A Year of Disney: The Cousins One Before All the Crazy (March 9-10 2020)

After riding RSR we were excited to head to Grizzly River Rapids, which was SIL's biggest must-do, because it was her favorite ride the last time she had been. We stopped out our way out of Carsland because the line wasn't too long for some photopass pics, including the ever-awkward driving one they always try to get you to do in Carsland. (10:15 AM)
szjxHTa.jpg

JvZLytS.jpg

I was so happy GRR was open (since SIL was so excited), and it was nice that it was not warm, and was a little rainy, because it was basically a walk on. We rode twice in a row (10:35) and the cast members let us stay on when we asked (the other group we rode with was cool with it) and then we rode once more (11:05) after running through the line again. C11 was hilarious the first time. She was so nervous! We got wet, but not too soaked, because of our ponchos.
sBf7jaw.jpg

iuliJEH.jpg

mdydZiq.jpg

oriG2ZP.jpg

ftLsJcs.jpg

We were overly ready for a snack, so we stood in the line (just under 10 min) at the churro cart near then entrance to the Grizzly Airfield and got Fluffer Nutter churros. C11 got a little whiny because she just wanted a -regular- churro, and I'm not sure if she actually tried it or not. (Everyone preferred the regulars, just because the specialty ones were so sweet, but I was glad we tried them at least.)
VOVcIaI.jpg

faPXE4V.jpg

We headed to Pixar Pier for our fastpasses on Toy Story Midway Mania (11:50). Everyone enjoyed this one! After that, we made our way round the Pier and the girls grabbed an Onward photo op. :)
UKlx8dc.jpg

I1MFdbB.jpg

29WKcbm.jpg

At Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta we got a bunch of pizza, salad, and pasta, (12:27 PM) and luckily found a more-or-less undercover place to eat, because the rain had really picked up all of a sudden and some people were getting soaked. 😬 We ate for quite a while and waited it out a little. Then we decided we were up for some dessert and made our way up to the front of the park where we got these little beauties to share. C11 got her plain churro instead. It was still rainy, so it was hard to find a place to sit. We had to be vulture-y and watch for people getting up for 8-10 minutes before we scored a seat for 4.
deBkcn8.jpg

JMaca7w.jpg

Last edited:
We had fastpasses for Soarin,' (1:55 PM) so I took the girls, and SIL decided to sit that one out. I don't think her stomach had completely recovered from Guardians earlier in the day, or maybe she remembered that one making her sick before. Anyway, I took them, and we asked for the front middle, and it was totally worth waiting an extra cycle. I just have to say that I was so, so happy to ride the original Soarin' Over California! I have missed that one! (Yes, it was still raining)
crr3kEC.jpg

PmhzCgg.jpg

Me2rTrP.jpg

The girls were ready to split up for a while, and I think SIL and C11 were actually going back to the room to rest for a while, so DD12 and I went and hung out in the Animation building until a drawing class started (3 PM). DD12 is very into drawing and art, and she enjoyed the tutorial on Minnie Mouse.
Y8ufsoL.jpg

YgmT1nR.jpg

KMmeeWw.jpg

It was time for our Guardians fastpass, and since C11 and SIL weren't interested, we had two sets of FP's. Definitely my favorite ride in CA, and we had a great time. My motion sickness wasn't bothering me too much, thankfully. I do best if I get enough rest, don't eat a lot of junk, and take some Bonine... We got the same seats (front row! 3:45 and 4:15) on both rides and had some fun with our pictures.
BbkuC23.jpg

0E5XKNG.jpg

SurfoCb.jpg

wEQAjU1.jpg

GQcfTyj.jpg

CHmmIaF.jpg

DD12 was ready for a snack, so we hit up a popcorn stand that didn't have too long of a line.
V6R7pes.jpg

KXpRKgg.jpg

While eating our popcorn, we made our way over to the Little Mermaid, and watched a fun performance involving chipmunks and lots of kitchen equipment right outside it. They were really good! I think there's some of that in the video. (Which will come at the end) We rode the Little Mermaid (4:55 PM), followed by the Silly Symphony Swings (5:20, another favorite, even if my stomach is less impressed with them than it used to be) and the Emotional Whirlwind (5:40).
QlMCEUn.jpg

UsMAlFf.jpg

6zIz32T.jpg

GpsJeRQ.jpg

jJPGGnk.jpg

DD12 was excited to get something sweet, so we shared a cute springy cake pop from Bing Bong's, then for dinner she got another salad from the boardwalk restaurants while I opted for a tasty corndog.
jy1lXU4.jpg

lEBldvX.jpg

LmEP8MF.jpg

aJ1E6PS.jpg

SIL and C11 were headed back in, so we met up with them and used our FP (so weird) for Monsters, Inc. (7:20) and then took some cute pictures in Hoolywoodland. The girls were ready for something sweet, so we got yet another set of churros (we hit a personal record this trip!) and waited about 15-20 minutes to ride Mater's (8:30) as we ate them.
HmmHljk.jpg

SHD03bb.jpg

1fFtihG.jpg

qpz1ocy.jpg

8VjVEQz.jpg

ZUHeofv.jpg

We had a FP for Toy Story Midway Mania (yay!) so headed over to ride that (8:50) PM.
Hqi0ugl.jpg

hAGI6FW.jpg

WVkzE8F.jpg

Last edited:
Okay guys, here it is. The last entry for this trip! I need to finish it up, since it was nearly 7 months ago now. Which is how long Disneyland has been closed. Nearly 7 months. It seems completely surreal. This trip happened just a few days before it was last open, and I'm so SO glad we planned it for the week we did instead of a week or two later.

For our last ride of the night, we decided we needed to do RSR in the dark. Also, probably the most thrilling ride our companions were up to, since Guardians had been a bit much, and they weren't interested in trying the Incredicoaster. I was all for that - RSR is always a good ride, and it's best experienced at both times of day. What I wasn't excited about is that C11 didn't feel comfortable doing the single rider line, and we didn't have fastpasses. Say it ain't so!! We have been so spoiled with good planning and maxpass (and single rider...) that I rarely wait more than 25-30 minutes in any line at DLR. But this night we waited a full 45 minutes (and rode at 9:55). DD12 and I are a little dramatic, and we almost died. At least it wasn't hot or sunny, but we were tired and footsore after two days in the parks, and were not all about that wait... In good news, there was no one in the single rider line anymore at that point, so we got a really fun picture out of it at least. :) Silver linings, right? And of course the ride was great.
EUCBNn0.jpg

nrGNXy0.jpg

8MZfDhw.jpg

We walked up to watch a World of Color that was already in progress (we had FP's, but I don't remember if we watched from within the crowd or found gaps along the bridge) and watched most of the show, which was a fun way to end the night. We window-shopped just a little and probably bought a few last minute souvenirs, and then rode the Toy Story bus to the lot across-ish from our hotel . (The Cortona Inn and Suites) just after 11 PM.
vY5impP.jpg

And that was it! (We just got up the next morning and headed home) It was a great trip, but I had no idea it would be out last one for months, and months, and months. :-/

Here is the Video Version of this Trip Report, if you're into those things. :)

I have finally given up on knowing when Disneyland is going to be open (and decided to deal with my off and on depression about it) and booked a quick-and-dirty trip to WDW a few weeks ago. I've wanted to go back for years (I last went in 1998, when I was 15, for a school thing) but expected it would be me and my husband, staying at a moderate (gasp) resort and having an awesome week-long explore of all things Disney World. It's always been a bit overwhelming though, all the FP+ and 6 months out and this-is-how-you-must-do-it. So in some ways, this is the best time for me to visit. I don't care THAT much about shows or fireworks, or even meet-and-greets (that you need at FP for??) but am much more interested in the rides, and in just seeing everything. And with how things are right now, without FP at all, everyone's on a more level playing field. So I'm gonna go check it out. When I get that trip report started, I'll post a link here, for those who are interested. :)

That is a really sweet ride photo on RSR!

Can't wait to hear about your trip to WDW. Hope you have a great time! We made the switch as well for early November. It was sad to give up on DLR for this year but I'm super excited for WDW, and I agree that I'm looking forward to a more (hopefully) laid-back vacation without having to follow the FP+/ADR schedule so obsessively. Not that I'm not obsessively planning out ride strategies and whatnot, but... you know what I mean.

That is a really sweet ride photo on RSR!

Can't wait to hear about your trip to WDW. Hope you have a great time! We made the switch as well for early November. It was sad to give up on DLR for this year but I'm super excited for WDW, and I agree that I'm looking forward to a more (hopefully) laid-back vacation without having to follow the FP+/ADR schedule so obsessively. Not that I'm not obsessively planning out ride strategies and whatnot, but... you know what I mean.

I'm excited for you! Even if it's not perfect, I think our standards are fairly low right now, since no one has been able to Disney-it-up since March, and I've already decided to just enjoy it all! I'm trying not to obsess over planning, but it's so weird trying to have a strategy in my head when I don't have any pictures in my head of how to even find anything, haha! I have 2 more weeks to figure some of that out and study the maps/youtube videos.

It looks like you had an awesome trip! Thanks for sharing all your pictures and video and I look forward to seeing your TR for WDW!

It looks like you had an awesome trip! Thanks for sharing all your pictures and video and I look forward to seeing your TR for WDW!
Thanks for reading! I cant believe how long ago it was... My TR for WDW is in progress and located HERE!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!