A Post Open-Heart Surgery/Anniversary Dining Report!!! FINISHED! (and we are FULL!)

i'm in... althouhg at first i was very excited to see that you were on the DxDP and were hoping you were going to review a few of the restaurants i'm eating at, i see that you are not!! lol

oh well i'm still going to read, for the future!!

I'm so glad your surgery went well... i hope you continue feeling well and no hiccups occur!

Welcome, and thank you!!! I have been feeling more and more like my old self every day, it's wonderful to be getting my energy and strength back! :goodvibes

Sorry to disappoint with our restaurant choices :laughing: - I will admit that I shuffled around our reservations so much before the trip that at one point we probably were going to eat somewhere you are planning to go! :rotfl: (I may have driven my poor Wingnut a bit nuts with all of my indecision, but we were happy in the end!)

I made a Kona Cafe breakfast ADR for our next trip specifically to try the Tonga Toast. It just looks soooo tasty!

I made a Kona Cafe breakfast ADR for our next trip specifically to try the Tonga Toast. It just looks soooo tasty!

I think that is a great reason to make a Kona Cafe ADR! :thumbsup2

They do have a bunch of other yummy items, pressed-pot Kona coffee if you enjoy that, fabulous hot chocolate, and the Tonga Toast came with a strawberry sauce Wingnut loved. It's also a great place to go straight to MK or Epcot on the monorail afterwards!

I love the Kona for breakfast! Actually, I've enjoyed all my meals there. I have ADRs for April and am looking forward to the pancakes. Although the Tonga Toast is calling me, too. Decisions, decisions!
Love the reviews!

Hello from England :goodvibes

Love your reviews and boy does your breakfast at Kona look good :cloud9:

It's great that your surgery went so well and the smile on your face in your Disney photos shows what a great a trip you had :)

Stringbean, I'm so loving your review! I too, am amazed by your courage along your journey! I wish you a continued wonderful recovery.
You have a great writing style, I will be looking forward to the rest of your review, especially breakfast at Kouzzina! We have breakfast planned there for our upcoming trip.

Thanks for sharing :goodvibes

I love the macadamien pineapple pancakes at Kona! We have a breakfast ADR there in February and I cant wait!

I love the Kona for breakfast! Actually, I've enjoyed all my meals there. I have ADRs for April and am looking forward to the pancakes. Although the Tonga Toast is calling me, too. Decisions, decisions!
Love the reviews!

Welcome! Kona is definitely one of my favorite breakfasts on-property, they have a really nice variety of unique items. I had been torn between the pancakes and the Samoan, which is eggs Benedict over pulled pork. How good does that sound?!?

Between the pancakes and the Tonga Toast, you can't go wrong though! :thumbsup2

Hello from England :goodvibes

Love your reviews and boy does your breakfast at Kona look good :cloud9:

It's great that your surgery went so well and the smile on your face in your Disney photos shows what a great a trip you had :)

Hi and welcome!!! Thank you so much, we did have a wonerful trip! It was great having it to look forward to! :)

Stringbean, I'm so loving your review! I too, am amazed by your courage along your journey! I wish you a continued wonderful recovery.
You have a great writing style, I will be looking forward to the rest of your review, especially breakfast at Kouzzina! We have breakfast planned there for our upcoming trip.

Thanks for sharing :goodvibes

Welcome!! Thank you very much!!!

This had been our second time at Kouzzina for breakfast actually, we had gone on a previous trip. I really enjoy it there, it's a nice relaxing atmosphere before going to the parks, and has really good food too! I hope you enjoy it there as well! :goodvibes

I love the macadamien pineapple pancakes at Kona! We have a breakfast ADR there in February and I cant wait!

Welcome!! Oh my goodness, aren't they SO good?!?! :worship: I was just so sad to leave so much of them behind!! Enjoy!!!

First, things we did not eat on the Jungle Cruise:

So after our filling Kona breakfast, Wingnut and I made our way around the MK. I continually reminded him that we had dinner at Jiko that night, so appetites had better be ravenous for then. No extraneous snacking!

Early on in the lunching time frame, we found ourselves in the vicinity of CHH, a CS I had wanted to try. However, after we finally found the entrance (a bit tricky coming from Fantasyland, at least for us!), it was bustling inside, and we weren't all that hungry, so we trekked on.

A bit later, around ::checks photo time:: 1 or so, we (read: I) was starting to get a bit hungry. I toyed briefly with the idea of getting a funnel cake from Sleepy Hollow (shockingly, a snack I didn't get during this trip at all :sad2:), then remembered Casey's. Wingnut was on board.

While making our way over, I began to get nervous about crowds there, as it was pretty much peak eating time, and CHH was busy during practically breakfast. However, when we walked in, the stations were only about 2 people deep. Yay! :woohoo:

In keeping with my decree of having voracious appetites for dinner, we ate light. I had a hot dog, and Wingnut was originally going to get one as well, but then the corn dog nuggets caught his eye.

(I have no idea why I had my camera on the tungsten filter, sorry about the blue lunches :laughing:. It's fixed for the Jiko pictures though, don't worry!)

I had heard all about the new buns for the hot dog, that they were using whole wheat buns now (which still doesn't make sense to me on items like a hot dog :confused:). They were obviously not squishy white bread buns, but they didn't bother me too much. They didn't fall apart or crumble when I ate. The hot dog was warm and perfect for a not-very-filling snack.

Wingnut called his corn dog nuggets "a nice little fast lunch, they were ok, standard corndogs, just miniaturized and put with spicy brown mustard."

I would definitely come back to Casey's, especially for a more full meal (I had opted out of having fries, but will not make that mistake again, especially when there's "Caution: Hot Cheese" signs around! :love:)

My goodness girl, you definitely earned this trip the hard way! :hug: Glad to hear you're recovering well. Keep up the good work on the reviews, really enjoying them (even if they did just jumpstart my dinner cravings an hour early! ;) )

Kona breakfast is definitely something I have to try. Although the tonga toast sounds a bit too sweet for me.

Love that you are saving room for Jiko and eating lunch "responsibly." :laughing:

To say that I had been eagerly anticipating this meal for awhile would be a very huge understatement.

Almost as big an understatement as it would be to call Jiko our favorite meal of the trip. Possibly favorite meal of ever.

As I had mentioned in the beginning, Wingnut and I had originally planned for this trip to coincide with our 3-year anniversary, which was October 6th. And pretty much as soon as the trip was booked, we had Jiko reserved for our anniversary dinner.

And then...well...you know.

In between the time of our original reservation and our new one, a few menu changes occurred. The macaroni and cheese no longer accompanied the filet, which I had been considering having, but hadn't been totally fixated on having.

Unfortunately for my beloved Wingnut, a dessert he had been eyeing (nay, drooling over already), the Coffee and Koeksisters (spiced doughnuts), also disappeared. He was shocked. Dismayed. None of the new dessert offerings would ever take its place.

Well, we'd see about that.

On the way to Jiko:

We got there a bit early, and were told they wouldn't start seating until 5:30 (our reservation was for 5:35). We meandered around the lobby of AKL. We stood in the waiting area between Boma and Jiko. We then hung out in the bar area just inside the doors of Jiko, and then were called to our table.

When we approached the hostess stand with our now buzzing buzzer, the hostess handed us a card for our anniversary, which the staff had signed.

We thanked them for this unexpected and sweet gesture, and were led to our table. Some ambiance:

We were seated near the wall shown above, which subtly changed colors throughout the evening to represent a sunset.

Upon being seated, we were given two types of bread (honey wheat and flax seed) and tandoori butter.

I then notified the server about my litany of annoying food allergies, and he promptly brought out some safe bread and butter for my side of the table (the flax seed bread and regular butter).

I enjoyed the bread, it had a very nice flavor. Wingnut said, "the tandoori butter was very tasty, it went well with both of the breads. The flavor of the butter was strong, but not overpowering."

Next, it was time for appetizers. I had been looking at one in particular for awhile, and decided I couldn't not try it.

This is the barbecue chicken flatbread, and it is simply outstanding. I loved the barbecue sauce with the crispy sweet crunch of the apples and jicama. I was thrilled to finally get to try this, after seeing pictures of it for so long! :yay:

Wingnut had the Wild Boar Tenderloin for his appetizer:

He describes this as "wonderful, served over chakalaka, which was spicy, but just enough to contrast the buttery boar. There was a little mealie in the chakalaka, but it was more for the textural component." I tried a bite (okay, 2) of this, and thought it was delicious (possibly even a touch more so than my flatbread. And yes, I shared that too!)

For our main courses, I had the filet, which was served with fingerling potatoes and pole beans.

There were spices of some sort that I am unable to have in the red wine sauce, so that's why that is missing. I thought that the filet was a fantastic cut of beef, buttery and flavorful. I wished I had been able to try this in its true form, as it was very very very good, but was missing that unique touch that all of the dishes seemed to have. Definitely a delicious course though!

Wingnut then moved on to the Braised Berbary Duck

Honestly, I have never seen Wingnut enjoy a course more than this one. "The duck was like slices of filet mignon - it was soo tasty and tender. It was served over tandoori potatoes and chanterelle mushrooms, which were equally as good as the duck, and bruleed figs for a sweet component." I did not taste any of this, as I was afraid of spicy allergens within. It did look like a beautiful and delectable dish, and he literally cleared the plate.

For dessert, our wonderful server brought over an anniversary treat for each of us.

I received a sorbet sampler with triple berry, apricot, and strawberry sorbets. The strawberry and apricot were both fabulous, but the triple berry was honestly the best sorbet (possibly dessert) I have ever tasted. It was jam-packed with flavor and wonderfulness. I savored that little scoop like it was a precious treasure :rotfl:

(The slightly impatient) Wingnut was given the Amarula Creme Brulee. He is not typically a creme brulee fan (I know, right? :confused:), but he called this "incredible". It had a layer of chocolate on the bottom that he said gave it a little something extra. I was unable to taste, just got to watch him swoon. :laughing:

When we were about halfway through our desserts, our server came by and said that the only other dessert on the menu I would be able to have besides the sorbets was the chocolate cremeux cake, and if we would like to try that as well, he'd be happy to bring it over.

Wingnut left it up to me.

Oh, I was SO tempted. I kind of regret my decision now, but...

I declined.

Sometimes (rarely) I like to put up the appearance of being dainty, and didn't want to toss even more decadence on top of the already amazing meal. I was already stuffed. It would have been just in excess.

OH WHY DID I SAY NO? :sad1:

I savored my last drop of triple berry sorbet, and thus concluded our anniversary meal at Jiko.

Despite thinking about this dinner for approximately 7 months, Jiko still managed to exceed our expectations. It was a wonderful meal from start to finish, with attentive service, beautiful ambiance, and delicious dishes. Absolutely our favorite meal of the vacation. :cloud9:

To conclude, a brief stop in the Beach Club on the way back led to this awesome chair find:

Doesn't it look like we took a little stroll through Pixie Hollow? :rotfl: Also: yes, it was cold enough for gloves!!

My goodness girl, you definitely earned this trip the hard way! :hug: Glad to hear you're recovering well. Keep up the good work on the reviews, really enjoying them (even if they did just jumpstart my dinner cravings an hour early! ;) )

Thank you very much, we were so thrilled to be able to go to Disney!!! And welcome!! It makes me hungry looking at the food again too! :laughing:

Kona breakfast is definitely something I have to try. Although the tonga toast sounds a bit too sweet for me.

Love that you are saving room for Jiko and eating lunch "responsibly." :laughing:

Welcome! I love Kona for breakfast! They have a bunch of different things if you're not into the fried dough caked in sugar for breakfast :rotfl: (I couldn't start my day with something THAT sweet either - Wingnut has no problem with that!)

Hahaha Disney dining is all about balance - can't be full for those Signature meals!! :laughing:

Stringbean, what a great review of Jiko! I'm so glad you enjoyed it so. Happy Anniversary! I love the photo of you and Wingnut (I love your usernames :goodvibes) You are a lovely couple! You are so pretty with your hair down~

Thanks for continuing with such a great review!

Loved your Jiko review....and love love love your purse! :love:
We went to Jiko last year and I had the dessert with the coffee ice cream. Honestly, it was the best ice cream I have ever eaten. Sad to hear that it is not on the menu anymore!

Loving these...had never considered Kona for bfast bc we have kids who may not be interested, but may need to add now!

thanks for your wonderful review of Jiko, it's made me so excited about our May ADR :cool1:

I'm glad that the evening lived up to your expectations (and beyond!)

Happy (belated) Anniversary :hug:

That duck at Jiko has my mouth watering! Your review definitely helped solidify our decision to make and ADR there. Can't wait!

So glad you're doing well after your surgery! Loving these reviews and can't wait for more!

I've just read all of your reviews and they were great :thumbsup2

I've eaten at Jiko twice and I'm sure the duck wasn't on the menu before ... but it looks incredible!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter