A vent: taking dd out of school for WDW

sleepyone

DIS Veteran
I followed a link on this site and found a great letter, or so I thought, to send to my dd's teacher. I changed some things in the letter so that it would apply to dd. I sent the letter to the teacher today about our upcoming trip to WDW so that the she would have time to prepare a work folder for my dd to do on our way to WDW. I wrote that dd would be learning about using maps on the drive to WDW and in the parks, math (budgeting her money), other cultures, science & technology (Epcot), and nature and conservation at Animal Kingdom. My dd said the teacher laughed when she read the letter and showed another teacher. I guess she thinks there's nothing to learn at WDW which isn't correct because dd did learn alot from our last trip.

We plan on taking our DS-7th grade and DD 5th grade out for two weeks next Dec-Figure that they will not be too pleased with us but this is the only time we could get off (DH new job) and we also want to stop by Grandpa/ma in NC for an early x-mas-should be interesting as to what they say about this-were did you find the form letter?

when I took my 2 nieces, then 6 & 9. Just because a place is a lot of fun, doesn't mean you (or the kids) can't learn something from it. Some people just don't get it.

Terri

To tell you the truth I laughed at that letter as well - and I do take my kids out of school for WDW! IMHO that letter is way over the top in justification that WDW is an educational experience!!

I value family time and I do think that you can find learning everywhere including WDW to but "sell" it as an educational trip is a bit over the top, IMHO.

I wrote my own letter, explained that we had the opportunity to spend time with extended family at WDW and would be missing XX amount of days from school.

I did not ask the teachers to send work as I did not want to add to the workload but I asked them if they could put assignments aside in a folder for them to do when we returned. I assured the teachers I would spend the time necessary after the trip to make sure the girls did the missed work. I also assured them I would take every learning opportunity we did find and make the most of it. My 8yo's teacher put the work together ahead of time and asked her to keep a daily journal as well. My 10 yo's teacher put the work aside while we were gone and gave her a more than reasonable time to complete it and offered her afterschool time if needed to go over the missed classes.

I am sorry the teacher laughed, she could (should) have been more respectful to you and especially your dd.

TJ

eta - I do love the journal pages and some of the other great info on that site.

Don't take this as a flame...but the teacher probably laughed because it may have sounded like you were going out of your way to make an awesome, fun-filled, family trip to the world sound more like an educational field trip.

Again, not flaming, so please don't flame me. I am just guessing. I didn't see the actual letter. Just imagining why the teacher would react that way.

Yes, you can definitely learn a lot...tons of educational value at the world, but we all know it is FUN, FUN, FUN! Teacher was probably thinking "yeah, sure, going for educational purposes, uh huh." It is kinda funny if you think about it.

Just my HO, but I don't think you owe your teachers (and I am one!) a lengthy explanation. Family time is important. You are vacationing as a family. It is what it is and there is nothing wrong with it! Have fun...live, love, laugh!

sleepyone said:
My dd said the teacher laughed when she read the letter and showed another teacher. I guess she thinks there's nothing to learn at WDW which isn't correct because dd did learn alot from our last trip.[/color][/size][/font][/font]

As a teacher myself, I too might laugh if a parent wrote me a note like you mentioned. Yes, I agree that WDW is a wonderful educational place to vacation but your note probably made the teacher think that you were trying to pull a 'fast one' on her. You were trying to convince the teacher that your child would be learning all these great things while missing school on this trip. It sounds like you were trying to justify taking your child out of school to the teacher. She was probably thinking, "yeah, right." Instead you should have just said that your child would be absent and needs her missed work ahead of time and leave it like that. If you have a good relationship with the teacher (which you should this late in the year) she should have not problem getting your daughters stuff ready before the trip. Now, I'm not trying to say you did the wrong thing, I just think you gave the teacher too much info.

Well, I do plan to use it as an educational experience for my dd. I home schooled her before we moved here and most vacations for us are educational as well as fun. Yes, I used the letter from the link. I copied it to Microsoft Word and edited it and deleted a lot of the letter to make it suit us. Here's what I sent:

DATE: April 15, 2005

TO:

RE:

Ms., _____, ______will be out of school during the week of May 9, 2005. We ask that her absences be excused.

The reason for ___’s absence is that our family will be out of the state during this time. While we are gone, we will be visiting Walt Disney World. We also, plan to see the space shuttle launch while in Florida. We believe that ___ will be learning many things during this trip and that her education will continue in her absence from school.

Some things ___ will learn about:

• Different cultures of the world, by visiting the different countries in the Epcot World Showcase

• Nature and conservation at Animal Kingdom.

• Science in Epcot

• Math by managing her own spending money.

We believe this will be a wonderful and educational experience for ___ and hope you agree not to charge her with unexcused absences as a result. If it is possible for ___ to take any assignments with her to be turned in when we return or to turn in before we leave, please let us know as soon as possible.

Thank you for your attention to this. If you have any questions or need any further information, please feel free to contact me. My phone number is ___.

Sincerely,

Oh well, let her laugh. We'll be having fun (and learning) at WDW while she's busy working in a room with no windows;) .

Daxx's Wife here! I am a teacher and a Disney fanatic and even I know the education you can get out of Disney World. EPCOT, in itself, is one huge learning experience! AK is the same way. And, lots to learn at MK & MGM, too!

With that said, I'm going to guess that the teacher is thinking that you *say* you're going to do these things, but doesn't think you really will. The teacher might think that you're just saying this and not going to do anything but have fun (and thus, not learn b/c according to some, it's not learning if you're having fun) while at WDW. I think that it's important that you show her that your child has learned. Use the Disney journal pages on this website or come up w/some cool project that can show this teacher that Disney can be a wonderful learning tool. It doesn't have to be anything major. Get a passport at EPCOT, have it stamped, etc. and have your child write one fact about each country that was visited. W/AK, do the whole kids booklet thing that they give you ... and take photos of the CM's teaching your child about what's in the book (our most memorable was the what animal was here part!).

To me, family time is very important. Many parents work and don't get to spend a lot of time w/their children. And, even in summer when the kids are on vaca., not every parent can get off of work to take a vacation at that time.

I'm taking DS out of school for 2 days for a Disney vaca. in May. It'll be our Mom and Son trip (for Mother's Day). I had not planned on telling his teacher that we were going to WDW (I was going to call him in as absent due to family vacation) but DS mentioned it to her already. DS said she said "Lucky Disney Boy!" (we took him out for 2 days in Oct. for his bday, too!). If she even thought anything negative, I don't care. If she laughed, I don't care. If she made fun of my decision, I don't care. It's my child, my life, my decisions. I know that he will make up his school work when we get back. And I know that he does well in school, so I'm not concerned. I figure that you only live once and being out of school for a couple of days here or there won't make a huge difference. It's not like he's out for days every month. To me, school IS important ... but so is family. And, yes ... I know that I can take him in the summer and we are. But sometimes, you just have to do fun things when they're not expected.

However, I will not make work packets for my students. They get their work when they come back from vacation. I do this b/c many times, the work packets get lost or left behind and it's really tough to plan weeks ahead just b/c someone is going on a vacation. Even though it might be 3 weeks notice, I don't plan 3 weeks out ... I plan each week the week before it happens. That doesn't give me enough time to get everything together. I feel that the child should come back and learn the materials at their own pace rather than rush through and not really learn b/c they're too focused on vacation. In that spirit I will not ask for DS's assignments that he'll miss while we're away. I think that's putting a teacher out. DS will have to just do double work and catch up when we return. You wanna play, you gotta pay. He knows he'll have to do more work but he's fine w/that.

Ignore the comments and don't think twice about it. You make the decisions when it comes to your family and you'll be making wonderful memories that your daughter will never forget. In 30 years, she prob. won't remember what she did on XYZ day in school but she will remember that on that date, her parents took her to Disney.

and hope you agree not to charge her with unexcused absences as a result.
Adding that this all depends on your state. In my state, vacations are considered illegal/unexcused absences and there's nothing a teacher could do about not charging it as one.

I too am a teacher and I would probably have laughed at that letter (I did when I went to the link and read it) ... but only because it sounds so much like a ... I can't think of the word to describe it, but it doesn't sound like it is very personal in the way it is written. It sounds so "official". I don't have an issue with children going on a vacation. I think it is a great learning experience no matter where you go. Not all learning is "book learning". Life experiences are important too. Family time is precious and any parent that makes an effort to do these kind of holidays with their children is showing his/her children that family is important.

I can remember many family vacations with my parents and brother. We usually left about four or five days before spring break started to get ahead of the rush. These memories are special and can never be taken away. Like the PP said ... I remember the holidays, but I don't remember the days at school that I missed. Did it affect me in the long run? Uhhh ... I don't think so :rolleyes:

As for school work ... a journal at the most! Most times I know I plan for a week at a time for the actual work to be done. It makes my life easier just to put work aside for that student than to try and prepare it all ahead of time.

Go ... have fun ... your child will learn even if you don't always push it as "learning". It is just one of those great life experiences so many kids wish they could have :)

Kerri :sunny:

Being a teacher myself - just a little info. a lot of the time (at least where I'm from) teachers don't even have a choice in the making an absence excused or unexcused - I have to agree with most of the posts - the teacher just has to wonder if all of this in your letters is really going to happen. The accountability factor that teachers have to deal with also needs to be considered when teachers make any decision at all - It's not like when we were in school there are laws about attendance and that all school personnel and parents have to follow!

WDW is very educational and a great place to learn new life skills and have fun - learning while having fun - can't beat that!!

Enjoy your trip :cool1:

Well, I work in education, too, and I'm sorry, I think the letter is over the top. I think if you are pulling your kids out of school, that's your choice. I also think it's perfectly acceptable to request that your child be able to make up the work with no penalty. I have done so myself, and appreciated that teachers allowed my kids to do this.

But, I think it's silly to try and justify it as an educational experience, whether it is or isn't. It's comparing apples and oranges. Of course, travel, by it's very nature, is educational. But it has little to do with the schoolwork and grades.

Regardless, have a great trip!

Julia

It mostly p!ssed me off that the teacher laughed at the letter in front of dd. My dd asked whether I wrote something funny to the teacher & why was the teacher laughing & showing the letter to another teacher. I guess next time I'll write something to the effect of:

Dear Teacher,

My dd will not be in school (these dates). See ya' when we get back.

Signature

That would be shorter and take less energy for her to read and me to type/write. It would also be less formal with the ya' inserted:rolleyes: .

ckckc2000 said:
We plan on taking our DS-7th grade and DD 5th grade out for two weeks next Dec-Figure that they will not be too pleased with us but this is the only time we could get off (DH new job) and we also want to stop by Grandpa/ma in NC for an early x-mas-should be interesting as to what they say about this-were did you find the form letter?
Don't use the form letter apparently teachers think it's amusing:teeth:

I actually like the letter. :teeth:

When I talked to my kids principal about going on a family trip to Disney during the school year (DH can't take vacation when kids are off) it was he who actually told me "there's a lot to be learned from a trip to Disney World.! (I love that man!!)

We did take our kids this year and their first grade teacher told us she wished she could come (while laughing) and asked only that each child keep a journal - which they did. They wrote a page or two each day and I kept a list of all the educational things we did (there were a lot). I also included pictures. She shared the journals with the class upon our return. Best part is that most of the kids and the two teachers are all Disney fans so it was really great.

Before I get flamed I want to acknowledge that I know this can work now in the younger years but that it will become more difficult as they enter higher grades. But we'll enjoy it while it lasts! princess: :wizard:

I also teach, and I agree with all of the above posters, for the reasons that they have already stated. It sound like you are trying a little too hard to justify the trip as being educational. Here in NY state, it is an illegal absence and the teacher cannot change that. I am taking both of my kids to DW this week, for spring break. We are extending our vacation , and they (and I ) will miss 2 days of school.There is no need to go into detail with your child's teacher regarding their absence. They will not be the first or the last student to go to DW during school time. Just write a note saying they were on a family vacaction. The excuse will not be a legal one, but trust me, it will not prevent them from getting into the college of their choice-By sending a letter such as the one that you did, I think you are setting yourself up for stress.You will now feel obligated to meet the "goals" and "objectives" stated in your letter. Relax, have fun . Life is full of learning experiences, it happens even when we are not focussed on it! :flower:

I think that letter is silly. It sounds so ridiculous trying to spell out all these learning opportunities while strolling through the MK! I really don't blame the teacher for laughing. While kids may learn stuff at WDW they can learn anywhere. Would you write the same type of letter if taking the kids to the beach for a week? "Little Johnny will be learning about seashells, ocean waves and the best sunblock to use." It sounds so absurd. In our school community you might learn all kinds of things but it is still an illegal absence.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter