• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Once in Lifetime Adventure in Walt's Wonderful World-lots of pics-COMPLETE

Awwwww, Melanie you had me misty just reading your update! What a wonderful thing for you to get to experience.
Thanks for the kind words. I was really afraid I wouldn't be able to fully express in words how I felt about it all.

Aww, you two are just the cutest!! :love: For those of us who experienced that tour, we understand your feelings in Walts apartment! It's amazing! Especially looking out that window! Wow! I got chills. I'm reliving my experience with you! Thank you!

Wasn't Cindy the greatest? My husband and I took a holiday tour with her one year. She was excellent! It was fun to see her again.

And, being tired...isn't it a great tired? We experienced so much. And, like you said, it's a lifetime of memories!
It's an incredible experience & one as I said above that I wasn't sure I could do justice.
Cindy was awesome. Her love for all things Disney just shone through. It was a great tired......one of those ahhhhhhh I am so tired but I can't stop smiling tireds.

aww you two are so cute! :hug:

Great job describing Walt's apt! I got goosebumps while reading! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 Man I wish I had the money to book this ABD trip right now!

Next we switched with the Daisy's who didn't break the train this time thank goodness. We went over to the train station. They had some really cool Walt train memorobilia there & we had a very nice cast member that talked to us about the things in the display cases.
Walt on his Carolwood Pacific in his backyard
100_5292.jpg

To the trains.....
100_5293.jpg

We got to ride the Lilly Belle which is a special caboose car that was done as a VIP car. Lillian picked out all the interiors. It is very Victorian & has that same feel as the apartment. Lots of famous people have taken a trip around Disneyland in this car-people like Johnny Depp & presidents of foreign
countries, but the cool thing is that if you are there & the Lilly Belle is running you can always ask to see if you can ride.
100_5301.jpg

We had a cast member who rode with us & shared some of the history of the car with us. She was great.
100_5308.jpg

This is me with my special Lilly Belle ticket completed with a special train punch by a great photo of Walt & Lillian.
100_5309.jpg

Diana with a coat that belonged to Walt Disney.
100_5313.jpg

100_5314.jpg

As she pulls away.
100_5317.jpg

It was really cool to ride in the car & we enjoyed seeing all the sights along the way. That mural of the Grand Canyon is very impressive & the Primeval Whirl diarma is really neat. We were told that Walt named the 3 small dinosaurs drinking out of a pool Huey, Dewey & Louie.
After we were finished with our ride, we were given our pin for the day-which was Walt's World.
101_1348.jpg

We also were told about special viewing for the parade. We were to meeet back up at the train station for that at 3:15 if we wanted to see the parade. It was around 2:30 then so we decided to stay in the area.
100_5321.jpg

Dediction plaque
100_5325.jpg

We got a coke & just sat on a bench & people watched for a little while.
100_5322.jpg

We also took this time to enjoy Disneyland's 50th Anniversary exhibit.
100_5326.jpg

100_5327.jpg

They have some great memoribilia in there.
100_5328.jpg

100_5331.jpg

Even a tiny Walt in the castle
100_5334.jpg

Maquettes like we had seen at WDI
100_5332.jpg

Something I enjoyed looking at this trip.......I will share more about windows later
100_5336.jpg

Name tags.......
100_5337.jpg

Model of DL the way it looked on opening day
100_5340.jpg

The movie here stars Steve Martin who started out working in the Magic Shop on Main Street & Donald Duck. Really funny & some great footage of Walt as well.

Continued in next post as I am getting close to my image limit.

Now it was time to head to the train station to watch the parade. Our guides had saved us the benches up there to watch the parade. Now that is what I call SWEET. Arriving 15 minutes before the parade & having a prime viewing area.
100_5350.jpg

Goofy was warming up the crowd
100_5347.jpg

The Christmas Fantasy parade was beautiful. I looked for a CD with the music but couldn't find one.
A ballerina & teddy bear lead the way.
100_5356.jpg

The toy soliders that I love so much

Mickey & Minnie Mouse were ice skating on a pond.
100_5366.jpg

Cute little snowmen

Clarabell Cow & the gingerbread men
100_5370.jpg

The romantic princes with their princesses
100_5376.jpg

A toy workshop
100_5382.jpg

Good ole' Santa Claus-who signed We Wish You a Merry Christmas
100_5394.jpg

After the parade, the guides told us to meet them around 8:45 in New Orleans square area for special viewing of Fantasmic & we all set off on our own adventures.
We headed straight to the castle & walked through it for the first time & saw the Disney family crest.
100_5402.jpg

We also found this beautiful statue.
100_5405.jpg

We went to ride the carousel & I wanted to make sure to get a picture with Jingles the horse that Disneyland dedicated this past summer to Julie Andrews since I had on my Mary Poppins Practically Perfect shirt.
100_5416.jpg

Someone else was riding Jingles, but after they got off, I was able to get my photos.
100_5418.jpg

These are the upclose details that show that this is Mary Poppins/Julie Andrews horse of course.
100_5420.jpg

100_5421.jpg

After that we rode Pinocchio which we thought was really cute.
100_5429.jpg

I found this painting in a store by Pinocchio that was selling crystals & I thought it was gorgeous.
100_5436.jpg

Next I had to visit the little marionette's room & I thought the sign was adorable.
100_5437.jpg

We then took a ride with Snow White.
100_5443.jpg

Who lived Happily Ever After
100_5449.jpg

About now we decided we were getting cold & knew we were in for a long night so we headed back down Main Street to go to the room & get warmer jackets & gloves.
100_5452.jpg

And of course we stopped on the way out to say "We'll be back Walt" & it was all the more special because we had been up there earlier.
100_5453.jpg

Up next..........Rides, rides, rides & Fantasmic

aww you two are so cute! :hug:

Great job describing Walt's apt! I got goosebumps while reading! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 Man I wish I had the money to book this ABD trip right now!

Thanks Jenn!!!! I am glad that everyone is enjoying reading about Walt's apartment. It was such a special time.
I wish you did too!!!!!!! It is so worth it.

Ok so your description of Walt's apartment had me in tears! Wow...what an AMAZING experience! I love that pin, too!

Great great great update! :banana: I just love Disneyland!!! :goodvibes

i got misty eyed just hearing about your visit to Walt's apartment..how amazing that must have been. That pin is great too!
I can't believe how much you got to take in and learn on this adventure!!!

:goodvibes Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For this "magic"al Trip Report. :wizard: This is exactly what I was looking for when I wandered over to the Disneyland threads.

:rolleyes1 We have gone to WDW numerous times (three times just last year). I am in the beginning planning stages of a "surprise" Disneyland trip for DH's birthday this June. I was 50/50 whether I wanted to fork over the extra $$$$$ and go with ABD or go on our own. Your trip report has me sold. DLR is all new to me and I've heard the traffic in LA is crazy. I may just leave all that up to Disney and actually relax and enjoy my vacation for once. ;)

Thanks again for a great trip report and I can't wait to read the rest. :surfweb:

pirate: Jennifer

PS - Thanks for the photo of JA horse. We will definitely look for it. :thumbsup2

:goodvibes Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For this "magic"al Trip Report. :wizard: This is exactly what I was looking for when I wandered over to the Disneyland threads.

:rolleyes1 We have gone to WDW numerous times (three times just last year). I am in the beginning planning stages of a "surprise" Disneyland trip for DH's birthday this June. I was 50/50 whether I wanted to fork over the extra $$$$$ and go with ABD or go on our own. Your trip report has me sold. DLR is all new to me and I've heard the traffic in LA is crazy. I may just leave all that up to Disney and actually relax and enjoy my vacation for once. ;)

Thanks again for a great trip report and I can't wait to read the rest. :surfweb:

PS - Thanks for the photo of JA horse. We will definitely look for it. :thumbsup2

Hi Jennifer! If you do decide to fly in on your own by some chance, fly into Orange County - John Wayne Int. instead. It is 20 minutes from DL, and not bad on traffic - especially easy on weekends.

Melanie, your TR is so magical! Thanks for sharing Walt's apt. with us. I am thinking I would really love a "behind the scenes" tour! Your adventure on the Lillie Belle looks so special!:thumbsup2 ABD really went all out for you guys - lots of VIP treatment! Can't wait for more!:surfweb:

Melanie... I am LOVING this TR!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

& I'm dying to book it for myself!!!

Thanks for all the fantastic and I really do mean FANTASTIC info in the Trippie!!!

Hi Jennifer! If you do decide to fly in on your own by some chance, fly into Orange County - John Wayne Int. instead. It is 20 minutes from DL, and not bad on traffic - especially easy on weekends.

:goodvibes Thanks for the tip! Is that the same as ... SNA - Santa Ana John Wayne International Airport? I have been pricing flights and it seems to be cheaper to fly into SNA than LAX. I am also contemplating a roadtrip. The ABD price I was quoted did NOT include the flight. We drove many moons ago from Texas to Las Vegas, NV. We loved the drive and stopped off at the Grand Canyon. Now with the three kiddos, we may try it again. They travel VERY well in the car (nine driving trips to Orlando (WDW) in four years and three roadtrips to Massachusetts). I have planned out a "tentative" itinerary (TX - Albuquerque, NM - Grand Canyon, AZ - Las Vegas, NV - Los Angeles, CA - Anaheim, CA/DLR - San Diego, CA/Legoland & the Beach - NM - TX (Home) Okay after reading all that myself, we may fly! ;)

:surfweb: Jennifer

Disneygrl36 -

Do you have to dress up for any of the dinners on this trip? Or are nice T-shirt and shorts OK like in the WDW restaurants?

We are getting so tempted the more we read about your fabulous trip!

Ok so your description of Walt's apartment had me in tears! Wow...what an AMAZING experience! I love that pin, too!

Great great great update! :banana: I just love Disneyland!!! :goodvibes
Well I didn't mean to make everyone misty but really then I think I have done my job in describing how it was for me. I love Disneyland too & there is just a different feeling there than at WDW.

i got misty eyed just hearing about your visit to Walt's apartment..how amazing that must have been. That pin is great too!
I can't believe how much you got to take in and learn on this adventure!!!
The pin is really special. My husband wanted something special done with the pin so he could take it to work & have that to remind him of the trip. When I get to the end of the report, I will show you guys what I did with the pins.

:welcome: Jennifer!!!!
I am so glad that I could help you decide on a Disneyland trip. ABD is wonderful & I cannot recommend this trip highly enough. It was everything I expected it to be plus more. It was a truly Magical experience & I am sooooo glad we did it. It was wonderful to share it with each other & then the other people on this trip was Disney lovers like ourselves so that made it all the more special to share it with people who appreciated everything we were doing & seeing as much as we did. Jingles is easy to find & it is a really cool tribute for Julie & her fans.

Melanie, your TR is so magical! Thanks for sharing Walt's apt. with us. I am thinking I would really love a "behind the scenes" tour! Your adventure on the Lillie Belle looks so special!:thumbsup2 ABD really went all out for you guys - lots of VIP treatment! Can't wait for more!:surfweb:
Thanks Tammie. You would love this trip. Splurge & treat yourself. Walt's apt followed by the Lilly Belle was so special. We did get lots of VIP treatment & even just little things they thought of like having water & snacks available at times & leaving the special picture post cards as a surprise in our room at night. Lots of little touches to make things special.

Melanie... I am LOVING this TR!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

& I'm dying to book it for myself!!!

Thanks for all the fantastic and I really do mean FANTASTIC info in the Trippie!!!
:welcome: Michelle
I am glad so many people are enjoying my trip report. I am really having fun reliving it all with you guys & it makes me feel good to be getting people interested in Adventures By Disney.:goodvibes

Disneygrl36 -

Do you have to dress up for any of the dinners on this trip? Or are nice T-shirt and shorts OK like in the WDW restaurants?

We are getting so tempted the more we read about your fabulous trip!
You do not have to dress up for dinner. ABD recommends casual clothes for the trip. We did change several times from what we had been wearing all day but mostly because I wanted to freshen up & look better for pictures.
But it's like WDW in that there are people dressed in all different ways. If you wanted to go to Napa Rose in the Grand Californian then you would want to dress up, but most other places jeans or shorts in warmer weather should be fine.

We went back to the Grand Californian & grabbed warmer jackets, gloves & a hat for Eric as it was getting chilly. We then headed back to the Magic Kindgom. I had really wanted to eat at the Carnation Cafe & get potato soup, but it is outdoors & it was cold plus that area was really crowded with people because of the parade. So we decided to eat at the River Belle Terrace for dinner so we could eat inside. I had a pulled pork BBQ sandwich with pasta salad. Eric had a turkey sandwich with lentil salad & we shared a strawberry shortcake. The sandwiches were good but the shortcake was blah.
100_5457.jpg

This is a really pretty restaurant on the inside with very dainty details.
100_5461.jpg

After dinner, our mission was to ride some rides since our guides had given us 5 fast passes that we could use for any attraction that day. We went over to Adventureland to ride Indy again.
100_5462.jpg

100_5463.jpg

Then we took a ride on the Jungle Cruise-I don't think I had ever done this at night & it was fun. Those piranah's scared the heck out of me. We also a night time ride on Big Thunder as I always like it best in the dark.
We passed by Small World lit up in all it's glory, but decided to wait to ride it as the line looked really long.
100_5477.jpg

100_5479.jpg

So instead we headed to Toon Town wanting to ride Roger Rabbit.
100_5480.jpg

But guess what, as we entered we found out it was down & guess who was on it when it broke & hollered at us sitting in their car almost back to the start?????? Some of those crazy Daisy's that were always breaking everything. :lmao: We got a good laugh out of that & decided to play around with some of the interactive things in Toon Town & take some pictures since we were there.
100_5483.jpg

I just love Disneyland's Toon Town. It beats WDW hands down. It is so much fun to discover all the little fun things that happen.
100_5487.jpg

We found some really cute windows too!!!!
100_5488.jpg

Since Eric is a banker........
100_5493.jpg

By now it was getting time to meet up with the group for Fantasmic. We got some popcorn (which was divine) & a drink & headed over to New Orleans Square. We found our group & were taken to a great area again without having to wait. I wish they had better seating for this as our legs & tushes got pretty cold & tired, but the show was so good we soon forgot about that.
I love how they do Fantasmic here right on the Rivers of America.
100_5500.jpg

Monkeys do a little dance

Romance on the River......excuse my singing, because I just can't seem to help myself.

The scene with Peter Pan & Captain Hook on the Columbia is awesome!!
100_5513.jpg

100_5516.jpg

100_5529.jpg

100_5531.jpg

100_5533.jpg

It was just an all around wonderful show.
It gets me every time at the end when Mickey says..............

Continued in next post.....

Great updates again! I agree with you on DLs Toontown, it is so cute!

I'm sorry you missed out on the baked potato soup - it is soooooooo good, I'm getting hungry now just thinking about it! Were you able to eat there later in the trip?

After Fantasmic was over, we just stayed put & were able to see Believe in Holiday Magic-the holiday fireworks show from there. This would be the only time we were able to watch it from inside the park as it ended up being cancelled the other nights so we never saw it from Main Street (shhh don't tell Eric but that at the top of my list of reasons to go back).
100_5537.jpg

100_5538.jpg

100_5545.jpg

After the fireworks, it snowed on us which was a real surprise.
100_5550.jpg

Next we headed over to Tomorrowland to ride some rides. We did Buzz Lightyear-which I am
horrible at, but I still love riding it.
buzzlightyear.jpg

We took a turn on the highways of Autopia.
100_5553.jpg

And then rode Space Mountain & it rocked again!!!! This time we got to ride in the very front!!!!
100_5564.jpg

100_5566.jpg

Did you know there is a hidden Mickey made by the speakers?
100_5565.jpg

We were going to ride the monorail back to the hotel after that, but it was stuck somewhere & wouldn't be running again for 30 minutes we were told-wonder if the Daisy's were on there? So we walked back down Main Street & headed for the hotel to get some rest.
100_5567.jpg

We were tired & had another long day ahead of us tomorrow starting at 7am again.

Next up-Soarin' from a different point of view & private sessions

Great updates again! I agree with you on DLs Toontown, it is so cute!

I'm sorry you missed out on the baked potato soup - it is soooooooo good, I'm getting hungry now just thinking about it! Were you able to eat there later in the trip?

I was going back to add videos & pics so if that update seemed weird you might want to go back to it.
Sadly we did not get the potato soup this trip......:sad2: We changed our dining plans & also didn't do Steakhouse 55 either. Oh well, more things to do next time.

What a great trip report. I am so looking forward to our first trip to Disneyland in August. :tigger: Thank you so much for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter