A jillion trips to WDW but first time to DL CA...am I going to be disappointed?

Please allow to give you the opposite perspective as I'm a DLR AP holder and live in San Diego. Although we haven't been a jillion times, we do go about 4-6 times a year. First off though, this write up may contain some ride spoilers so please be aware before you continue reading.

We recently just came back from a trip to WDW for the first time. We went into the park Mon-Fri. Went into Hollywood Studios, Epcot, 2 days at Magic Kingdom, and then Animal Kingdom. So we were thinking that WDW was going to be super awesome from what everybody was telling us. Don't get me wrong. We had a blast but going into Hollywood Studios and then Epcot, we all said that same thing that these parks just didn't "feel" like we were at "Disneyland/Magic Kingdom." I hate to say this but they felt like secondary parks. Loved some of the unique features but we didn't really feel like we were at a Disney vacation until we walked into Magic Kingdom. Once we got there, since everything is spread out between 4 parks, we actually finished a lot of the must do rides for us pretty quickly so we actually had some free time.

So a couple of things that we didn't like about the WDW set up. First up is that there are 4 main parks, whereas DLR/DCA is just two parks. So in order to experience everything, instead of just paying for two parks like at DLR/DCA, we have to pay for four parks. Didn't like that. I will say that all of the designs and buildings, and queue areas were much more elaborate. Considering that WDW was built after DLR and it has a ton more space, I'm not surprised that it's built the way it is. DLR/DCA is definitely more intimate because they have limited space to build on. I don't call it small. At WDW, my iPhone said that I walking about 20,000 steps per day that we were there! I think at DLR, we're in the 12,000-15,000 range. Another thing that I didn't like was how far apart all of the hotels and resorts are. WDW definitely has their transportation system down but the key word there is transportation. You HAVE to use some kind of transportation to get behind between the parks, hotels, and Disney Springs. It really is its own little "world." Disneyland on the other hand, is more intimate so it's all closer together but unfortunately, our Downtown Disney is definitely not as large as Disney Springs but hotels are much closer. Many are within walking distance. If not, there are Disney trailer trams not like the bus trams that WDW uses. The city of Anaheim also has public bus transportation that you can use too.

Other things to mention is that although WDW has some of the same rides that DLR/DCA may have, they're still a little different. I will be biased here because I grew up going to DLR and of course, it's the original park that Walt Disney built so to compare some of the rides that are available at both parks is tough because what I might find appealing, someone else might not like and vice versa. In any case, I will mention some notable differences for better or worse. First off is Space Mountain. This is hands down way better at DLR because we have Hyper Space Mtn which I was told you guys don't even get. Aside from the layover being 1,000,000 times better, I think the ride at DLR is better. It was kind of bumpy at WDW and the ending was much of a finish like DLR. I think Big Thunder Mountain at WDW may be better because it had some unique twists and turns. It's a Small World is basically the same ride at both places but I will say that since WDW has the Magic Band, the ending personal good bye is a nice touch so I give it to WDW there. The Merry-Go-Round has Cinderella's horse at WDW so that's kinda cool (although I don't believe this is official from WDW.) Also, WDW doesn't have Matterhorn. DLR doesn't have Mission Space. WDW has Test Track but DCA has Radiator Springs which in my opinion is way better. They also have Mater's ride and Luigi's ride too. Dinosaur is comparable to Indian Jones. Both are good rides but my kids actually like the Indiana Jones ride more because of the giant ball. WDW has the Mine Trains and our most favorite Disney ride of all, Everest. We loved that ride. of course DCA has California Screaming but it doesn't compare to Everest. That is just a spectacular ride and I wish they will put that at DLR/DCA someday. The Frozen ride was cool too and was totally caught off guard when it went backwards. We thought that was cool. The water raft ride at WDW was not spectacular at all. It was actually a letdown compared to our version in DCA. We all thought it was too short and didn't offer much thrill.

These are just some of our notes from our trip and again, I'm sure you will agree and disagree on some of my points but please keep in mind these are our opinions and observations of what we saw and experienced. I think either way, you'll have fun. What I told my kids was to have fun and let's get on all of the rides that we can. We'll compare and contrast what we have at DLR/DCA and talk about what we like more and which ones we don't like more. Definitely good topics for good discussions and now that they've been on them, they can actually have an intelligent conversation about why they like or don't like a ride because they have the experience of going on it at least once.
I kept thinking as I read your post that your view of WDW was very "park centric", which is a DLR vet's way of thinking. Nothing wrong with that, it is what it is. WDW vets are more "resort centric" and are confused by DLR vet's constant desire to compare parks. WDW offers so many things outside the parks but within the resort that are very cool. DLR can't do that because of space limitations.

I sensed from your post that you did not experience much or any of those things. Maybe I missed it, but you did not discuss dining. A WDW vet asks "how could you fail to mention Dining?".

On my first visit to Epcot it did not feel Disney at all. Especially World Showcase. Heck, where are the rides? I think that is a typical DLR vet's view of Epcot at first.

As I mulled Epcot over several trips and came to appreciate Walt Disney's fascination with World Fairs, I came to see how World Showcase fit part of Walt Disney's vision. In a way that Disneyland could not. I went on a few WDW tours that also helped me understand that better.

Just my two cents. :)

:wizard:

Feeling a little defensive there Hydro? Many of your points make perfect sense though. Walt also understood that DL was limited in its potential , and from what I gather that was addressed (successfully) as part of WDW.I would like to experience DL some day though when I get a few free days

Wow, lots of questions there! :goodvibes:) :) :)

No doubt, if you think of the resorts as part of the Disney magic, then DLR does not compare. Well, it does a little. But not like what a WDW vet is talking about.

Please do not take what I say personally. I will say that you are defining Disney magic extremely narrowly. I mean, if you define it that way, then a Disney cruise ship can't have Disney magic either.

A DLR vet could define Disney magic only as a place that Walt Disney personally helped create. Just knowing that "Walt walked here" is what defines Disney magic is this line of thinking. Therefore WDW is excluded by definition.

How about a DLR vet's "definition" that Disney magic must involve rides that transform throughout the year? Like DL's Haunted Mansion Holiday, It's a Small World Holiday, and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy? WDW does not have the flexibility that DLR has to do this because they are catering more to out of town guests on vacation who would not accept having HM and IASW going down for several weeks at a time each year to add holiday overlays.

Anyone is free to define Disney magic however they want. I prefer a broader definition which includes the following elements:

o Immersive storytelling
o References to characters we know and love
o Use of advanced technologies
o Use of music
o Optimistic view of the future
o Nostalgic view of the past
o Feeling like you were transported somewhere
o Connecting with family and friends

These can happen anywhere, and do not need a resort hotels for them to happen. DL had Disney magic from the beginning without any resort hotels and was amazingly successful. MK had limited hotels to begin with and was also successful.

If you want to experience Disney magic only like it exists at WDW, then by all means keep going there. If you want to experience how Disney magic exists in other ways, then consider visiting DLR. Also consider visiting DLR Paris, Tokyo Disney Resort, Hong Kong Disney, or the new Shanghai Disney. They all have unique things about them and the ones I have visited have elements that I think are better than anywhere else.

If you visit DLR, there is nothing stopping you from planning as much as you plan at WDW. I do not follow the idea I seem to be getting that since DLR takes less planning, it is not as fun. :scratchin

Absolutely not. Unless you define it that way. Believe it or not, there are MANY people that do not view Disney resorts as vacations at all. I don't. When I want a vacation I go to Hawaii or Europe. Disney visits for me are more like entertainment - like movies, sporting events, concerts, Broadway musicals, Las Vegas, etc. Disney is multi-day entertainment for me.

The idea of connecting "Disney" with "vacation" and putting the word "true" in there is your definition.

Disneyland Resort has so many fun things to do - many of which you cannot do at WDW. I think World of Color is the best Disney show anywhere. If you have not been to DLR you have no idea what you are missing in WOC. WDW's Fantasmic is just sad next to DL's Fantasmic IMO. POTC at MK? Sheesh. Way overshadowed by DL's POTC. I could go on and on.

Anyways, if you want to keep having the same Disney experience over and over, then there is no reason to ever leave WDW. If you want to have Disney experiences you just cannot have at WDW, then consider branching out and being open to a different type of Disney trip. :)

Feeling a little defensive there Hydro? Many of your points make perfect sense though. Walt also understood that DL was limited in its potential , and from what I gather that was addressed (successfully) as part of WDW.I would like to experience DL some day though when I get a few free days

Not so much defensive as trying to open people's minds. If I am defensive, I defend DLR to WDW vets and I defend WDW to DLR vets. As I just did on the post after yours. :)

Not so much defensive as trying to open people's minds. If I am defensive, I defend DLR to WDW vets and I defend WDW to DLR vets. As I just did on the post after yours. :)

I would add that I am fortunate to have visited DLR Paris and Tokyo Disney Resort. These have shaped my views on Disney magic and how it is viewed by other cultures.

I am hoping to visit Shanghai Disney sometime soon. :)

It's funny how opinions can be so differing. I am here now on my first ever DL trip. I am writing this from my room in the GCH. While disappointed would certainly be an overstatement, it is certainly not living up to the hype for me. While I am saying this, I am full well acknowledging that most of the rides here are better and cars and Indiana Jones are likely the two best rides at either the two parks. Many of the things that people are saying that they love, are things that leave me underwhelmed. To each his/her own, but I am feeling quite underwhelmed by the smallness of the smallness of all of it. This likely has a lot to do with history. For me, as a kid, I grew up going to WDW. I have seen all the growth and I am nostalgic for WDW. The other big thing is that I live 1400 miles away, and many people I know that live around me talk about WDW with the same history of going there as kids like I do. Most of those trips are at least a week long or more. Heck, a week is not enough time for WDW, and 4+ days here seems way to much. For me, getting of the plane, and entering the bubble as soon as I check in at the ME is mainly why I love WDW. People actually make resort only trips to WDW and get much enjoyment just enjoying the resorts. I can't imagine this would be the case in DL. I am keeping this very short and sweet, but I could likely write several pages on this topic, if I was not exhausted from walking the parks the last 14 hours. Anyways OP, who cares what I or anyone else's opinions are, this subject likely has a very personal answer for each of us.

Oh...I'm so sorry you have not had a great experience. DL is my home park, and I know that you are not seeing the best of it right now because of the spring break and because so much of it is closed as they build the new Star Wars area. I would never argue which park is best, as I love both DL and WDW, but I can see how somebody would be disappointed with their DL trip right now, and makes me sad to hear that DL did not "deliver" for you.

One thing that I do think is true all the time is that it is easier to spend more days at WDW. DL is a "tighter" environment and so after a few days one does need to seek out some calmness.

Anyhow, I hope that overall you have had a few smiles and laughs in California!

I would add that I am fortunate to have visited DLR Paris and Tokyo Disney Resort. These have shaped my views on Disney magic and how it is viewed by other cultures.

I am hoping to visit Shanghai Disney sometime soon. :)

Definitely envy you , hope to do the same someday :) curious , we are as close to the Paris park as California , how would you compare the 2? Forget the whole Europe experience as that's obviously its own experience.Heard Paris park not as clean and friendly ?

Definitely envy you , hope to do the same someday :) curious , we are as close to the Paris park as California , how would you compare the 2? Forget the whole Europe experience as that's obviously its own experience.Heard Paris park not as clean and friendly ?
I thought the castle in DL Paris was the best of all castles and their FantasyLand was magical. Hard to beat walking around Fantasyland there with all the stories of European heritage (think Peter Pan/British and Pinnocchio/Italy) and hearing all the European accents being spoken around you. It added an extra flavor to FantasyLand. But as a resort I would rank it in 4th place behind DLR/WDW/TDR. As a resort WDW is tops IMO. As a park, DL is tops IMO. DLRP was not up there IMO.

DLRP had issues with maintenance when I was there - 10 years ago. Weeds growing on some of the rides was not what I expected. They had the best stage show of Tarzan. I loved it. I think that is long gone. They had issues with being able to have fireworks at night. So they had fireworks before it was really dark in June.

The Walt Disney Company recently just bought DLRP 100%. So maybe there will be some changes.

I would not try extra hard to go back to DLRP. I was in Paris last summer and never thought to go. I would go again at some point. Just not when it is up against a desire to see Paris again (my favorite city).

It's funny how opinions can be so differing. I am here now on my first ever DL trip. I am writing this from my room in the GCH. While disappointed would certainly be an overstatement, it is certainly not living up to the hype for me. While I am saying this, I am full well acknowledging that most of the rides here are better and cars and Indiana Jones are likely the two best rides at either the two parks. Many of the things that people are saying that they love, are things that leave me underwhelmed. To each his/her own, but I am feeling quite underwhelmed by the smallness of the smallness of all of it. This likely has a lot to do with history. For me, as a kid, I grew up going to WDW. I have seen all the growth and I am nostalgic for WDW. The other big thing is that I live 1400 miles away, and many people I know that live around me talk about WDW with the same history of going there as kids like I do. Most of those trips are at least a week long or more. Heck, a week is not enough time for WDW, and 4+ days here seems way to much. For me, getting of the plane, and entering the bubble as soon as I check in at the ME is mainly why I love WDW. People actually make resort only trips to WDW and get much enjoyment just enjoying the resorts. I can't imagine this would be the case in DL. I am keeping this very short and sweet, but I could likely write several pages on this topic, if I was not exhausted from walking the parks the last 14 hours. Anyways OP, who cares what I or anyone else's opinions are, this subject likely has a very personal answer for each of us.

Well, I guess my response would be -- to each his own. I love Disneyland for what it is, but I'm not really into the whole "whose is bigger/better" thing. I have never been to WDW. I had planned a trip in a couple of years but after reading the posts from people who are frequent visitors, I don't think its the kind of place I would enjoy spending time in.

Last edited:
Just throwing my opinion in as DL is my home park but went to WDW for 10 nights. I did enjoy WDW but felt rushed and had to time things. It didn't feel relaxing to me. (if I had been more and didn't feel the need to see everything, that probably would change). DL feels more relaxed. If you feel like going to DCA instead of DL, you can do it easily without worrying about dining. I hated leaving every park waiting for a ferry or a bus. I do like the fact that when I leave DL/DCA, I walk across the street. If you are looking for a 10 day Disney vacation at DL, yeah that is a little much. If willing to venture outside DL, they do have tours that leave from the area so you don't have to rent a car. I what I enjoy from both parks is how well Disney Imagineering is, the engineering of their rides with the music, smells, the characters.

It's a fascinating discussion for sure, and with really no "right" answer.

We live in Australia, so either coast is a big deal to get to for us. We have been to Disneyland twice, in 2012 and 2015. We have been to Disney World once, in 2015 (on the same trip as Disneyland). We love both resorts, but our family agrees that our favourite is Disneyland. Lots of reasons really, like the little details present everywhere, the climate, the fact you can walk everywhere and some DLR exclusives like Cars Land, WOC etc. I wouldn't ever turn down a trip to WDW of course, but if I had to pick a favourite it'd be Disneyland just about every time.

Interestingly some friends of our came over for lunch last week and we were discussing Disney trips. We are going back to Disneyland in September and they are going to Disney World not long after we get back home. They've only been to WDW - the dad did a day trip to Disneyland when he was in California for a conference and confessed that he was underwhelmed. I totally understood though - if you're used to WDW, the different pace of DLR can seem strange. And it very much is a horses for courses thing. Maybe the first park you visit influences you subtly. Maybe one suits your style of vacationing a bit more.

For the OP, give DLR a chance, and it might surprise you. And if it doesn't, that's ok too.

I grew up on the East coast and went to WDW twice as a kid. I was used to the huge parks. Moved to CA in my 20s and was shocked how DL is in the middle of the city. But I love it. Went back to WDW a couple years ago and didn't like having to take transportation everywhere and how everything was so spread out. Really disliked having to have dining reservations for everything and having to schedule everything. Too stressful to me. I prefer DL. More magical and relaxing. Also I think RSR blows Test Track out of the water. Sorry to those who like that ride, but I was underwhelmed. Cars is way more fun IMO.

I'm going to be simple about this. :) Both parks are great. Both parks are fun. I've never ha a bad trip at either. Relax, enjoy DLR for what it is (in other words, don't constantly compare) and just have fun! I love both DLR and WDW, but I do give he edge to DLR in terms of how it makes me feel (it just fees more magical) and to WDW in terms of things to do besides the parks (enjoy the resorts, I mean- we never stay on site at DLR but we only stay on site at WDW).

They are both amazing and magical places with tons to enjoy.

I do not think you will be disappointed at all. Just don't expect WDW. One thing I would like to say is that although I consider WDW my home park and its the park I prefer for nostalgic reasons, it DOES NOT make it better than DL. I hate when people just make flat out declarations that one is better than the other. They have different things for different people and are both amazing resorts!

The first time I went to DL was for the 60th Anniversary in July. I felt such magic and it was an amazing trip. We were able to do so much. I will say my second trip in December/January was a little disappointing but I think that's because we went during a crazy time and it was super packed so we didn't get to do much.

My tips as a WDW vet is number 1, as I said, do not expect WDW. The park is more casual in my opinion. It has locals working there and visiting there mostly and its not as immersive. It's not as hidden away in its own little world and for a split second I made the mistake of thinking it wasn't as magical because of that. There is magic everywhere if you are willing to look :)

Another tip is you cant really plan that far in advance for it. For me this is a little draw back because just personally I like using FP+ to book fastpasses from the comfort of my home or office instead of running around to kiosks and having to go super early to get a good slot. This is just a personal preference though, I'm a weirdo who finds the fun in planning my day and not having to worry about figuring out what I'm gonna do the day of.

The queues are typically outside which for me is a slight drawback but that's because I'm a freak who doesn't love sunshine lol. I will also say the queues don't seem to be as entertaining/interactive/themed? as WDW.

One last slightly negative thing is the crowds. If you are going during a busy time the crowds can be intense due to the smaller size. I don't want to be one of those people who complain about how small it is but in that one aspect that's when you really notice it. I've been to WDW lots of times during their busy seasons but I have never seen it get to the point where there are cast members directing crowds and holding signs saying which way to walk. This is a small negative though because as long as you're willing to plan around the busiest times you should be good!

The best parts of DL are the fact that there are rides every where you look. Disney World has a lot of space that's used to create immersion and DL has rides within a few feet of each other. So there's lots to do with less walking.

Also the fact that a good majority of the rides themselves are better than their counterparts at WDW (with the exception of Splash Mountain I'll say).

Instead of spending a good half hour at least traveling to another WDW park you can literally walk like 2 minutes if even from DL to DCA.

There's so many other great things about DL but the last I'll say before I write a book is the fact that it is the original. Walt walked up and down this main street. He designed this park. You can imagine what it was like during his time and feel that old school charm. It gives me all the feels :lovestruc

I do not think you will be disappointed at all. Just don't expect WDW. One thing I would like to say is that although I consider WDW my home park and its the park I prefer for nostalgic reasons, it DOES NOT make it better than DL. I hate when people just make flat out declarations that one is better than the other. They have different things for different people and are both amazing resorts!

The first time I went to DL was for the 60th Anniversary in July. I felt such magic and it was an amazing trip. We were able to do so much. I will say my second trip in December/January was a little disappointing but I think that's because we went during a crazy time and it was super packed so we didn't get to do much.

My tips as a WDW vet is number 1, as I said, do not expect WDW. The park is more casual in my opinion. It has locals working there and visiting there mostly and its not as immersive. It's not as hidden away in its own little world and for a split second I made the mistake of thinking it wasn't as magical because of that. There is magic everywhere if you are willing to look :)

Another tip is you cant really plan that far in advance for it. For me this is a little draw back because just personally I like using FP+ to book fastpasses from the comfort of my home or office instead of running around to kiosks and having to go super early to get a good slot. This is just a personal preference though, I'm a weirdo who finds the fun in planning my day and not having to worry about figuring out what I'm gonna do the day of.

The queues are typically outside which for me is a slight drawback but that's because I'm a freak who doesn't love sunshine lol. I will also say the queues don't seem to be as entertaining/interactive/themed? as WDW.

One last slightly negative thing is the crowds. If you are going during a busy time the crowds can be intense due to the smaller size. I don't want to be one of those people who complain about how small it is but in that one aspect that's when you really notice it. I've been to WDW lots of times during their busy seasons but I have never seen it get to the point where there are cast members directing crowds and holding signs saying which way to walk. This is a small negative though because as long as you're willing to plan around the busiest times you should be good!

The best parts of DL are the fact that there are rides every where you look. Disney World has a lot of space that's used to create immersion and DL has rides within a few feet of each other. So there's lots to do with less walking.

Also the fact that a good majority of the rides themselves are better than their counterparts at WDW (with the exception of Splash Mountain I'll say).

Instead of spending a good half hour at least traveling to another WDW park you can literally walk like 2 minutes if even from DL to DCA.

There's so many other great things about DL but the last I'll say before I write a book is the fact that it is the original. Walt walked up and down this main street. He designed this park. You can imagine what it was like during his time and feel that old school charm. It gives me all the feels :lovestruc
I thought this was an awesome and balanced summary of DLR/WDW.

I will add something about "crowds". DLR may feel more crowded than WDW because as @Catvondita summarized the walkways are narrower and the parks are smaller. However, it has been my consistent experience that the lines at DLR are significantly shorter than WDW. I think this is in part because DLR has a higher ride concentration in the parks to disburse guests. So some may say DLR feels less crowded than WDW, by which they mean the lines for rides and most everything else are shorter.

I read so many threads prior to our first visit to DLR last fall, my expectations were rather tame. After being to WDW several times, I figured I was going to be let down to a degree, but still just wanted to see it. Long story short: we're planning a return trip later this year. First time we ever effectively park hopped, loved the closeness of the two parks and amount of rides/walking distance! Have fun, it'll be a new experience, enjoy!

I am a Disney World Vet that had a chance to visit (Disneyland Only not DCA) for a day trip ( Martin Luther King Jr Holiday). My thoughts:

Overall, I wasn't overly disappointed. I didn't feel the overall Disney bubble glee that I get on a trip to WDW. I kinda felt like I was at "A" theme park, not THE theme park. That being said I did read a DL history book before I came and that helped me enjoy my trip. I went to the fire station and thought about how Walt's APT was just upstairs, I touched the pole in the station that the little red headed boy climbed up to get into Walt's apartment. I looked at every detail I could remember from the book I read.

I also appreciated the good and bad differences between rides in parks:

THE GOOD
1) The foliage in Jungle Cruise: If you read the back story, you can really appreciate how much of a jungle it looks like esp in the queue compared to WDW, as well as the added piranha effects.
2) The availability of things to play with on TOM SAWYERS's ISLAND
3) The length and cavern of Pirates of the Caribbean.
4) Space Mountain is completely different, beside the fact that they are both in the dark and the themes are the same, I would say that they are two completely different rides.
5) The oldies are there: Mr. Toad's Wilde Ride, Snow White's Scary Adventures, Mickeys Toon Town.
6) Paper FastPass!
7) Indiana Jones Ride!
8) Haunted Mansion Outside looks so much better!

The BAD
1) I was thoroughly unimpressed with their version of Fantasmic. I think the main reason was the the fact that they do it on the lake in DL with standing room instead of in a separate theater where everyone could sit. It just ruined the magic a little not being able to sit. I think the dragon is better and it was cool to see different scenes but I found myself feeling like hearing the original song that an artist sampled from and preferring the new version.

2) Its a small world. Just NO. I was expecting it to be better than the WDW version but they only thing that was better was the outside mural and disney doll add in's. I couldn't stop myself from looking at the damaged drop ceilings. The ride itself is above the scenery meaning you look down into the ride, instead of slightly below looking. You could see the dead space in between props and it kind of ruined the illusion.

3) Wishes. The fireworks weren't as plentiful as WDW's.

4) From what I read, I thought I'd see a lot more characters walking freely. I was disappointing because I hardly saw any during my trip.

The Different

1) Wait.........Star Tours is in Tommorowland
2) Why is pirates in a New Orleans looking Mansion?

That being said, I'm going back again in a couple of months. I still prefer WDW and I believe whichever is your home park is always your favorite. Even though there were things I thought were better at WDW, I still appreciated being able to make those comparisons. If your that type of person that likes to smell the roses, reading a guide book about the history helps you appreciate things.

I'm late to this party, but I will say that a few years ago, when I first went to DL after going to WDW, I was a little disappointed, what with their cute miniature castle and all. ;) Since then though I appreciate DL more and I think they added some impressive things for the 60th whereas WDW has too much construction and some issues at the moment. I'd probably say I still like WDW more, but DL is great in it's own right.

So I'll be 100% honest - I am a long time WDW fan. I even had an AP when I lived in Florida. At 36 I took my first DL trip last year because my family wanted to mark it off of the bucket list. It was my parents, myself, and my 27 year old brother. I thought that I was going to be so disappointed because it's smaller, only 2 parks, etc.

I COULDN'T HAVE BEEN ANY MORE WRONG!!!!!!!

I now LOVE DL! I'm trying to convince the family to go back to DL next time instead of WDW. There are so many things, but I think it's just that DL is easier. I'm a big time planner and when we last went to WDW a couple of years ago, I started way ahead of time to make sure that we had our Magic Bands, ADRs, FP+ reservations, etc. etc. I ended up with a whole binder of preparation. We also made sure that we set aside separate time for each park and Downtown Disney because of how long it would take to go between each of them. It was a blast and a great trip, but it took a lot of effort.

Fast forward to DL and it was so easy and quick to use the legacy FP system, Park Hop, even go to Downtown Disney in the same day. Plus all of my favorite rides were still there, plus a couple new ones. The overall feel was not as busy or crowded as well and the whole trip was just easier and more laid back. I love DL and I am hoping that our next trip will be there instead of WDW actually! :)

I feel like @HydroGuy is sort of the Dos Equis Man of the DISBoards...."the most interesting man in the world".

Appreciate your insights, man. Longtime WDW vet visiting DL for the first time in three months, and I couldn't be any more excited(and nervous....only two days, and only one park per day, so I'm gonna be pretty hardcore).

One unexpected negative though that very much surprised me is the lack of friendliness we encountered as a whole. While there certainly has been a whole bunch of friendly people here, we have experienced downright cast member rudeness at least 7 or 8 times.

We said he same thing about DL! Being used to WDW, if you ever asked a question that someone didn't know the answer to, you didn't have to wait long for the WDW CM to find someone who did know the answer. At DL, they'd say "no, sorry" and you'd be out of luck. That's not to say it ruined any part of our trip. Just a little culture shock I suppose.

One thing that throws me off going from WDW to DL is that I'm used to over planning and tweaking reservations. So many times we found ourselves in DL just hanging around waiting for something to happen. We spent a whole afternoon at the flag pole waiting for different characters to come out so we could take fun photos or have different interactions. While I prefaced this with what sounded like a negative - "waiting around", it wasn't. It was just a different way of enjoying the parks. Could you imagine in WDW just waiting for characters to come out randomly and having a few fun moments with them? Nope. Even Characterpalooza in HS is cut-throat compared to DL.

On a separate and weird DL note... We met Jasmine at the main entrance to DL. As someone mentioned, there are no PhotoPass people or CMs with characters sometimes, which is never the case in WDW. About 2 minutes into waiting, Jasmine holds the line, walks up to us and says "you will be the last family in line. Can you tell other families that come after you?"... Umm.... Sure... We proceeded to do that and about 3-4 groups said to us "oh well maybe we can still meet her"... Didn't happen. But what am I supposed to do as a DL guest? Police the line? Weird.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter