I've begrudgingly taken the Allegiant flight a few times. But I've also done a connecting flight in Atlanta. Can the grandparents do a connecting flight somewhere so the travel days are more flexible? If they fly into MCO, they could take the Magival Express and not have to worry about how to get to the resort, too.

Also note that with Allegiant, if they cancel the flight, you're basically SOL. My sister was supposed to fly to FL to visit her in laws back in December. Allegiant cancelled the flight and there wasn't another flight scheduled until like 2 or 3 days later. At that point, they just nixed the trip. There ant a lot of recourse with them if something goes wrong.

Allegiant is the only local airline (airport 15 mins away and it’s a direct flight). The next closest airport is 2 hours away and flights I’ve compared have Allegiant considerable cheaper especially when you multiple by 4! You make a valid point for me to consider though as we plan to travel January or February 2018. If my flight gets canceled due to weather I’d have to wait days for a flight or likely end up at other airport on a whole new flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter