AAA inside park discount changed

Hi,
When I was there 3 weeks ago, I was told that the discount did not work in the WWoHP.
Within US/IoA as a whole, I was told that I needed the voucher indicating that I purchased my admission tickets from AAA.
Also within US/IoA, I was also told that purchases had to be over $50. (That was probably the one time my purchase was < $50 and I might've been able to pull it off. lol)

So I was denied at every attempt, but had tried and tried. :) So, it's worth the tries, but don't expect it. Have a great trip.

thanks for sharing your personal experience with the AAA card.
i'm sure those that are still wondering will know now that it is the new policy.

i have always switched out from my AAA and AP cards throughout the years.
i'm good to go as long as AP perks don't change.

yea, i read on other threads sometime back the charges had to be $50 and up to be allowed to get the AAA discount (10%)

Ok here is what I found out today. I visited the local AAA office today and I spoke with them. There has been no change from AAA in discount relationship with Universal according to them. She said you do not have to buy your tickets from them to get discount just show your AAA card. I asked her if there was a voucher attached to tickets purchased from them and she said no. The only thing that is on the paper with tickets is a reminder that as a AAA member you can get as much as 25% off merchandise on purchases over $75.00. It is not a voucher with a scannable code just a reminder. I also called Universal and was told after being on hold as the Rep did the research that with your AAA card you could receive 10% off food and beverages at participating restaurants and 10% off purchases of at least $50.00 and 15% off purchases of $75.00 0r more at participating stores. She said she did not see exclusions from WWoHP. I do remember last year that they were not giving discounts on anything below $50.00 that was a change from the previous year.

We were there 2 weeks ago and couldn't use our AAA card either in the parks. We were able to use it at Cowfish & Margaritaville, though.

I have downloaded the Universal mobile app, but I can't find anything about the American Express discount on the App.....can someone give me direction on finding this on the App.....I understand that most people never have to show this....but I know I would be the exception and get quizzed on it....appreciate any help

IF you go to the AAA site and try to buy tickets, it directs you to a AAA page on the universal vacations site http://www.universalorlandovacations.com/GeneralInformation/aaaVacations.aspx, which states the following re: discounts:

"Members receive additional savings at Universal Orlando† when they pre-purchase tickets or vacation packages through AAA/CAA!**

• 10% off at participating food/beverage locations in the parks
  • 10% off merchandise with a minimum purchase of $50.00 at participating locations
  • 15% off merchandise with a minimum purchase of $75.00 at participating locations
  • 10% off at participating Universal CityWalk® locations
  • 10% off at the Palm Restaurant, located at the Hard Rock Hotel®^^

All discounts are based on pre-tax amount and expire on December 31, 2015, cannot be combined with any other offers, promotions or discounts, are subject to change without notice and additional restrictions may apply. Discounts do not apply to: prior purchases, sales items, Universal Express Passes, the Universal Dining Plan, the Coca-Cola Freestyle® Souvenir Cup, the purchase of Universal Orlando Gift Cards, alcohol, tobacco, tattoos or services associated with tattoos, candy, film, collectibles or sundry items. Discounts are not valid at food and merchandise carts or outdoor kiosks, at any restaurant and merchandise locations located in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™, or at Universal Orlando airport locations.

**AAA Discounts & Rewards benefits applicable to AAA/CAA member and up to five people. Must present valid AAA/CAA membership card and AAA Discounts & Rewards ticket at the register at time of purchase.

^^10% discount off food only. Discount does not apply to parties of eight (8) guests or more, excludes alcohol and gratuities. Not valid on holidays or special events."

Members receive savings at Universal Orlando® when they pre-purchase tickets or vacation packages through AAA* as well as the following in-park AAA Discounts & Rewards.**

AAA member savings:

Save $20 off Gate Price on all Multi-Day tickets at AAA.com/universal
10% off participating food/beverage locations in the parks
10% off merchandise with a minimum purchase of $50.00 at participating locations
15% off merchandise with a minimum purchase of $75.00 at participating locations
10% off at participating Universal CityWalk® locations^
10% off at the Palm Restaurant,† located at the Hard Rock Hotel®10% off at the Palm Restaurant, located at the Hard Rock Hotel®
15% off the Mandara Spa†† located at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel
10% off Blue Man Group Orlando Tickets◊
One (1) FREE Universal Orlando CityWalk Party PassSM with the purchase of One (1) Universal Orlando CityWalk Party Pass

**Discounts based on pre-tax amount and expires 12/31/15, cannot be combined with any other offers, promotions or discounts Subject to change without notice; additional restrictions may apply. Discounts do not apply to: prior purchases, sales items, Universal ExpressSMPasses, the Universal Dining Plan, the Coca-Cola Freestyle® Souvenir Cup, purchase of Universal Orlando Gift Cards, alcohol, tobacco, tattoos or services associated with tattoos, batteries, film, collectibles, books/media or sundry items. Not valid at food carts or outdoor kiosks, at any restaurant and merchandise locations located in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™.

No where does it actually say that tickets are required for discount. To me that sounds like discount on tickets and discounts for being AAA members. Mine is straight from AAA site...

Also previous poster already clarified with their AAA office there is no "Discounts and Rewards ticket" so---sounds like a typical "Disney" left hand doesn't know what right hand intends-expected more of Universal:confused3:rotfl:

Ok searched further and in another area says "must purchase tickets in advance to receive discounts on tickets, food and merchandise" BUMMER; still awaiting Universal's response:)

We are getting 2/3 of our Universal tickets through airmiles but planning to look around at the cheapest option for the third. I guess I'll grab one of my parents and head on down to CAA and see as well. :)

During our April vacation I was only able to get discounts with my annual pass, AAA and AMEX were turned down every time, a change since my last visit July 2014. I couldn't get a discount buying tickets for my family with the annual pass either. Seemed like lots of requirements to get discounts, I can't.even remember all the things I was told!

It would be nice if they would add to their fine print "you can pick up your AAA Discount & Rewards card here" UGH.

Nobody seems to know where to get this new voucher card.

As a person who is very familar with the way tickets are sold at AAA :rolleyes1 the "voucher" is printed when the ticket receipt is printed. It's a piece of paper that you show along with your membership card to get the discounts that were listed by Monykalyn above.

AAA member savings:

10% off participating food/beverage locations in the parks
10% off merchandise with a minimum purchase of $50.00 at participating locations
15% off merchandise with a minimum purchase of $75.00 at participating locations
10% off at participating Universal CityWalk® locations^
10% off at the Palm Restaurant,† located at the Hard Rock Hotel®10% off at the Palm Restaurant, located at the Hard Rock Hotel®
15% off the Mandara Spa†† located at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel
10% off Blue Man Group Orlando Tickets◊
One (1) FREE Universal Orlando CityWalk Party PassSM with the purchase of One (1) Universal Orlando CityWalk Party Pass

**Discounts based on pre-tax amount and expires 12/31/15, cannot be combined with any other offers, promotions or discounts Subject to change without notice; additional restrictions may apply. Discounts do not apply to: prior purchases, sales items, Universal ExpressSMPasses, the Universal Dining Plan, the Coca-Cola Freestyle® Souvenir Cup, purchase of Universal Orlando Gift Cards, alcohol, tobacco, tattoos or services associated with tattoos, batteries, film, collectibles, books/media or sundry items. Not valid at food carts or outdoor kiosks, at any restaurant and merchandise locations located in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™.

Well just off the phone with Universal guest relations- according to her you do NOT need to have purchased tickets from AAA to get the discount. I mentioned that there were reports of guests in parks and recently back stating they did not get the discount without this supposed voucher - she said to ask for manager if that happens. She did say WWoHP is excluded from most discounts including merchandise.

But as we all know- CM/TMs are often way out of loop when it comes to changes

It sound like the change has been put in place, and the people who most need to know about it - the people running the registers who actually give the discounts - know about it. But the information is still trickling it's way back to everyone else at Universal and AAA. But my experience a few weeks ago was that the automatic AAA membership discount for food/merchandise was no longer being offered.

This is a porton of what printed when tickets were sold today if anyone wants to see what the voucher looks like...

ETA - The change went into effect 1/1/15 but was not enforced until April 1 to allow the change to trickle down properly. :-/

Attachments

• IMG_6513.JPG
    IMG_6513.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Like yellowfish78, I purchased my tickets in late April through AAA and the "discounts & rewards ticket" was included as an separate piece of paper.

Thanks for the information on AAA. I will be purchasing my tickets from them this week. I think it's sad that they have decided to to change the rules. One of the perks of having the AAA card were discounts in the park.

For people asking about American Express, here's that website: https://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Park-Tickets/Special-Offers/American-Express.aspx .
That's the discount that I always use as I always pay with my Amex anyway. I have never been asked to show the screen. I used it at The Three Broomsticks and The Leaky Cauldron in February, but I don't know if it's changed since then. I also know that it was good for merchandise in WWOHP this past September, but the purchase had to be over $50.

We print our tickets at the kiosk when we get there, but we did do our entire trip through AAA. So, they AAA extra voucher will print with our tickets at Universal's kiosk? Or should I call my AAA travel agent to get something printed before leaving?
There's nothing in my paperwork right now.

We print our tickets at the kiosk when we get there, but we did do our entire trip through AAA. So, they AAA extra voucher will print with our tickets at Universal's kiosk? Or should I call my AAA travel agent to get something printed before leaving?
There's nothing in my paperwork right now.

The card will print with your tickets at the kiosk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter