ABD China 2017

We were in China from July 2 - 18 last year (Beijing, Xi'an, Chengdu, Yangshuo, Shanghai) and weren't bothered at all by air pollution. The sky was definitely not bright blue, so the pollution is visible, but it did not bother us to breathe the air (no respiratory issues or itchy eyes, etc.).

This was basically our experience too. Beijing actually had a couple of clear days with blue skies, but that was after a night of rain. Pollution was the thickest visually in Xian.

I've been tracking the air quality in Beijing and am bringing a smog mask just in case. I ordered one from Vogmask and am extremely pleased with the product. Small would fit children. I ordered medium for my small-ish adult face. The mask is soft and comfortable and there are lots of nice patterns to choose from. It molds to my face, providing a good seal against environmental toxins, if needed. Maybe if I get the word out I won't be the only one in the group looking semi-silly (but safe)!o_O
Can you share a link? I'm an over-planner and want to get some as a just-in-case for our October Trip!

Yay!! Just got my Visa for China!! I went through the company that ABD suggested (CIBT) and they did a really great job. Pretty easy overall.

That much closer to my ABD!!

Sayhello
Question! Did you use their concierge service or do it yourself through CIBT? We got passport pics done but NOW I see the size is wrong. GAH! Visas always stress me out because I'm afraid they'll lose our passports or won't let us in the country. My husband finally took over our Vietnam visa application because I was a nutterball! hahah

Question! Did you use their concierge service or do it yourself through CIBT? We got passport pics done but NOW I see the size is wrong. GAH! Visas always stress me out because I'm afraid they'll lose our passports or won't let us in the country. My husband finally took over our Vietnam visa application because I was a nutterball! hahah
I did it myself through CIBT. I called CIBT at one point to walk me through some questions I had about the forms and the woman there pretty much told me if I followed their checklist, I was good & the Concierge service wasn't necessary (she stopped just short of saying it was a waste of money).

What I did about the photos was, I went to CVS for the pictures, and asked them to leave them uncut. Then I sent the larger photos to CIBT, and they trimmed them themselves. CVS gave me multiple pics, and CIBT sent the ones they didn't use back with my passport. There's a page in the "kit" they send you that is pretty explicit about what they want picture-wise (ie, size, shoulders showing, ears showing, no smiling, etc).

Speaking of the "kit", make sure you call CIBT and tell them that you are going with ABD, and give them the ABD account # (I'll find that when I get home). They'll send you a "kit" (a pdf) that has all the forms you'll need (plus some you won't unless you do the concierge service) pre-populated with the info about ABD. I mentioned earlier, the only thing they didn't mention was that they need a copy of your flight itinerary to show you actually have a flight scheduled to leave China when you say you are. The email from ABD that shows the hotels & internal flights didn't have *my* flight info on it.

You really can't start the process until 3 months prior to your trip (CIBT didn't have the "kit" for me until then). They sent me a generic one so I could at least get started getting stuff together.

I have to admit, even though there really was no reason for it, I was pretty nervous they wouldn't grant the Visa. It was a big relief when they did.

I was also pretty nervous about letting my passport out of my possession, but I really didn't have an option, as there isn't an embassy or consulate anywhere near me. But it all worked out in the end. :)

Sayhello

Last edited:
What are your dates for ABD China?

September 3rd to 14th.
It's challenging arriving at noon with the group to Shanghai Disneyland because the FastPasses seem to be gone by then. I noticed a "Disney Premier Access" option mentioned recently, which I hope is available when I go as it would answer a lot of problems.

September 3rd to 14th.
It's challenging arriving at noon with the group to Shanghai Disneyland because the FastPasses seem to be gone by then. I noticed a "Disney Premier Access" option mentioned recently, which I hope is available when I go as it would answer a lot of problems.
I am assuming ABD will give us some Fastpasses at Shanghai Disneyland as they have done in the past at HKDL, but I could be wrong. We are planning on purchasing the "Premiere Access" pass on one of our post ABD days when we will visit Shanghai Disneyland on our own.

I am assuming ABD will give us some Fastpasses at Shanghai Disneyland as they have done in the past at HKDL, but I could be wrong. We are planning on purchasing the "Premiere Access" pass on one of our post ABD days when we will visit Shanghai Disneyland on our own.
I'm assuming this, too :) I believe the winter ABD group that ditched the regular itinerary for SD had some pixie dust in this regard. I'd be surprised if the regular tours don't. I think we're going to purchase that, too, on our post day.

I'm assuming this, too :) I believe the winter ABD group that ditched the regular itinerary for SD had some pixie dust in this regard. I'd be surprised if the regular tours don't. I think we're going to purchase that, too, on our post day.

Just be aware that the FP lines at both Soarin' and Tron were 90 minutes long past 11:00am (when we arrived at opening Tron quickly went to 30 minutes and Soarin' was 40 minutes -- we made a pit stops to see Duffy and Mickey before hitting the rides :)). Our private guide said the lines can go up to 120 minutes later in the day. Also there is no FP line for Pirates and that is a very long queue as well. The distance between rides is also a bit of a challenge (they are quite spread out). Plan your time accordingly to what you prioritize. The ones I mentioned (Tron, Soarin' and Pirates) are probably the most popular.

Last edited:
Just be aware that the FP lines at both Soarin' and Tron were 90 minutes long past 11:00am (when we arrived at opening Tron quickly went to 30 minutes and Soarin' was 40 minutes -- we made a pit stops to see Duffy and Mickey before hitting the rides :)). Our private guide said the lines can go up to 120 minutes later in the day. Also there is no FP line for Pirates and that is a very long queue as well. The distance between rides is also a bit of a challenge (they are quite spread out). Plan your time accordingly to what you prioritize. The ones I mentioned (Tron, Soarin' and Pirates) are probably the most popular.

We seem to have had a slightly better experience with Tron and Pirates. We did a private tour our first day at Shanghai DL, so luckily got to do all the rides we wanted to do with our guide. Our second day we were on our own. We went right to the Tron FP distribution when we arrived at the park (probably around 9:30 a.m., but I can't remember the exact time) and were able to get the FP. We did not have to wait longer than 20 minutes or so in the actual FP line to ride Tron. However, by the time we used our Tron FP and were eligible for another, the FPs for Soarin' were long gone for the day and the standby wait was 150 minutes! But the Pirates standby wait was *only* 30 minutes, which wasn't too bad. Tron and Pirates were our favorite rides at Shanghai DL. Pirates is totally different from the DL and WDW versions, and Tron is one of the coolest rides I have ever experienced.

I was listening to the TDR podcast where he covers Shanghai. It was a nice trip report. He mentioned that Soarin' was the only heavy line. Granted this was probably in the Spring. But he said Tron and Pirates both had pretty reasonable lines. He also mentioned people scalping fast passes and selling counterfeit Disney merch... in the park!

Yes! I heard that is why Shanghai Disney is now selling the "Premiere Access Pass" to try to put the fast pass sellers out of business. It is good on 7 rides or you can purchase for individual rides. I think we will skip Soarin' (unless we get the Premiere Pass) since we have been fortunate enough to experience it at DLR and WDW. I have heard of people waiting an hour in the morning to get a Soarin' fast pass.

Yes! I heard that is why Shanghai Disney is now selling the "Premiere Access Pass" to try to put the fast pass sellers out of business. It is good on 7 rides or you can purchase for individual rides. I think we will skip Soarin' (unless we get the Premiere Pass) since we have been fortunate enough to experience it at DLR and WDW. I have heard of people waiting an hour in the morning to get a Soarin' fast pass.

Soarin' does have a different ending at Shanghai DL than it does at DL and WDW, if that matters at all to you.

Soarin' does have a different ending at Shanghai DL than it does at DL and WDW, if that matters at all to you.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. We figure if we run out of time, Soarin' would be one of the attractions that we could skip. Otherwise, I would love to see a third ending! I hear Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is also very similar to WDW so it is also a potential skip if necessary.

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. We figure if we run out of time, Soarin' would be one of the attractions that we could skip. Otherwise, I would love to see a third ending! I hear Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is also very similar to WDW so it is also a potential skip if necessary.

I have not done SDMT at WDW so can't compare (yet anyway; I've got a FP for it tomorrow night!), but it was not my favorite ride at Shanghai DL, so totally agree it can be skipped if necessary.

The only attractions with Fast Pass in HK Disneyland are Winnie the Pooh, Hyperspace Mountain and Iron Man Experience. I am hoping they give us all three??

In 2014 they gave us FP's for Winnie the Pooh and Space Mt. I think we used it for Winnie the Pooh, but we did not have enough time to get over to Tomorrowland. We spent most of our time around Big Grizzly Mountain and Mystic Manor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter