A Post Open-Heart Surgery/Anniversary Dining Report!!! FINISHED! (and we are FULL!)

Well, Kona lunch wasn't that great, but the desserts really look amazing! Or maybe I'm just a sucker for desserts? :rotfl:

sorry for your not so great meal at Kona (a place we never tried).

I was a bit surprised - the boards seem to have favorable reviews of Kona, plus their breakfast is awesome. Perhaps we just went on an off day. :confused3

Well, Kona lunch wasn't that great, but the desserts really look amazing! Or maybe I'm just a sucker for desserts? :rotfl:

Hahaha desserts really do tend to be the best part of the meal, don't they? They were both very good, definitely a nice way to end the (a bit lackluster overall) meal :goodvibes

On our trip the previous December, we had dined at Boma and had really enjoyed it there (Wingnut especially). He was very enthusiastic about adding it to this trip's lineup. During this visit, I had spoken with one of the chefs about my allergies, and had been walked through the buffet line, being told what I could and could not eat. We had all been happily surprised at the amount of things I was able to have that did not have cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, etc.

When we arrived at Boma for our reservation, the waiting area was packed. As was the Victoria Falls lounge above. We were given a buzzer and set loose as far as the gift shop off the lobby. We made our way back up to the couches in the lobby and collapsed into them.

While waiting, I used a great deal of my willpower to comment only once (or possibly twice) about how it was too bad we weren't waiting to eat at Jiko again. :rolleyes1

After a bit of a wait, the buzzer went off, and we made our way back downstairs, and were seated in the back area of the restaurant.

We told the server that I had some food allergies, and were told that the chef would be over. I anticipated a similar buffet walk-through as last year, a few things I couldn't have, a few things I could. Wingnut waited with me, despite my urging that he go visit the buffet unencumbered :rotfl:.

The chef came by, and we all went up to the buffet together. I told him my litany of allergies, and he began to consider every dish intently, as though running through each recipe in his head.

"You can't have this, or this, you can have this, not this, these, nothing from this station..."

This continued down the line, my options extremely limited. Somewhere before the hummus (hummuses? hummi?) he stopped.

"I'll make you a special plate," he offered, "I'll make you some chicken, some beef, some vegetables, all allergy-free. And I may be able to make you dessert as well, possibly."

Wingnut and I thanked him profusely as he went back to the kitchen. I was excited to see the plate that would be coming, and was relieved to not have to negotiate the buffet of lurking spice danger. At least, for me.

While we were still at the buffet, I took a bowl of soup (lentil, I believe) and some fruit (both safe).

I commented to Wingnut that the recipes must have changed a bit over the past year, as the amount of food I would be able to have was reduced so dramatically. He agreed, that they might be making them a bit more sweet and spiced. Just our theory, no real evidence :)

Wingnut started to get his dinner as well. (I don't have pictures of his plates, sorry!) His opinion on dinner: "The food was absolutely excellent. I tried several of the soups and each was delicious. My favorite soup was definitely the Coconut Curry Seafood with cous cous. It had generous amounts of seafood (shrimp, muscles, clams, even a scallop or two) and a wonderful flavor.

The carved meats are always a crowd pleaser, and were especially good if you enjoy the spicy topping or the boma mustard. And as always, the fufu was sweet and wonderful."

While Wingnut at the buffet, the chef arrived with my plate. I'm pretty sure I looked something like this: :eek: :worship:

WOW. WOW. Never have I ever had something this impressive put in front of me, especially as a specially-made plate. In addition to its skyscraping height, this plate was packed with awesome goodies.

Here it is, a bit dismantled for easier viewing. From the top, we have a cracker/crispy bread, mixed veggies, salmon, parsnip mashed potatoes ("I hope you like parsnips, I love them" the chef laughed when describing the dish), beef, chicken, and asparagus.

Not only was this impressive and wonderful-looking, everything tasted absolutely delicious. The parsnip mashed potatoes were my favorite item on the plate. Everything was wonderfully seasoned, and I was given a fantastic variety of items, as many as the plate could hold! :yay:

After we ate and ate and ate, our server came by and asked if the chef was making me something special for dessert.

"Um...maybe? I'm not sure." Wingnut and I looked at each other, not wanting to be rude.

"I'll go check."

Soon after, this appeared at our table, along with the chef, who genuinely thanked us for coming, and hoped we would return soon:

Here we have a zebra dome, two little coffee pastries, a brownie, some berries, and that chocolate writing I love to break apart and eat. Wingnut got the coffee pastries, and I kept that zebra dome on my half of the table :rolleyes1. Oh, and the berries too. I love berries. We may have split the brownie. Or I might have eaten the whole thing (more likely scenerio).

Wingnut says, "the chef was amazing and did everything possible to make sure you had a good meal. He went above and beyond any expectations we could have, and almost looked at cooking for you as a challenge and needed to feed you like he did a family member."

I absolutely agree. We had a wonderful meal at Boma, and were made to feel entirely welcomed and taken care of, despite presenting the chef with some uncommon allergy concerns. I never could have anticipated how well both of us would be fed that night!

wow, an amazing update on BOMA and I'm impressed how the chef treated you and I love the assortment of food he made you (and don't have to wait on the line). We went to Boma 2x but the food was ok, we Love Boma breakfast (we ate there 3x).
We also love Jiko

Wow!!!! Your plate looks incredible! I like Boma a lot and I'm thinking I might like your plate better .... glad the chef took such great care of you!! :goodvibes

Wow, what fantastic service from the chef at Boma :yay:

It's great to read such a positive review

That was so sweet of the chef to make you a special plate! Looks so good, too! I'm trying to get DBF to eat here in August, but he's strictly a "meat and potatoes" guy, so it's an uphill battle!

I have really enjoyed following your review! (Has anyone ever told you that you look a little like Anne Hathaway?)

Anyway, I am so impressed with the way WDW usually deals with food allergies. I took my sister to WDW a couple of years ago and she has a pineapple allergy. I, too, was impressed at the care that was given to her food prep, however, we had not realized just how much longer our dining would take at some restaurants by the time we waited for the chef to come speak with her and then the extra prep time to make her special food and dessert (thinking specifically of 'Ohana because of all the pineapple they use). Truthfully, it is a little bit of a pain!

I have developed a shellfish allergy and am hesitant to mention it on our upcoming trip because I am not a very patient person. However, I probably will do the right thing in the end as last year I experienced anaphylactic shock with after taking the pain medication, Aleve--so now I realize how quickly an allergic reaction can go south!

Great reviews, just what I need to get thru the final hours before we are on the way to Disney. Less than 24 hours and we are on the plane.

wow, an amazing update on BOMA and I'm impressed how the chef treated you and I love the assortment of food he made you (and don't have to wait on the line). We went to Boma 2x but the food was ok, we Love Boma breakfast (we ate there 3x).
We also love Jiko

I was really impressed too with the amount and variety of food he made for me! He was absolutely wonderful!

Boma's breakfast is also fabulous, I couldn't get enough of those goat cheese scrambled eggs :thumbsup2.

(And Jiko = :love: lol)

Wow!!!! Your plate looks incredible! I like Boma a lot and I'm thinking I might like your plate better .... glad the chef took such great care of you!! :goodvibes

I couldn't believe how much the chef went out of his way to make sure I'd have a great meal! The plate was pretty amazing! :yay:

Wow, what fantastic service from the chef at Boma :yay:

It's great to read such a positive review

We had positive experiences with all of the chefs we had spoken to during our trips, but the ones at Boma truly did go above and beyond to ensure we'd have a fantastic time. (And Wingnut loved the buffet selections, there really is something for everyone!) :)

That was so sweet of the chef to make you a special plate! Looks so good, too! I'm trying to get DBF to eat here in August, but he's strictly a "meat and potatoes" guy, so it's an uphill battle!

It really was, I hadn't anticipated any specially made items at all, let alone a whole meal! Best of luck convincing DBF to eat at Boma - there are more familiar items on the buffet (including meats and potatoes, and mac and cheese!) that he may enjoy. Another option is Boma for breakfast, that has even more commonly found items, with some interesting dishes in there as well. :thumbsup2

I have really enjoyed following your review! (Has anyone ever told you that you look a little like Anne Hathaway?)

Anyway, I am so impressed with the way WDW usually deals with food allergies. I took my sister to WDW a couple of years ago and she has a pineapple allergy. I, too, was impressed at the care that was given to her food prep, however, we had not realized just how much longer our dining would take at some restaurants by the time we waited for the chef to come speak with her and then the extra prep time to make her special food and dessert (thinking specifically of 'Ohana because of all the pineapple they use). Truthfully, it is a little bit of a pain!

I have developed a shellfish allergy and am hesitant to mention it on our upcoming trip because I am not a very patient person. However, I probably will do the right thing in the end as last year I experienced anaphylactic shock with after taking the pain medication, Aleve--so now I realize how quickly an allergic reaction can go south!

Thank you!!! (and I have been told that before, thanks! :goodvibes)

It does take a few extra minutes to speak with the chef, and receive a special plate if they do make one for you. However, I really do think that it is absolutely worth mentioning food allergies to the chefs (especially when anaphylactic shock is concerned - that's not a welcome part of a Disney vacation!). It doesn't normally take more than a couple of minutes (and I'm definitely impatient too when food is concerned!), and I think the peace of mind you get, along with the allergen-free meal, is absolutely worth it. Best wishes for delicious and safe dining for you!! :goodvibes

What an adorable couple! Great Reviews :)

Thank you so much!! :goodvibes

Great reviews, just what I need to get thru the final hours before we are on the way to Disney. Less than 24 hours and we are on the plane.

Thank you!!! Have a fantastic trip!!! :wave:

To start off on an unrelated note, Wingnut and I at one of our favorites: The Muppets :thumbsup2:

As seen earlier, Wingnut and I had been to Kouzzina before for breakfast (which ended up being useful, as I seemingly entirely forgot to photograph our meals here), and had really enjoyed it. Kouzzina offers a nice selection of interesting breakfast items, in a pretty calm atmosphere.

We strolled over to the Boardwalk from the Yacht Club, thrilled that we were able to step outside without 6 layers of clothing. No coats instantly meant t-shirts for these vacationers!

We were seated right away, in a cozy little table for 2 by the windows. And okay, maybe it wasn't QUITE t-shirt weather yet...good excuse for another of my morning hot chocolates!

Wingnut went with an iced coffee frappe, which he said was very good... not too sweet, and had a good rich flavor.

During our trip, I kept seeing the Tinkerbell and Fairy Friends souvenir cup, and kept declaring to Wingnut that I was going to get one.

And then I would forget.

NOT TODAY! :yay:

The cup is a thicker plastic, with a lid and a straw, and Tink all aglow. It is a fabulous little toy, (and I made it easily transportable by getting water inside instead of a beverage that would need to be rinsed out before tossing in my bag :idea: - see, I'm clever on occasion.)

For our breakfasts, Wingnut and I both got the Stacked Kouzzina Breakfast, which looks exactly the same as it did one year prior, except with poached eggs (as it usually comes, the scrambled was my adjustment that year).

Wingnut described his breakfast as "Kouzzina'y."

Thanks, honey. :rolleyes1

The dish includes two poached eggs, sweet potato hash, kalamata olive toast, artichoke spread, and bacon or chicken sausage. It really is one of my favorite breakfasts ever, it includes so many different flavors and tasty items. My favorite on the plate is the sweet potato hash, closely followed by the kalamata olive toast, which has generous olive pieces in it.

Deciding to chime in, Wingnut enjoyed his breakfast as well, saying "I thought it was very good. My favorite part was the artichoke spread on the kalamata olive toast - I wish there was more toast because of it."

Our waitress came by after a bit, and said that she had an anniversary surprise for us, but she needed to know our names.

Sure!

"OKAY EVERYBODY! STRINGBEAN AND WINGNUT ARE HERE CELEBRATING THEIR ANNIVERSARY!! ON THE COUNT OF THREE, EVERYBODY SAY "OPA!"

ONE

TWO

THREE

OPA!!!" :yay::yay::yay:

She then placed two candle-lit cupcakes in front of us, telling us to make a wish. :wizard:

Is it bad that I was pretty excited about getting my own anniversary cupcake? No sharing here!

And a good thing too, this was a very good little cupcake. I also enjoyed the adornment of holiday sprinkles. Wingnut might not have had too much of a chance at breakfast dessert ;).

Fortified by kalamata olives and frosting, it was time for Epcot!

From Kouzzina, Wingnut and I meandered over to Epcot, where we continued to, well, meander. Epcot is both of our favorite parks, and we usually find ourselves there at least once every day during our trips.

Our Spaceship Earth future: (it involves, appropriately enough, spaceships)

After our slow-moving journey through time, and a few others (Figment, anyone else?), I began to get a bit peckish. The sight of Mickey-head lettuce did not help.

Wingnut was still full from breakfast, so I got a pretzel from the stand in Future World by the Land. I then ate a bunch of it before remembering to take a picture.

While I was gnawing on the warm salty goodness, a monorail approached.

Photo opportunity seized, we then moved on, making our way around World Showcase. I started to get hungry again. Wingnut was still full from breakfast.

Well, someone's gotta be the little piggy here! :wave:

You may recall from my earlier retrospective post that the year before, I had gotten a chocolate crepe from the little stand (kiosk?) in France. It was warm and chocolatey, and the CM had drawn an awesome music note design inside of it. Don't remember? Ok, here it is again.

Rounding our way towards France, I began to get excited for the chocolatey crepe. We stepped up to the kiosk (stand?), and ordered one chocolate crepe.

Who's excited? Me! :yay:

I then noticed the CM using a sugar shaker on/in/all over the crepe.

Um, this is different. I realized after he folded the crepe with nary a chocolate drizzle inside that this was going to be a sugar crepe, not a chocolate one. I decided to go with it, and see how it was.

I'll go with incredibly disappointing. I'm actually still a bit pouty thinking about it, over a month later. (yes, I do hold onto my pastry resentment.) I didn't take a picture of it, but it basically just looked like an empty crepe with sugar granules. It was bland, and the sugar was crunchy, which I just found weird. The crepe was also a bit on the room-temperature end, as it hadn't spent a lot of time on the crepe-warmer-iron-thing.

I poked at the crepe forlornly, ate a few bites, then spied another stand that was sure to change my disappointing snack for the better:

:jumping1: YAY for Grand Marnier squishees!!! This wonderfulness changed my mood right around, and I sipped on the cool orange liqueur as we sat by the fountain in France. Much better French kiosk treat! (And yes, I did share a sip of this with Wingnut, I'm so generous :hug:)

If Wingnut had been hungrier, I'm sure we would have made more of our Epcot snacking, but this did the trick for this afternoon. Plus, we had a dinner at Narcoosees to look forward to...can't go to that full!

Getting to Narcoosees is a bit tricky, isn't it?

I don't even mean just physically getting there, just getting the reservation required multiple and frequent trips to the Disney Reservations website, ADR finagling, and a touch more patience than I usually possess. But Wingnut was interested in eating here, so I persevered.

Additional motivation stemmed from potentially dining at the Grand Floridian, one of only two locations (the second is CRT) that offers the Cinderella's slipper dessert. I wanted it. I reeeaaaalllly wanted it.

Reservation scored, I hinted subtly to my beloved that I wanted the slipper dessert, giving him pricing information, our reservation number, and the phone number he needed to call. Just call me Stringbean the Subtle. Ahem. :rolleyes1

Then, as I hinted at before, there was the task of actually getting to the Grand Floridian. We began our journey at DHS, and took the bus, which also stopped at the Contemporary, the Polynesian, the Polynesian again (wrong turn out of the parking lot), and then finally the Grand Floridian. (Goodness that's a long bus ride for some folks!)

A side note: did anyone else know that Citricos is pronounced "sit-trick-ohs," not "sit-tree-kohs"? Or maybe that was just me. Thanks bus announcer spiel guy. :thumbsup2

I knew that we had to make our way back towards the dock to get to Narcoosees, and was getting nervous that it would take a long time to get there. From the bus stop I would approximate this as around a 5 minute walk, you have to go through the lobby, out the back door of the main building, through the length of the courtyard(?) between all of the buildings, and there is dinner.

I had just enough time to make sure my hair wasn't in 700 directions before we were led to our table, which had a gorgeous view of the castle.

(Admittedly, this is a teensy bit zoomed in, we were actually across the aisle from being seated right at the windows. But we were definitely able to enjoy the view just as much.)

We were promptly served bread and sea-salted butter, which was warm (the bread) and tasty (both components).

Wingnut then started with a deconstructed fried Oysters Rockerfeller.

He said that this was really good, and that he's never tried regular Oysters Rockerfeller before, but he absolutely intends on trying it more often because of this dish.

I began with a Winter Waldorf Salad.

This was possibly one of my favorite salads ever - I loved the fruits in it (pear, apple, and grape, if i remember correctly), and while I am not usually a blue cheese fan, I enjoyed the type that was used here. We both cleaned our plates.

We both then had the Surf and Turf for our entrees.

Wingnut says that he thought the steak was pretty good, and the lobster was not too bad. I don't generally have lobster, but I thought I would give this a try. It was not to my liking, nothing wrong with it, just not my taste. I thought that the steak was alright, and enjoyed the sauce along with it (on the side, as per my usual pickiness :laughing:). The broccolini was pretty unmemorable, and the potatoes were nice, they had herbs and other tasty touches in them.

Around now, I was beginning to debate in my head whether to have the often-praised Almond Crusted Cheesecake, or one of the other desserts from the menus we had been poring over for the past few months. I was entirely and completely surprised when this was placed in front of me:

THE SLIPPER DESSERT!!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

I don't know how, but I had ENTIRELY forgotten about haranguing my poor Wingnut to get this many months prior. It was a complete surprise (Wingnut was fairly amazed at my ability to totally surprise myself), and I was thrilled (I'll admit it, it did make me even more thrilled when Wingnut reported that the couple sitting behind me looked quite jealous of our treat).

Okay, so this beautiful wonderful plate contains: a white chocolate slipper filled with white chocolate mousse and topped with raspberries, a dark chocolate teardrop filled with dark (could be milk but I'm going with dark) chocolate mousse and topped with white chocolate shavings, a little cocoa castle, and raspberry sauce.

Um, I promise you I was not just blinded by its beauty when I tell you that this was incredible. I assure you that this was not just a pretty novelty, the chocolates and mousses and sauces were one of my favorite things I ate during the trip.

Along with the slipper, our waiter also brought two congratulatory champagne toasts (with strawberry accents), carding us before serving them.

And then we had dessert. It was a slipper intermezzo, if you will :laughing:.

Wingnut had the gelato sampler, which he says were really good. The pistachio was his favorite, and the coffee and strawberry had really nice flavors. The chocolate was a little too rich for his taste.

I continued to debate between the cheesecake, and now the creme brulee duo. What to choose, what to choose (nevermind being quite full, there's more dessert to be had)?

I decided to go with the creme brulee duo, which has one key lime creme brulee and one coconut creme brulee. Both were excellent (I loved having two spoons!), and I enjoyed them greatly.

Overall, we both really enjoyed our meal at Narcoosees. The service and atmosphere was excellent, I loved the view of the castle changing colors. The food was very good (I might choose a different entree if we were to return), we especially enjoyed our appetizers and desserts. Definitely worth the patience needed in getting to our dinner! :goodvibes

Great reviews and your slipper dessert looks wonderful :goodvibes

Thanks for the tip on the GF serving this dessert, I might have to start dropping hints to DH :laughing:

I'm glad to see you are back with the reviews! Your reviews make me laugh and smile. :)

Great reviews; love all the detail. You guys are hilarious! And you had me at Napoleon. I also cannot bring myself to order anything else at the Boulangerie. Have you tried the Napoleon from Starring Rolls in DHS? Also superb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter