• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Quickie with Mickey! Sep. 2011 Pre-TR **I'm back! 4 Updates page 2-3!**

Wonders10

DIS Veteran
Well, the bug has started to bite me again. My last trip was in March of 2011 (TR link in my signature) and it was a great trip, but it was the first trip in awhile where I left and had no desire to return anytime soon. I’ve heard that actually happens to some people, and this time it was me. But, I’ve started a new job, have no fun adventures planned until next June and would love to just get away to my happy place. But before I get into my trip details (or lack thereof at this point), let me introduce myself if you haven’t read one my reports before. I’m Shannon, age 31, speech pathologist, living in south Florida. Well actually a little north of Palm Beach and 2 hours away from WDW.

Me on my June 2011 cruise:
ry%3D480

Me and my mom on same cruise:
ry%3D480

Back to the trip, pretty much everything is still up in the air at this point except for the dates. Like I said, I just started a new job (2 weeks ago I started working at an inpatient rehab hospital after 3 years in the school system). I do not want to take any time off, but I can finagle my schedule so that I can leave semi-early on Fridays and since I only live 2 hours away, I can get to Disney by dinner time, if not sooner, have an entire day of Disney fun on Saturday, then head back home on Sunday, refreshed and happy. I’m thinking of September 23-25 because its far enough away for me to have something to look forward too and I’m hoping and praying the crowds will not be horrible then. October is my second choice, but I’m really over the crowds at this point.

So, who is coming? Well, it's me and that may be it. I’ve done a solo trip before and I loved it. I like being by myself and not having people to answer to, but the alternative is bringing my mom who I know is trying to cut back financially since we have a big huge vacation extravaganza planned for next year that she is paying for a lot of. I’ve offered to pay for the hotel entirely and have her just pay for her ticket, which she is open too. So time will tell if I will be solo or not. Another option is meeting up with a good friend who lives in Orlando and also happens to have an annual pass. He and I met in 2002 when I did the WDW College Program when we both worked at the Wonders of Life in Epcot. We’ve stayed in touch since, with visits thrown in here and there. He probably wouldn’t stay at the hotel with me, but would meet up with me to do a park, dinner etc.

Second, is our hotel choice. I’m about 75% sure I want my park day to be Epcot, with 25% leaning towards MK. Assuming I choose Epcot, I’d love to stay at an Epcot resort. I stayed at the BC in March and honestly, don’t want to stay there again. YC is nice but doesn’t get me excited so that leaves the BWI. The Dolphin is also an option because you get the perks of the Epcot resorts at half the price but while nice, it doesn’t have the same Disney feel. Then I wonder if I should just stay at a mod, like Port Orleans, so I can have the boat to DTD on my arrival night…Or stay at monorail resort just because I love the monorail resorts but then the convenience to Epcot isn’t as great. Not helping this decision is the fact that I’m really not sure if its going to be my mom and I or just me.

So, with absolutely no plans made…welcome to my trip report!

Shannon, How cool! Anther trip...I am thinking you should pick October 14 so you could take a boat to Downtown Disney for an 8 PM visit to House Of Blues...just an idea...I heard it will be Rocking that night...

Shannon, How cool! Anther trip...I am thinking you should pick October 14 so you could take a boat to Downtown Disney for an 8 PM visit to House Of Blues...just an idea...I heard it will be Rocking that night...

This will just be a quick trip...I'll probably be more exhausted than if I just stayed home for the weekend. But its always nice to just get away.

I would love to see Rachel perform, but I've been in October the past couple years and it just keeps getting more and more crowded (not to scare you) - I'm thinking more of the food and wine festival crowds. And since I don't really care about seeing that this year, I've always wanted to go in September and see if the crowds are really lower, like they say.

I spent a good chunk of time yesterday browsing the various resorts (as if I know nothing about them) trying to figure out prices and what one got me all tingly inside with Disney excitement. I’m pretty much 90% sure I’ll be doing Epcot as my main park day Saturday and I would just love to be able to walk back and forth at my leisure, without dealing with busses. So that pretty much left the Boardwalk, BC, YC, and Swolphin.

Boardwalk – really wanted to stay here but all that was available was a water view or above and I just can’t rationalize spending the extra money on those things.
YC – nice, but feels far out to me
Swolphin – amazing prices compared to Disney but doesn’t give me that same “yay, I’m at Disney World” feeling.
BC – sort of didn’t want to stay here again since I was just here in March. But it is the closest to the BC, they have a garden view room with a FL Res discount, and I would get to use Stormalong Bay.

I called this morning to actually speak to someone, and I have to say I spoke to someone who was a little less than magical. I hate when that happens. But it still go the job done. So, drumroll please….what resort did I choose?

THE BEACH CLUB!

I may keep checking to see if the BWI is available but I really do love the BC and will enjoy the little resort time I have. The dates are the same as I mentioned above – September 23-25. I will be leaving work early on Friday (nothing set in stone, but around noon or 1 would be awesome).

I have been talking to my Orlando friend and that has helped me to decide that I will not be bringing my mom along on this trip (sorry, mom!). She doesn’t really mind, I hope. Not that she’d tell me anyway. I’m going to be heading up solo and hopefully spending some time with a good friend who I haven’t seen in too long. If not, I know I will enjoy my alone time immensely, wandering around my favorite park, Epcot!

I'm here too but I'll be reading off and on. I find that since I'm down here that my "down time" is like nothing lol. Yay for Beach Club :) I'll come stay with you haha :)

haha, I love the title! I am going to be doing my own "quickie with Mickey" too this fall...I have not yet revealed all the details though on my TR so I'm keeping quiet!

I just finally finished your TR - which was wonderful! :goodvibes LOVE your Jim Shore piece! I'm signing on here and excited for you newest trip!

Btw, also looked at your Oasis of the Seas pics...AMAZING! And what an upgrade! :eek: :banana::banana::banana:

I sort of let this thing go, but I will be updating. There's not much in terms of planning, but I'll share info when I get it. I do want to thank all of you for reading, and those who followed me over here from my TR!

I've been chatting a lot more with my Orlando friend and I'm planning a trip in 2 weeks (for the wknd) to stay at his place. We may hit a park too because in other news, I'm considering getting an annual pass! Or at the very least, the FL 3-day play pass since I have a few visits planned and would love to have an excuse to get away in the future too.

For those following the weather, there is a tropical storm coming very close to FL and my part of the state. Please say a prayer it stays far off the coast and brings nothing but some rain...hurricanes and even strong tropical storms are not fun.

Stay tuned for more!

Yay for Disney in 2 weeks!!!!

Our weather here has been going nuts over the storm! We were told to have our emergency plan in place as well as our emergency kit!!!

I'll be praying for you!! :)

Hi everyone!

Hope you all enjoyed your weekend! Your praying must have worked because the tropical storm fizzled out and we didn't get a speck of rain by me all weekend! Well, until now anyway. It's very cloudy and dreary and I've heard some thunder in the distance, but I'll take it anyday over a tropical storm or hurricane.

I'm slightly annoyed with my O-town friend, A. The plan (in my head anyway) was to go up this Friday after work and stay at his place, probably heading to a Disney park on Saturday. While talking to him yesterday, he says he's "poor" (but has an annual pass already :confused3) and rattled off all these things we can do at his place. I love being home, but I like to do stuff too. My life is very boring and if I get a chance to go out of town, I really want to go out and do something! Then out of nowhere, he just stopped texting me, while we were in the middle of a conversation and he hasn't responded to me since. We are very different as far as planning goes and things like having weekend visitors, but I'm questioning if I even want to go up there now. Which isn't the first time this has happened. On the flip side, I'm also considering going up anyway, but getting a hotel, maybe Pop or something (rooms are still available). This way I can just get away, do some Disney, and meet up with A in a park or somewhere if I want. But the cost of that on my end is worrisome to me, especially since I still have the September ressie, which I want to keep.

I will keep you all posted on this upcoming weekend plans, and hopefully I can convince him to do a Disney park!

Sorry to hear that about your friend being a bit flaky! And how awful to just stop returning texts altogether! :headache:

If you do end up at Pop, watch for me! We arrive on Friday night! :teeth:

SO GLAD the tropical storm is over!

So....said friend finally texted me back last night. Completely oblivious to my previous texts. "I was sleeping" :confused3 From 3 in the afternoon Saturday until 8pm on Sunday? Wow, you must have been tired.

It will kill him if I don't come up but I hate when gets like this. I'm still debating going up and also where I'll be...Disney resort or his house.

To be continued...

I know you all are on the edge of your seats about my weekend plans :laughing: I had decided to definitely go up, stay with my friend and we officially made plans for a park on Saturday. Well, until today when that nagging headache and sort of sore throat kicked in and I left work exhausted and feeling like I'm definitely getting sick. So now I may not go because of that...if I still feel gross, going out of town, not getting a good nights sleep will not be a good idea.

In other Disney news, I've decided I'm going to get an annual pass when I finally do make it up there. The Florida resident monthly payment program makes it pretty reasonable. I've also decided to do a Disney blog, where I will chronicle my Disney adventures over the next year, with the goal of visiting once a month! Not only will it include parks but I will focus on little things like resorts, shopping, and restaurants. Sounds like a good idea in theory.

And September is definitely still on! The BC is calling my name!

Happy Sunday!

Those of us in Florida are once again keeping a close eye on a tropical storm/soon to be hurricane that seems to be aiming straight for us. This one seems a lot larger and stronger than the other one a few weeks ago, so if you could spare a few prayers that it stays away, I’d appreciate it. I do not feel hurricane safe in my apartment and going down to my mom’s house means that I have to miss a day or two of work and its just sending me into a panic. I really need to chill haha.

In trip news, the September trip is still on and I cannot wait! The original plan was to leave after work Friday since it is only a 2 hour drive, but I really want to get as much out of my getaway was possible so I may work the Sunday before so that I will have all of Friday off! In that scenario, I’d leave around 8ish Friday morning, then hit MK after checking into the BC!

I have also booked a night at Pop century for November 5th, although I’ll be getting into Orlando the day before and staying at a friend’s house. Yes, the friend I’ve mentioned before. A mutual friend of ours has a yearly birthday bash at Epcot and we will be joining them for all the hoopla. And since we plan on doing some partaking in an adult beverage or 5, we’ve opted to get a room at Pop so we don’t have to worry about driving and designated drivers and all that good stuff. Safety first! I actually wanted to stay at one of the Epcot resorts, but the price for one night wasn’t much more than what I’m paying for 2 nights in September! Crazy, so I just threw out that idea and went the cheap route. We truly will only be there for sleep anyway.

So…that is it for me for the moment. Keep those prayers coming and “think east” to keep that storm away from Florida! Thanks for reading!

I just had the weather on too and saw about the hurricane! Our rain chances from Thurs-Sun just went from nothing to like 60% ugh! Why on the weekends?! I can't wait till your Sept trip!! I just hung out with 2 different Dis'ers this past weekend and we had a blast!

We were in our "oblivious to the real world" bubble last week since we were in WDW, when a friend mentioned the potential hurricane! We had no idea! I hope it fizzles out!!!!

Love the Epcot birthday bash plans, sounds like you all will have a blast!

It looks we had no reason to worry about Irene...it never came to Florida, and where I am, all we had was a windy day with on and off rain. Honestly, I've seen worse during a summer thunderstorm. But, it did wreak havoc along the east coast...hope all of you in her path made it through without too much damage or inconvenience!

I'm here to add another update to what is probably the most boring TR on the DIS :rotfl: Honestly, I just don't have much to plan and I'm so busy at work, that I am just excited to have a trip to look forward too. And since its just going to be me, I can do whatever I feel like doing, when I want to. But do know that an actual trip report will happen after the trip at least! I did contemplate switching resorts to a cheaper one, but all the mods and values are sold out! Even for rack rate! Crazy! I thought this was supposed to be a not so crowded time of year :confused3

I had also mentioned that I plan on getting an annual pass which means a lot of trips (hopefully) and my plan of writing a yearly blog/informational trip report. Basically I will do what I want to do (as part of my vacation), but I will also take requests of places throughout Disney property for me to visit, take lots of pics and gather information about...as much as possible anyway. For example, say a new store opened on Main Street (totally making stuff up), and someone wants to see it, I will go take pictures and write a little review of it.

So if there is anything you all are curious about, feel free to let me know and I'll let you know if I will be able to try to make it happen! Or think about it and post here! I am also going to be posting a separate thread on the Theme Parks Board.

In personal news, I'm going to be restarting Weight Watchers this week. Planning on Saturday since that would be a convenient day for me to go to meetings. Wish me luch! I really need to lose weight, for a lot of reasons and I keep trying without much success. I know WW works, its just me mental state getting in the way. Anyway, wish me luck with that!

That's all for now...thanks for reading!

Haha, we didn't have any bad weather from the hurricane but the last 2 days we've had some wind so I guess it turned around for a day or something lol. What resort did you switch to?? I'm hoping it won't be crazy busy when my parents come in 32 days but it's the first weekend of Food and Wine plus the marathon so a lot of the resorts are filled that weekend and I'm sure they are for Columbus Day Wkd too (I'm not off and I don't think any of the FL schools are off??) YAY FOR THE AP!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't able to switch to anything! I was hoping to downgrade to a value/mod but they are all booked! I'm just surprised because food and wine doesn't start until the following weekend and nothing else major is going on :confused3

Irene is nowhere near us anymore so it must just be some good 'ol summer storms for you guys!

Most if not all schools here are still open on Columbus Day. I have to work ALL holidays now, unless they are on the weekend or I take them off...definitely a con of the new job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter