A question about Avocados???

Luvinit

<font color=CC66CC>This is the place I come to to
I know this sounds ridiculous...but the one time I picked an Avocado out at the grocery store...it was not like the ones I usually eat. When I asked the produce guy about it...he said that they were Florida avocados, I must be used to eating California avocados. I had not realize that there was a difference.

So....Is there a difference, and what do I look for?
How do you pick a "ripe" one? How do you cut it with that big pit in the middle? and do you peel the skin like a potato.

TIA...any info will be MOST helpful...

Tracy

I love avocados! I thought as a Floridian that I would be a trooper and buy our state avocados, but I find I don't enjoy those as much as the CA avocados. The FL ones are a little larger and have a smoother, paler skin. The CA ones are smaller and have a bumpier skin and are usually darker. The ripe ones will give to a little pressure. If you can only find hard ones, just buy one and let it sit on the kitchen counter for a day or two or three and it will soften.

Cut it lengthwise from where the stem is and make a circle around the seed (us the seed as a guide for your knife). Then just give it a twist and it should come apart easily, with the seed intact in one side. A ripe avocado should peel easily after you cut it in half. You can use the knife to cut the avocado while it's still in the skin, cut lengthwise to the skin and then cut across the long cuts so you have little squares. Then just turn the skin inside out and you should have little avocado chunks! :)

http://www.avocado.org/ <---great site about the CA avocado. I love them! The FL ones are decent too, but seem a little more watery than the CA ones. I sure do LOVE fresh guacamole with salty tortilla chips (and a margarita!) ;)

Hi Luvinit! I've never seen a Florida avocado, that I know of. I'm used to the CA ones, too. I know my Atkins book says that the CA avocados have only 9 carbs, while the FL ones have 16.
I love to have some avocado with my taco salad to add in fat.
I cut them lengthwise around the pit, then just give the top half a twist. I use a teaspoon to just scrape the fruit away from the skin. If they're ripe, they separate from the skin very easily. :)

I love avocados, too. Tracy, avocados don't ripen on the tree, so if you buy one that is already ripe you'd better be planning to eat it that day or it is likely to go bad very quickly.

I buy "hard" avocados and put them out on the counter, at least one is usually ripe enough to eat by the next day :) I like to eat them with a little salt. So yummy :)

Thanks Guys...going to the store later...now I know what to look for.

Tracy

Keep in mind that CA avocados (the good ones, "Hass" avocados, I believe) are significantly higher in calories than their FL cousins.

Ooh, Bicker, don't say that! I was just going to suggest Hass avos! Here in Hawaii, I think overall the quality of produce is not as good because it takes so long to ship. I have particularly had trouble finding good avocados, but Hass is almost a sure thing! Even if they cost more, I go to Safeway and buy Hass because they're ALWAYS just right in terms of ripeness, and they taste better...now I know why!

Sad to say, the difference is rather significant:

Avocados, raw, Florida, 32 cals /ounce
- includes Bacon, Fuerte varieties
Avocados, raw, California, 50 cals / ounce
- includes Hass, Pinkerton varieties

Calories don't matter to me...but thanks Bicker...I think the carb count is around the same as is the fat content. That is what I am concentrating on.

Tracy

Gosh, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but California (Hass) avocados have twice as much fat as Florida (Bacon) avocados...

Avocados, raw, Florida, 1 oz
Calories 32 cals
Total Fats 2.5 g
Carbohydrates 2.5 g
Protein 0.5 g
Fiber 1.5 g

Avocados, raw, California, 1 oz
Calories 50 cals
Total Fats 4.9 g
Carbohydrates 2.0 g
Protein 0.6 g
Fiber 1.4 g

[Source]

Thats good news bicker...Jody is right...California's seem to have less carbs and more fat...thats what I was looking for!!

Thanks for the great info!! I guess I picked the "right" one for me!!

Tracy

Tracy, that's probably why Atkins said we could have 1/2 Haas avocado on induction. It's high fat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter