A package comes to your home , it's come to the wrong home , if it was valuable and there was no chance of it being found out , would you keep an item

No we would take it over to the correct house or if not anywhere close to us call the company to come and get it to deliver to the right place.

Absolutely not. We play the package shuffle in our neighborhood, because things are constantly going to the wrong address. And it's just a crapshoot whose item will end up on whose porch. If it was an address further away, I'd probably just drive it over. Or I'd call the delivery company and tell them to come get it. I wouldn't know it was valuable, because I wouldn't open it.

Never. Not sure it would have even occurred to me to keep someone else's package until I read your question! We'd try to get it to the right place - just like we hope one of our neighbors would try to get our package to us if it was delivered to the wrong address.

No. Whenever there's been been a wrong delivery, it's usually a house or two down so we bring it to them. Someone ordered an area rug and it was dropped off at our house but was supposed to go across the street. My husband just picked it up and brought it over.

No. And I wouldn't be tempted by the contents because I'd never think to open the package. I'd walk it to the neighbour or call the carrier and make them sort it out, or if it was by mail, just take it back to the post office. If they insisted I keep it, 99.9% chance it would be something I wouldn't care to have, so it would need to be given away.

No. If it was delivered to the wrong address, I'd either deliver it myself or call the carrier. If it's addressed to me and I didn't order anything, I would call whoever sent it to find out what it is and what I should do. I was raised to be honest and to do the right thing.

Absolutely not. It happens often in our subdivision. I either take it to the proper address or try to let the intended recipient know it’s at my house if it’s a heavy package.

No. I always put it at the address it belongs to, usually mistakes are just a house or two over. Over Christmas the mail carrier dropped off a package at our door that was about a quarter mile away, totally wrong address not even close sounding to ours, and I took it to the proper address.

No I’ve had packages come to our house by mistake. Either mail or ups. They are immediately returned, unopened. I’ve also had the wrong mail delivered with the name and address of the person it should have gone to. I have taken it to the correct house.

I make every effort to deliver it to the intended recipient or return it to sender. I have kept a valuable package but only after the sender refused to accept a return and the package mistakenly labeled me as the recipient. I was told there was no record of it ever being ordered or sent. I didn't order the item nor was I ever charged for it. Most bizarre "transaction" ever.

Absolutely not!! This actually did happen to us almost a year ago to the day. UPS delivered a bathroom vanity that I had ordered and with it they dropped off a gazebo/arbor type structure that was in several boxes and incredibly heavy. The intended recipients’ phone number was on the label and they lived a few towns over so rather than make them wait for the error to be corrected I called them directly and they came to get it. Turns out they had ordered it as a gift for their daughter who was going through cancer treatment. She loved to be outside but did not have a shady area to sit and this was their solution for her. They were so grateful and it just reinforced why I would never keep something that didn’t belong to me. The several weeks that I’d imagine it would have taken to rectify the issue would have been several weeks of joy someone was deprived of.

My local PO is having a difficult time delivering mail and packages to the correct address. Just on Friday, I had an amazon package marked as delivered but couldn't find it anywhere outside my house. They seem to think that "Oak St" and "Maple St" are the same thing (those aren't the actually street names but the names do have a connection). Thankfully, the other house dropped my package off yesterday. I was going to stop by the PO today to track down my package but thankfully I didn't need to.

We regularly get their mail - mostly junk that I dispose of. Things that appear to be important we put back in the mailbox.

That's legal and reasonable. You aren't even required to offer to send them back, although it was nice of you to do so. I definitely see a distinction between a package addressed to someone else and delivered to my house and a company sending a package addressed to me with unordered merchandise. For the wrong address I'd get it to the right person if that's easy enough or contact them if it's not convenient for me to hand deliver. For unordered merchandise I would either keep it, give as a present, or donate to charity.

The FTC used to have public service announcements that if one received something shipped but never ordered, there was no requirement to return it or pay for it. Some showed recipients throwing bills in the trash, and I guess the oddest one was an Eskimo receiving a table fan.

What I remember was when some stamp company used to send a packet of stamps (for collectors) and then asked to be paid for it with a subscription model, although the price was different with each packet. But theoretically the initial packet was sent unsolicited and thus conferred no right for the sender to be paid for or to have it returned.

No. In fact a few years ago a big box came to my house. Correct last name, but not for our family. The box was from Calphalon (pot/pan set) So being the honest person I am, I called Calphalon and told them about the box. They sent a new label, and the set was re-delivered. A few weeks later, I got a box from Calphalon, they said for my honesty, they sent me a new frypan! See honesty pays off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter